Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mich40

You're The Best Thing About Me (New Single)

Ha!!! Ya obviously got the whole volcano thing going on, BUT wonder how people will feel about the BOOTS drumming and guitar sound!! enjoy kids 

20 hours ago, B!gGiRL said:

I like this happy tune!

I love it too. I want to meet and marry a man who will sing it for me, and I want to really be the best thing about that man.

7 hours ago, smsully said:

This has got to be some kind of joke.  U2's punkin their fan base! 

I have a theory that "You're the Best Thing About Me" is more popular with the girls in U2's fanbase than with the guys (except perhaps the lucky guys who have girls they can sing and play it to). Girls tend to prefer softer songs, and many of us long for lovely guys who will sing the same thing for us (or dance it or paint it or bake it, depending on his talents) and lovely guys for whom we can be the best thing. Or maybe my theory's a bunch of bunk and I'm just weird and like yet another unpopular U2 song (I may be the only person in the world who likes "Get On Your Boots", but anyone out there in the world is welcome to prove me wrong)

LOL...yeah, I dig Get On Your Boots too! Not in the least because of the smartly layered lyrics, as "boots"
may also refer to "bootlegs"...as in fan made audience recordings of their live concerts :lol:

But although I don't want to make general assumptions, I guess that for a lot of "girls" it's more easy to listen
to a song as been sung to. At least speaking for myself, I easily "accept" the "you" perspective in a song.

In all my years as a fan club member I've posted only a handful of times but having now heard 5 of the new songs from SofE I feel compelled to post something.

These songs are bloody awful. Lyrically poor, musically bereft of originality and now recycling their own songs. And not even the good ones. Jesus!

The songs are shiny, glossy but totally vacuous. Just garbage. 

This band that I love that has given me so many moments of joy is stuck in a creative cul de sac. When I think of unreleased songs like Mercy, North Star, Boy Falls From The Sky all of which are better than the dross served up for the new record, I just think back to comments made by the band about the world changing and the band pausing for breath to take account of this. One thing has changed its, you've forgotten how to write bloody songs. Instead of chasing relevance, chasing the hits, using the hippest producers, stop second guessing, stop taking years and years over things and simply stick to what you do best. Good songs, well sung. The Joshua Tree at 30 tour now strikes me a cynical coffers swelling exercise. Nothing more. 

I would normally have ordered the deluxe version of SofE in a heartbeat. Suffice to say, as things stand, I can't see me buying the standard CD. 

U2 need to go away and dream it all up again because this stuff doesn't cut it. 

Very, very gutted. Maybe the other tracks will be worth hearing and paper over the cracks. Time will tell. 

i like the best thing,it's a catchy song but i think i like get out of your own way more...love the rocking sound of the Blackout though!well...cannot wait to hear them all,so i'm ready for what's next!!!! #SOE tour

Oh it will be a great song...the new video that was done not by U2 is BRILLIANT. Showing all the different folks stepping up for the ones they love or becoming a better person for their own self. The video assumes just as most do, its dark and strange lives, when reality is they are great folks. She achieved something in her art of visual dynamics that U2 could not. I actually played it yesterday for my little miracle granddaughter, Scarlett, and what a smile she has at just two months. Her Daddy is my son that fought the greatest War I ever saw a human fight. No hope with his cancer 480 plus hours of the strongest chemo given and noone can explain how Scarlett could have been conceived naturally on Christmas Day which fell on the same day as Hanukkah in 2016. She is my 9/11 miracle born during the height of Hurricane Irma here in Florida. SHE IS THE BEST THING ABOUT ME---A gift from the Lord himself.  This song will evolve much more as it is played live...Bono and the Edge have a way of doing that and that is why U2 is such a great live band. I feel blessed I got to see them before they were big stars, as I told my Dad hey I went to this concert and there was 4 boys from Ireland. I think they will do great things, something very special about them. That was the War concert in Orlando Florida where The Alarm opened for them. I would say they stood the test of time and Dublin has been a recipient of it all...GOOD JOB 4 BOYS FROM IRELAND OH AND THANK YOU FOR THE SONG SCARLET (REJOICE) MY SCARLETT LOVED THAT SONG AS WELL AS I PUT HER DOWN FOR HER NAP. U2 =they wrote the music to the soundtrack of our lives. Thanks again, the best things are just all of us.

