Sign in to follow this  
Manohlive

New Soldier Field Overhang Info As of Thursday, June 1

•  

THIS IS THE LATEST I COULD FIND OUT AND SAY ABOUT THE OVERHANG AND RELOCATES:  I spoke with someone at Soldier Field about several things earlier. (Around 48 hours before showtime)  Saturday's show is completely sold out.  Relocate tickets will be less available, he said.  He went on to say that the sight/sound is not that bad under the overhang.  He also spoke of how remarkable U2's sound people are in making the sound good way back in that overhang.  He was not happy with my response.  I told him that is not true; the sound sucks.  The view is obstructed and they are contractually bound to relocate people unless the ticket clearly states obstructed view.  He told me that would be a matter for TM.  I told him they were still going to have to deal with it the night of the show.  He was informed yet still seemed trained to give out generic answers. (I'm not a jerk. This is not Soldier Field's fault but this dude did not know that of which he spoke concerning the overhang or was giving out the answers he was told to give.)

With the show being completely sold out...I suggest getting there especially early and finding your seat.  The doors into the venue open at 5 pm.  If your seat is way under the overhang, ask an usher where to go for a relocate.  If they say no relocates, I would calmly point out that your view is obstructed, you are a U2.com member and bought the seats in the presale. I would politely ask if they could make an exception.  If that does not work then ask to see a supervisor. 

Over by section 104-107, when in the main corridor where the vendors are and everyone walks around...there is a stairwell leading up to a room. (Not the stairs leading to the next level.)  This room is between levels. There is usually a guard at the foot of the stairs wearing a vest or something different from the ushers.  That is where the head relocate people were during the 360 tour and other shows. The guy in charge of it all is named Mike Docalis.  I am not sure how to spell his last name.  I would not ask for him unless absolutely necessary.  They will have to page him.  (Please don't say I said this as I'm worried I'll irritate them by posting this.)   He looks miffed at times but is very busy so don't be intimidated.  He also has several other people working under him.  They were great.  The 360 tour was supposedly sold out as well yet I saw stacks of tickets for relocates.  This tour, on Sat, it looks like it is sold out completely which will put relocates at a premium.  Keep asking.  If you get nowhere and your seat sucks...go ask again once the Lumineers start playing.  Don't give up and ask another and another until you get what you need.  If that does not work...I'd go look for an empty seat and plop my behind down in it.  If an usher asks you to move say your seat is obstructed and you cannot hear or see well and the ticket does not say obstructed view/sound. Then I would say that I don't know how to get a relocate.  You may well get one by doing that or you may get told to move but it's worth a shot.  Don't despair and don't get angry unless U2 is about to begin or has begun and your seats truly suck.  Keep trying.  If necessary...go to the opposite end of the stadium and ask someone there as it's worth a shot.

You could also go up to that guard by the stairwell and say you need a relocate.  If that is where they are based for this show...she may well let you go up and do your thing...or she may be able to tell you how to get your seat relocated.  If too many do it and there is a line waiting to speak with her...eavesdrop on someone else and do what she tells them to do versus standing and waiting to speak to her.  After a while they get overwhelmed and stop talking because they cannot do their job with so many approaching and asking.

I know most of this is common sense but I've seen people really freak out and lose it because of their seats way under the overhang.  They lose common sense and pretty much lose it while losing any chance at a relocate.

I was also told that Soldier Field has never had CC only entry for a show like they do for U2.  It was highly suggested to me to get there especially early because the lines may go slowly.  That being said, I've never seen a will call window move as efficiently as I have at Soldier Field.  I've stood and watched them and they fly despite all the people who do not have their ID and confirmation number and credit card ready.  Then they dig through their pockets or bag or purse and laugh it off while those behind them wait.  Somehow the staff keep that line moving.  Perhaps the lines to get into the venue will be equally as efficient.  We are allowing even more extra time to spare just in case.  The doors to SF open at 5 pm.

As you walk around searching for a relocate or better empty seat, you can still see the show.  The view of Chicago's skyline from the stadium is breathtaking.  I still marvel at it every time I go to a show or football game.

For those who need it, the number to Soldier Field is:  (312) 235-7000.  The prompt to speak with someone is 6.  If you get the recording saying nobody can come to the phone right now...hang up and call right back until you get someone.  I have the best luck by waiting for all the prompts to end and then hitting 6 rather than hitting it as soon as the prompt listings begin.  That may be superstition as I go see the Packers play the Bears in SF.  I'm very superstitious with football and especially the Packers as I lived a few blocks from Lambeau when I was a child.  It is impertinent but I had to mention it.  Pardon my indulgence.

Their season has just begun. (Soldier Field not the Green Bay Packers.  :))  The phones only opened recently, so I would expect their phone lines will be very busy tomorrow as it's also the day before the show.  If you must call, you may have to keep calling back quite a while before you get someone.

I put most of the above in the main Soldier Field Overhang thread which I started the first day of the first presale, however; I don't know how to bump it or if most people would even see the new information. I started a new thread because it's almost showtime.  I did not want to say where that stairwell is or mention the head relocate man's name until now.  You should not have to ask for him by name.  If you look for people with vests or people with walkie talkies...they will most likely know the scoop with relocates for the show.  If necessary, they will page him.  

I'm sorry I did not start the initial thread about the overhang before the presale began.  It did not even dawn on me until the presale was happening, and then I was trying to get tix and it took quite a while to get my GAs. 

I hope this information helps.

Good luck to everyone affected by this.  They know those seats suck and deal with it every single concert.  Most people will not ask for a relocate so get there early, find your seat and if it stinks...go for it.

Good luck.  Please let me know how it turns out for you guys.  It will help me to know for the next concert and I'll be able to help them as well.   Thank You.

