Sign in to follow this  
Max Tsukino

Boston June 25 #U2TheJoshuaTree2017 Live Thread

I was in Philly last week and I was here tonight. I had a closer spot in Philly, and that was a good show, but this one tonight felt like something really special. More energy and emotion from the band, and a better vibe from the crowd. Little Things was phenomenal. I'm extremely happy. 

3 hours ago, druidschair said:

So honored to be there last night. So much love. Was that Edge's wife as the American cowgirl doing rodeo moves in the video?

Yes. 

Awesome show last night!  The Boston crowd was hyped up and sharing the love and nostalgia of the Joshua Tree songs.  It was my son's first U2 concert, and he was quite in awe with the whole experience!  My husband thought it was the best U2 concert he has seen so far. (This was our 4th show since '09).  Performing LIttle Things was an added bonus for us in the crowd!  Thank you U2!!!

I'll say some things later. Keep meaning to get back here, but not finding the time. I'll open with a pic of the Lumineers - found them pretty enjoyable, very glad to have seen them.

lumies 2.jpg

So, let's start in on the bad - the pre-show GA line controversy for the moment. The band wrote a song about it, you know the one with the line "just gimme what I want and no one gets hurt" (shouldn't say that as some will feel honored) - because that's what it comes down to, people proclaiming the given rules void and naming themselves proclaimers of new rules, in secret, and threatening violence or its approach if their rule isn't adhered to (before the bulk of the crowd shows up of course), and security and the venue both bow when it's clear the numbers are greater than they could prevent violence from. The reality is the venue & security should refuse to pay any attention to the false line, and the question remains open whether there's any recourse here for the bulk of the fans whose only notice is of the original venue announced rules: perhaps a suit for fraud against the perpetrators of the line? Tricky, but possible. Pre-emptive strike by the venue? distributing #s by purchased group of tickets a week prior to the show? Maybe. Just a few more comments in the many out there about this now, though it isn't the first go 'round for this controversy either, and without value in it for the venue or security, the argument turns but changes do not come. What fuels it mostly does seem to be the need for hierarchy among fans - the focus on numbers, objects, contacts, etc. as of central value. Not the art itself of course, not the songs themselves, just how I stand in the reflected light from the art, that belief in a position owed or again self-proclaimed - hate to say it, but the band is not your mirror, you look just the same ;) Then again, some just want position so they can make money. And all this exists in the ever present lip-smacking thunder of the ass kissing going on toward the band, toward moderators, toward site owners in the vie for position, or at least to hide the behind the scenes pettiness. Ah, why do I persist, resist, etc. in this circus? Not because I'm a woman. I'm not. For this tour, yes, purely for nostalgia, to sing along to songs with a couple people whose rooms I used to hang out in 30 years ago and we'd talk about the album and the tour (the original one) while it was still ongoing.

But another Lumineers picture to distract you from any controversy...

lumineers with early crowd.jpg