mich40

You're The Best Thing About Me (New Single)

24 minutes ago, Grande 3:16 said:

You mean like all the kids who got the last album for free and didn't know who U2 were?

Here's a thought; how about U2 make the music that excites them, have their loyal fanbase either lap it up or dislike it, and if they pick up new fans with the album great if not it'll still sell 10's of millions. You know, like they did with The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby.

This ^  is the best thing about the comment section.....

Edited by pain_18_

I totally agree with Grande above but maybe U2 don't have it in them to make another groundbreaking record.........I'm not saying a repeat of TJT, AB,  Zooropa or POP....

However, I'm taking it for what it is....

It doesn't help me being angry and really....new music from U2 makes my life better right now.........Sincerely.

This being said....Shove me more humor, more not-taking-yourself-seriously and pangloss and I'm happy !!!!

I don't want serious stuff,......Serious stuff has brought me to depression....

I want to return to how I started off LIFE like: goofing off and being silly !!!!!

Edited by pain_18_

Joy indeed. Personally love it. 

By the way, anyone know what happened to the ordinary chorus? I'm thinking maybe my singing broke it 😉

Waiting for SOE... ! 

14 hours ago, brendo1704 said:

Possibly the same could be said about the singles released from the Joshua Tree.  With or Without You  was the first single and it was unlike anything else on the radio at the time.  A slow whispery song in a time when Stock-Aitken and Waterman were dominating the UK charts whilst across the Atlantic,  Whitney, Kim Wilde, Bon Jovi and Tiffany were right up there.  They followed this up with Still Haven't Found....just wow.    

For sure, the current single is appealing to the masses - but on the heels of the Joshua Tree tour I guess it is sensible to offer something fresher as an opening single to drive a wedge between the ongoing tour and the album to come. It could also be that  the double dip with Best Thing and Blackout is to reassure the longer term listeners there is more substance in the collection too.  These two most recent songs are very different and that keeps me interested because I think that U2 still does albums in two sides as opposed to just a collection of singles.  I am eager to see where this fits into the feel of the album and what other textures could be around it.  

I like the way you put it & agree that they're trying to show us the album will be diverse with the release of both songs. 

21 hours ago, mich40 said:

Whaoh. Great clip Mich, thanks for sharing.

Back to the track and on a separate note, I'm just loving the first few bars of Edges guitar chords on this. Subtle variances on the common chords to deliver something unique. It's what U2 do best. Just listen. It's great actually.

Hoping the soon to be release album is indeed "the best thing" U2 have created. It's been long in the making.

Whilst I have created a positive spin, this is also a career defining album for U2. If it is not an "epic" album, I can't see them being able to come back and release anything better. 

If they can't this time around topple the Joshua Tree or give birth to another AB, there isn't much evidence to date that they ever will.

And perhaps as fans we are happy with whatever they release. And to be honest that's fine. The question is...is that fine for U2?

Edited by Amrit

5 hours ago, mich40 said:

I want to go for a pint with THAT guy. Oh, hang on....I don't. :)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Amrit said:

Hoping the soon to be release album is indeed "the best thing" U2 have created. It's been long in the making.

Whilst I have created a positive spin, this is also a career defining album for U2. If it is not an "epic" album, I can't see them being able to come back and release anything better. 

If they can't this time around topple the Joshua Tree or give birth to another AB, there isn't much evidence to date that they ever will.

And perhaps as fans we are happy with whatever they release. And to be honest that's fine. The question is...is that fine for U2?

I hated Pop when it was released.  I thought it was junk.  I hated the glitterball lemon and I hated the plastic-ness of it all.   In fact, it was not until I saw a few songs live when I was lucky enough to catch the Elevation tour while living in the UK I went "woah". Now it ranks right up there as a favourite album 20 years after its release.  Music is so personal and I would suggest that for a band of any longevity consistently create that wow factor with its entire audience for any length of time is well near impossible (let alone over a career of 40 years).  I don't understand the pressure for bands (not just U2) to outdo their old albums - music is meant to be fun, but it is also about time and space.  With technology and personalised electronic gadgets, we are exposed to more new music in different ways than ever before, so outdoing what happened years ago even from this perspective is impossible because music is even listened to differently now. I remember the anticipation of the new releases, queuing up to get records only to find they had been sold out, calling friends (on a cord phone! when I got home!!) to tell them I managed to get two copies.  Part of the success and epicness of the album was tied up in the experience of getting to the music as well as the music itself.  

Just some thoughts. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Max Tsukino said:

From The Jimmy Fallon Show:

WOW...it's on Vinyl  !!!!!!!

I listened to the song a bunch and thought "eh", doesn't stir me like The Blackout, but then watching it on Jimmy Fallon definitely improved it.  I like Bono's lyrics on this song. I love it when he's clearly self-referential, ("shooting off my mouth")  and wow that's quite a confession, to have everything and feel like nothing.  I like the groove and melody of the verses.  I don't love the melody of the chorus. I LOVE hearing Edge sing, and seeing him sing on stage!  That's the best thing about the song for me!    Oh, and thank you Bono for getting rid of the blond, and growing your hair out a bit again!  :-P  

I have to say hearing/seeing them play it live, the song is better that way. best thing about the song for me is Edge singing :MrTheEdge:

for me, the verses are stronger than the chorus.

Edited by BigBunny
speeling misteak

21 minutes ago, sazshackle said:

really good performance, watched in my lunch break :) don't you love how excited Jimmy Fallon gets :)

He's like one of us when it comes to them. 

merely for having the full musical performance (also... because it was that GOOD and it's kind of important right now) ---> Bullet the Blue Sky...

• Thanks 1

On 6.9.2017 at 7:12 PM, Vienis said:

The verse from about 3 minutes? Indeed, that might be The Edge and even the lyrics would make sense in that sense :)

Based on the fallon show... the edge. Great!

51 minutes ago, Max Tsukino said:

merely for having the full musical performance (also... because it was that GOOD and it's kind of important right now) ---> Bullet the Blue Sky...

Ahhh...there we go! :)

Thank you for posting this!