Sign in to follow this  
StephOnTour87

Croke Park : queuing, GA lines, and other stuffs

For those who are not already aware, no queuing is allowed at Croke Park, especially overnight (see pdf below)

http://mcd.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/U2-Safety-TIMES.pdf

I've been to Dublin several times for U2 concerts in Croke Park and 3Arena, but this time I wonder how the queues will be managed as pitch 1 and pitch 2 are clearly separated areas.

Where do we have to go to get a number on your wrist ? Will there be two separate sequences for Pitch 1 and Pitch 2 ? And at what time ?

I went to see Springsteen last year in Croker and it said no queuing before gates open but in the end there was a GA queue and the stadium opened a car park for it. Though I'm not sure how it will work with there being two separate areas on the pitch.

Edited by ethanclaffey

Yes, I was at Springsteen shows at Croke Park too, there was a call at 8AM to get your number in queue, and then you would have to come back at noon and remain in line for all the afternoon. I guess it will be the same thing saturday, but I wonder where will be the meeting call.

5 hours ago, StephOnTour87 said:

For those who are not already aware, no queuing is allowed at Croke Park, especially overnight (see pdf below)

http://mcd.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/U2-Safety-TIMES.pdf

I've been to Dublin several times for U2 concerts in Croke Park and 3Arena, but this time I wonder how the queues will be managed as pitch 1 and pitch 2 are clearly separated areas.

Where do we have to go to get a number on your wrist ? Will there be two separate sequences for Pitch 1 and Pitch 2 ? And at what time ?

I would LOVE to know these answers too ...we arrive on Friday night ......THANKS

48 minutes ago, StephOnTour87 said:

Yes, I was at Springsteen shows at Croke Park too, there was a call at 8AM to get your number in queue, and then you would have to come back at noon and remain in line for all the afternoon. I guess it will be the same thing saturday, but I wonder where will be the meeting call.

Where would we meet? How will it all work?  Where would the 8 a.m. meet up point be to collect ...a wristband perhaps? This is our first time in Dublin. Help much appreciated!

If things happen as previous concerts, there is no wristband collect, as you get them couple of hours before the gates open.

But early in the morning, fans usually keep updated a register with names of the fans and a sequence number, a number which is written on you hand with a marker. Later, a call of for all registered fans is made, and the queues are formed on this basis.

3 minutes ago, StephOnTour87 said:

If things happen as previous concerts, there is no wristband collect, as you get them couple of hours before the gates open.

But early in the morning, fans usually keep updated a register with names of the fans and a sequence number, a number which is written on you hand with a marker. Later, a call of for all registered fans is made, and the queues are formed on this basis.

Fabulous StephonTour ...so would you recomment heading there for 9 a.m. on Saturday ?

I posted this in another thread but it's probably worth mentioning here. In Ireland some peoples approach to 'queuing' can be different to say the least and add that to Irish peoples aversion to being told what to do by by those in authority let alone apparently self appointed queue organisers, things might not go as smoothly as in other cities. Having said that I suppose like in most places it largely depends on how it is stewarded.

Just back from Barcelona. I have to say that the U2 Valencia fan club did an amazing job with keeping the line. 

We were there from 6am (297-298) and we advanced in cordoned areas throughout the day. Each time you'd see several 500+ would have sneaked into the group (basically people who had jumped from an overnight-6am wait to coming at 2pm). Up until the final queue (literally beside GA door) there were perhaps 50+ people who didn't earn their place in the queue. 

U2 Valencia, with the support of the crowd, did a wristband by wristband re-queue lining up 1-50, 50-100 and so on until we all had our fair place. Awesome job guys. 

In Twickenham I was in the late 900s and enough people broke into the queue so that when we were allowed in early (3-3:30) the last 50-100 people weren't  actually allowed in with the early list. Basically the 50-100 who broke the queue took our places and (I'm guessing) when the barrier computer said that 1000 had gone in early they just stopped everyone until the GA 4:30 time.

I'm saying this to agree with the last poster.  The queue is only as good as the people enforcing the list. 

Has anyone experience of the Dublin early queue?

I am sure also you will get the queue people who go to Croke Park on Friday night and start a numbered list in advance of people lining up on Saturday, then they go back to their hotel and come back on Saturday morning to claim their numbered place, even if that is in front of people that were there earlier than them on Saturday morning.

