Sign in to follow this  
bigwave

Vancouver Live Thread #U2TheJoshuaTree2017

Has anyone seen a good pic of the merch available with prices? Thanks!

2 hours ago, JMLU2 said:

The American people did use the strong power of its people. The American people said enough is enough. The American people have spoken.  It is what it is.  Instead of dividing us even more .... we should ALL try and unite together instead of dividing us even more.  That's what should be happening not spouting off about your own personal feeling  work together compromise.  A statue,  painting is not verbally telling me that I'm wrong for what I feel and it should be this way .  This is not the thread to continue this discussion so that's all I'm gonna say about it in this thread.  I just want to hear the music not your thoughts on your political view.  Just the music 

Please don't start with that. We all know who won the popular vote by over 3 MILLION.

One of the reasons I have loved U2 for over 30 years and that they have never been afraid to express their opinions or get involved in causes where people might have differing opinions.

That said, I was so excited reading about the show last night and cannot wait until next Saturday when I see them at the Rose Bowl. Thanks to everyone who shared pictures and videos! The Joshua Tree is a masterpiece. I thought so 30 years ago the first time I saw them live.

So great to see some familiar faces & new people. Just amazing the vibe & great show!!?

Love the screen images of Joshua Tree & other US National Monuments State Parks preserving the integrity& beauty of the land.

Remember to protect these lands from drilling & mining as they are under direct threat from the President of the United States. ?

Just bringing this to awareness as of this week , officially under review.????????

Really liked the start even though it threw me off a wee bit hearing so many staples so early.

Not sure about the synth intro to Homecoming, but once the full band kicked in it was great.

Ultraviolet was a very nice surprise. 

Miss Sarajevo was pretty moving but i agree with at least one other post here that it's not as powerful without Bono handling the full vocals. I also think that as symbolic as the crowd banner is, I found it really cause the song to drag on as it seemed the band was waiting for it to be carried to a certain point before finishing the song.

Really happy to see that many of the AB staples are dropped for this tour.

Get rid of Elevation and sub it in with something else and the setlist could be approaching perfection.

I was really excited to hear Red Hill but it sounded really messy to me (looking forward to a bootleg so I can give it another listen.)

Final comment - I thought Bono was "speaking" a lot of the vocals which was a little bit of a surprise and disappointing. 

For me it was a really good start to the tour but there is a fair bit of room to tighten-up (Bono missed some vocal cues/lines, Red Hill) I think.

Edited by enriquediaz

3 hours ago, JMLU2 said:

The American people did use the strong power of its people. The American people said enough is enough. The American people have spoken.  It is what it is.  Instead of dividing us even more .... we should ALL try and unite together instead of dividing us even more.  That's what should be happening not spouting off about your own personal feeling  work together compromise.  A statue,  painting is not verbally telling me that I'm wrong for what I feel and it should be this way .  This is not the thread to continue this discussion so that's all I'm gonna say about it in this thread.  I just want to hear the music not your thoughts on your political view.  Just the music 

U2 have always been political and have always expressed their political/social views live. It's the difference between artists and entertainers. There are plenty of acts that just want to entertain and they'll be happy to take your money. Artists have a message. There job is to do something bigger with their art form. That's always been U2. Look, if you're a long time fan, something tells me your views/leanings have shifted recently and maybe now for the first time you find yourself on the opposing end of U2's views when it comes to what's happening in America right now. Otherwise, how are you still a fan and have been okay with them being this way for all these years? Also, if U2 saying what they say is troubling you, maybe dig down to the deeper reason why.

8 hours ago, JMLU2 said:

I'm very well aware of this.  Why bash those with different views?  Just unite us instead of dividing us.  I enjoy the music of U2 always have ...always will.  If you want to talk about your views then have a round table discussion with those who are interested in your views at a different time and place. So those who have different opinions don't have to feel like we are wrong because our view is different then what he feels. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but to make people feel like their wrong is not right.  I didn't pay to be told that my view is wrong. I payed with hard earned money to hear your music not your view on what you think is right. 

