Planning to see U2 this weekend in Amsterdam? Please be aware that there will be (or very limited) trains between Amsterdam Central Station and Bijlmer ArenA. You better can use the metro. Line 54 from Central Station towards Gein or line 50 from Sloterdijk Station to Gein. The station you'll need is Bijlmer ArenA and is just 5 minutes walk toward the stadium. Last metro's back will run shortly after 0:00 hrs, but the concert will end at about 23:00 / 23:30 (latest). So there's plenty of time to reach the last metro's back to beautiful Amsterdam. 
To travel by metro you'll need this OV-card (public transport cards) which can be purchased from machines on the station, or from local stores and Tourist info shops on Central Station. You can buy tickets for a day or more. Or you can buy a tourist card which includes the train to and from the airport too. 
Use this link for more info on traveling and tickets: https://en.gvb.nl/tickets

In the stadium you can pay by debit card, Master Card, Visa, Visa Electron, AmEx and VPay. No cash is accepted at concession stands, the 'Major Tom' guys (mobile beer and softdrink selling point) sometimes accept cash though. Or they sell you a special 'Arena card' to get more drinks. 

There will be NO special GA section in front of the stage, like they normally have, so queing for a place inside that section is not needed. If you want to get a rail spot, you have to be present really early I think. There are two GA entrances G and J, they both have a queing line located on the 'Arena Boulevard' which connects the stadium to the train/metro station. 

use this link for all info of the local concert promoter Mojo: https://www.mojo.nl/amsterdam-arena-international/#u7xOvKB7AEm2sOrV.97

If you have some spare time left in Amsterdam take the ferry to NDSM wharf. It's a free ride starting at the back of Central Stadion to this former wharf where you'll find plenty of great places to enjoy the sun, have a drink and grab some food. Personally I love this place called Noorderlicht (it's under the huge crane). Or go to the 'beach' of Pllekk. 

Be aware that taxi's can be a dissapointing experience in Amsterdam, especially when taking an 'unofficial' one from the airport. There's some scum drivers who use 'runners' in the terminal to talk you into their taxi and charge you ridiculous fares. If you want to take a taxi from the airport ALWAYS take one at the official taxi stop just outside the terminal. 

Here's a map of the Amsterdam ArenA and the train station with all entrances and point of interest. If you need any advice please let me know.

u2arena.jpg

Amsterdam Public Transport just announced there will be extra metro trains on Saturday and Sunday night to and from the Amsterdam ArenA. There will be no special 'late' trains driving, so make sure you'll be at the station at 0:00 hrs latest to catch your last train.

If you decide to visit the after party at 3&20 on Saturday night, you'll have to catch a night bus or a taxi.

1 hour ago, ally33 said:

Thanks. Is it cash at the merch stands?

I think both, cash and cards. 

Hi Gogme, Flying in on Friday and staying in a hotel at Eerste Ringdijkstraat 4, 1097 BC Amsterdam, gotta collect tickets at Bijlmer Station on Friday, do a bit of sightseeing, go to the gig on Saturday and fly back Sunday night - would you recommend the GVB 3-day ticket?

Thanks

Phil

13 hours ago, EochaillMono said:

Hi Gogme, Flying in on Friday and staying in a hotel at Eerste Ringdijkstraat 4, 1097 BC Amsterdam, gotta collect tickets at Bijlmer Station on Friday, do a bit of sightseeing, go to the gig on Saturday and fly back Sunday night - would you recommend the GVB 3-day ticket?

Thanks

Phil

I think that's the best you can do. Your hotel is in walking distance of Amstel Station (train, metro, tram, bus). From there it's an easy journey to Bijlmer station (15 minutes) with metro 54. And from there it's easy to go in town, but it's too far to walk. So using the metro would be quite sufficient. Having this 3 day ticket saves you a lot of hassle. 

Some more info from the venue:

Goedemorgen meneer Pouw,

Hartelijk dank voor uw e-mail.

Buiten de Red-zone zal er geen extra vak vrij zijn voor de mensen die er vroeg zijn. U zult hierbij in het reguliere vak komen.

Met vriendelijke groet,
AMSTERDAM ARENA

Niels Schoenmaker
Medewerker Service Desk

T.  +31 20-311 13 33
W. www.amsterdamarena.nl
W. amsterdaminnovationarena.com

Amsterdam ArenA is ISO-9001:2008 Certified

22 hours ago, Gogme United said:

Amsterdam Public Transport just announced there will be extra metro trains on Saturday and Sunday night to and from the Amsterdam ArenA. There will be no special 'late' trains driving, so make sure you'll be at the station at 0:00 hrs latest to catch your last train.

If you decide to visit the after party at 3&20 on Saturday night, you'll have to catch a night bus or a taxi.

How is it normally getting onto the Metro after an event or match at Amsterdam ArenA? I'm expecting long queues?

Was over for a show on the i&e tour at Ziggo and had no problem getting NS train back after to Zaandam. Am staying at same hotel again this time for the show on Sunday, so looks like its going to be metro to either Centraal or Sloterdijk and transfer onto the NS train from there.

1 hour ago, NickGreeen88 said:

How is it normally getting onto the Metro after an event or match at Amsterdam ArenA? I'm expecting long queues?

Was over for a show on the i&e tour at Ziggo and had no problem getting NS train back after to Zaandam. Am staying at same hotel again this time for the show on Sunday, so looks like its going to be metro to either Centraal or Sloterdijk and transfer onto the NS train from there.