I would imagine Irish fans that get there early on Saturday wouldn't be overly happy with people pushing in front of them that had created some list the night before. This arrangement has been happening in other places. Just saying!

Look folks, as an Irish guy living close by to Croke Park I think it is only fair to warn you that we have already started the queing process.  We only get the lads home every so often so we think it is only fair and about time that us Irish actually get to the front of the crowd rather than tourists who are following the tour and have been there countless times before and I'm sure you will get your chance again.  So right now we have about 250 people in the Pitch 2 queue and about 400 in the Pitch 1 queue, so you will have to be next in line to us.  We started Queing after the Dubs match last week, indeed, some of us didn't even leave the stadium untill we were found hiding in the toilets on Tuesday afternoon.  The start of the queue is now in the Hairy Lemon and will proceed to Fibbers later on this evening before advancing to the Big Flee tomorrow.  We will then congregate in the Jones Road vicinity about 3pm on Saturday and enter the stadium from there in the respective avenues for the 2 seperate pitch areas.  If you are not part of our numbering system and you try and jump the queue you will be sent back to Quinns at that stage to join the back of the line.

So lets be fair everyone and respect your place

I've pitch 1 tickets for Saturday but hard to know what to say when you hear there's 400 already in that queue. I don't know if I want to laugh or cry.  Suppose it's at least good to know  

Even if people queue overnight Friday (If you fly in Friday or if you work) there's basically no chance of a rail. You're  at best looking at a few rows out or behind red zone. 

As someone who's done it many times down the years I respect those who queue and earn their spot but I also Kind of feel a bit sorry if I'm honest for people flying in, starting to queue on Friday - typically that would earn you a rail in other venues. At least people reading this will know what to expect now. Wow. 

It's gonna be an amazing gig no matter where on the pitch you end up. It's a different show in different spots is all. 

Seriously. Is there a ga line or not. Comeing from Norway tomorrow and would really like to know....

2 hours ago, stevieob said:

Look folks, as an Irish guy living close by to Croke Park I think it is only fair to warn you that we have already started the queing process.  We only get the lads home every so often so we think it is only fair and about time that us Irish actually get to the front of the crowd rather than tourists who are following the tour and have been there countless times before and I'm sure you will get your chance again.  So right now we have about 250 people in the Pitch 2 queue and about 400 in the Pitch 1 queue, so you will have to be next in line to us.  We started Queing after the Dubs match last week, indeed, some of us didn't even leave the stadium untill we were found hiding in the toilets on Tuesday afternoon.  The start of the queue is now in the Hairy Lemon and will proceed to Fibbers later on this evening before advancing to the Big Flee tomorrow.  We will then congregate in the Jones Road vicinity about 3pm on Saturday and enter the stadium from there in the respective avenues for the 2 seperate pitch areas.  If you are not part of our numbering system and you try and jump the queue you will be sent back to Quinns at that stage to join the back of the line.

Thanks for sharing. When can i meet at Big Flee? Who to look for? Can't wait!!!

48 minutes ago, Inger said:

Seriously. Is there a ga line or not. Comeing from Norway tomorrow and would really like to know....

I think that stevieob is joking.  I suspect that he wasn't hiding in the toilets for 3 days .. I suspect there aren't 650 people queuing in the Hairy Lemon pub.  I suspect ... 

Perhaps the truth is that no-one knows where the queue is starting.  Does anyone actually know anything real?

4 hours ago, stevieob said:

That's grand.  I will be with you shortly. Just down the road in Fairview. Do I need to bring the passport or will the "cupla focail" be sufficient proof for entry. Just to be clear, I draw the line at wearing one of those blue jerseys. It's red and white for me always.

So basically ....nobody knows ....  We are flying in tomorrow ...Can't wait .....#251 and #252 for Pitch 2  ;)

So excited that Croke Park is a day away! It's my first time seeing U2 in Europe and going it alone in GA. One of the best parts is meeting fellow fans in the GA queues so hopefully will meet some of you there :)

Does anyone have thoughts/plans on seeing what the queue situation looks like tomorrow or are most thinking to get there early on Saturday (similar to other venues)? Any advice for a first timer going to Croke Park for the concert? 

