fnordware    0

Wow, what an incredible show! They came roaring out of the gate with Larry's pounding drums, and kept ratcheting up the intensity through the first 9 songs. It's the next morning and I'm still coming down.

Obviously great to hear Joshua Tree played front to back, but then it does give you appreciation for the difference in flow between an album and a concert. But of course it was majestic, and would have been even without the incredible visuals we were treated to on that big, beautiful screen. From up near the B stage the sound was also fantastic, the best I've ever heard in a stadium.

Yeah, maybe the encore could be tweaked a bit. But whatever—this may be the best U2 show I've ever been to.

I took someone's suggestion of getting a spot to the right of the B stage, and I think they were spot on. You get to see the band up close during the non-JT segments, and get a great center view of the screen the rest of the time, which you wouldn't have all the way up in front. I think the only spot that may have been better would be right in front of the B stage.

One downside: Levi's Stadium is a terrible venue. The GA line was well-organized, but very slow. (The GA line was 700 people long by 2:15pm). The rules about when you could be there and the restrictions on what you can bring in are extremely onerous. Getting in and out is likewise terrible. I don't think I'll be heading back there any time soon, but of course I'm happy to suffer for U2.

fnordware    0
4 minutes ago, aquinteru said:

Comments on with or without you at Santa Clara? Was it Adam starting late or Bono letting people sing. It was not clear from afar. Those of you (GA) nearby, what did you see/hear?

I think Bono didn't come in at the right time, but maybe Adam tripped him up a little? Or maybe he forgot the words? The audience seemed to know when to start.

CorkVegan    9

I believe that Adam's in-ear was malfunctioning and as a result he was off the beat for the first part of the song.

Edited by CorkVegan

BigBunny    1
3 hours ago, StinkyJay said:

Once again, people up front with their cell phones up all show.  SMH ...

I hate that.

mich40    71
46 minutes ago, fnordware said:

I think Bono didn't come in at the right time, but maybe Adam tripped him up a little? Or maybe he forgot the words? The audience seemed to know when to start.

tingly    0

Adam was a bar or 2 off.  Bono figured it out when he started singing.  Bono told Adam to stop, then gave him the wrong cue for when to start.  Repeat, repeat, repeat.  Larry eventually gave Adam the properly-timed cue with a big point at Adam, but Bono had it figured that time as well.

When they started at 9pm sharp, I knew it was going to end with Little Things instead of I Will Follow.

the full setlist with extra snippets  http://www.u2gigs.com/show1990.html

There was a little couplet about the bay area that Bono made up in Beautiful Day.  Edge stares at his wife dancing with a lasso during one song, no getting his attention off the screen for that one.

Cell phones around me were only out in big numbers for the first and last songs.  It wouldn't be so bad if they were held around eye level. If you can see, so can your phone.

Edited by tingly

aquinteru    0
1 hour ago, tingly said:

Adam was a bar or 2 off.  Bono figured it out when he started singing.  Bono told Adam to stop, then gave him the wrong cue for when to start.  Repeat, repeat, repeat.  Larry eventually gave Adam the properly-timed cue with a big point at Adam, but Bono had it figured that time as well.

When they started at 9pm sharp, I knew it was going to end with Little Things instead of I Will Follow.

There was a little couplet about the bay area that Bono made up in Beautiful Day.  Edge stares at his wife dancing with a lasso during one song, no getting his attention off the screen for that one.

Cell phones around me were only out in big numbers for the first and last songs.  It wouldn't be so bad if they were held around eye level. If you can see, so can your phone.

Thanks! Probably the first time I see such an event with WOWU. The rest of the JT songs sounded like they were very well rehearsed.

Edited by aquinteru

Rich T.    0
1 hour ago, tingly said:

I agree with everything you posted.  It looked like Adam wasn't getting a feed in the in-ear monitor. 

They ended at 11:00 PM sharp because of the (extended) curfew.  So I also knew that there would be no bonus "I Will Follow".

Cell phones were held up so high that my best view was under the phones and between the arms.

Had a primo view, 3 people deep on right side of B stage.  I highly recommend that spot.

tingly    0

I should have said that Bono gestured for Adam to stop.  A big jet silently took off directly over the stadium during Beautiful Day's chorus in a coincidental flashback to the video.  That happened with almost every song, though.

I was off the corner of the b-stage where Larry's drums are, maybe 10 people deep parallel with the main stage.  I reckoned that was to get him out of the way of the red zone's view.  My b-stage view was primarily of Larry's back, but it was fine since I could still see the other 3.  People 10 feet behind me may have been a little better placed.

Edited by tingly

Yep - it was a cluster for a few seconds but they are human....that was a big thing but there were lots of little things that weren't quite right as well.  Still - a good show.  We were to the left of B stage - 2 or 3 rows back...the cell phone thing was super annoying for sure...as were the flags.  What really bummed me out was that there were some people in the crowd near us that were absolutely rude, inconsiderate and disrespectful.  That has not ever been my experience in a U2 GA crowd - ever and there have been quite a few.  I need to get up to the rail a couple more times and then I might hang up my GA jacket.  :-)

I also agree with Levi's Stadium being the worse venue ever.  I won't ever go there again....I'll get tickets to another show - it's more fun to travel to see them anyway!

GA line was a blast though.  Met some great people but lost them when we went in.  I don't know if they are part of this fan club but Darin, Michael, Leann & Larae(sp)???  hope you had a great show!!!  We'll have to do it again!! 

allyson2008    6
19 hours ago, BigBunny said:

I hate that.

I hate it, too. It is possible to record video and take pictures without blocking everyone's view. Hold the camera at eye-level. Please stop blocking the view of other people.

It was a Beautiful Day for me and my daughter in Santa Clara.

I also went to Seattle. Both - RZ in Seattle and lower seats in Santa Clara were great experience.. Thinking abt taking flight to some other city with U2 concert ))

18425199_10211308564404312_2959287478460460481_n.jpg

Edited by anna_boykova

BigBunny    1
20 hours ago, allyson2008 said:

I hate it, too. It is possible to record video and take pictures without blocking everyone's view. Hold the camera at eye-level. Please stop blocking the view of other people.

exactly. if you don't ruin someone else's experience.