Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

U2Community

The Blackout

Wonder how long until they'll give us   The BlackOut or The BEest thing about me is you as free downloads for subscribers.....

At first listen and when then the intro began I thought oh no it's sounds like Miracle part 2!

Don't get me wrong I quite like 'Miracle' but to have the first song of SOE sound similar would not be good.

Anyway As the song unfolds it raised my hopes that the rest of SOE could be much better that SOI.

2 minutes ago, adrnik said:

Anyway As the song unfolds it raised my hopes that the rest of SOE could be much better that SOI.

Yes, I was thinking that too. SOI I just don't listen to any more...

17 minutes ago, Frankaz said:

Funny thing is I've been listening to SOI quite a lot lately......But not as much as Achtung Baby, lol.....

I liked this song pretty fast, but as with a lot of U2 songs, the more I listen to it the more I like it, like you said Max.

Sounds like a mash-up of 'Joey Ramone' and 'Crystal Ballroom'. Ryan Tedder's hands are all over this. Having spent the last few days listening to the new 'War On Drugs' album, this new song sounds...uninspired.

3 hours ago, Malahide said:

To judge after one listen is difficult, but I'm not convinced. I was hoping for an epic song with a great melody, but it isn't. Maybe I change my mind later.

The song grows on me. Amazing how a few more listenings can change your opinion. Although I don't think it will become a U2 classic.

I expect The Blackout will work very well live. Maybe it will be the opener of the shows during the next tour?

Sounds good and looking forward to getting to know the song a little more. I love The Little Things.......so very hopeful SOE will be a good album. I've gone back to SOI recently and still dig it aside from a couple of tracks. I would love something A little ambient/moody like my all time favourite album Unforgettable Fire. To make that album as a 4th studio album took balls!

Adam's Bass is killer on this track, I'm liking it so far, It will be a highlight for sure on the SOE tour.

2 hours ago, Shannon387 said:

I'm also hearing perhaps some Ryan Tedder influence in the song? 

I should add I'm not necessarily 100% pleased by this (I have good reasons) but the band love him & appear to be good friends with him. I love U2 so I'll shush ? He has produced notable hits & does good work when he's trying. I'm keeping an open mind. 

While I'm enjoying this song I am hoping for more from the album. I did absolutely love The little things so I'm definitely excited for the album.

I ❤️U2. Roll on SOE ?????❤️

It sounds like Even Better than the Real Thing mixed in with Vertigo, The Fly, Invisable, California, and Santa Barbara and pieces of so many of their songs jumbled into one song..Somehow it works but Dear God, it is OBVIOUS Bono wrote the words...For a band that has the worst lyrics to their songs, when those songs are played live the energy fills the room or since they are big rock stars, energy fills the stadiums. I would have called the song BIZARRE but obviously the Songs of Experience has taught them, no matter what they write or play, it will sell out tours..The words could read the COW JUMPED OVER THE MOON and it would still sell....Maybe it will grow on me but there is just so much thrown into this one song that visually it is MAYHEM for folks that see music. It's like an artist that went mad.

I do indeed like the song more and more upon each listen.  I also really like The Little Things.  I was disappointed when they stopped playing it in Europe. To each there own for sure and I am not ready to say this will be an all-time classic, but I find it interesting that people can declare not a classic on a song out for less than 30 hours and compare to songs that have been classics for over 30 years.  I have had great discussions with an old friend and long time U2 fan over the new stuff versus the classic stuff about the new songs not having the same feeling and attitude.  My point has been that when say Iris is a great song for 2 years, that it is just another two years that With or Without You has been great.  The new songs can never catch up.  But in the end if you are a band that can release a song like this after being a band for 2 years, than you are quite fortunate.  If you are a band that releases this song after being a band for nearly 42 years, that is unprecedented. 

10 minutes ago, wahine said:

It sounds like Even Better than the Real Thing mixed in with Vertigo, The Fly, Invisable, California, and Santa Barbara and pieces of so many of their songs jumbled into one song..Somehow it works but Dear God, it is OBVIOUS Bono wrote the words...For a band that has the worst lyrics to their songs, when those songs are played live the energy fills the room or since they are big rock stars, energy fills the stadiums. I would have called the song BIZARRE but obviously the Songs of Experience has taught them, no matter what they write or play, it will sell out tours..The words could read the COW JUMPED OVER THE MOON and it would still sell....Maybe it will grow on me but there is just so much thrown into this one song that visually it is MAYHEM for folks that see music. It's like an artist that went mad.

