Sign in to follow this  
jules_cox

Redzone problems Dublin

Hi everyone

Wanted to say a big thank you to Emma and Kate and the rest of the Red Zone team for being such wonderful hosts on Saturday. Brilliant job.

At the same time I wanted to highlight the poor behaviour of a small minority of fans whose behaviour towards  official event organisers and some red zone attendees was very rude and aggressive at times.

When i arrived at the designated meeting point there was already an argument going on between a tall french girl, dark har in a bob early thirties and red zone attendees sitting quietly on the grass. The jist of it seemed to be that she and her friends had been there since the morning and there was a numbering system (there was of course no numbering system, that's something that it seems fans who regularly attend the event have come up with themselves), When one of the event organisers intervened he got a hard time too.

At the stadium on the way in we were told by the official event organisers to form two queues,, one for people with bags and one for those without. Following what I was told to do by the event organisers I stepped into the no bag queue only to receive a volley of abuse by the same french girl who told those of us who had joined the no bag queue to get back in line. It was all very rude, aggressive and unpleasant. I felt very embarrassed and intimidated. 

Emma very sensibly sorted it all out and we went back into one queue, no drama required. For my part I wasn't bothered. There was no material advantage to be first in. U2 weren't on for another five hours and there was ample time to move around freely and stand exactly what you wanted including anywhere on the barrier. 

I found the whole thing baffling. Fortunately the gig itself was brilliant. A lifetime dream fulfilled and I will definitely do Red zone again. Can nothing be done though about certain over zealous fans adopting a position of self imposed importance and entitlement and causing havoc for those who simply want to enjoy their day?

I want to do RZ next tour, but slightly off putting this queue monitior thing. Sorry i don't get it even in normal GA. You turn up and if there are people already there in front of you, fine. None of this list thing, check in thing. U2 haven't put you in charge. Do it the old fashioned way. Get there early, don't cut in front of those already there and run for the rail. Who runs the fastest gets a good spot.

Having done Red Zone, there is nothing wrong with the list.  There are two lineups. one, when you get there and the official one before the gates open. I got there at 2:30 in new jersey. There were 13 people already there. Someone gave me number 14. simple enough.  When it came time to line up for getting your tickets and entry, everyone honored their number and lined up accordingly.  It couldnt have been any simpler and straightforward.  This is to prevent those who are not as honorable who might skip the line or hold spots for their friends who didnt feel the need to get there so early.  The numbering lasted all the way until we got inside the stadium to the Red Zone entry. Then, everyone ran for their spot. It was a great system. I got the spot i wanted and didnt have to camp out.  Id do it again in a heartbeat. 

3 hours ago, nyru2 said:

Having done Red Zone, there is nothing wrong with the list.  There are two lineups. one, when you get there and the official one before the gates open. I got there at 2:30 in new jersey. There were 13 people already there. Someone gave me number 14. simple enough.  When it came time to line up for getting your tickets and entry, everyone honored their number and lined up accordingly.  It couldnt have been any simpler and straightforward.  This is to prevent those who are not as honorable who might skip the line or hold spots for their friends who didnt feel the need to get there so early.  The numbering lasted all the way until we got inside the stadium to the Red Zone entry. Then, everyone ran for their spot. It was a great system. I got the spot i wanted and didnt have to camp out.  Id do it again in a heartbeat. 

I have heard plenty of stories where the person who is in charge of the list puts their friends on the list, and they aren't even in the queue. The person who starts the list going off for hours so people who join the queue when they are gone can't get on the list. People who start the list being rude and agressive to people who don't want to join the list but aren't queue cutting...  person in charge of the list becoming verbally agressive and threaten people if someone doesn't do things their way they will be at the back of the queue/won't get in etc. I'm sure on ocasion like yours, it works but i hear more stories of peoples night being spoiled because of some bully. I certainly won't take that sort of nonsense from anyone.

The current fan run lists are clearly not working for alot of people and as ally33 pointed out they are, unfortunately, open to abuse.  I agree with Matt McGees piece on atu2.com on 26 July, 'It's time for U2 to take control of it's own GA Line'.  This can apply to Redzone lines also.