mich40

You're The Best Thing About Me (New Single)

I'm generally not a fan of overly repetitive lyrics. I think this is the issue I'm having with both songs. They're borderline a little too repetitive for me. It's an issue I have with some pop songs. 

Eh... they're going to be growers for me. I'll sit with them for a while & get to know them. 🤗🤘🏼

2 hours ago, Jackyr said:

Why they did not release The Blackout, a much better song which still had the  potential for broad appeal, is a complete mystery to me. Honestly I love U2 but they just cant seem to get it right when it comes to selecting singles. Still looking forward to the album since The Blackout and Little Things are great songs.

Possibly the same could be said about the singles released from the Joshua Tree.  With or Without You  was the first single and it was unlike anything else on the radio at the time.  A slow whispery song in a time when Stock-Aitken and Waterman were dominating the UK charts whilst across the Atlantic,  Whitney, Kim Wilde, Bon Jovi and Tiffany were right up there.  They followed this up with Still Haven't Found....just wow.    

For sure, the current single is appealing to the masses - but on the heels of the Joshua Tree tour I guess it is sensible to offer something fresher as an opening single to drive a wedge between the ongoing tour and the album to come. It could also be that  the double dip with Best Thing and Blackout is to reassure the longer term listeners there is more substance in the collection too.  These two most recent songs are very different and that keeps me interested because I think that U2 still does albums in two sides as opposed to just a collection of singles.  I am eager to see where this fits into the feel of the album and what other textures could be around it.  

You'r The Best Thing About Me. A brilliant song U2. I really love the song a lot.

But out of The Blackout, and You'r The Best Thing About Me, The Blackout is a lot better.

The Blackout has more of a faster and way out there sound. It also has a lot more bass guitar.

It's something that would have been great to have on the whole album for a change.

But You'r The Best Thing About Me, is still a brilliant song U2. I still love it a lot U2. Love you U2 Karen. :u2-1383: :wub: 

48 minutes ago, U2LAWoman said:

Hide contents

I didn't like the question of the caller. Don't know why she would ask a question like that..

:angry:Yet Bono is cool and has a sense of humor about such things!

http://kroq.cbslocal.com/2017/09/06/u2-youre-the-best-thing-about-me/

I heard this earlier. Bono has a sense of humor about him. I don't think he minded in the least. 

I love it but at the same time I am with those who think The Blackout is better. When I first heard The Blackout it had me tapping my foot and ready to hear it live/go crazy!!! Much more fun than Best Thing imo. 

I think it's ok after a couple of listens, I'll put my headphones on and give it a proper go and see. Have only been playing it on my phone so far. 

I'm crazy about the new song as I'm mostly depressed these days and I need something naive and positive for my burdened heart and that's what I'm getting.....

I love the lyrics, I love the music.... And Bono's singing makes me imagine him interpreting the song with a huge smile on his face !

The  best things are the little things.

THE  HARDEST thing to do is a simple thing..........

Edited by pain_18_
  • Like 1

IF I have to compare it to BlackOut......it's Miles better.....I really don't like BlackOut....listened to it twice and it made me feel down, sad, heavy-hearted, which U2 never makes me feel like.....Plus..I can't hear Bono and Edge on it.....so I guess it's just the rhythm section then?  That's NOT U2........

14 hours ago, dmway said:

...part 3...

I just read on the main site that the girl on the cover is Morleigh and Edge's daughter, Sian. When I first saw it, I thought it was Morleigh! :D She does have her mother's looks.

OK - I need the release info for SOE. I want it now. :)

(...and the subsequent tour... ;)

I can see she has some Edginess in her look too....

13 hours ago, Guitar_Effects444 said:

It feels like the change of producers has yielded some great stuff like Blackout but then this song feels too light/overly commercial. I miss when Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois were at the helm of production because it felt more like that great sonic wall of sound that is U2. This doesn't mean that I want U2 to go back or to sound like their old stuff but I feel like they are trying to cater to a different crowd which is frustrating for longtime fans. I think more or less the thing that gets my blood boiling is when Ryan Tedder one of the producers from Songs of Innocence and for the new album said this: 

"As for their new album, I’ve already been working with them for a year. We’re roping in some really good remixes that are going to kick an entirely new door wide open for U2 fans. The world right now is listening to such different music that you can’t expect a 20-year-old to gravitate to a U2 record if it’s not put in the context of what they listen to today."

Just because you try to make a record more accessible and modern, doesn't mean that yields a good album but I still have some cautious optimism.

No....Please don't remind me of this....I Hate Ryan Tedder.

12 hours ago, dmway said:

Yes, I mostly concur with what you are saying. Eno & Lanois have a special alchemy with the band - and when Steve Lillywhite is involved in the process as well...magic!