I think exposing views that are objectively, scientifically, filled with hate, misogyny, racism and cruelty isn't a bad thing. If we are agree that those things are evil, we are united. If we don't agree, shame, just enjoy the music and allow rational discourse to carry the day. Slides are fun, but slipper slopes are dangerous for the world.

11 hours ago, htdaab34 said:

Well in my opinion he could find a way to unite us not divide us

I don't think most liberals have any desire to be united with the conservatives that support the current administration. As far as I'm concerned, the wedge needs to keep being pounded in.

Did anyone experience obstructed views at this venue?  I am trying to figure out if I am going to have issues with my seats at the concert I am attending.  Thanks.

21 hours ago, kings said:

Be thankful that both of you have the right to express your politics. If you think U2 will keep their mouths shut as politics hits a new all time low you're delusional.

or all time high according to the way you look at it. 

5 hours ago, jenniferoc1971 said:

Please don't start with that. We all know who won the popular vote by over 3 MILLION.

One of the reasons I have loved U2 for over 30 years and that they have never been afraid to express their opinions or get involved in causes where people might have differing opinions.

That said, I was so excited reading about the show last night and cannot wait until next Saturday when I see them at the Rose Bowl. Thanks to everyone who shared pictures and videos! The Joshua Tree is a masterpiece. I thought so 30 years ago the first time I saw them live.

too bad states vote and not people...right?

1 hour ago, Katiesheb said:

Did anyone experience obstructed views at this venue?  I am trying to figure out if I am going to have issues with my seats at the concert I am attending.  Thanks.

I had seats off to the side and I couldn't see 100% of what was being projected in the centre area of the screen.

7 hours ago, tvham said:

I have a couple pics of the merch table, I wasn't able to get them to load though but shirts were $45 Canadian. I bought two shirts came out to $69. They had an event shirt with the Joshua Tree cover photo on the front and on the back instead of the tour dates it had "BC Place Stadium, Vancouver, BC May 12 2017"
It was a good selection 6 or 7 shirts to choose from, a couple of hoodies, and a bomber jacket. Mumford and Sons had only 3 shirts and of those three two where the same but on a different color shirt.
Other stuff: Water bottle, tour book, wristband, beanie, lanyard, regular hat.

Edited by Idvikin

5 hours ago, enriquediaz said:

Really liked the start even though it threw me off a wee bit hearing so many staples so early.

Not sure about the synth intro to Homecoming, but once the full band kicked in it was great.

Ultraviolet was a very nice surprise. 

Miss Sarajevo was pretty moving but i agree with at least one other post here that it's not as powerful without Bono handling the full vocals. I also think that as symbolic as the crowd banner is, I found it really cause the song to drag on as it seemed the band was waiting for it to be carried to a certain point before finishing the song.

Really happy to see that many of the AB staples are dropped for this tour.

Get rid of Elevation and sub it in with something else and the setlist could be approaching perfection.

I was really excited to hear Red Hill but it sounded really messy to me (looking forward to a bootleg so I can give it another listen.)

Final comment - I thought Bono was "speaking" a lot of the vocals which was a little bit of a surprise and disappointing. 

For me it was a really good start to the tour but there is a fair bit of room to tighten-up (Bono missed some vocal cues/lines, Red Hill) I think.

Bono "speaking" was Bono rapping some parts of the song. I thought it was cool, but I'm someone who likes it when a band changes the song in some way when playing it live to keep it fresh.

7 hours ago, tvham said:

also interestated in merch pics, anyone?

Edited by tjmode

25 minutes ago, Idvikin said:

Bono "speaking" was Bono rapping some parts of the song. I thought it was cool, but I'm someone who likes it when a band changes the song in some way when playing it live to keep it fresh.

"Speaking" or "rapping" .... neither is singing.

i don't mind bands switching it up a wee bit either, but when we're talking about one of the great rock and roll vocalists of all time, I want to hear him singing.

and they're touring behind a 30 year old album so keeping it fresh ain't the point of this tour. ?

