Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

U2Community

The Blackout

2 minutes ago, Amraaa said:

oh how lovely and kind, thank you!:)

let's wait for the whole album to come out so we can all sit down and listen to it as a whole- like you pointed out you did with SOI, i did, too, didn't leave the house for 3 days haha!

me, i honestly loved it. i love it that it's so drum and bass heavy- just how i like it!

You are most welcome !

I totally agree......Patience now...... .....Single's just a few days away...and SOE info.....

9 minutes ago, Frankaz said:

Gimme some money to buy it? :lol::lol::lol:

Same here, bruh !!!!

Maybe they'll give it away on iTunes?????

Haha. Not like last time I think. Too much backlash from that :P

5 minutes ago, Frankaz said:

Haha. Not like last time I think. Too much backlash from that :P

Dang it....JUST now when I needed it the most.....

I just watched it again. I hope that this song is meant to presage more of what SOE will be like - i.e., its overall sound. I'm ready for U2 to release a 'rocker' again, something in the vein of AB/Pop/HTDAAB as opposed to the last two albums (both of which I love, but they are on the mellower side of their musical spectrum).

Hearing Larry and Adam play on this song makes me grateful for the millionth time that they incorporated funky rhythms into their music, starting on AB. Their interplay brings so much to the songs - it always did, but once they aimed for the feet a bit more the songs got even bigger.

I also liked that they used the "sparks" effect on the video, just like "Exit" had on this tour.

Also, I have to agree with a few who made the same observation - when the crowd sounds aren't there, Edge's guitar will be much more evident. That crowd really was loud! :D

Yes - I'm ready for SOE, and I can hear why the band was so eager to release this album last year. Just from that song, you can tell that they are really enthusiastic about what they are doing. (I also think that they were right to wait - this tour was/is really good! :)

The sound is good the lyrics are awful 

altogether medium (the visual output decent)

not impressed

but however it is one of my favorite bands in the eye of eternity and The Little Things That Give You away is utterly lovely

11 hours ago, Gogme United said:

I was there too, one of the lucky few, really proud that U2 picked my hometown and one of the first cities outside UK and Eire to 'give U2 a break', as Bono once said. When I received the confirmation mail that I was invited I immediately started to find out where in Amsterdam this was going to be. And then, on Friday afternoon, I received a call to come to the Westergasfabriek (Western Gas Factory). So I invited a school friend, who is a U2 fan since the 80's too (in fact she wrote a book about U2) and we headed to the venue. We had to wear black or grey clothing without huge logo's and were told to keep our mouth shut about it. 

When I arrived I already thought that the filming was not taking place in the Gashouder, which is really huge, but in a small club called 'Westerunie' which is just next to it. Some people, who were on site posted stuff on Twitter, as they do, so the whole 'secret' was blown hours before it actually happened. It's a public place. 

We had to wait for hours outside while speculating what was going to happen. My friend was really worried U2 were going to perform a new song and shoot the video (which was spot on), but the song was going to be performed a couple of times and it turned out to be a 'reggae kind of ballad' or even worse... When we finally were inside the Gashouder my thoughts were right, there was no filming there, we just had to wait a little (ie: hours) more and were forced to leave our phones and sign all kinds of documents which told us we were entering a new kind of North-Korea :-)

Then they led us to the Westerunie and U2 performed this song five times, we were in this small venue full of cameras and cranes and stuff. These cameras had to change spot a couple of times before U2 played the song again. In fact it's really exiting to see no single camera or crane in the video!

At a certain moment Edge had troubles with his guitar, Dallas couldn't fix it and Bono got annoyed. He tried to cheer us up by doing a small Stand-up comedy routine: "A dyslectic walks into a bra" :-D

When it was all over we where crying for more, sung 'how long to sing this song' but the lads didn't play any extra songs for us. Bono was apologizing and asked people of the record company if we could listen to a brand new song of the forthcoming album, which they did. 

When I came home (just 10 minutes on the bicycle) I found out that Dutch newspapers and TV where mentioning this special gig already, but they were all wrong with the facts about what really happened. One of them actually wrote that 300 fans where hired and they were all dressed in black :-) I even wrote an article about this, called 'fake news' and was really worried I let too many secrets out, but fortunately I didn't. Here it is (for all Dutchies): http://www.gogmeunited.nl/fake-news/

About the song: I've heard it before, and immediately liked it. Which is not always the case when U2 comes with a first single from a new album... 

About the venue: last time I was at Westerunie it was for the funeral ceremony of a good friend of ours which passed away way too early. She was a huge U2 fan, so in some way that circle is round now.

