Sign in to follow this  
kshipe

Best way to get to/from show from central London?

I'm from the US and will happen to be on holiday in London at time of the shows. I managed to get tix for me and the family to go on Sunday. My wife and I have been to numerous shows over the years but this will be the first U2 concert for my 9 yo daughter and 2nd for my 15 yo. Anyway, we are staying in London near Westminster next to Waterloo station. I have researched it and can't figure out if it is best to take the tube, the train or hire a car service. The train seems the most logical, but I do not want the family to have to wait a couple hours after the show to get on a train, but I don't know if it is really that bad. Twickenham looks like a very small station. I see you can buy train tickets for specific trains, but does that guarantee you will get train or is first come/first serve because the tickets also say anytime return?

Any insights/ suggestions are appreciated.

Getting out to Twickenham will be straight forward for you......get the overground train direct from Waterloo, out to St Margaret's or Twickenham (both on the same line), and either station will put you within walking distance (10 mins) of the stadium.......

Getting back into Central London after the gig might be a bit more problematic, purely down to the crowds......

It really depends on whether you want to get a head start, which would mean leaving the gig early, and before U2 leave the stage.......this would give you a huge advantage over thousands of others, and you will probably be able to get directly onto the platform at Twickenham to get the next train back to Waterloo.

Otherwise though, you will join a huge queue which will extend through the streets from the train station.....and you'll just have to wait until the queue reduces as each train passes through and fills up.....

I would think (and hope), that extra trains will be running to get people back to central London.....and another little trick might be to get to the westbound platform (away from central London) at Twickenham, which should be quiet / empty, travel one stop up to Teddington....get off the train, get round to the London bound platform, and then board the train, which will then take you back through Twickenham and into London....you will also get a seat doing it this way, whereas most others getting on a Twickenham will be standing and packed in like sardines !!!!

Personally, there's no way I would leave the gig early....but I appreciate with younger family members, your priorities might be different on this occasion.....

Enjoy the day, I'll be there with you.....

Thanks for the awesome response. is private car hire or Uber even a possibility after the gig? Any advantage to buying the train tickets in advance vs buying them day off at the Waterloo station?

No problem at all......

I personally wouldn't waste time with car hire / rental - if you mean to drive to the stadium yourself ?? You might get hit with congestion charges within central London, and there will be road closures around the stadium, the closer you get......you will have to park up, and walk the rest of the way......

In my opinion, the train is definitely the best option, certainly getting out to the stadium....

And yes, Uber for your return to London after the gig is another option you could use......they should know the best routes to try and dodge the heavy traffic etc.....

And the cost of train travel on the day should be fairly minimal......just get a day pass covering Zone 7 (I think), no major saving in getting train tickets in advance..... you will be able to get your tickets sorted at Waterloo.

You could  head for Boston Manor tube if you grab an Uber after the gig. Roughly 5 miles from Twickenham straight into central London on the Piccadilly line.

Another alternative is to walk from Twickenham Stadium to Whitton Railway Station (Its about 10-15 minutes walk). Its the next station outbound from Twickenham, so you'll then be getting onboard the trains that are heading back into London, getting a seat before the train hits Twickenham Station and the resultant crowds. I've only been to Twickenham once before (for an NFL game last year) and its a nightmare getting away from. 

is Hounslow railway station a viable alternative? especially as it appears to be on a different route into the centre of London than Twickenham/St Margarets or Whitton railway stations.

Walk about 1.5 miles to Richmond tube station, and get into central london that way.  I did this after the Giants/Rams game in October.  it took about 25 minutes to get to richmond, then about 45 minutes to get into central london.  the crowds to get on a train at Twickenham station were ridiculous.  

I would echo what an earlier person said, don't even think about using taxis or Uber, get the train from Waterloo out to Twickenham, the stadium is about a 10 minute walk away.

On the way back if you are out with the first batch of people & get to the station quickly & there is no queue then get in line & wait, if not & the queue is enormous, head for the platform with trains going away from London, get the first train & then get off at the next station, cross over to the platform with trains heading back into London & grab the first train.

I live to the West of London in Ascot so luckily for me whenever I am at Twickenham for rugby matches or gigs I get to walk past the huge London bound queues & am usually on the first train heading West that comes into the station.

PM me if you have any more specific questions.

The police & the stewards are used to dealing with huge crowds at Twickenham so they usually have things well organised