febottini

2017 Subscription Gift Announced

66 posts in this topic

Vinyl will never sound as good as music on digital formats. With that in mind, this gift is crap, given that most people don't have turntables.

Regardless of the apparent success of Record Store Day, vinyl sales make up 5% of the albums market, which is tiny.

Meh... I'm over TJT already...

I don't have a record player but I like this gift - it has made me want to buy a record player either that or borrow my dads

I click on redeem, the extra window opens up, and then I'm asked to pay an extra $97 for the gift ($85 plus shipping and tax).  I already paid for my $40 subscription, but now I'm being asked to pay an extra nearly $100 for the "free" gift.  Anyone else have this problem?  Anyone else maybe know a solution?

I click on redeem, the extra window opens up, and then I'm asked to pay an extra $97 for the gift ($85 plus shipping and tax).  I already paid for my $40 subscription, but now I'm being asked to pay an extra nearly $100 for the "free" gift.  Anyone else have this problem?  Anyone else maybe know a solution?

the transaction will zero out as you proceed.

a screenshot:

promocode_zpsqi7kpzt5.png

a screenshot:

promocode_zpsqi7kpzt5.png

Thanks for the screenshot.  Mine still shows the subtotal of $85, so it is not zeroing out for me.  I even tried to put that coupon code in manually that you have on your screenshot, but it does not change a thing. I renewed my subscription yesterday. I may give it a couple of extra days since the gift was just announced and see what happens, but hopefully this will clear up on its own cause I really want those vinyls!

I did not receive a confirmation email, got through all the stages fine and clicked redeem and received confirmation on screen, but no email, anyone else had this?

I did not receive a confirmation email, got through all the stages fine and clicked redeem and received confirmation on screen, but no email, anyone else had this?

It could take a couple of hours for the confirmation email.

That was about 36 hours ago

That was about 36 hours ago

my confirmation took many hours to arrive... in any case, I checked the profile to see if the status had any change, which it had... so in a way, it's relief.

I understand and agree that the email is important to have, for if a situation arises (as it would be a proof). Please have patience and wait - also and apologies for asking this (I have too!!!): please check the trash folder - it may have gone there...

for the meantime, I suggest to screenshot the profile page and save it, so you have some form of proof, for if needed...

I am getting so frustrated with this.its not working for me,If this doesn't work out,Im done paying for this website !

Just an idea...

Did you receive the email saying you have to?

If your renewal or new subscription is recent you might not need to redeem (again just my two cents)

Just an idea...

Did you receive the email saying you have to?

If your renewal or new subscription is recent you might not need to redeem (again just my two cents)

I did receive the email with the steps I have to take.Thanks anyways for trying to help.

On 04/05/2017 at 7:58 AM, dmway said:

I don't have a turntable either and I don't want to buy one. I guess they will be "art" to look at like the other vinyl I have gotten from the site...sigh...

I have a humble request for the powers that be.

If you don't want to release CD versions of music releases, could you at least release LOSSLESS downloads and not just mp3's? Even WAV files would be infinitely preferred to mp3's. I would love these songs on CD; if you don't/won't release them that way, at least allow us the option to create CDs of the songs ourselves - lossless versions and/or WAV versions would allow us to do so. Those who want mp3's can easily convert lossless files and WAV files to mp3's - there are plenty of free programs/apps that let people do that. mp3's are compressed and lossy - PLEASE allow us to have access to the full-spectrum sound (or at least CD-quality versions) of the songs.

Thank you.

Great Comment !!! Sums up what I think about it !

On 5/4/2017 at 0:58 AM, dmway said:

I don't have a turntable either and I don't want to buy one. I guess they will be "art" to look at like the other vinyl I have gotten from the site...sigh...

I have a humble request for the powers that be.

If you don't want to release CD versions of music releases, could you at least release LOSSLESS downloads and not just mp3's? Even WAV files would be infinitely preferred to mp3's. I would love these songs on CD; if you don't/won't release them that way, at least allow us the option to create CDs of the songs ourselves - lossless versions and/or WAV versions would allow us to do so. Those who want mp3's can easily convert lossless files and WAV files to mp3's - there are plenty of free programs/apps that let people do that. mp3's are compressed and lossy - PLEASE allow us to have access to the full-spectrum sound (or at least CD-quality versions) of the songs.

Thank you.

17 hours ago, pain_18_ said:

Great Comment !!! Sums up what I think about it !

Thank you very much! :D

All I want is for us to have proper, good-sounding versions of these songs - allow those who want to make mp3's of them to make those mp3's themselves (it's very simple); allow the rest of us to have access to lossless (or at least CD-quality) versions of the tracks. It doesn't cost any more to have the lossless versions - the songs are recorded in a lossless fashion in the first place!

Please, Powers-That-Be, please...

On 2017-5-4 at 8:49 AM, Musicality said:

Vinyl will never sound as good as music on digital formats.

Have you listened to music on vinyl? If not do yourself a favour and try it if you can.

It really is superior to digital no question. Sure there may be some pops here and there but it's a small drawback considering the fuller sound you experience.

I'm very excited about this gift. Ideally I'd prefer the downloads to be in FLAC but you can't always get what you want.

3 hours ago, CorkVegan said:

Ideally I'd prefer the downloads to be in FLAC but you can't always get what you want.

However, getting them into a lossless format is easier - the songs are recorded in a lossless fashion in the first place. It actually requires extra effort to convert the original lossless recordings into mp3 format.

