derekmcallister2

BONO VOICE & PROMPTERS?

Folks the first two shows look incredible. I cant wait to see them here in Dublin. 

I am surprised and shocked at Bono's performances, missing lines, voice sounds well below par and he seems to be constantly reading his lyrics from his front of stage prompters. I fully understand he cant be on fire every night but he seems lethargic even confused. Do we need to be concerned or is it a case of...not in his stride just yet".

I think it's a case of the man now being closer to age 60, than he was to 50.   It happens.    He's doing his best, and that's fine by me.

It's one thing to forget your lines, or need a teleprompter.  I get that.  What I don't get is the lack of passion.  It's like they are covering their own songs at times.  They have talked about the relevancy of the songs to the world today.  i agree.  Don't however let the video screen do the talking for you.  The lyrics do that, I don't care if you miss the high notes.  

Oh and the rest don't get a pass in my eyes/ears either.  I'm hoping one or all of them can find that spark of magic again.  

I suspect its the sea of cell phone screens he has been forced to sing past the last three shows.

All three shows so far, pictures of nothing but people standing around like zombies, cell phones raised up recording the show instead of moving to the music.

I agree to an extent.  One thing Bono has always been proud of has been his ability to break down the barriers between the band and the audience.   I'd like to see him at least try. 

3 minutes ago, kinsale11 said:

I agree to an extent.  One thing Bono has always been proud of has been his ability to break down the barriers between the band and the audience.   I'd like to see him at least try. 

I think he is trying.  But there's considerably more people doing it this time around than with 360.

Just look at the live threads from the first three shows.  Numerous people proud of the fact they're Periscoping the concert, completely oblivious to their affect on Bono, the show and everyone else around them.

Not too long ago, even at bad shows, Streets got the crowd pumped.  Now all I see are cell phone screens.

Bono has been using teleprompters for the last few tours. Not just for song lyrics but also for inbetween song banter. 

The band rehearse to a fault playing entire concerts to empty stadiums in preparation for tours. The shows are great, no doubt about that, but are now closer to being scripted plays rather than rock concerts.

I'm glad to say that I saw them on the original JT tour when it was just get up and play. By contrast whenever I've seen them since it's more about hitting their mark and doing the rehearsed  routine.

Agreed my first show was Cork in 87.  I have seen them a few times in Boston since then and you are right about the scripted part.  I'm not sure it helps Bono to be honest. He never stuck to "script" in the early days, e.g. Bad at Live Aid and it always served them better imo.  

We went to the show in Seattle and I commented to my husband that i thought there might be something wrong with him.The prompters did not show him very often on the big screen, but when they did he didn't look himself. At one glimpse he was holding his head like he had a migraine, another glimpse he looked confused and holding his ear piece like there was an equipment problem. Not sure what the problem was, but he was definitely off his game. The thing is, in the past, if he wasn't feeling well, he has always shared that with the audience.

52 minutes ago, peggy said:

The prompters did not show him very often on the big screen...

A prompter (or "teleprompter") is actually a monitor that Bono can use, that displays the song lyrics, or his speeches, that he can refer to, in case he happens to get lost mid-show.   It's not a camera.

Edited by rlj1010

Maybe it was just start of tour jitters? I could see his B stage prompter from where I was last night and it didn't seem like he was referencing it. I only heard one "missed a line" moment and it was very short and he was fiddling with his earpiece so maybe it was a sound hitch. He sounded great last night. The Edge was on fire though. His harmonies sounded better then the album (maybe he's a better singer 30 years on?) And he set that guitar on fire.

I will say there were some technical / sound things that were off in the show overall, that the band kind of shrugged off, but I attributed that to there being sound glitches at every single show I've been to at Cowboys Stadium. 

On 5/27/2017 at 11:38 AM, kyleblonde said:

Maybe it was just start of tour jitters? I could see his B stage prompter from where I was last night and it didn't seem like he was referencing it. I only heard one "missed a line" moment and it was very short and he was fiddling with his earpiece so maybe it was a sound hitch. He sounded great last night. The Edge was on fire though. His harmonies sounded better then the album (maybe he's a better singer 30 years on?) And he set that guitar on fire.

We were in the RZ for Houston and had a straight line view at the B stage prompter.  It didn't appear to be moving when he was singing, just when he was thanking people, making statements, etc.  My wife and I got the impression it was nothing more than an outline of things he wanted to say.