Sign in to follow this  
kitemaster

Current Setlist Sucks and Needs To Be Changed Up Big Time

I'm sorry but the current setlist does not work well so far on this tour. The band needs to tweek it by geting rid of Sunday Bloody Sunday as the opening song and get rid of Pride. These songs have been overplayed on every tour and quite frankly the diehard fans would rather hear some other material. The fans would prefer to have Sort of Homecoming back in the set as well as other songs never performed live before. How about starting the show with God Part II, Hawkmoon 269 and then Heartland ? as the band has never toured the Rattle and Hum album in America, Bad then All I Want Is You into Streets and then play the Joshua Tree album. For the encore Miss Sarajevo just kills the mood and needs to be dropped. How about playing Kite, When I look at the World and maybe some JT B-sides instead ? Why play the same boring setlist every night ? 21 songs just doesn't cut it anymore. Don't just go through the motions on this tour U2 like previous tours. Make this tour a tour to remember,,,need to play at least 23 songs. What about this setlist:

God Part II

Hawkmoon 269

Heartland

Bad

All I Want Is You

Streets and rest of JT album

Encore

A Sort of Homecoming

Indian Summer Sky

When I Look At The World

Kite

Spanish Eyes (Walk to the Water or Luminous Times or Sweetest Thing or other JT B-sides)

Boy Falls From The Sky instead of Little Things (save Little Things for the next tour)

Love Is Blindness...

Edited by kitemaster

U2 has never been a band known to change setlist during a tour. They prefer to play the exact same songs night after night, which given their loyal fan base who follow them around from city to city is surprising. I would suggest the reason for this "static" setlist is do to the massive production they put on. I must say "The Ennie Minnie Moe" part in Exit is become annoying to listen to. WTF U2 that's a kid song. They have a week off after the Dallas show maybe they will rehearse new material ? I heard Ordinary Love might get put into the setlist. Not my favorite song but better than Miss Sarajevo.

Edited by beautifuleyes

I must say I was expecting a more Joshua Tree Tour themed concert than what has been presented so far. I agree the above setlist would work better with those Rattle and Hum songs. Would give it a more desert theme. Pride and Sunday Bloody Sunday sound tired and overplayed. Miss Sarejevo just ruins it for me.

Edited by u2propaganda

Yes please drop SBS, Pride and Miss Sarejevo. Replace them with other songs. Agree about Miss Sarejevo. That song worked well on the Vertigo tour but not on this tour. But if Bono thinks/wishes he is an Opera singer what can we do ? This band will never be a Springsteen and play for 3 hours or a Pearl Jam and play completely different songs each night. They seem to need a lot of practice and time to rehearse new material and since Bono is out trying to save the World all the time this ain't gonna happen. Why do you think the new album is taking so long ?.

Edited by pop1

Love that setlist Kitemaster. There is two chances they will play it though. Buckleys and Fuck all. This tour is just a cash grab anyways.

Edited by sanfran

I second you on hearing "Kite". In fact, I had a sign asking for it last tour. I got pulled up on stage instead, but I still wanna hear "Kite"! ?

On the last tour the main body of the set was static but the start and encores were flexible and no two nights back to back were the same. There is no reason why this tour couldn't be the same.

I have a sense that the band aren't really as serious about this tour as they have no new album to promote. Just the same twenty-ish songs for the remainder of the summer I fear.

Now don't get me wrong, obviously they are putting on a great show as can be seen on YouTube. However it just seems like they're not going at it full tilt.

"How many songs is that Edge? Twenty-one? That'll do."

Well hard to imagine they would change the set list because it is a complete show again with the visuals, no improvisation or risks - all that stuff is for young and hungry men I guess. Bruce Springsteen is on his own level have seen his 3½ hour show yeah he has earned his nickname. When I have looked at some clips of this tour of U2 I cannot get inspired to travel abroad for a show the original TJT concert is enough for me and a cherished memory in a different time, a different place

Yes. They've dropped Homecoming (for now), which is really disappointing, as it was refreshing to hear that again live. Hope it returns. My view would be that as we know the main body is what it is, and is the essence of the tour (I hasten to add, a tour that I certainly wasn't expecting in 2017, so fair play to the band for going into stadiums this year) - but I do also wish they would mix the rest up.