54 minutes ago, wahine said:

Oh it will be a great song...the new video that was done not by U2 is BRILLIANT. Showing all the different folks stepping up for the ones they love or becoming a better person for their own self. The video assumes just as most do, its dark and strange lives, when reality is they are great folks. She achieved something in her art of visual dynamics that U2 could not. I actually played it yesterday for my little miracle granddaughter, Scarlett, and what a smile she has at just two months. Her Daddy is my son that fought the greatest War I ever saw a human fight. No hope with his cancer 480 plus hours of the strongest chemo given and noone can explain how Scarlett could have been conceived naturally on Christmas Day which fell on the same day as Hanukkah in 2016. She is my 9/11 miracle born during the height of Hurricane Irma here in Florida. SHE IS THE BEST THING ABOUT ME---A gift from the Lord himself.  This song will evolve much more as it is played live...Bono and the Edge have a way of doing that and that is why U2 is such a great live band. I feel blessed I got to see them before they were big stars, as I told my Dad hey I went to this concert and there was 4 boys from Ireland. I think they will do great things, something very special about them. That was the War concert in Orlando Florida where The Alarm opened for them. I would say they stood the test of time and Dublin has been a recipient of it all...GOOD JOB 4 BOYS FROM IRELAND OH AND THANK YOU FOR THE SONG SCARLET (REJOICE) MY SCARLETT LOVED THAT SONG AS WELL AS I PUT HER DOWN FOR HER NAP. U2 =they wrote the music to the soundtrack of our lives. Thanks again, the best things are just all of us.

That's beautiful and wonderful. God Bless you and your family (and the 4 boys from Ireland.)

8 hours ago, B!gGiRL said:

LOL...yeah, I dig Get On Your Boots too! Not in the least because of the smartly layered lyrics, as "boots"
may also refer to "bootlegs"...as in fan made audience recordings of their live concerts :lol:

But although I don't want to make general assumptions, I guess that for a lot of "girls" it's more easy to listen
to a song as been sung to. At least speaking for myself, I easily "accept" the "you" perspective in a song.

I accept that perspective too, and I've found the best loves songs are the most meaningful ones. Songs written for real girls, or at least about deep, lasting love from flirting to dating to engagement to marriage. For example, Sting has several loves songs that don't stop at the dating stage but sing of marriage and a lifetime of love ("Straight to my Heart" "When We Dance"). Also, "You're the Best Thing About Me" works so well because Bono really means it, and Ali really is the best thing about him. That song comes from a lifetime of love, 35 years of marriage and several preceding years of friendship and courtship.

I've also never understood the animus to "Get on Your Boots." People seem to have thought it was too silly or didn't belong on No Line on the Horizon, but I think it did belong precisely because of its silly light-heartedness; it's U2's equivalent of "Day Tripper" (unserious and unsophisticated, but so darn catchy you can't resist) and it's much-needed comic relief right in the middle of an album full of serious songs (and that's not a criticism of the rest of the album, NLOTH is a very close second favorite to Achtung Baby!).

Dang, U2's 3 new songs are as controversial as Taylor Swift's 3 new songs. I'm on the side that likes all 6 of these new songs.

23 hours ago, carritt said:

In all my years as a fan club member I've posted only a handful of times but having now heard 5 of the new songs from SofE I feel compelled to post something.

These songs are bloody awful. Lyrically poor, musically bereft of originality and now recycling their own songs. And not even the good ones. Jesus!

