mich40

You're The Best Thing About Me (New Single)

My LEAST favorite U2 songs:
The Sweetest Thing
Beautiful Day
Vertigo
Elevation

Songs my 19-year-old niece likes by U2:
The Sweetest Thing
Beautiful Day
Vertigo
Elevation

I guess they'd rather try to appeal to my niece at this point? Sorry, just venting a little.

Well, to me, this sounds like a proper lead single for an album. (Keep in mind that "The Blackout" was a sneak peek for SOE; this song is the lead single.) When choosing such a song, you should go for a song that (you think and hope) will appeal to people who are not committed fans, as well as to a majority of your long-term fans (no one pleases everybody all the time). This song has that certain "wide-net appeal" that a good single has. I'm not a fan of what is called "ear-candy" (i.e., songs designed to be liked right away, but often fade just as quickly); this song is catchy and has aspects that I'm going to like even more with repeated listening.

With the songs we have heard from SOE so far, I am really digging Edge's guitar sound - quite unlike anything I've heard from him before. The closest analogue is his sound from AB (i.e., funky but with a hard edge - no pun intended), but this sound is unique from AB's - similar in a broad way, but different on each album. Also, Larry and Adam are definitely pulsating so far on this record - again the only comparison broadly is how they played on AB - but, as with the Edge's sound, it's a unique funkiness. I also have to say that Bono's voice is sounding nice and strong too. If these songs so far are meant to whet one's appetite for the album, at least in my case, they are succeeding. :)

• Upvote 1
  • Brilliant 1

6 minutes ago, allyson2008 said:

My LEAST favorite U2 songs:
The Sweetest Thing
Beautiful Day
Vertigo
Elevation

Songs my 19-year-old niece likes by U2:
The Sweetest Thing
Beautiful Day
Vertigo
Elevation

I guess they'd rather try to appeal to my niece at this point? Sorry, just venting a little.

I'm with you 100%, though the original Sweetest Thing is pretty good. 

if I'm up the shop what will I hear on the radio "it's a Beautiful Day don't let it get away..." even Bono said it has no hook :lol:

I guess I will always be a '90s U2 girl :Mirrorball:

...part 2...

I like Edge's backing (and co-) vocals very much - they complement Bono's singing quite well. I like the orchestral swirls too and how judiciously they are used (i.e., they are not overused, as bands in the past have often done).

Is it or will it be my favorite U2 song of all-time? No, of course not. However, for a lead single, this is a good one. IMHO, this will catch the ears of those who aren't committed fans and of some of those who are.

I think 'The Blackout' will be more indicative of the overall sound of SOE - I have to think that there's a reason they disseminated that one first, even making a special video for it live. Time will tell...

I have to say I'm very disappointed. It's been heard hundred times; it is boring.

I can only hope, but I'm not very optimistic, that it will grow on me...

• Upvote 1

I definitely think this is a single that is meant to appeal to non-traditional fans and be radio friendly to attract new ones and say that U2 can keep up with today's music. Which of course we know they can, but songs like this will help them, well, stay relevant, as Bono seems to want to do. But I hope they always remember how much of a fan base they have who will like most of what they release especially if it's "classic" U2 - ie., sounds like something off of JT or AB. I never really think of U2 as having one general sound - sure there's Edge's chiming guitar and the heavy rhythm from Larry and Adam, and Bono's very distinct voice but to me each album has a different "sound", a different sonic theme that makes them stand out from each other. For me, what they've been doing in the last decade has been slow to grow on me but the more I listen to the new stuff the more I like it. 

...part 3...

I just read on the main site that the girl on the cover is Morleigh and Edge's daughter, Sian. When I first saw it, I thought it was Morleigh! :D She does have her mother's looks.

OK - I need the release info for SOE. I want it now. :)

(...and the subsequent tour... ;)

It feels like the change of producers has yielded some great stuff like Blackout but then this song feels too light/overly commercial. I miss when Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois were at the helm of production because it felt more like that great sonic wall of sound that is U2. This doesn't mean that I want U2 to go back or to sound like their old stuff but I feel like they are trying to cater to a different crowd which is frustrating for longtime fans. I think more or less the thing that gets my blood boiling is when Ryan Tedder one of the producers from Songs of Innocence and for the new album said this: 

"As for their new album, I’ve already been working with them for a year. We’re roping in some really good remixes that are going to kick an entirely new door wide open for U2 fans. The world right now is listening to such different music that you can’t expect a 20-year-old to gravitate to a U2 record if it’s not put in the context of what they listen to today."

Just because you try to make a record more accessible and modern, doesn't mean that yields a good album but I still have some cautious optimism.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Guitar_Effects444 said:

It feels like the change of producers has yielded some great stuff like Blackout but then this song feels too light/overly commercial. I miss when Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois were at the helm of production because it felt more like that great sonic wall of sound that is U2. This doesn't mean that I want U2 to go back or to sound like their old stuff but I feel like they are trying to cater to a different crowd which is frustrating for longtime fans. I think more or less the thing that gets my blood boiling is when Ryan Tedder one of the producers from Songs of Innocence and for the new album said this: 

"As for their new album, I’ve already been working with them for a year. We’re roping in some really good remixes that are going to kick an entirely new door wide open for U2 fans. The world right now is listening to such different music that you can’t expect a 20-year-old to gravitate to a U2 record if it’s not put in the context of what they listen to today."

Just because you try to make a record more accessible and modern, doesn't mean that yields a good album but I still have some cautious optimism.

