Sign in to follow this  
dizzysteps2u

Cameras

I have a Fuji FinePix S1, I wondering if a camera of this size is going to have any trouble getting through the metal detectors.  I was yelled at by security at a small local concert because he kept telling me it was a DSLR (which it is not), just has a long zoom.  I'm planning to be close, so no need for the long zoom.  What happens if they don't like the camera?  They make me leave..or what?  

No, I'm not a stand there and hold the thing up the whole show kind of person, but I like to take some good shots here and there.

Edited by dizzysteps2u

What show are you going to? Each one wull be different. For Dublin you are not allowed professional cameras or ones with detachable lenses.

On 7/19/2017 at 3:03 AM, dizzysteps2u said:

I'm planning to be close, so no need for the long zoom.

So why bring a bulky superzoom with a 50x zoom then? Concerts are a low light environment, which often results in noisy pictures (due to high ISO). In these conditions you need a camera with a large sensor & a fast (large aperture) lens. The S1 has neither. It has a small 1/2.3" sensor. About the size of a simple point & shoot & some phones. Advanced compacts have a 1" sensor, 7 times this size. Micro four thirds & APS sensors are even larger, & DSLR's are out of the park. The S1's lens's aperture ranges from f/2.8-f/5.6. Some advanced compacts have fast lenses with apertures of f/1.4. These let in 4 times the light of an f/2.8 aperture & 16 times the light of f/5.6!

So the S1 isn't a great choice for a concert camera. It bulky & won't have very good image quality in low light. It's only advantage is it's long zoom, which as you say, you won't need. You say you won't take too many pictures, but I bet a camera with that type of bulk would still annoy those around you in GA while you do.

As Cazza says, the camera policy varies depending on the venue. Quite often detachable lenses are allowed if they are under 75mm (seems to be about 100mm focal length).

If security says you can't bring it in you'll have to leave the line & stash it in your car or something, or check it. If you're in GA this will loose you valuable time, putting you further back in the crowd.

Edited by ddarroch