Sign in to follow this  
Max Tsukino

Los Angeles May 20 #U2TheJoshuaTree2017 Live Thread

U2 THE JOSHUA TREE TOUR 2017
May 20, 2017    Los Angeles, CA    Rose Bowl

1. Sunday Bloody Sunday
  2. New Year's Day 
  3. A Sort of Homecoming / America (snippet)
  4. Pride (In the Name of Love)
  5. Where the Streets Have No Name / California (There Is No End To Love) (snippet)
  6. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
  7. With or Without You
  8. Bullet the Blue Sky
  9. Running to Stand Still
  10. Red Hill Mining Town
  11. In God's Country
  12. Trip Through Your Wires
  13. One Tree Hill
  14. Exit
  15. Mothers of the Disappeared
  16. Beautiful Day / City Of Stars (snippet)
  17. Elevation
  18. Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
  19. One
  20. Miss Sarajevo
  21. Bad / America (snippet)
  22. I Will Follow

Sources: mixlr.com/sil-rigote--2/ | mixlr.com/u2start | Several Periscope streams | http://www.u2gigs.com/

Nice job - curated is so much better than twitter box ticking on songs & phrases, parroting bono, and attempts at notoriety (her vanity) mainly via crowdsourcing. Honestly bored with the bulk of twitter coverage. But that's just me.

10 hours ago, Jerknife said:

I hope this doesn't spell the end for "Little Things". The last thing we need is the lads to lose confidence again in new songs.

Agreed, I loved hearing Little Things at Levi's Stadium. Honestly, it was a bit of a bummer to close on but I'd love to keep it in the same spot in the set, maybe just close the show with 40 after :) 

I want to thank the Rose Bowl staff for yesterday. They handled the GA line so much better than in 2009. It was very orderly and they obviously very well prepared for yesterday. Hope all goes well for those of you who are going tonight. If you think about it, thank them. 

11 minutes ago, dublinlover said:

I want to thank the Rose Bowl staff for yesterday. They handled the GA line so much better than in 2009. It was very orderly and they obviously very well prepared for yesterday. Hope all goes well for those of you who are going tonight. If you think about it, thank them. 

I'm guessing you were lined up early, but I'm planning on getting in line at around 5, when the doors open.  Did it take very long for them to get the line in at that point, and would I still be good to get a decent spot on the floor.  I was aiming for something a little back from the B-Stage, and near center.

The show was amazing! I'd also like to echo thanks to the Rose Bowl security for an orderly GA line. I got there at 10:20 AM and ended up three rows back from Larry on the b-stage/joshua tree. It was the perfect spot. I got to see the band up close and the beginning and end of the show, but was far enough back to fully take in the giant screen for the performance of the album. The whole show was incredible. Hope everyone going to night 2 has a blast!

Just now, SoCalU2Lover said:

I'm guessing you were lined up early, but I'm planning on getting in line at around 5, when the doors open.  Did it take very long for them to get the line in at that point, and would I still be good to get a decent spot on the floor.  I was aiming for something a little back from the B-Stage, and near center.

Not sure how helpful this is but Wednesday night in Santa Clara we got inside the venue around 6:15pm and were pretty much right near where you want to be - a little back from the B stage, pretty much in the center

Just now, tvham said:

Not sure how helpful this is but Wednesday night in Santa Clara we got inside the venue around 6:15pm and were pretty much right near where you want to be - a little back from the B stage, pretty much in the center

Were you happy with your spot?  Good sound quality being more centered?  Does it get cramped once the crowd fills in or is there still room to dance?

For everything about the First Los Angeles show (May 20) - thoughts, reviews, photos, videos, analysis, etc - please continue on this thread...

For everything concerning the second Los Angeles show (May 21) - please continue on its own thread ---> Los Angeles May 21 #U2TheJoshuaTree2017 Live Thread

thanks...

1 hour ago, bigwave said:

Should we keep this thread for night 2 or have a separate one?

Should have a separate one...  So sad they dropped " Little Things " for night one....Hope it will come back in its' spot.... that great song is the best moment of the show !!!