Different strokes for different folks (truly glad enjoyed it - it barely detracted from the overall show for me, but I did notice it more than once.)

already lookong forward to Toronto...

Last night's performance was very much A Sort Of A Homecoming as I remembered watching The Joshua Tour in 1987 at BC Place.

13 year old me in '87 was floored by the sounds and spirit of 4 lads from Ireland. Just a year before I had discovered "Wide Awake in America", drawn to U2 from an obsession for The Beatles that my father instilled in me, as well as the searing passion of the live version of "Bad" found on WAIA. (When I say "floored" I'm being literal...I had chaotic floor seating, battered by the punishing reverberation caused by BC Place's old roof)

13 year old me in '87 was massively impressed by a young Bono Vox (clearly losing his voice yet giving it his all) who ensnared us all with his pony tail and Stetson and charisma, drawing each and every one of us +50,000 Vancouverites onto the massive stage they trepidatiously explored.

13 year old me in '87 lost his voice that night. I distinctly recall losing my sh*t when the opening chimes of "Bad" began. I've read that "Where The Streets Have No Name" is about going to heaven. How apropos...that's exactly what happened on that cold and wet November day in 1987.

43 year old me in 2017 at BC Place. The Joshua Tree Tour again. And I went to Heaven again.

Except this time round it wasn't a voice-breaking euphoric high Heaven. It was a reverent, transcendent Heaven, where every song I knew and loved came to life with new visuals and meaning. Like reconnecting with long lost friends who have clearly aged but wear their wrinkles and silver streaks proudly and beautifully. It was a visit to Heaven where St. Peter welcomed me to the Pearly Gates, stopping me at the entrance with hallowed stories of old (Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Year's Day, A Sort Of A Homecoming...which I admit losing my sh*t to, MLK and Pride) as I stood and cheered and sang while somewhat confused yet anxious to get in. Then "Streets" started with the familiar crimson (just like 1987) and then the gates flew open. And it was the whole album. Through and through.

A few years ago Roger Waters rolled through town and played The Dark Side Of The Moon from start to finish. I loved it, but part of me wished Gilmour, Mason and Wright were onstage too. So for that reason, seeing Bono, The Edge, Adam and Larry, ALL silhouetted against the red screen of "Streets" was truly transcendental.

Unlike previous outings, this tour is truly for hardcore fans of U2's music rather than just their "hits". Between "Running To Stand Still" and "Trip Through Your Wires" a fellow 2 rows behind me kept yelling "Play 'Beautiful Day'!!!". Even my wife wondered why I was singing so loudly to "Red Hill Mining Town". I could sense a quarter of the audience thinking "WTF???" as they played the trippy visuals and predatory sounds of "Exit".

For me, it was fitting that poetry was projected onscreen beforehand, because the show was very contemplative once the The Joshua Tree was played in sequence. In my mind, the show is an observance of 4 young men and their discovery of a new world, from the perspective of those same men years later. It wasn't a cynical retrospective, by any means...rather, it was a done with appreciation and without shame. Through Anton Corbijn's visuals, the whole album came to life like a document of the feelings the band must have had when American opened up to them for the first time.

Highlights for me were the revamped "A Sort Of A Homecoming", the searing red intro for "Streets", Edge's timeless stinging guitar on "In God's Country", Las Madres and 'El Pueblo Vencera' during the hymnal "Mother's Of The Disappeared", and the reworking of "Ultraviolet" into a long overdue ode to Womankind. 

My only complaints have to do with the underwhelming live version of "Red Hill Mining Town" (for a song I was so highly anticipating hearing live for the first time, shelving Edge's guitar in favour of piano and brass really fell flat for me), as well as the choice of "Beautiful Day" to start off the encore set. Maybe it was the fellow 2 rows behind me, or maybe its just a song I've heard live too many times, but it felt out of place after leaving Heaven via "Mothers...".

