Sign in to follow this  
ultraviolet69

Sunday Bloody Sunday in Croke Park. The original Bloody Sunday.

I've seen U2 many times since 1985, never outside of Ireland. I've watched them play 'Sunday Bloody Sunday' in Croke Park numerous times now without a single reference to the fact that the original Bloody Sunday occurred right there in Croke Park. 16 innocent civilians shot dead in a football stadium! Do U2 fans even know that? U2 would make a big deal of that kind of thing if they were playing in a stadium in Soweto but not in their home country. I was encouraged by their 'justice for the forgotten' piece during Raised by Wolves on the i+e tour. I know there is little video support for the first few songs of this tour but in Croke Park for the first song, could they at least just put up an image of Michael Hogan (Hogan Stand), the footballer who lost his life on that day at the hands of foreign troops? The English rugby team could show a reverence in Croke Park when they played there for the first time. I really wish U2 could acknowledge such an historic and truly dreadful event. They would do our nation a service. Instead of just playing the Irish card they should act it too. Looking forward to the show on Saturday all the same.

"Sunday Bloody Sunday" is about the murder of innocent civilians on the streets of Derry in 1972 . 

Youre thinking of Bloody Sunday which occured in 1920 when members of the RIC murdered inncocent civilians in Croke Park , an event which was not covered by U2 in song .

9 hours ago, mick_scullion said:

"Sunday Bloody Sunday" is about the murder of innocent civilians on the streets of Derry in 1972 . 

Youre thinking of Bloody Sunday which occured in 1920 when members of the RIC murdered inncocent civilians in Croke Park , an event which was not covered by U2 in song .

I know my history and they're both Bloody Sundays. Both involved the killing of innocent civilians by security forces representing the same country. I don't mean to sound bolshy but it's just a pity U2 wouldn't acknowledge that this was the site of a massacre of innocents. The original Bloody Sunday. 

2 hours ago, clarky46 said:

There's been lots of killings by both sides both wrong 

I didn't say there weren't and I'm not taking sides. Not the point I was making. Nothing to do with sides. I'm just surprised they have never made reference to the Croke Park Bloody Sunday while playing Sunday Bloody Sunday there. Even Queen Elizabeth could acknowledge it when she visited Croke Park.