Edited by Manohlive

I forgot the most important thing to me:  The accessibility/wheelchair seats are most affected by the overhang. IF you are in accessibility...call the phone number above...hit the prompt to speak with someone and ask to speak with the box office. Do this tomorrow as early as possible. They will ask you why and you will need to tell them it is about accessibility for the show.  That is the only way I've ever been able to get them to connect me through with the box office.  This is because there is no real box office for Soldier Field.  They should connect you with someone working in ticketing.  You can try explaining that those seats under the overhang are the worst.  They may well be able to help you and take your name, etc.  It may not work but it is the best shot you have at getting a relocate before the masses get to their seats and start asking.  If you use this and are not inaccessibility...you will get nothing and may well lose any chance at a relocate the day of the show. 

There are a limited number of seats for accessibility on the ADA platform in the GA section.  They are first come, first serve and very limited as many are already reserved.   If all else fails...you migh ask for seats on that platform.  I'm not sure if they will give them to you as they are for the GA section.  However, you paid much more for your accessibility seats.  I think there is a very good chance they will help you get good seats to replace the ones under that awful overhang.

I know much of this is common sense but I've seen so many get angry or freak out or lose hope or whatever, where they otherwise might well have gotten amazing seats instead of sitting in the overhang.

Edited by Manohlive

Thanks for the great information!  I think one factor Saturday will be the weather: with the predicted thunderstorms there may be a number of people who want to be relocated to overhang seats. I'll confess that I'm thinking about it! We are in 214. My only other SF experience was GA at 360 so I'm not familiar with the venue.

We are in section 106 row 14  towards 107 so hoping we will be just under overhang and be good for sound and out of any rain..

12 hours ago, nlhouden said:

Thanks for the great information!  I think one factor Saturday will be the weather: with the predicted thunderstorms there may be a number of people who want to be relocated to overhang seats. I'll confess that I'm thinking about it! We are in 214. My only other SF experience was GA at 360 so I'm not familiar with the venue.

It's looking like the rain will not affect the show.  I keep checking different sites and tv stations.  It's going to rain until about 5 pm but it will not be a steady rain.  That is what they are saying.  One band of showers ending at five pm.  Another blowing through about midnight.  I already wrote this but check out the view of Chicago's skyline from the stadium.  It is magnificent; especially if you have never been in Soldier Field.  It's work walking around to get the best view.  You see the whole skyline while also seeing the stages and all the people.  It's very cool.

2 hours ago, Lamms said:

We are in section 106 row 14  towards 107 so hoping we will be just under overhang and be good for sound and out of any rain..

There are twenty rows to each section.  The overhang begins around row 9 or 10.  I'm guesstimating that.  I cannot find out where it begins.  I've tried many times.  Does anyone else know what row the overhang begins?  We were in row 18 and it was horrible.  I'm sorry to say this.  Row 14 could or could not be bad. 

2 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

Thanks for the great information!

There is no need to thank me but you are very welcome.  It is my pleasure to help.  Thank you for indicating this thread helped.

I am devastated that I paid over $300 for an obstructed view ticket,  but even more devastated that the band knows this is a problem every time and has done nothing  to rectify it.  

After the purchase when I discovered how horrible the seat is I bought a GA.  I'm wondering if I can get on the field after checking into my seat or if I should go to the GA first and then to my seat If GA has tall guys obstructing the view from the field...

Lucked out..we can see whole stage unobstructed but people behind us not so lucky

39 minutes ago, Lamms said:

Lucked out..we can see whole stage unobstructed but people behind us not so lucky

Any chance you can post a picture of your view and maybe go back a couple rows and take a picture of THAT view too?

Might be helpful to those with tickets to the 2nd show.

thanks!

Sorry I tried..but pic file too big.  Basicly I'm in sect 106 row 14 and seats 1 and 2..closet to 107.  We can see whole stage and screen with just upper right blocked at very top but no video there just lights.  If you are behind us and towards 105 your view will get more obstruction of video board but you can still see stage fine.

Did anyone try asking for a relocate and get them?   I kept watching and watching and could not tell.  I was gonna go over there, when I was at the Sat Chicago show and ask if any Zootopians were present, but my head was pounding and people told me to stay put.  I hope some got relocates because those seat should not be sold; especially to long time fans.  Hopefully next time they play Soldier Field people will remember and I'll remember not to forget to post about it before the presale.

The over hang begins at rows 9-10 and becomes problematic, from what I could see, around row 14.

Edited by Manohlive

20 hours ago, Lamms said:

Sorry I tried..but pic file too big.  Basicly I'm in sect 106 row 14 and seats 1 and 2..closet to 107.  We can see whole stage and screen with just upper right blocked at very top but no video there just lights.  If you are behind us and towards 105 your view will get more obstruction of video board but you can still see stage fine.

I'm glad you posted this.  That is obstructed view.  It MUST say on the ticket that your view is obstructed or you be compensated.  That is the law.  All those who had to deal with not being able to see EVERYTHING may want to call TM and ask for a refund.  If they say no ask for a supervisor.  I argue everything and TM relents but I am relentless in doing so.  If you could not see everything then you have a right to a refund.  It is the law.  I have friends who work in ticketing and one manages a major box office here in Milwaukee.  He told me the same thing.

Over $300 to not see the whole stage?  No way.  Demand a refund if you were not given a relocate.  If they say it was on the venue tell them the venue said it was on TM. Someone at the venue told me it was on TM a few days ago. 

I am curious if anyone did get relocated.  This would help me as I go to Soldier Field a lot.  This happens for every show but I normally see people getting relocated.  I want to help others and the more info I have the better I can do so for further shows.   Please....thanks.

Edited by Manohlive