IMG_0025.jpg

Thank you for sharing your experience. What a thrill!! Was it so hard to not talk about it for a month?  And I'm still so curious how the initial invite to join got issued - just an email out of the blue from U2.com to you, b/c you live in Amsterdam?  

14 minutes ago, JCF said:

Thank you for sharing your experience. What a thrill!! Was it so hard to not talk about it for a month?  And I'm still so curious how the initial invite to join got issued - just an email out of the blue from U2.com to you, b/c you live in Amsterdam?  

The initial invite was on the news section here: http://www.u2.com/news/title/up-close-and-personal-amsterdam/news/

Any member in the area during that time could have entered their info for a chance to be a part. 

Once again brilliant U2.

I just can't stop listening to it.

I love sound, all full on.

Loved it when I first heard it and even more now.

And a very cool clip U2, very cool.

I love it so much, I will listen to it even more yet.

Well done U2 love you. :u2-1383: :wub: Karen xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

11 hours ago, JCF said:

I do live in Amsterdam, but I think I was one of very few that night. 

Listened to it another 5 times now since my original post, really really starting to like this now. The song no longer feels too long now perhaps I was tired when I first listened to it. 

Still did not go back to it........Listening to SOI now........ ..

2nd listen here.

Listening to it right now and I can't say anything because the CROWD noise doesnt let you understand anything.

*Angry*

Waiting for the album to come out and Crystal Clear Sound....

I can hear some of the band but I can't hear Edge at all.....

With what I could hear it's worse than SOI....

Constructive Criticism ....

Not that I NEED a guitar-solo but there is no Edge...at least not on this version......and I have pretty good hearing.

Also I can't hear Bono very well....he seems tired and bored.....

All I DO LOVE is the rhythm section because that's what I CAN hear.....!!! Well done boys..... U2 rock (see what I did there).....

These are my 2 cents ....I aint got more......Please give me more money so I can buy SOE..

Here's a couple of cents...don't mean to bug ya.....

Love the Intro, but the 'live' schtick just kills the song for now, (it's like watching someone play a sports game on playstation with the canned crowd cheers....really odd effect to go for)

However: Very optimistic about the actual recorded version...Very excited about this record.

2 hours ago, razspazz said:

Love the Intro, but the 'live' schtick just kills the song for now, (it's like watching someone play a sports game on playstation with the canned crowd cheers....really odd effect to go for)

However: Very optimistic about the actual recorded version...Very excited about this record.

Raz...as always, well said, but did not know you were an Elevation and Vertigo fan !

2 hours ago, razspazz said:

Right !!!

I think it will grow on me....especially after the whole album comes out....

For example....I only started to love Invisible  just this year.....

Hmm... Well, I just gotta throw my 2 cents out there. 

Sometimes the songs I like the least at first, end up being the ones I like the most, so who knows? At this point, I feel like this is the type of song meant to be a "hit" to appeal to the masses. Part of the problem is the sound quality because I cannot really hear the lyrics very well. I'm not the type of person who often listens to music just because of the sound. (However, I do like some dubstep / electronic stuff! ;) ) Especially with U2, though, the words and meaning of the song are important to me and I'm not feeling it - at least not yet.

The album has got to be better than this track. That is all. I've listened a few times. It's a decent track, but in the ilk of 'no line......'

To quote Bono in his interview recently ' We've got to be good on this album..' or words to that effect...Yes, you do - I know you will. ;)

The lads are still rockin though. That in itself is a bonus we should all consider before critique - myself included.

The other day I only listened to it in the car and hadn't watched the video. Watched it for the first time this morning (and heard it for the second time), and I'm really liking it now. Walking around humming it. At this stage I reckon it's better than anything on SOI.

On 8/31/2017 at 2:28 AM, badsilver said:

Oh no! Prayers! I may have no one to go to Minneapolis or Indianapolis or St Louis with me...my brother may have to watch my dogs....if you find yourself in those cities in a few weeks...maybe you can have the other spot...hate it to go to waste

I have a ticket to New Orleans, so barring any other disastrous weather, I will be there. Thanks you for the offer and prayers. :)

On 8/30/2017 at 11:05 PM, U2LAWoman said:

Sounds like a good opener. It's always so strange hearing a song for the first time, it takes a few listens to feel the song and I have to read the lyrics to get the feel.

So sorry you are unable to make the Detroit show. Happy Birthday and praying for Houston and Texas.

Thank you! I'm loving the lyrics to this song. So fitting.

Cool, you're going to New Orleans!

The lyrics are fitting for these times! I totally get what U2 are saying here.