Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
vertigojds

Why are venue rules for GA lines not being enforced?

Recommended Posts

Well some people on Twitter have already started a line at fedex. Have to convince the venue to not honor it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can someone please explain how this works for those with GA? Do you wait in line and get a wristband or something and then get to leave and come back? Or are you in line at 8am and have to sit there until doors open? I want to be close, but I don't necessarily care about being along the rail. Totally fine being 8-10 people back from a good area of the stage. Just wondering what time to get in there. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It varies. Usually people are expected to wait in line from the time they arrive on show day, occasionally venues will wristband people & send them away until around 2-4pm. Check with your venue. If you're happy to be 8-10 people deep you won't have to arrive too early. I'd assume not long before gates open? Though that's just a guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to the New Jersey shows, and I just got an email from them with show information.  All of the information is also posted on the venue's official website:

http://www.metlifestadium.com/alert-detail-page/lists/info-news-alerts/heading-here-for-u2-the-joshua-tree-tour-2017-on-june-28-or-29-what-you-need-to-know

The site very clearly says the following:
" NO OVERNIGHT CAMPING IS PERMITTED ON SPORTS COMPLEX PROPERTY. LINING UP OUTSIDE STADIUM PARKING LOTS WILL NOT BE PERMITTED BEFORE 10:00 AM. "

More than any other policy at any other venue this tour, this is 100% explicitly clear that fans may not line up ahead of time, or start unofficial lines, or stop by the stadium to say they were first because they drove by two days early, etc.  This is 100% clear that that sort of behavior is not permitted.  This was sent out to every person who purchased a ticket to the show.  There are approximately 20,000 GA floor tickets between both nights.  So that's 20,000 fans that have been given crystal clear directions on when they can and can't show up.

What do you want to bet someone tries to start a list anyway?  In the face of such clear guidance, so widely shared with all ticket holders, I think it would be enormously disrespectful of the "list" fans to start a list and an early queue here.  20,000 people have been given specific instructions about what to do.  A select handful of people shouldn't get a special reward for going against those instructions.  I sincerely hope the stadium refuses to honor any kind of fan-run list that's done against the express instructions of the venue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LINING UP OUTSIDE STADIUM PARKING LOTS WILL NOT BE PERMITTED BEFORE 10:00 AM. "

Who will stop people from doing this?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has gotten so out of hand over the years.  I really wish that U2 would step in to do something about it, ala the Springsteen method.  Even at FEDEX, when the venue said absolutely no lineup before 8, the unofficial line started offsite at Planet Fitness and FEDEX caved and "honored" the line.  Yes, if you search for it, you can probably find the unofficial line info 48 hours in advance but most of us have a life and can't get to the venue every 12 hours to check in.  Yes, it's fabulous to have a front rail position, I've had it 2 times and will never forget that experience, but it would be nice to give everyone a fair shot.

Even the Red Zone has gotten ridiculous.  I did this for two previous tours, got to the venue mid afternoon and would get a great rail spot. At FedEx, the line started at 8.  

 

I didn't do GA or RZ this tour but hope to do so for next arena tour.  Please U2 -fix this problem- I'm willing to take my chances with some kind of lottery.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, peggytwoten said:

Yes, if you search for it, you can probably find the unofficial line info 48 hours in advance but most of us have a life and can't get to the venue every 12 hours to check in.

I think it's also potentially a problem because how many people are "checking in" a day or two before and getting credit as if they had waited there for a day or two, but wouldn't actually be willing to do it?  There probably are a very tiny handful of people who would be willing to stay at the venue all day and night and actually sleep there, and I'd be less opposed to rewarding people if they put all of that time and effort in.  There's something that's kinda stinky to me about just having to show up for a moment and write your name down on some unofficial piece of paper, and then you're magically ahead of everyone else.  Meanwhile, I would be willing to bet that a lot of those people who come by for five minutes to "sign up" or "check in" wouldn't actually be willing to wait at the venue as long as their check-in time suggests.  That makes it seem doubly wrong to me that they get to be so far ahead of people who show up at the allowed time and physically stay there all day long.  If I get there at the allowed time and sit down and wait all day, I have a hard time accepting someone who showed up two days earlier for five minutes and left has done something to earn a spot ahead of me.  If they actually waited on the property the night before in an actual line, that'd be a different story.

 

5 hours ago, Martinmc said:

LINING UP OUTSIDE STADIUM PARKING LOTS WILL NOT BE PERMITTED BEFORE 10:00 AM. "

Who will stop people from doing this?

Have you been to MetLife Stadium before?  It's located on the Meadowlands which is private property in a non-residential / industrial area.  It's not a stadium located in a city or community area where people can hang around neighboring buildings and businesses waiting.  They could very easily send the police to remove people for trespassing.

