theEDGEofTN

Rain

I'm going to the Tampa show next week.  i've been watching the weather for the Tampa area and I see it's supposed to rain the night of the concert.  A 50% chance.  What happens if it does rain?  Do they do a rain check or refund of tickets or do they play in the rain?

They play in the rain. Bring a mac or an umbrella.:) They would stall for lightning, buckle up!

Well, US Stadiums don't allow umbrellas, but I will add this. Last week, rain and thunderstorms were predicted for the Chicago shows and the forecast went from better to worse to maybe ok. The night of the first show, it barely sprinkled for about 2 minutes. My advice is to keep checking the weather and always carry a poncho and a ziplock bag for your phone. 

They will play in the rain... And it will rain, but by the time U2 hits the stage... It probably won't be raining... The weather pattern is always afternoon showers. For those of us in GA... Bring the rain ponchos for sure. Oh and clear bags everyone

P. S...if for some reason we get a lightening storm... It will cancel... You will get a refund, but lose Ticketmaster fee.

On 6/10/2017 at 11:11 PM, LoraU21984 said:

P. S...if for some reason we get a lightening storm... It will cancel... You will get a refund, but lose Ticketmaster fee.

Maybe, maybe not. It will depend on what the radar shows and what the band wants to do. If it looks like the lightening will blow over fairly quickly, they might have the option of just waiting it out (it depends on local ordinances and their willingness to pay overtime).

I went through that a few years ago with Bruce Springsteen's "Birthday Show" at MetLife in 2012. The radar showed that the lightening would be gone before 10pm. Everyone was moved inside - the GA & Pit were lined up in as close to the original order as they could manage in one part of the stadium and everyone with seats was under cover on the various plazas and stairs until the storm was over. Bruce hit the stage sometime after 10 and played until almost 2am. It was easier and cheaper to pay the stadium staff overtime than it would have been to try to reschedule, there were no applicable noise ordinances in that part of NJ and Bruce was taking a month off before starting the European leg of that tour.

Rain held out for Miami and it was a beautiful day and evening, though very humid, especially being in GA. Getting nervous for Tampa based on current forecast, but if the show will go on, so will we and guess will just break out the ponchos.

On 6/10/2017 at 11:11 PM, LoraU21984 said:

Venues and bands all have different policies, and it depends on how quickly the storm is predicted to pass.

I saw R.E.M. once at Jones Beach in NY, an outdoor venue, and t-storms hit hard during the opening act (Modest Mouse).  Lightning hit the top of the upper level.  They suspended the show until the storm passed.  MM didn't come back to finish their set, but R.E.M. went on and played their full set, starting with Have You Ever Seen The Rain, followed by So. Central Rain :)