The point has been well made already, some limitations will be there due to the 'show' element of a U2 concert, I imagine that can stifle 'improv' to a degree. I also agree SBS is a poor opener, I was surprised , and still am surprised at that. With Pride, looking from the outside in, I always get a sense of tiredness with that song in recent years, however when I'm at a live show in the audience - it still works. Can't say the same with SBS, even though there was relevance I guess when I last heard it live in Belfast and that risque pre concert thought of ' wonder what way they'll spin this one.'

Look, I don't want to knock the band - as stated, I feel privileged that I will get to see them again this year, and since 2005 I always been thinking this'll be the last time - but they do have so much more in their locker that they could surely recall back to the live stage as they have done with 'Homecoming.'

What about a bit of 'Sweetest Thing' again. A memorable b-side from 87 and arguably the better stripped down version (in my opinion) than the later (Bono apology) version that came out a few years back?

It's not uncommon for a U2 set to change over the duration of a tour. However, this tour as far as we know for now, is considerably shorter than previous tours - so will they have the time to shake it up?

I'm really pleased with the quality and delivery of the JT tunes all the same.

Wish list....

- A bit of 'Please', followed by a dash of  'Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own', with lashings of ' Electric Co.' or 'Dirty Day' rounded off with a lovely smooth 'Trying to Throw Your Arms Around World' or indeed '40'. 

I understand not wanting to change up the songs on the main stage, due to the preparation of the visuals.  

(A particular shame, because Miss Sarajevo seems to be unanimously loathed this tour, and the Ultraviolet visuals seem to be a mismatch.)

But I don't see why they can't be much more flexible with the B-stage songs.  Slightly changing the order of the same songs, doesn't really qualify.

I'm going to be a voice of partial dissent here. Yes, I really wish they would have swapped out Pride or Sunday for A Sort of Homecoming, but they're still both great live. They are touchstones at this point.  I really wish Heartland had been in the mix too. But, we can't always get what we want.

Here's where I disagree with the majority it sounds like, I wasn't initially thrilled with Miss S on the list, but seeing it live it was a highlight of the show. The visuals were extremely moving. It's a beautiful song and Bono let Pavarotti have the opera which (just for me personally maybe, I don't know how many Pavarotti fans intersect with U2 fans) was a moving memory of their collaboration with the greatest tenor. I really loved it live when taken as a whole. My son who was sitting with my mom in seats during the show said at the end it was his favorite song of the show (it was relatable for him as a child seeing the kids in the video and hearing the girl talk about her dreams). That surprised me because along with Exit, I'm sure it's the song he had the least pre-exposure to. In looking through IG this morning and at the local show review, we're not alone in finding it a powerful moment and moving without being maudlin or schmaltzy.

And, to be more contrary, I also like Ultraviolet as a ZOOtv touchstone and found the visual style took you into memories of that show. And as a woman who was verbally assaulted twice (by the same mysoginist) at the show, any message that is pro-female is both needed and welcome.

I know we all have our wishlist of songs, but on the whole I loved the show. 

agree with hawkmoon but think it would be a great opener also would love to hear kite as for ultraviolet  it sound excellent live

My feelings about the setlist is that I generally can't complain about what they're doing within the tour (in other words, I don't think it's fair for me to complain if a show they did in California had the same set as a show in Houston; the overwhelming majority of the audience at the California show isn't going to Houston and vice-versa), but that I want to see some differences from each tour.

Since it appears A Sort Of Homecoming has been taken from us before its time, here are the songs from the JT album played on JT17 that weren't part of IE15:
-Running To Stand Still
-Red Hill Mining Town
-In God's Country
-Trip Through Your Wires
-One Tree Hill
-Exit
-Mothers Of The Disappeared

So right off the bat, there are seven songs they're playing each night that they didn't play during the last tour.