As the lights came up and my wife and I queued to leave I couldn't help but imagine seeing my 13 year old self wandering around the general admission floor, half-deaf and drunk on the lingering sounds of "40" from that cold and wet November day in 1987. And my 43 year old self thought of the wide-eyed wonder and innocence that he thankfully outgrew, as the lingering sounds of "The Little Things That Give You Away" faded into that cold and dry May night in 2017.

Edited by jjwankenobi
Grammar, yo.

Cannot understand why they dont finish concerts on a high like most groups, they did it on 360 with mos which was a low point be much better letting the crowd leave on a high by playing something like bad the new song should be played earlier.Also think  ms  doesnt work great maybe it will get tinkered further along

31 minutes ago, phill pohl said:

Cannot understand why they dont finish concerts on a high like most groups, they did it on 360 with mos which was a low point be much better letting the crowd leave on a high by playing something like bad the new song should be played earlier.Also think  ms  doesnt work great maybe it will get tinkered further along

I'm not sure I'm sold on a new song as a closer either. Felt kinda anti-climatic to me. Might fit better early in the encore set. Though, for me MOS was much different because it was a track from the album they were touring behind. (Ie. at least was a song most of the audience could have been expected to know.)

early days, and it'll be interesting to see if there are any changes to the beginning and end of the show. (That chant Bono tried to get people into "people ... power..." was pretty awkward and didn't take off at all.)

The pre-JT album set would be really easy to change, but i hope they don't. How they setlist the 2-nighters could be fun.

Edited by enriquediaz

20 hours ago, JMLU2 said:

Okay, since other people haven't been afraid to respond to this, I have to throw my 2 cents out there even though this thread is supposed to be about the Vancouver show. This is something I have very strong feelings about.

The American PEOPLE chose Hillary. It was actually the electoral college that chose Trump. Which is pretty messed up, IMO.

One of the reasons I like this band so much is that they're not afraid to express their views (or Bono does, anyway) and make people think about things that are going on in the world that we might not otherwise be aware of.

Edited by allyson2008

On 5/13/2017 at 3:53 PM, JMLU2 said:

I'm very well aware of that  instead of voicing HIS views .... try uniting us instead of dividing us.  

Ok, what would can he say that would unite people? Just curious.... Clearly anything anyone says is never agreed with by everyone. Please let me know. I'm really interested. Genuinely.

Love and Peace. 

I enjoyed the concert but it was uninspiring. I am not sure I saw the band crack a smile all night. Larry and Edge were grim as can be. Bono's voice was good but not great, seemed to lack a little power and evidenced by him not doing the opera voice in Miss Sarajevo.

First the highlights; Sunday Bloody Sunday/New Years Day was a great one, two punch to start the show. A Sort of Homecoming - unexpected and very well done. Trip Through Your Wires - One of the few songs that I thought added energy to the night. Miss Sarajevo - the video was very well done. The Little Things Give You Away - always nice to hear a new song.

The lowlights; The sound - even twenty rows back on the floor it was a bit boom-y and echo-y as hell. Pacing - way too many down tempo songs and the string of One Tree Hill, Exit and Mothers sucked every bit of energy from the show and was the wrong time for the band to leave the stage. Lena Dunham as a woman worth honoring (what the f were they thinking, she's admitted to molesting her sister). The Bono lead "Power of the people...." sing-a-long just flopped. More pacing - Streets was way too early, the video for Miss Sarejevo was so serious it needed to be followed up by something upbeat and known. The lack of passion by the band by the end of the show - to me it looked like they left saying "well that didn't go as expected". beautiful Day - I appreciate they re-worked the song but it didn't work for me but kudos for trying. Pacing aging - ending the show with an unknown song.

I think there will be lots of tinkering with the show. I am sure Vertigo will be added. A few more up tempo songs are required as well. re-think the women you display and honor; Rosa Parks, the Suffragettes, Lena Dunham - one of these does not belong.

i am interested in following the setlists and see how they evolve as evolve they must.

13 hours ago, tjmode said:

also interestated in merch pics, anyone?

Expensive. $50 CDN for t-shirts ($40 US?), $90 CDN hoodie ($75 US).