1 minute ago, SoCalU2Lover said:

Were you happy with your spot?  Good sound quality being more centered?  Does it get cramped once the crowd fills in or is there still room to dance?

I thought the sound was great and I really liked our spot - close enough to the B stage to see facial expressions but also nice and centered for the main stage portion with great views of the screens. Here's a pic of approx how close we were to the B stage (Adam was behind Bono and to the right a bit so seeing him was a bit tougher)

IMG_3394.jpg

6 minutes ago, SoCalU2Lover said:

Oh, and it did get a bit crowded once U2 came out but never claustrophobic. Our plan was to watch the mini set and beginning of TJT then moving back to take it all in but we ended up staying where we were the whole time. Here's a pic in the daylight during Mumford so you can see approx how far we were from main stage 

IMG_3388.jpg

The only thing I would add, and not to sound like an asshole, but please put down the cell phones. Take a quick photo, take a quick snippet of video, but there is no need to record the entire song. It's so freaking amazing and so sad to see so many people concerned with their Facebook and instagram posts and missing the show right in front of them. WOWY totally sucked for me because I had two guys right in front of me holding up their cell phones to record the whole song. I asked them politely when it was over if they could refrain from recording the whole song because I couldn't see. Okay, done with the rant, just be respectful of the others around you. No one is going to get the Anton Corbijn shot. 

9 minutes ago, tvham said:

Oh, and it did get a bit crowded once U2 came out but never claustrophobic. Our plan was to watch the mini set and beginning of TJT then moving back to take it all in but we ended up staying where we were the whole time. Here's a pic in the daylight during Mumford so you can see approx how far we were from main stage 

Thank you for all the info and pics.  Looks like any closer you would get a good view of the main set, but be too close to easily view the GIANT screens, and be looking at their backs during the B-Stage songs.

On 5/21/2017 at 11:23 AM, dublinlover said:

Couldn't agree more. I've done the GA line-up thing many times for many different bands, and I don't think I've ever seen it handled better, especially for a show (and line) of this magnitude. I was there early both days, and was very impressed with how supportive, friendly, and communicative all of the security folks were. From telling us where to go to get wristbands/numbers in the line to encouraging us to keep drinking water in order to fight the heat to randomly coming over to small groups in the line to make sure everyone understood the GA process and knew what was going on, it really felt like they were there to support us rather than police us. Heck, one woman (probably my favorite of the bunch) was even warning us to "watch for ants falling out of the trees in the parking lot". Ha! Sunday night as we were lead down the ramp onto the field, there was a group of security high-fiving us as we went by, and they seemed legitimately excited for us. That made it all really special, and I certainly appreciate how well it was handled. 

Also, I'm not sure how it was for anyone else, but parking in the GA lot was a breeze! I arrived early enough in the morning that getting in wasn't a problem, but while I expected a nightmare getting out like in '09, both nights I was able to pull out of the lot with no wait at all - it was like I had found a secret exit! The traffic on the road outside was minimal, and both nights it was only a few minutes until I was on the freeway and headed home. It was a great way to cap off two tremendous nights of awesomeness!

On 5/19/2017 at 10:15 PM, ballardmama said:

#U2TheJoshuaTree2017 On the road from Seattle to Rose Bowl night 1.

IMG_3591.JPG

AWESOME GUYS!! What town is this?

On 5/21/2017 at 11:37 AM, SoCalU2Lover said:

Hi guys. We got there GA at around 4:30. The line was moving smooth. Got a great center view even s there were thousands of people BUT U2 fans are always cordial, friendly and never in bad mood so everyone let everyone move around GA people. I recommend GA (I did for First RoseBowl show on Sat) The price was even better than those around the stadium. At first I wanted to stand next to the Red Zone but my mat said "Lets jus stay here, close to the Joshua Tree Mini stage" I said "OK, no prob." Glad I did. About 10 people in front of me. Not too bad considering we just got there a bit before 5:00pm. Rode the bus shuttle (Perefect!!) in and out no prob. Got the freeway back to Palm Springs in  no time (FWY 10) bye!

18623426_10154933415098884_8234069972523228857_o.jpg

On 21/5/2017 at 5:06 PM, Max Tsukino said:

Indeed was a great, amazing night!!