I agree that the show opening, as it seems on paper, without A Sort Of Homecoming, gives us too much of what we got the last time around.  But I suppose the counterargument to that is that it's a different arrangement of Sunday Bloody Sunday compared to I&E.  New Year's Day hasn't been played regularly since the 2010 leg of the 360 tour (it made three seemingly random appearances in 2015 on I&E), so I think it's fine that it's back.

For the encore portion, although they've been played live before, Miss Sarajevo and Ultra Violet (Light My Way) were not played on the I&E tour.  Fans haven't had a chance to hear those songs live for at least six years (depending on whether you caught 360 in '09, '10, or '11).  That's exactly what I think U2 should be doing - don't send good and popular songs to a permanent grave, but give them a tour off.  It's great to have a chance to hear a new song (The Little Things That Give You Away), although I wonder if it being played live now means it won't make the album - all of the songs that U2 played in 2010 that were supposed to be part of the next album ended up being dropped from it, and I can imagine a repeat scenario. 

I don't think the setlist is that bad, actually.  And all of my comments are with the caveat that I haven't seen the tour yet, and sometimes these things play very differently when you're in the room than they do on paper, so maybe it's all brilliant when you're there.  But I'd say the "problems" here are the following songs:
-Sunday Bloody Sunday
-Pride (In The Name Of Love)
-Bad
-Beautiful Day
-Elevation
-One
-I Will Follow

Those are all songs that were played at most (and some at all) shows on the I&E tour in 2015.  Going back further, most or all of those songs were played each night from the 360 tour in 2009-2011.  And same story for the Vertigo tour in 2005-2006 and the Elevation tour in 2001.  It's not that all of those songs need to go away forever.  But, for instance, U2 played Bullet The Blue Sky every night (or almost every night) on Joshua Tree, Lovetown, ZooTV, PopMart, Elevation and Vertigo.  It was nice to give it a break during 360.  And then I was a lot happier hearing it during I&E.  I think all of those songs could use a similar break.  I think they tried to give One that kind of break on the last tour and kinda chickened out (it wasn't part of their opening night set but ended up closing most of the shows).  Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride and Bad made sense as a pre-JT warmup.  But if there was ever a tour where they had the thematic excuse to give Beautiful Day and Elevation a rest, this was it.

The tour that I have the fondest memories of, in terms of a varying setlist, was the Vertigo tour.  True, the middle of the set was pretty set in stone, but there was so much variety within the show itself.  Depending on when and where you saw the show, you might have seen City Of Blinding Lights, Love And Peace Or Else, or Vertigo as your opener.  You might have seen 40, Bad, Vertigo, With Or Without You or Fast Cars as your closer.  In the beginning of the show, you'd get a couple older songs chosen from a pool that included The Electric Co., The Ocean, Gloria, An Cat Dubh and Into The Heart.  The first encore was wildly different depending on when you saw the show, including such varied selections as Zoo Station, The Fly, Mysterious Ways, Until The End Of The World, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (both the electric and the acoustic versions), The First Time (being played live for the first time ever), Discotheque and more.  The second encore was primarily new songs, as the band had an album they really believed in and wanted to play for the audience.  The Vertigo tour, hands down, was the best I've ever seen U2.  They played their new material with a passion and a fire that I haven't seen them attack new material with since, and their variety of older material was constantly changing and often unpredictable.

I wasn't expecting the same for a tour where 11 songs being played are known in advance, and where there's no new material.  But I am disappointed that the band isn't taking more opportunities to either play songs from that same time period that don't get played a lot (like A Sort Of Homecoming or the Joshua Tree b-sides like Spanish Eyes), and are also playing a lot of songs that were played on most or every nights of the previous few tours.

Awful set list. Please drop Elevation and Beautiful Day. SBS is a terrible opener. Let's get more Rattle & Hum and JT b sides in there. 