If they are determined to take this extra time for file conversion, then please convert it to a better format like WAV, if lossless is somehow "too difficult".

Our yearly dues - dues we pay whether or not there is a new album or tour - pay for things like these. It's a bit amusing that many regard the gift as a "free" one and, as an extension, that somehow we don't have the right to complain - not true; our dues allow these gifts to come into being.

Now, don't get me wrong - I am not ungrateful for the yearly gift; it's a great idea. However, think of how much yearly revenue is generated by the fans here who pay $40/$50 a year every year (yes, my hand is up). I think we should have the opportunity to make suggestions on how to make the site experience more satisfactory. This ask of mine/ours is not at all an unreasonable one - the position of "vinyl, mp3, or feck off" is...

R.E.M. (may the band rest in peace) had a full-time forum, pre-sale ticket access, and an annual Christmas Gift for the princely sum of $10 annually. Food for thought.

So, to summarize - there are literally thousands of us here who do not have a turntable, do not want to buy a turntable, want to enjoy the annual gift (which we are grateful for) in a format that is worth listening to, i.e., not mp3. If a CD option is just not in the works, then please allow us to create CDs of our own in a CD-quality format. Thus endeth my humble suggestion.

(P.S. Please don't take this response as an individual flaming, CorkVegan - your reply just allowed me to state the proposition more fully. :D

Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, dmway said:

P.S. Please don't take this response as an individual flaming, CorkVegan - your reply just allowed me to state the proposition more fully. :D

Nothing but love for you brother.

All good points well made.

P.S. While flac is compressed I believe it to be lossless. That's why I suggested it as a format, smaller than wav to download.

Edited by CorkVegan

8 hours ago, dmway said:

However, getting them into a lossless format is easier - the songs are recorded in a lossless fashion in the first place. It actually requires extra effort to convert the original lossless recordings into mp3 format.

If they are determined to take this extra time for file conversion, then please convert it to a better format like WAV, if lossless is somehow "too difficult".

Our yearly dues - dues we pay whether or not there is a new album or tour - pay for things like these. It's a bit amusing that many regard the gift as a "free" one and, as an extension, that somehow we don't have the right to complain - not true; our dues allow these gifts to come into being.

Now, don't get me wrong - I am not ungrateful for the yearly gift; it's a great idea. However, think of how much yearly revenue is generated by the fans here who pay $40/$50 a year every year (yes, my hand is up). I think we should have the opportunity to make suggestions on how to make the site experience more satisfactory. This ask of mine/ours is not at all an unreasonable one - the position of "vinyl, mp3, or feck off" is...

R.E.M. (may the band rest in peace) had a full-time forum, pre-sale ticket access, and an annual Christmas Gift for the princely sum of $10 annually. Food for thought.

So, to summarize - there are literally thousands of us here who do not have a turntable, do not want to buy a turntable, want to enjoy the annual gift (which we are grateful for) in a format that is worth listening to, i.e., not mp3. If a CD option is just not in the works, then please allow us to create CDs of our own in a CD-quality format. Thus endeth my humble suggestion.

(P.S. Please don't take this response as an individual flaming, CorkVegan - your reply just allowed me to state the proposition more fully. :D

This is Even Better than the previous Thing, hah, !

Do you think we'll ever get to the stage where we have enough or too much U2 stuff?  I'm getting close as very soon I will probably need to get the floor in my place reinforced:lol:

30 minutes ago, joshthetree said:

Do you think we'll ever get to the stage where we have enough or too much U2 stuff?  I'm getting close as very soon I will probably need to get the floor in my place reinforced:lol:

Is there such a thing? :P I've had some people call my stuff a shrine and some ask when I'm going to charge admission to my museum. 

3 hours ago, joshthetree said:

3 hours ago, mich40 said:

Is there such a thing? :P I've had some people call my stuff a shrine and some ask when I'm going to charge admission to my museum. 

:D

We will all have our own personal RnRHOF u2 collections! :)

7 hours ago, pain_18_ said:

This is Even Better than the previous Thing, hah, !

Why, thank you! :)

I'm just a bit frustrated when organizations involved in music think that mp3's are the same quality as vinyl or CDs in sound quality and thus, in their minds, are "equivalents" - they're just not. That's an objective fact that can be proven with simple numbers (vis a vis, file sizes) or metaphorically.

I hope we can appeal to the good nature of the people at the top and get a proper, good-sounding download for this gift.

11 hours ago, CorkVegan said:

Nothing but love for you brother.

All good points well made.

P.S. While flac is compressed I believe it to be lossless. That's why I suggested it as a format, smaller than wav to download.

Thank you as well! :D

Yes - I'd be happy with either, lossless (i.e., FLAC) or WAV. I hope it happens.

There's a reason why you generally can't get mp3's of classical or jazz music commercially, i.e., they know how much of the actual music is lost in the transfer downward. U2's music is full of emotion and dynamism - it's just diminished in an inferior format. Everyone's music is...

11 minutes ago, dmway said:

Thank you as well! :D

Yes - I'd be happy with either, lossless (i.e., FLAC) or WAV. I hope it happens.

There's a reason why you generally can't get mp3's of classical or jazz music commercially, i.e., they know how much of the actual music is lost in the transfer downward. U2's music is full of emotion and dynamism - it's just diminished in an inferior format. Everyone's music is...

Read my mind.....!!!!

I think 24-96 WAV is the best thing right now....