This band that I love that has given me so many moments of joy is stuck in a creative cul de sac. When I think of unreleased songs like Mercy, North Star, Boy Falls From The Sky all of which are better than the dross served up for the new record, I just think back to comments made by the band about the world changing and the band pausing for breath to take account of this. One thing has changed its, you've forgotten how to write bloody songs. Instead of chasing relevance, chasing the hits, using the hippest producers, stop second guessing, stop taking years and years over things and simply stick to what you do best. Good songs, well sung. The Joshua Tree at 30 tour now strikes me a cynical coffers swelling exercise. Nothing more. 

I would normally have ordered the deluxe version of SofE in a heartbeat. Suffice to say, as things stand, I can't see me buying the standard CD. 

Very, very gutted. Maybe the other tracks will be worth hearing and paper over the cracks. Time will tell. 

Sorry just cannot agree about the JT at 30 tour, it was fantastic to see the album played live 30 years on and it will live in my memories forever. With regards the new music it is what U2 have always done enveloping the music of the era and without doubt they are looking to bringing on new younger fans but the songs I have heard so far have all been growers, except GOYOW which is a very catchy song straight off. 

They will never recapture the JT / AB eras as they were from those times and music is very different now but I don’t have an issue with that. I have never loved every song on any one album but equally U2 are the sound track of my life and always will be. To not buy the album is your choice but I can’t understand why you wouldn’t, the songs are certainly not that bad. 

3 hours ago, KEV ANGELL said:

Sorry just cannot agree about the JT at 30 tour, it was fantastic to see the album played live 30 years on and it will live in my memories forever. With regards the new music it is what U2 have always done enveloping the music of the era and without doubt they are looking to bringing on new younger fans but the songs I have heard so far have all been growers, except GOYOW which is a very catchy song straight off. 

They will never recapture the JT / AB eras as they were from those times and music is very different now but I don’t have an issue with that. I have never loved every song on any one album but equally U2 are the sound track of my life and always will be. To not buy the album is your choice but I can’t understand why you wouldn’t, the songs are certainly not that bad. 

Amen, Mr. Angell, I wanted to make it to a JT at 30 concert, which didn't work out, but I will get to go to an I and E one, where I will get to hear new and old songs, and I look forward to them all.

2 minutes ago, Europa_Thomas said:

Amen, Mr. Angell, I wanted to make it to a JT at 30 concert, which didn't work out, but I will get to go to an I and E one, where I will get to hear new and old songs, and I look forward to them all.

I am one of those younger (though not entirely new) fans.

The new songs are growing on me. I’ve started listening to them while I jog, puts a little pep in my step ;). I think my favorite so far is ‘Get Out of Your Own Way.” 

When it comes to U2 I’ve learned you can’t compare new stuff to what’s come before. I try to appreciate each new album for what it is on it’s own. 

That said, I’m thinking some of them will be better live. ?

On 11/18/2017 at 12:41 PM, Europa_Thomas said:

I've also never understood the animus to "Get on Your Boots." People seem to have thought it was too silly or didn't belong on No Line on the Horizon, but I think it did belong precisely because of its silly light-heartedness; it's U2's equivalent of "Day Tripper" (unserious and unsophisticated, but so darn catchy you can't resist) and it's much-needed comic relief right in the middle of an album full of serious songs (and that's not a criticism of the rest of the album, NLOTH is a very close second favorite to Achtung Baby!).

Well, you're not alone in not understanding many people's undervaluing "Get On Your Boots". It was clearly the best song to have as the lead single for NLOTH - people may have ended up preferring a song like "Magnificent", but that wouldn't have been as impressive a lead single (in that it sounds more like what people would expect U2 to sound like; GOYB broke new sonic ground for them). I also very highly rate NLOTH in general - I just don't get the dislike for that album. IMHO, it's the closest thing to a new millennium 'The Unforgettable Fire' (less a single like "Pride") - i.e., it was a release that went against what people were expecting, compared to the albums that came out immediately before it.