On 27/05/2017 at 5:41 AM, kitemaster said:

I'm sorry but the current setlist does not work well so far on this tour. The band needs to tweek it by geting rid of Sunday Bloody Sunday as the opening song and get rid of Pride. These songs have been overplayed on every tour and quite frankly the diehard fans would rather hear some other material. The fans would prefer to have Sort of Homecoming back in the set as well as other songs never performed live before. How about starting the show with God Part II, Hawkmoon 269 and then Heartland ? as the band has never toured the Rattle and Hum album in America, Bad then All I Want Is You into Streets and then play the Joshua Tree album. For the encore Miss Sarajevo just kills the mood and needs to be dropped. How about playing Kite, When I look at the World and maybe some JT B-sides instead ? Why play the same boring setlist every night ? 21 songs just doesn't cut it anymore. Don't just go through the motions on this tour U2 like previous tours. Make this tour a tour to remember,,,need to play at least 23 songs. What about this setlist:

God Part II

Hawkmoon 269

Heartland

Bad

All I Want Is You

Streets and rest of JT album

Encore

A Sort of Homecoming

Indian Summer Sky

When I Look At The World

Kite

Spanish Eyes (Walk to the Water or Luminous Times or Sweetest Thing or other JT B-sides)

Boy Falls From The Sky instead of Little Things (save Little Things for the next tour)

Love Is Blindness...

Yep.....I like this setllist.......I'd also have " The Unforgettable Fire "  thrown in.......Also.....not so sure about " When I look at the world ", would have THE FLY or Until the end of the world instead.....(not necessarily in that order)....

Here's mine:

1st Part of the show

Hawkmooon 269  (with long guitar intro)

God Part II (crazy solo version, also Larry goes wild)

When Love Comes to Town (it tells You that LOVE has just come to town)

Bad

A sort of Homecoming (first of all because it's f*** great and then because its sparkling ending blends in perfectly with Eno's synth at the beginning of Streets, also they're the openers of U2's 4th and 5th albums so ....)

Streets & TJT in sequence

Encore

THE FLY (You Know WHY)

Until the End of The World

The Unforgettable Fire (which can be inter-changed with B-sides like Walk to the Water, Deep in the Heart, A Room at the HEartBreak Hotel, Dancing Barefoot, Luminous Times and the likes)

Promenade  (which can be swapped with any *POP* song, I know I'm in the minority here)

Would love to hear Bono say ; "  Thought we'd play this one...because, well....Why not ? Isn't that right The Edge ?"

Boy Falls From the Sky (I really love this one and thank you so much for bringing it into discussion!!!!)  on some nights and Little Things on other nights (cause I looove it) .

Edited by pain_18_

Apart from The Joshua Tree songs the rest of the setlist doesn't inspire me either.

I get the point the central focus is ....The Joshua Tree.

There are songs on this tour I imagine will not be played again but then again there are songs being played I would rather not hear again  live for a number of years!

My preference would be to only have songs in the setlist up to Rattle and Hum.

I think  for a retrospective tour the lads should play a different set list .. agree with most others on this thread that songs like heartland and hawkmoon 269 should be revisited along with classic live staples such as tick tick and the cry/ electric co.

I would love to see em play kite at twickers as this was an absolute corker at the coming home gig at Shane..

This setlist seems very carefully curated on a thematic level. I am not sure how much they'd be willing to play with the emotional story that it is telling. So, while I don't really need to hear SBS or Pride again, I do see the point they are making in that setlist order. Would be happy to replace one or both with a different song, though. I like having NYD back in the set.

I will strongly go to bat for the inclusion of Beautiful Day and Elevation. I find that part of the encore set to be extremely powerful. Those two songs provide a level of catharsis after the Joshua Tree songs. Those are two fantastic, uplifting, optimistic songs. I find them more powerful here than in Elevation tour, Vertigo, 360 or I&E. The visual presentation of Beautiful Day is stunning and feels like a ray of hope blasting through the stadium.

On that note, Bad makes a lot of sense in the encore set, providing an intense feeling of release. I do not see why they have played it *before* the JT songs a couple times.