Yes, I mostly concur with what you are saying. Eno & Lanois have a special alchemy with the band - and when Steve Lillywhite is involved in the process as well...magic!

I think this song was meant to be a poppy single and nothing more. Despite its accessibility, I do think it is a good song. I wouldn't want an entire album of YTBTAM, but as a single it's good. I agree that Blackout is a much better track and I also think that will be much more like the rest of SOE.

On a different topic...part 4...

The cover for the single seems like a visual pun on the 'Best Of 1980-1990' cover, the picture of which was from the 'Boy' cover photo sessions. Here, we have 'Girl', as it were. (Of course, we have a single 'Boy/Girl' from them already, I wonder if they ever long ago toyed with the idea of entitling an album "Girl", i.e., as an indicator of a new stage in their career. Hmmm... Maybe this will be as close as it gets.)

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, dmway said:

Yes, I mostly concur with what you are saying. Eno & Lanois have a special alchemy with the band - and when Steve Lillywhite is involved in the process as well...magic!

I think this song was meant to be a poppy single and nothing more. Despite its accessibility, I do think it is a good song. I wouldn't want an entire album of YTBTAM, but as a single it's good. I agree that Blackout is a much better track and I also think that will be much more like the rest of SOE.

On a different topic...part 4...

The cover for the single seems like a visual pun on the 'Best Of 1980-1990' cover, the picture of which was from the 'Boy' cover photo sessions. Here, we have 'Girl', as it were. (Of course, we have a single 'Boy/Girl' from them already, I wonder if they ever long ago toyed with the idea of entitling an album "Girl", i.e., as an indicator of a new stage in their career. Hmmm... Maybe this will be as close as it gets.)

The girl on the cover is Edge's daughter, Sian. I like the helmet; it's a nice little throwback. Interesting that you noted the contrast between 'Boy' and 'Girl'. Works not just as a contrast between the new album and Boy, but also having a boy on the cover of SOI and a girl on the cover for the lead singe of SOE. Plus it ties nicely in the themes of the encore/third act of the Joshua Tree setlist.

I like it. Well produced and simple. I'll be humming it tomorrow. Cheered me up.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, peterferris8 said:

The girl on the cover is Edge's daughter, Sian. I like the helmet; it's a nice little throwback. Interesting that you noted the contrast between 'Boy' and 'Girl'. Works not just as a contrast between the new album and Boy, but also having a boy on the cover of SOI and a girl on the cover for the lead singe of SOE. Plus it ties nicely in the themes of the encore/third act of the Joshua Tree setlist.

Yes, I noticed that Sian looks so much like Morleigh in an earlier post. :)

Yes, the cover is a complement visually to SOI as well, as a song from SOE ought to be. Interesting as well that in the JT Anniversary setlist, we sometimes got "The Little Things That Give You Away" (another SOE) in the section that you rightly acknowledge had a feminine theme. It will be interesting to see/hear if SOE has a nod to the 'yin' in the lyrics, since U2 albums tend to have loose (if not explicit) themes in them.

I like the song, except the chorus.  Preferred Blackout.

Bono sounds so good,, his vocals always surprise me, he nails that falsetto

Best U2 song on the planet in my view, I'd rather hear this than Where the Streets Have No Name ever again ... yes seriously 10/10.

Can't wait to hear the new album😃

It's a bit of a grower for me...can't say I love it, but it's not bad. Any time new U2 music comes into the world, that's a good thing.

Now, The Blackout on the other hand....I loved that tune right from the first few notes. That vibe really has me excited and I hope the new album leans more toward that vein than Best Thing.

The second half of Little Things.....brilliant as well.  Lyrically, just as revealing as Mofo.

One other thing I thought was strange was that the way rolling stone was describing the lyrics made it seem like it was a sad song dealing with romantic dissatisfaction yet the song itself is upbeat. I'ts like they're trying to pull something off of the song One but that song actually had the right feel and tempo where with YTBTAM it just doesn't seem to fit but then again I could be interpreting that wrong. On the bright side I love how they have been better incorporating Adam's bass playing in the mix where the sounds and the riffs stick out. Same thing  for Blackout.

I'm not loving it. :(

Seems they're aiming for another Beautiful Day, another song I don't love. Beautiful Day was the kind of song U2 can make sleepwalking, but here they seem to be putting a lot of effort into music they can do on autopilot. A bit of a paradox if that makes sense. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It's a grower for me... The more I hear it the more I like it. Different sounds coming from U2 are always welcome. Looking forward to what else they have in store.

I've already voiced my opinion on the thought of Ryan Tedder being so heavily involved. I won't do it again. 

Really looking forward to the album! 

Side note, apparently there is a remix version of this? Where can we hear it? 

Why they did not release The Blackout, a much better song which still had the  potential for broad appeal, is a complete mystery to me. Honestly I love U2 but they just cant seem to get it right when it comes to selecting singles. Still looking forward to the album since The Blackout and Little Things are great songs.

"I'm the kind of trouble that you enjoy" favorite lyrics. I've been listening to the song all day. It has an honest and happy vibe and I can almost hear Bono's smiling  when he's singing.  It's a evolution of the next u2. I'm loving it..all the sounds!!!. It's a song to smile about and a sound you'd want to hear waking up to and even from a bad dream and to know everything's alright.

I remember Bono saying he wishes Christian music could be more honest and this is what is happening here. Happy it's another new song to enjoy and to mark the moment in time and to think there is more to come..!!! 

Edited by U2LAWoman
left out a lyric
  • Like 1