This is why I think it's especially important for there to be one set of rules for MetLife that are clearly known to all ticket holders in advance - and I think that's what the official rules sent out by MetLife need to be seen as.  Since there's no way to line up on the property or outside of it, the only way to have an unofficial GA line would be to do it at another location.  That seems ridiculously problematic - people who are lining up somewhere not at MetLife Stadium, clearly breaking the posted instructions, should get a spot ahead of people who show up at time and at the right place?  There cannot be a second, super secret line at a different location that somehow gets priority.

I'm going to these shows and I'm OK with being behind someone who's waited all day.  I'm not OK with being behind someone who's decided to make the adjacent hotel or some other landmark that's not the stadium a check-in point and expects that to be honored.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, vertigojds said:

I think it's also potentially a problem because how many people are "checking in" a day or two before and getting credit as if they had waited there for a day or two, but wouldn't actually be willing to do it?  There probably are a very tiny handful of people who would be willing to stay at the venue all day and night and actually sleep there, and I'd be less opposed to rewarding people if they put all of that time and effort in.  There's something that's kinda stinky to me about just having to show up for a moment and write your name down on some unofficial piece of paper, and then you're magically ahead of everyone else.  Meanwhile, I would be willing to bet that a lot of those people who come by for five minutes to "sign up" or "check in" wouldn't actually be willing to wait at the venue as long as their check-in time suggests.  That makes it seem doubly wrong to me that they get to be so far ahead of people who show up at the allowed time and physically stay there all day long.  If I get there at the allowed time and sit down and wait all day, I have a hard time accepting someone who showed up two days earlier for five minutes and left has done something to earn a spot ahead of me.  If they actually waited on the property the night before in an actual line, that'd be a different story.

I couldn't agree more.  Offsite lines that only require periodic check-ins are a joke.  That's not "putting in your time", and I would be surprised if there were 100 fans at any given show who were willing to sleep outside for 2 days.   If that's how these lines were operating, I would have less of an issue with it.  Again, some kind of lottery is the only real solution to this mess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, afg said:

I couldn't agree more.  Offsite lines that only require periodic check-ins are a joke.  That's not "putting in your time", and I would be surprised if there were 100 fans at any given show who were willing to sleep outside for 2 days.   If that's how these lines were operating, I would have less of an issue with it. 

Agreed.

It really just skews things for everyone else.  Even the check-ins the day of, I'm not in love with.  I hate to sound like a broken record, but I'm totally cool with the common courtesy types of allowances.  By all means, step out of the line to use the bathroom, to grab something from your car, to pick up some food, to have a smoke or cup of coffee.  Just let your neighbors know, and be back in a reasonable amount of time.  But for a lot of these "list" lines, people don't even stay during the day.

When I saw U2 at MSG in 2015, I was there usually towards the end of the morning, and often there was no one else waiting around.  The list was allowing people to go about their normal day, to go to work, to catch a movie, whatever.  Meanwhile, I had nothing to do, I waited.  I'm not complaining at all about the time I spent there.  But I bet a lot of people in front of me wouldn't actually have waited if they had to physically be there for eight or twelve hours.  And I'm getting a little frustrated with losing spots in line to people who don't do the waiting but get the credit as if they had. 

Ultimately, if the band and the venues said "Lists are how we want to do this" then I'd go along with it - at least all ticket holders would be aware of the rules and would be following the same instructions.  Right now, there's a system where the venue sends out one sets of rules, and a small group of fans comes up with their own system, and then pressures the venue into following it.  Then, the other 99% of the people who bought tickets and followed those instructions are made to wait behind those that pressured the venue into accepting their secret rule changes.  I would prefer a Springsteen-type lottery if I had my choice (and I say that as someone who got a great spot last week from waiting all day, where a lottery might have actually been worse for me... I'd still accept it), but I am fine with any system as long as it is one system that everyone follows equally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's getting further out of control with the lineup situation.

There are Twitter reports that the lineup for the show at Gillette Stadium on Sunday has begun today.  Although Gillette is not allowing fans to line up on the property, someone has taken to starting a list at a Dunkin Donuts in town. 

This is the most egregious case of the "two sets of rules" that I've heard about on this tour.  The venue clearly said that you may not be there and it's too early to line up.  So instead, people are lining up at a private business that has no relation to the stadium.  If you're not Twitter friends with people who know about this, then you just don't know.

So now, if you want a good spot at a U2 show, it's not enough to simply follow the instructions that the venue and Ticketmaster send out - now you must somehow magically know that you have to go to Dunkin Donuts, where you can sign a piece of paper that gives you the right to go home for two days and then cut in front of anyone else.