Miss Sarajevo has a beautiful visual presentation, but it is a mood killer in the encore set.

To fit what U2 is going for with the set, you can't just list songs you want to hear. You want pre-JT songs in the opening set that are about war, conflict, exile and social upheaval. (Which is why Sort of Homecoming works really well there and should be brought back!) Don't know if they'd consider doing a post-JT song in that set, but they do have several along this theme they could choose from.

The post-JT set should be about release, hope, optimism, and togetherness. A lot of songs would qualify here. I could see a lot more variety in this section.

Its more or less exactly as I expected, shame they dropped ASOH so quickly.

The visuals destroy UV for me...I really don't like it when they do the political/activist visuals over songs. I find it off putting...similar to what they did with Walk On on the 360. I just want to enjoy the music for what it is.

Miss Sarajevo in my honest opinion is a waste of setlist space especially now were down to 21 songs

I thought Sweetest Thing might have got a slot given that its arguably both a JT era song and one of their more recent hits given that it was released again as a single in the 90's. Also thought AIWIY, Desire & Angel of Harlem would have been in rotation.

13 hours ago, richie459 said:

Its more or less exactly as I expected, shame they dropped ASOH so quickly.

The visuals destroy UV for me...I really don't like it when they do the political/activist visuals over songs. I find it off putting...similar to what they did with Walk On on the 360. I just want to enjoy the music for what it is.

Miss Sarajevo in my honest opinion is a waste of setlist space especially now were down to 21 songs

I thought Sweetest Thing might have got a slot given that its arguably both a JT era song and one of their more recent hits given that it was released again as a single in the 90's. Also thought AIWIY, Desire & Angel of Harlem would have been in rotation.

Seems like it's more a political show.......I'm trying my hardest to ignore that aspect and enjoy the music and the more abstract side of things...........

Would be great if they showed Women - Artists and Women that were/are lead singers of bands or solo....On the screen for Ultraviolet....or just regular women who have achieved something in life.......

Edited by pain_18_
I had another idea !//Grammar problems//

Going to the Boston show and i know will enjoy it a lot. Have to agree with the comments here though.  They have never been very spontaneous at least not in the last 2 decades but they should have more songs in their arsenal than this.  I don't buy the whole visuals excuse.  There are plenty of times in the show that the screens are just showing different shots of the band.  They do not need new visuals to add a song to the setlist.  

I know Bono is no spring chicken anymore but a little more energy would go a long way, it all feels very controlled.  

I noticed that "Little Things" wasn't played in Dallas despite being on the set list. That would've been a great disappointment had I been there. That song has really grabbed me for some reason.  I have to agree with a lot of the sentiments expressed in this thread. Being a die hard since 1981, and loving The Unforgettable Fire album, ditching ASOH is a major bummer. I could easily pass on Elevation , although I know that for a live show it tends to pump the crowd up. Many of the songs included seem to there so Bono can comment on a political topic. I get that, but sometimes just letting it rip and playing your butts off works best. The inclusion of Bad after the first show has helped me get past some of my dissatisfaction with the set list overall, and I know that I will love every minute of the two shows I'm going to, but I hope this week off before the Chicago shows helps them refocus the set list.

Yeah I thought the more basic stage set up would have allowed for more setlist flexibility - it actually seems more static than the IE Tour.

Looking forward to the show in Dublin - Had Noel Gallagher not have been supporting I probably wouldn't have been too bothered but its still going to be a good night of music and I'm sure I will be well into it when I'm there. Looking forward to a few songs I've never heard before live - RTST, IGC, RHMT, OTH & TTYW in particular.

Just a few missed opportunities though - I think SBS as an opener is pretty uninspiring (I'm sick of it live full stop). UV as much as I love it was played regularly on the 360 so would have been nice to see a track from AB/Zooropa not played in recent times in that slot.

Miss Sarajevo just seems a wasted opportunity in the setlist - nice song but there must be a hundred songs they haven't played for years that would have gone down better than that one.