Sign in to follow this  
vertigojds

Why are venue rules for GA lines not being enforced?

On 7/20/2017 at 9:06 AM, ddarroch said:

There's plenty of "loyal" fans who don't want to sign up to this Live Nation website, myself included (I've been a paid up member at different times). What is a good measure of a fan's loyalty? I'm more likely to post on other forums, @u2, u2start & Interference, where many fans have a better knowledge of U2 & may be considered to be more loyal (purchasing all sorts of released material, travelling long distances to shows, obsessively discussing the band). Is that a good measure of "loyalty"?

The band seems to want to reward those fans that are prepared to wait in line. Seems like the best measure of loyalty to me. Though it would be nice if people were actually "waiting" in their spot, not checking in every 12 hours.

Just voicing a view on the suggestion of Springsteen lottery (not my suggestion) and how it could apply to those who fork out extra each year to try and secure tickets.It wasnt a decree of what determines fan loyalty. ☺

Have a good time at the show if you are going.

I'm not going :( I can't afford to travel from the other side of the world this time. I traveled for 360, & i+e, but not this time.

I'd like a staff run lottery, so everything's fair. But very early in the day, with people actually having to wait in line if they want to claim prized spots.

Hope you've enjoyed/will enjoy the shows :)

Apparently, someone, maybe more, have started 'lists' for the Detroit show.  And, no lists conform to Ford Field rules which were just posted.

Edited by sped

Ridiculous. Go to the venue early, and tell them you are getting in line per the venue's rules, and want your place in line respected ahead of the rest of these disrespectful fans.

Ford Field caved to the 'must-be-up-front-for-every-show' crowd:(  Disheartening!

Was it at U2's direction or did security just fold? Either answer is troubling.

Edited by sped

On 8/31/2017 at 10:18 AM, afg said:

Ridiculous. Go to the venue early, and tell them you are getting in line per the venue's rules, and want your place in line respected ahead of the rest of these disrespectful fans.

Exactly.  This early line list stuff can be very unfair to those who aren't "in the know".  Its also a problem when a venue like the Rose Bowl sends out "official" GA instructions to all GA ticket holders literally the night before the show, and that email conveniently leaves out the "secret" arrangement they made with a choice few list-running fans that you had to be on a "secret" list with a check-in at an offsite Starbucks 2 hours before the "official" line started.  That's just dishonest.  The only way the "system" will ever be fair to all GA ticket holders is when it is equally available to ever single GA ticket holder; i.e., the venue or promoter clearly and honestly communicates how it is going to work to everyone, and they stick to it.  The system IS broken, its biased, and its often unfair. 

I've certainly taken advantage of being on these lists.  But I'd love to see all this line list crap trashed.  Show up at the time appointed by the venue, and whoever gets in line first, that person is first, not "bumped" out by a group of dozens of people that knew about some "secret" list that started days before.  That's the way it used to work a long time ago for concerts. 

Agree. The venues should respect their own rules. Otherwise I can show up with my own list and so can any other so called #1 fan

I have said it before and I will say it again. These fan run lists (not queues) work to the benefit of the few not the many and are open to abuse.  These relatively small cliques, some of whom with a sense of entitlement, controlling entry is not right. Please U2, for future tours, put something in place yourselves that is transparent and fair to all fans.  

If  you haven't already done so have a read of Matt McGees piece :

https://www.atu2.com/news/its-time-for-u2-to-take-over-its-own-ga-line.html

Good article. I did GA for the San Diego show. I can sort of see why people will go to any length to be along the railing as if you aren't up against the railing you are more subject to all of the d-bags who show up late and just noodle and downright shove their way past you to get up to as close to the stage as possible. I am sure it was like that for every GA stadium show, but I was about 10 yards back from the stage and I have never been so crammed in for a GA crowd in my life. I am glad I did it once, but I will probably never do a SRO GA again. It was sooo packed. 

I was astonished at the amount of garbage/chairs/coolers/half eaten meals left behind by the people at the front of the GA line. Do people ever go back and get their stuff that they left behind after the show?

Edited by seanclv