To go back on topic, "You're The Best Thing About Me" is a fine single. One thing a band would want in a single (among many things) is for the tune to stick in the listeners' heads long after they stop hearing it - well, at least in my case, I find myself humming the tune of YTBTAM quite often. A joyful little ditty. :)

Now, I would be very disappointed if SoE were chock-full of songs like YTBTAM - I'm hoping to hear songs more like "The Blackout" (I have intentionally not listened to any more songs from the album because I want the initial listen to be as much of a surprise as possible; that's also why I won't listen to the song coming out tomorrow...well...at least until Dec. 1 ;)

I hope the new album rocks a bit more - they haven't released an overall rocker since HTDAAB (and, if you are even stricter, since 'Pop'). I really, really like the last two albums, but I wouldn't want a third with a similar vibe. Here's hoping! Of course, all their songs sound better live, so, regardless of what I end up thinking about SoE, I'm looking forward to the shows.

Finally, I concur - AB is the best! I will probably always think that. :)

To be clear, I saw U2 at Twickenham and the album, apart from a neutered, Red Hill Mining Town was fantastically played. The encore was a bit misplaced for me but overall it was excellent.

What I fail to understand is all this talk of delaying the album because of changes in the political landscape and writing new songs to reflect that. The inference being U2 are fired up and that would be reflected in the material. Perhaps we haven't heard those songs yet. 

I'm not asking U2 to be the same band they were in their 20s or 30s but I do feel it's important to give a true opinion of how I feel about the new material and what ive heard does not grip me. It feels rehashed musically and lyrically weak.  

And for me you stay relevant by writing bloody good songs. If you do that you do not need to pander to a particular demographic. 

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 9:50 AM, carritt said:

I'm being pulled in that direction too, reluctantly, holding on to amazingly wonderful past music and memories...hoping that the rest of the disk keeps me from falling off the edge. I'm really surprised at what I have heard so far......eeeke.

On 9/6/2017 at 11:02 AM, jonpleased said:

Love it! I think it's definitely a grower too.

Loving this quote from Bono in the New York Times interview...............'Using Joy as an act of defiance'

The world needs joy right now <3 

PS My Mum is called Joy too, so may be biased.

My mum is called JOY too!!!   You guys might like this book I wrote with lots of storylines about your hero (s) ~  

You might all like this with a storyline about your favourite band! ~ ~extract from the book Mermaid In The Kitchen ~ 
.... *Bono is a patient, kind and tolerant man, loved by many. I think he is also misunderstood by many too. When I first arrived in Dublin, he talked to me about how he felt misunderstood, even mocked in his own country; and I could tell it weighed heavy on his heart. I loved theease between us with these early conversations. To be honest Bono helped me settle into Dublin. He energetically felt like my home from home. He was the one very warm and welcoming person, who actively supported me at a deeper level. If not for his grace and kindness I would not have stayed. Truth is I was away from home in a foreign land, even if family were only a quick jaunt back across the Irish Sea......*
[Mod Edit: No links to sell things allowed]

On 11/26/2017 at 12:20 PM, sarah_hurding said:

My mum is called JOY too!!!   You guys might like this book I wrote with lots of storylines about your hero (s) ~  

You might all like this with a storyline about your favourite band! ~ ~extract from the book Mermaid In The Kitchen ~ 
.... *Bono is a patient, kind and tolerant man, loved by many. I think he is also misunderstood by many too. When I first arrived in Dublin, he talked to me about how he felt misunderstood, even mocked in his own country; and I could tell it weighed heavy on his heart. I loved theease between us with these early conversations. To be honest Bono helped me settle into Dublin. He energetically felt like my home from home. He was the one very warm and welcoming person, who actively supported me at a deeper level. If not for his grace and kindness I would not have stayed. Truth is I was away from home in a foreign land, even if family were only a quick jaunt back across the Irish Sea......*
[Mod Edit: No links to sell things allowed]

? Cool!

So far so good for me. I'm waiting for my copy for a proper ? listen. 

crop.img_ef784fe94d4956ec5efac798831fc713.png
Cd U2 Songs Of Experience deluxe - PRÉ-COMMANDE
19,99 €
Quantité : 1
En cours de traitement
Précommande. Livraison le 06-12-2017
je suis déçue de recevoir cette pré commande Universal une semaine après la sortie officielle ! Ceci n’est pas normal.