Cow Jumps Over the Moon sounds brilliant to me, really.........

10 minutes ago, dwenn said:

I do indeed like the song more and more upon each listen.  I also really like The Little Things.  I was disappointed when they stopped playing it in Europe. To each there own for sure and I am not ready to say this will be an all-time classic, but I find it interesting that people can declare not a classic on a song out for less than 30 hours and compare to songs that have been classics for over 30 years.  I have had great discussions with an old friend and long time U2 fan over the new stuff versus the classic stuff about the new songs not having the same feeling and attitude.  My point has been that when say Iris is a great song for 2 years, that it is just another two years that With or Without You has been great.  The new songs can never catch up.  But in the end if you are a band that can release a song like this after being a band for 2 years, than you are quite fortunate.  If you are a band that releases this song after being a band for nearly 42 years, that is unprecedented. 

I think the mistake we're all doing here is comparing.....we gotta stop comparing.....this isn't the U2 that was 5 years ago...or 20 years ago...or 30..or 40......or 5 seconds ago........" It's like the room, just cleared of smoke......."

I was there too. My wife also. She is pregnant so if my daughter is born, I let her hear the song and tell her that she was there also

14 minutes ago, Gert de Wit said:

I was there too. My wife also. She is pregnant so if my daughter is born, I let her hear the song and tell her that she was there also

That is so SPECIAL!! I was VERY pregnant with my daughter when my husbands band opened for the Ramones. Joey Ramone was so sweet and wanted to feel the baby...when the bass was going she was literally kicking to the time of the song!!! They had security around me because I wanted to see the show from out front not backstage, so nobody could bump into me...The Ramones were a GREAT BAND and GREAT FOLKS! When I look back on our old life there were so many great times with so many bands and talented musicians. I could not hang in that world, I was traveling for surfing and him making music, we were drifting apart so I quit my pro surfing career and he tore up his record contract (his band hated me for that, but we decided what was best for our family, and it turned out fine, 32 years later and still married. We always told our daughter the story of the Ramones, so I am very stoked that you will have  a wonderful story to tell your own daughter!!! Blessings to you, your wife, and your little one!

3 hours ago, pain_18_ said:

Funny thing is I've been listening to SOI quite a lot lately......But not as much as Achtung Baby, lol.....

This will make you laugh....

I prefer ATYCLB to SOI!

3 hours ago, Frankaz said:

I'm more positive now ban when I heard Little Things.

To me it's so bland and wet.

Just now, adrnik said:

This will make you laugh....

I prefer ATYCLB to SOI!

Well I don't know how to think of them anymore really.......If I start listening to each album I love each and one of them, lol...........I always said I can't choose a favourite.....I  change the fav album shown on my profile once in a  while....but it doesn't really matter which one is typed there cuz they are all amazing.....

Just heard it. Not bad at all. I think it'll be a grower. Good punchy sound. Hope the album reflects some diversity in their sounds though. One or two tracks in this vein I can take - but I too would like to hear some more melodic U2. Bring back 'the chimes' the Egde.

Always great to get new material.

I'm sorry but SOE is shaping up to be U2's most boring album yet. Was not impressed with The Blackout one bit. Well, except for the first guitar bit. 

I love it!    Love Adam's bass, oh my goodness.  The opening definitely reminds me of Fly/Even Better/Miracle all in one, and then - bam - Adam takes it away. I hear the Ryan Tedder influence and I actually like it.   I love the lyrical sentiment though it isn't Bono's best songwriting ever.  But it's the politically relevant kind of song that they said they needed to wait and rewrite SOE for, so here it is.  I would love to see it live and dance my heart out.  Someone mentioned first hearing Achtung and thinking "what the &%! is this?" and then learning to love it -- I had the same experience with Achtung and am always hoping for that to happen again with U2.  I guess it kind of did on Pop.  But nothing since has knocked me out since.  This one isn't qute doing it to me, it doesn't quite have that same impact.  But I love it. What is up with Larry?  His enthusiasm is a bit lacking..  

Bigwave and others who were there, what an incredible experience!! 

I was getting some nasty Crystal Ballroom dèjá vu from the snippet yesterday, but the song was much better than I was expecting. I doubt it will become a classic, but I think it will definitely grow on me.