I just checked the website of the Dutch railways (www.ns.nl). Best you can do is take a metro to Amsterdam Centraal and take a train from there. From ArenA to Central station is just under 20 minutes. But you can change at Sloterdijk too, the metro journey is about 30 minutes then, but the station is smaller so it's easier to change to train.

There are NO direct trains from ArenA to Zaandam.

The queues will be longer than normal, but most people have to get trains to the rest of Holland, the metro will be ok I think. 

Amsterdam Public Transport (GVB) have told me that they will have extra metro trains because of the lack of trains going to Amsterdam Central Station. 

There will be 6 trains leaving Amsterdam Centraal going to Zaandam on Sunday after 23:30, the latest will leave at 0:37 so that will be no problem getting them. Check out the NS website for time and track info (or send me a PM)

1 hour ago, Andorpouw said:

Some more info from the venue:

Goedemorgen meneer Pouw,

Hartelijk dank voor uw e-mail.

Buiten de Red-zone zal er geen extra vak vrij zijn voor de mensen die er vroeg zijn. U zult hierbij in het reguliere vak komen.

Met vriendelijke groet,
AMSTERDAM ARENA

Niels Schoenmaker
Medewerker Service Desk

T.  +31 20-311 13 33
W. www.amsterdamarena.nl
W. amsterdaminnovationarena.com

Amsterdam ArenA is ISO-9001:2008 Certified

Thanks for checking multiple sources! Pity there won't be a separate front of stage section for early arrivers, but then also no stress about getting in such section...

2 minutes ago, Johan Ypma said:

Thanks for checking multiple sources! Pity there won't be a separate front of stage section for early arrivers, but then also no stress about getting in such section...

A lot of pushing an shoving though... I'm glad I decided to go for Red Zone :-)

3 hours ago, Gogme United said:

A lot of pushing an shoving though... I'm glad I decided to go for Red Zone :-)

Well, it was quite relaxed in London, so hope it will be the same without pit in Amsterdam. Red zone would have been nice, but I'm happy with 3 U2 shows with 'just' regular GA tickets. Will find a good spot anyway. Enjoy the Red Zone and thanks for providing the helpful information!

28 minutes ago, monica martino said:

Topic of the year! Thanks so much :)

Thank you, and all others in this thread that already thanked me. I love to help people out and make them feel at home. All the best. :-)

Is there no way at all of walking from central Amsterdam (we are staying at the Student Hotel West) to the Arena? It's only 6.9 kilometres?

On 25/07/2017 at 6:42 PM, Johan Ypma said:

Well, it was quite relaxed in London, so hope it will be the same without pit in Amsterdam. Red zone would have been nice, but I'm happy with 3 U2 shows with 'just' regular GA tickets. Will find a good spot anyway. Enjoy the Red Zone and thanks for providing the helpful information!

London GA was the best GA I have been to so far - well organised and not too crowded, Dublin and Rome were both much more crowded. Not sure what Amsterdam will be like. Doing GA one night and RZ the other in Amsterdam.

I'm planning a bit of sightseeing (been already in Amsterdam in the past) 

Royal palace and Heineken experience Are they worth time and money? Also... Any suggestion for a good place to eat? Thank you again 

12 hours ago, Mark Taylor said:

Is there no way at all of walking from central Amsterdam (we are staying at the Student Hotel West) to the Arena? It's only 6.9 kilometres?

That's probably as the crow flies though. Get the metro. That's what I am going to do as there are works going on the main trains.

On ‎25‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 2:56 PM, Gogme United said:

I just checked the website of the Dutch railways (www.ns.nl). Best you can do is take a metro to Amsterdam Centraal and take a train from there. From ArenA to Central station is just under 20 minutes. But you can change at Sloterdijk too, the metro journey is about 30 minutes then, but the station is smaller so it's easier to change to train.

There are NO direct trains from ArenA to Zaandam.

The queues will be longer than normal, but most people have to get trains to the rest of Holland, the metro will be ok I think. 

Amsterdam Public Transport (GVB) have told me that they will have extra metro trains because of the lack of trains going to Amsterdam Central Station. 

There will be 6 trains leaving Amsterdam Centraal going to Zaandam on Sunday after 23:30, the latest will leave at 0:37 so that will be no problem getting them. Check out the NS website for time and track info (or send me a PM)

Great, thanks for your advice, feel more confident now that getting back should be fine.

Enjoy the show!

5 minutes ago, NickGreeen88 said:

Great, thanks for your advice, feel more confident now that getting back should be fine.

Enjoy the show!

You're welcome.

And remember, this area holds a football stadium, a huge concert hall (Ziggo Dome, fits 18.000), a smaller concert hall (Afas Live, fits ± 5000) and a huge cinema. We've had days where all venues had events and there were no real problems getting all these people home. So don't worry, as this time it's 'just' a U2 concert... 

Tell us more about the night buses gogme. Great work on all this btw

On 27-7-2017 at 8:17 AM, monica martino said:

I'm planning a bit of sightseeing (been already in Amsterdam in the past) 

Royal palace and Heineken experience Are they worth time and money? Also... Any suggestion for a good place to eat? Thank you again 

Never been to the Royal Palace, so don't know. Have been in the Heineken brewery once, before they changed it to an 'experience'. All I know is that it's quite crowded there, as all museums are right now. Amsterdam is crowded with lots of tourists. Heineken brewery isn't a real brewery anymore, it's just a building and the 'experience'. It can be fun though, I myself prefer a Heineken experience in a pub ;-)
If you like photography you can visit the Foam museum, they have an outstanding exhibition of Gordon Parks. A must see if you ask me: https://www.foam.org/home

Edited by Gogme United