Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

U2Community

The Blackout

Recommended Posts

Bigwave, I have another question for you. Did you get to hold Bono up when he was crowdsurfing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ooooooh that was all a bit sexy ?

40 years on and still creating great sounds, fabulous!

(PS. Is Larry turning into The Terminator?!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know, the thing I liked the most about the song is that fact that you wouldn't necessarily know it was U2 at first. The last time I had that feeling hearing U2 was when I first heard "Achtung Baby", "Zoo Station" specifically. That is, they appear to be trying to expand the 'U2 sound' (i.e., the overall sound we all hear in U2 songs that makes their songs different from (and better than) others) beyond what is known or expected from them.

I didn't love, or even understand, songs like "Zoo Station" at first - but, I adore them now! I hope this song is a initial signal that "Songs Of Experience" could possibly be an attempt to create an AB for the 21st Century. (Well, that is my hope anyway. :)

Looking forward to next week! :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mich40 said:

Bigwave, I have another question for you. Did you get to hold Bono up when he was crowdsurfing?

he was just to left of us, they did 5 takes, he crowdsurfed in 2, up the middle.. so not , but was amazing, spontaneous looking.. comes across great on video you think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gman70 said:

Not liking what i have heard so far. From what i can gather, its yet another attempt at a universally accepted Pop Hit. Likely along the lines of The Miracle, GOYB and other such sub standard u2 tunes. Id love to be wrong tho. Guess we will find out for sure soon

I'm presently on the same page. The only caveat I have to that is I have needed a bit of time to 'find myself' feeling certain tunes from the last 3 disks. I was very satisfies when I did, though same never found me or vise versa, to be frank.

Feels a little like Superman has Vertigo. Whereas 'The Little Things..' , while a fairly uncomplicated presentation carries all the typical very real sincerity we know pulls many of us in.

It's only one song, but....it makes me nervous ! Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bigwave said:

he was just to left of us, they did 5 takes, he crowdsurfed in 2, up the middle.. so not , but was amazing, spontaneous looking.. comes across great on video you think?

It does! Of course my first reaction was "Be careful Bono!"  There's just so much energy in the video and song.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bigwave said:

he was just to left of us, they did 5 takes, he crowdsurfed in 2, up the middle.. so not , but was amazing, spontaneous looking.. comes across great on video you think?

Well actually he jumped 4 times out of 5 , had to hold his belly and shoulders and ass every time. He was always looking with his right hand for a steady grip by a fan, but I never got his hand. Weird seeing Bono above you 4 times after each other :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Expected more based on the clip yesterday. Hopefully it's a grower.  Interesting to see some of the usual suspects randomly selected for the video.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This sounds like something off of Achtung Baby! The beginning is like a combo of Even Better Than The Real Thing and The Miracle. Absolutely great, I love it, it's a hit! And Bono crowdsurfing is just the best bonus ? Can't wait until next week for the new single. Wish they would release this one now though! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dermo said:

Expected more based on the clip yesterday. Hopefully it's a grower.  Interesting to see some of the usual suspects randomly selected for the video.

all those selected got to bring a +1 and some of the +1's were well known fans, bloggers, documenters, fansite contributors / owners etc, who do loads for the u2 community, and it felt like quite a few who got picked by film company, offered their +1's to those folks. Amazing day of U2 Community. One of the best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

also, the U2.com team was all there throughout the day, and we got loads of extras / interviews coming up from the day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's all about that bass. ❤️

I'm also hearing perhaps some Ryan Tedder influence in the song? 

 

*Play, Repeat* ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the song!  The Bass is great!  To me it feels a little bit Achtung Baby and War mixed up. For bigwave and the others there, I wonder how it was to hear the song all day and then have to wait a month.  That would probably make my brain go a little crazy!  Really hope they play it in Buffalo on Tuesday!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dwenn said:

Love the song!  The Bass is great!  To me it feels a little bit Achtung Baby and War mixed up. For bigwave and the others there, I wonder how it was to hear the song all day and then have to wait a month.  That would probably make my brain go a little crazy!  Really hope they play it in Buffalo on Tuesday!!!!

very catchy.. was humming it for days afterwards.. very hard not to talk about it.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, dmway said:

You know, the thing I liked the most about the song is that fact that you wouldn't necessarily know it was U2 at first. The last time I had that feeling hearing U2 was when I first heard "Achtung Baby", "Zoo Station" specifically. That is, they appear to be trying to expand the 'U2 sound' (i.e., the overall sound we all hear in U2 songs that makes their songs different from (and better than) others) beyond what is known or expected from them.