How is this still going on?

I implore anyone with a connection to the band, whether it's moderators here, the LiveNation people that run the site, management, anyone, to please look into this situation.  It is ridiculous that official channels are sending out clear instructions for the 10,000 general admission ticket holders to follow, and that maybe a couple hundred of those people are able to invent another set of rules that gives an advantage to them at the expense of fairness for the other 9,800 ticket holders, and that this is happening again and again.  It was one thing when it was people showing up at the venue before the allotted time, but can't we all agree that starting a secret line at a place that's not the venue just isn't kosher?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just hoping they have something in place to stop this at Twickenham stadium in London, because, frankly, it's a bit ridiculous that people are blatantly disobeying the rules set out by the band, promoter and venues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, vertigojds said:

It's getting further out of control with the lineup situation.

There are Twitter reports that the lineup for the show at Gillette Stadium on Sunday has begun today.  Although Gillette is not allowing fans to line up on the property, someone has taken to starting a list at a Dunkin Donuts in town. 

This is the most egregious case of the "two sets of rules" that I've heard about on this tour.  The venue clearly said that you may not be there and it's too early to line up.  So instead, people are lining up at a private business that has no relation to the stadium.  If you're not Twitter friends with people who know about this, then you just don't know.

So now, if you want a good spot at a U2 show, it's not enough to simply follow the instructions that the venue and Ticketmaster send out - now you must somehow magically know that you have to go to Dunkin Donuts, where you can sign a piece of paper that gives you the right to go home for two days and then cut in front of anyone else.

How is this still going on?

I implore anyone with a connection to the band, whether it's moderators here, the LiveNation people that run the site, management, anyone, to please look into this situation.  It is ridiculous that official channels are sending out clear instructions for the 10,000 general admission ticket holders to follow, and that maybe a couple hundred of those people are able to invent another set of rules that gives an advantage to them at the expense of fairness for the other 9,800 ticket holders, and that this is happening again and again.  It was one thing when it was people showing up at the venue before the allotted time, but can't we all agree that starting a secret line at a place that's not the venue just isn't kosher?

Can you send me a link to the Twitter page or tell me how to get there? I'm going to the Boston show and planned on getting up there at 11AM the day of.... where is this Dunkin Donuts that you're talking about? Do I need to plan a trip up there today?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2017 at 11:13 PM, u2la22 said:

Well some people on Twitter have already started a line at fedex. Have to convince the venue to not honor it.

Did it work? What did you do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Hac said:

Can you send me a link to the Twitter page or tell me how to get there? I'm going to the Boston show and planned on getting up there at 11AM the day of.... where is this Dunkin Donuts that you're talking about? Do I need to plan a trip up there today?

The Twitter thing was linked on the U2gigs.com main page - I have no idea where this Dunkin Donuts is.  That's a big part of why I'm trying to bring attention to this issue.  You bought a ticket to the concert in good faith.  You're following all the instructions the venue has given you.  And if you just show up at the venue at the time you were supposed to, you'll be told that people are in line ahead of you because they went to a secret Dunkin Donuts somewhere that you couldn't possibly have known about, and therefore you're in the back of the line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, vertigojds said:

The Twitter thing was linked on the U2gigs.com main page - I have no idea where this Dunkin Donuts is.  That's a big part of why I'm trying to bring attention to this issue.  You bought a ticket to the concert in good faith.  You're following all the instructions the venue has given you.  And if you just show up at the venue at the time you were supposed to, you'll be told that people are in line ahead of you because they went to a secret Dunkin Donuts somewhere that you couldn't possibly have known about, and therefore you're in the back of the line.

Fortunately I am roommates with a Revolutions employee, and for what its worth, he said that all unofficial lists and wristbands will not be honored by the stadium unless they are somehow affiliated directly with the band. If its just a bunch of fans, they will find their made up credentials denied at the door

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hac said:

Fortunately I am roommates with a Revolutions employee, and for what its worth, he said that all unofficial lists and wristbands will not be honored by the stadium unless they are somehow affiliated directly with the band. If its just a bunch of fans, they will find their made up credentials denied at the door

I'm going to the show, I have GA, and that's my hope as well.  I'm not necessarily opposed to any particular method of GA on principle.  What I am opposed to is having two sets of rules.  If all fans who buy tickets are given one set of instructions from the official sources (the venue itself, Ticketmaster, the band's website) -- about 10,000 GA ticket holders per show -- and then 200 people make up their own set of rules, I think it's obvious which ones have to be followed -- the ones that everyone was given.  There cannot and should not be a second secret system only for those "in the know". 