10 hours ago, stevieob said:

Brillant! Love it.

So took a drive to Croke park to see what was going on with the queue.  (You can have a look at a croke park map to see the areas I'm talking about).

The entrance to Pitch 1 and 2 will be from St. Jame's Avenue/Foster's Terrace streets.  There's some security around that area and there's absolutely no queue developing (if there is it's hidden away in a pub or somewhere else).

Outside  the Croke Park hotel on Jones' Road there's a few people collecting names and handing out numbers for Pitch 2.  They're not doing Pitch 1 only Pitch 2.  The lady there who's managing that list is staying in the hotel and just on the wall outside.  She's spoken to security and they're letting her take down a name and give out a number providing that people get the number then leave.  She's telling people to come back at fixed times (so for everyone that has a number so far they come back at 8am to sign back in etc).  I was talking to the security people and they agreed that she's doing a decent job taking names and stopping a queue forming.  When I left she was at 178 but people were coming in 2s and 3s all the time so I suspect that will grow quickly.

I walked around the back at the car park (back of Davin stand) and around the streets and it was dead.  No sign of a queue for Pitch 2.

Hope that helps someone.  If anyone finds out where the queue for pitch 1 has started would appreciate a PM!

Lots of security and they told me they'll be moving anyone who tries to gather - they'll be there all night at all the key spots.  So they're taking that no queuing thing seriously fyi.

Nice skies around Croke Park.  Definitely the atmosphere is building!

croke park small.jpg

Guys, you have to remember, or possibly not aware of - the many wranglings there have been over the years with the residents that live around the Croke Park area. I suppose understandable - and U2 over time get that. Croke Park is in 'inner city' residential Dublin ( or on the edge of it) - which means lots of close knit communities. Perhaps not the wealthiest areas of Dublin - but a football stadium that was built to represent the working class, the gaelic loving football supporters of Dublin and Ireland.

It's a short distance from the fun buzzing city centre that displays also the effects of poverty and misfortune in life.

Over time the controls have been agreed and put in place to alleviate some of the major disruption that affects this area when a big show hits town - which is quite often during the summer, and many of the locals I dare say love it and make some 'spin offs' from it without a doubt.

However, Croke Park is a symbolic venue. It's not, like many modern stadiums sited in a green field area, or by the sea as part of modern city re-generation. It just is where it is - and that's what makes it unique.

I would just respect the controls that are in place. They are generally there for a reason and taken from learnings over many years to ensure the relationship between concert goers and locals remains a harmonious one.

I'm not from the area myself by the way, but I do understand why it's a much more 'sterile' environment than say,  30 years ago!!:D

Bedlam then. I'd have been a very annoyed local resident myself!

Edited by yardie

30 minutes ago, kildarekonga said:

So took a drive to Croke park to see what was going on with the queue.  (You can have a look at a croke park map to see the areas I'm talking about).

The entrance to Pitch 1 and 2 will be from St. Jame's Avenue/Foster's Terrace streets.  There's some security around that area and there's absolutely no queue developing (if there is it's hidden away in a pub or somewhere else).

Outside  the Croke Park hotel on Jones' Road there's a few people collecting names and handing out numbers for Pitch 2.  They're not doing Pitch 1 only Pitch 2.  The lady there who's managing that list is staying in the hotel and just on the wall outside.  She's spoken to security and they're letting her take down a name and give out a number providing that people get the number then leave.  She's telling people to come back at fixed times (so for everyone that has a number so far they come back at 8am to sign back in etc).  I was talking to the security people and they agreed that she's doing a decent job taking names and stopping a queue forming.  When I left she was at 178 but people were coming in 2s and 3s all the time so I suspect that will grow quickly.

I walked around the back at the car park (back of Davin stand) and around the streets and it was dead.  No sign of a queue for Pitch 2.

Hope that helps someone.  If anyone finds out where the queue for pitch 1 has started would appreciate a PM!

Lots of security and they told me they'll be moving anyone who tries to gather - they'll be there all night at all the key spots.  So they're taking that no queuing thing seriously fyi.

Nice skies around Croke Park.  Definitely the atmosphere is building!

croke park small.jpg

Great pic.