I didn't love, or even understand, songs like "Zoo Station" at first - but, I adore them now! I hope this song is a initial signal that "Songs Of Experience" could possibly be an attempt to create an AB for the 21st Century. (Well, that is my hope anyway. :)

Looking forward to next week! :D

 

BEST comment  on this topic.....That's what I hope too.....When I first heard Achtung Baby I thought the cassette was broken (because of Zoo Station and Love is Blindness was so low in volume I could barely hear it, .......) and I was angry and confused for a bit there...

.... The groove only kicked in 5 listens in when I truly understood what  was going on...

There definitely was something special there from the first listen ...though

Now I have headphones and I listen to Achtung Baby everyday......

Regardless the means by which one listens to stuff, I think it's that feeling of never before that you get......Which can be unsettling ........You know..babysteps into unknown territory....Having no idea what you're doing ....

And I think it is the case here too...

Roll on the 6th of September !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, dmway said:

You know, the thing I liked the most about the song is that fact that you wouldn't necessarily know it was U2 at first. The last time I had that feeling hearing U2 was when I first heard "Achtung Baby", "Zoo Station" specifically. That is, they appear to be trying to expand the 'U2 sound' (i.e., the overall sound we all hear in U2 songs that makes their songs different from (and better than) others) beyond what is known or expected from them.

I didn't love, or even understand, songs like "Zoo Station" at first - but, I adore them now! I hope this song is a initial signal that "Songs Of Experience" could possibly be an attempt to create an AB for the 21st Century. (Well, that is my hope anyway. :)

Looking forward to next week! :D

 

 

3 minutes ago, pain_18_ said:

BEST comment  on this topic.....That's what I hope too.....When I first heard Achtung Baby I thought the cassette was broken (because of Zoo Station and Love is Blindness was so low in volume I could barely hear it, .......) and I was angry and confused for a bit there...

.... The groove only kicked in 5 listens in when I truly understood what  was going on...

There definitely was something special there from the first listen ...though

And I think it is the case here too...

THIS!!

It's really a different U2! The way it begins with Edge's guitar, then on to ADAM's..It's like they got into something different. The lyrics are what I love the most, "throw  yourself about" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, pain_18_ said:

BEST comment  on this topic.....That's what I hope too.....When I first heard Achtung Baby I thought the cassette was broken (because of Zoo Station and Love is Blindness was so low in volume I could barely hear it, .......) and I was angry and confused for a bit there...

.... The groove only kicked in 5 listens in when I truly understood what  was going on...

There definitely was something special there from the first listen ...though

And I think it is the case here too...

 

Thank you for your kind words! :) Yes! What I said when I first heard the opening strains of "Zoo Station" was, "What the F%*K is this?!?" :D But, now AB by far is my favorite U2 album - they completely challenged what I had in my mind as U2. Because they had, AB was all I could listen to for a long time - I still love it.

Of course, just hearing one song who can say what the rest of the album will sound like? But, "Blackout" made me jerk my head around the same way as "Zoo Station" did - not what I was expecting at all. And, they used this song as the first hint into what the rest of the album may sound like (apart from the live "The Little Things That Give You Away" this summer). I have optimism. :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dmway said:

 

Thank you for your kind words! :) Yes! What I said when I first heard the opening strains of "Zoo Station" was, "What the F%*K is this?!?" :D But, now AB by far is my favorite U2 album - they completely challenged what I had in my mind as U2. Because they had, AB was all I could listen to for al long time - I still love it.

Of course, just hearing one song who can say what the rest of the album will sound like? But, "Blackout" made me jerk my head around the same way as "Zoo Station" did - not what I was expecting at all. And, they used this song as the first hint into what the rest of the album may sound like (apart from the live "The Little Things That Give You Away" this summer). I have optimism. :)

 

Preach !!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

u2start have worked out most of the lyrics : http://u2start.com/songs/956/

 

Dinosaur wonders why he still walks the Earth
A meteor promises its not gonna hit
Earthquake always happen when you're in bed
The house shakes, maybe it was something I said

Go easy on me, easy on me, brother
Go easy on me, easy on me now

When the lights go out
Throw yourself about
In the darkness where you learn to see
When the lights go out
Don't you ever doubt
The light that we can really be

Statues fall and democracy is flat on it's back, jack
We had it all, and what we had is not coming back
A big mouth says the people they don't wanna be free for free
The blackout is this an extinction event we see

When the lights go out
Throw yourself about
In the darkness where you learn to see
When the lights go out
Don't you ever doubt
The light that we can really be

When the lights go out
When the lights go out
When the lights go out

Blackout
It's clear
Who you are will appear
Blackout
No fear
So glad that we are all still here
The lights go out..

When the lights go out
When the lights go out

When the lights go out
Throw yourself about
In the darkness where you learn to see
When the lights go out
Don't you ever doubt
The light that we can really be

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great energy.  I sure hope they add this song into the rotation for the upcoming fall shows.  I think the GA crowd will go nuts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...