The concern is always, the venue may say ahead of time that they won't honor any fan run lists, and then whatever security person is on duty the morning of the show sees that there's an organized group of people, and decides that rather than dealing with organizing people themselves that they'll just piggyback on the work the fans have done, not realizing that the fan list isn't fairly run.  The people running the list may also exaggerate or lie and say they are associated with the band, or that the band has permitted them to do this before, or that they do it at every show, etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, vertigojds said:

I'm going to the show, I have GA, and that's my hope as well.  I'm not necessarily opposed to any particular method of GA on principle.  What I am opposed to is having two sets of rules.  If all fans who buy tickets are given one set of instructions from the official sources (the venue itself, Ticketmaster, the band's website) -- about 10,000 GA ticket holders per show -- and then 200 people make up their own set of rules, I think it's obvious which ones have to be followed -- the ones that everyone was given.  There cannot and should not be a second secret system only for those "in the know". 

The concern is always, the venue may say ahead of time that they won't honor any fan run lists, and then whatever security person is on duty the morning of the show sees that there's an organized group of people, and decides that rather than dealing with organizing people themselves that they'll just piggyback on the work the fans have done, not realizing that the fan list isn't fairly run.  The people running the list may also exaggerate or lie and say they are associated with the band, or that the band has permitted them to do this before, or that they do it at every show, etc. 

Yeah I'm with you. Hopefully there will be a wristband system the morning of.... still no word on that

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was in GA for the second MetLife show. The venue did a great job. I got there around 11:30 in the morning and was given a numbered wristband, 151. From what I heard other people saying, somehow about 50 people got wristbands the night before when the first concert ended. Not sure how that happened. Don't know if that select group who starts their own line was around, but with the numbered wristbands I'm guessing they were stopped if they tried anything. But being the second night in a row might have also affected things. Anyway, we were told to line up at 1:30, then shortly past 2 everyone was lined up by the staff in number order. At 3 we went through the gates into a shaded area, again in numbered order. At 5 groups of 50 people were taken into the stadium, being lead by multiple staff holding a rope and leading us in so no one could run. I was at the front of the fourth group let in and got to the second row in between where Bono and Adam stand on the main stage. I think MetLife did a great job with their policies and organizing the GA, and I would definitely go there again if that's what they always do. And probably on the second night if there is one, again, I think that's why not that many people were there between 10-12. Even at 2 there was only about 300 people in line. Great job MetLife. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Springsteen method/solution is clearly the way to go.  Fair, and totally eliminates all the above problems.  C'mon, U2, do this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The unofficial fan lines are really starting to be a problem. I knew about the one at Rose Bowl 1 because I "know" the people on Twitter.

The problem is that if you don't know the right people, you will not know this is the policy. All the event information sent out by the venue and by the band give one set of clear instructions. So fans mostly follow those instructions. It is unfair to allow select people to make up their own set of line rules without publicizing it to ALL the GA ticketholders. It has to be an official venue policy or nothing. It has to be something known and available to EVERYONE.

Several people in line around me in Los Angeles asked about all those people at the front. I explained that line check in and these people were really upset that they didn't know about this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will be interesting to see how things pan out in Dublin next week.  'Queuing' in Ireland can be different to say the least and add that to Irish peoples aversion to being told what to do by by those in authority let alone apparently self appointed queue organisers, things might not go as smoothly as in other cities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be good if fan club subscribers were given priority access with GA tickets. It would weed out some of the queuing.issues. They could number tickets in some way.from presales or you go into a lottery if you get a preale GA which is numbered. Not sure if Springsteen works that way but it cant be that hard to sort. One GA line for fan club with priority access. Another for the rest. Means peeps dont have to queue all day too.and get another.perk for their loyalty to the band.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Cazza said:

perk for their loyalty to the band.

There's plenty of "loyal" fans who don't want to sign up to this Live Nation website, myself included (I've been a paid up member at different times). What is a good measure of a fan's loyalty? I'm more likely to post on other forums, @u2, u2start & Interference, where many fans have a better knowledge of U2 & may be considered to be more loyal (purchasing all sorts of released material, travelling long distances to shows, obsessively discussing the band). Is that a good measure of "loyalty"?

The band seems to want to reward those fans that are prepared to wait in line. Seems like the best measure of loyalty to me. Though it would be nice if people were actually "waiting" in their spot, not checking in every 12 hours.

Edited by ddarroch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/07/2017 at 2:41 PM, dermo said:

It will be interesting to see how things pan out in Dublin next week.  'Queuing' in Ireland can be different to say the least and add that to Irish peoples aversion to being told what to do by by those in authority let alone apparently self appointed queue organisers, things might not go as smoothly as in other cities.

I have GA in Dublin and really want to know the best possible advice .....HELP!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...