I think this song was meant to be a poppy single and nothing more. Despite its accessibility, I do think it is a good song. I wouldn't want an entire album of YTBTAM, but as a single it's good. I agree that Blackout is a much better track and I also think that will be much more like the rest of SOE.

On a different topic...part 4...

The cover for the single seems like a visual pun on the 'Best Of 1980-1990' cover, the picture of which was from the 'Boy' cover photo sessions. Here, we have 'Girl', as it were. (Of course, we have a single 'Boy/Girl' from them already, I wonder if they ever long ago toyed with the idea of entitling an album "Girl", i.e., as an indicator of a new stage in their career. Hmmm... Maybe this will be as close as it gets.)

Yes....It's because the girl is a boy's best experience..... " The BEst thing that ever happened a boy "

Edited by pain_18_

Who's singing the falsetto in the last 40 seconds of the song? It doesn't sound like either Bono or Edge....sounds like some sort of pro tools android.It's ruining the song for me!

22 hours ago, bigwave said:

I cant bring myself to listen...I have HURRICANE IRMA breathing down my back...I just took a few moments this morning to find some sort of normal bu when I look at this song, I just dont want to go there yet. THE BLACKOUT has new meaning for all us. First casualty was a surfer my son judges, very young 16 kiled in a photo shoot in Barbados. He surfed for HURLEY. All the surf moms went into overdrive to keep their kids away from the water...OK, I have to finish looking for my insurance and take pictures, book at a hotel room on the mainland. I am thinking Orlando, I have 2 dogs and a cat with me.  I have to start filling my bathtubs, they are cutting water to the barrier island over here ont he Space Coast. Orlando airport is closed as a 5pm Saturday. It is the ONE TIME I wish I had my own plane! Please pray for us.  I am in Melbourne Beach, Florida.

15 minutes ago, promenade95 said:

Who's singing the falsetto in the last 40 seconds of the song? It doesn't sound like either Bono or Edge....sounds like some sort of pro tools android.It's ruining the song for me!

It's Bono and the Edge............ Edge sings the bridge before the final refrain as well as all the backing vocals, including backing Bono on "Walking Away"....

It's interesting tho, how the worst hurricanes have women's names....This is to say....Don't get a woman angry or the world will crumble.... So be careful, men. Take care of your ladies ! :)

Edited by pain_18_

You're the Best thing about me is an excellent and exciting way to lead into the album. Really upbeat positive song that reinforces appreciation of seeing the good things in yourself and others and is an ideal cut for radio exposure

Yeah, I like it and it grows on me. But it isn't blowing me away either. It sounds like a decent upbeat album track rather than a punchy lead single.

However, it has more going on than in The Blackout. Better melody and chorus, more hooks, less one-dimensional and less...I don't know...clunky perhaps.

For me, though, Little Things is the best of the three new tunes I've heard so far.

29 minutes ago, zoocelt said:

Yeah, I like it and it grows on me. But it isn't blowing me away either. It sounds like a decent upbeat album track rather than a punchy lead single.

However, it has more going on than in The Blackout. Better melody and chorus, more hooks, less one-dimensional and less...I don't know...clunky perhaps.

For me, though, Little Things is the best of the three new tunes I've heard so far.

SAME here. although I really loved YTBTAM from the first listen, it grows even deeper.....

Little things is Best, indeed.....

BlackOut?  I hope it's a B-Side.

Edited by pain_18_
  • Like 1

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/06/arts/music/u2-songs-of-experience-interview

What I don't like is that Bono's putting even more politics into it when I want less.....I prefer it to be about an aging rock star than about democracy, ............Eeeeh....

And Bono wants the "system" to rule the world? Oh GOD no. !

Edited by pain_18_

I 'Liked' The Blackout, but seriously hate the 'live' treatment. Looking forward to a studio version though. (please tell me there won't be moar 'live' songs lolol).

I love LOVE this song (Best Thing) from the 2 minute mark.

I like the intro verses, some good sounds there, (Bass Guitar!! Drums!!, and I like this crystal sparkly production...best recorded cymbals i think I've ever heard?) but it really takes off for me in the 2nd half. The Little Things is like that too. I like this songwriting...starts as one thing and ends up somewhere else. Traditionally my favorite songs are the deeper cuts (I'm looking at YOU Eco!!), so I'm really looking forward to the album now.

enjoyment of U2's records seem to be based on where you are at, and how the songs fit your experience (for want of a better word) and for me, here and now,  this song hits a mark.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Guitar_Effects444 said:

The world right now is listening to such different music that you can’t expect a 20-year-old to gravitate to a U2 record if it’s not put in the context of what they listen to today."

You mean like all the kids who got the last album for free and didn't know who U2 were?

Here's a thought; how about U2 make the music that excites them, have their loyal fanbase either lap it up or dislike it, and if they pick up new fans with the album great if not it'll still sell 10's of millions. You know, like they did with The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby.

• Like 1