U2Community

Tonight's St. Louis Show Cancelled

Due to schedule conflicts, I am not able to attend the concert in San Diego. It broke my heart not to be able to see U2 in my hometown (like I did 30 years ago). My husband saw how devastated I was so he booked a flight and rooms in St. Louis and told me in May to get the tickets!!  I was over the moon with excitement of actually seeing U2 in concert, in a city I've never been, and with my husband.  To find out that morning that the concert was cancelled was a huge blow.  We were stuck in a city where most of the businesses were closed due to protests, it was 90 degrees and humid, and all I wanted to do was go home and cry!  While we were refunded for the concert tickets, we wasted a lot of time and money on flights and hotels in a city that didn't want our patronage!!!  I hope someday I will get the chance to see U2 again.......

Scare Pig steps of St. Louis.jpg

Just now, nenit_wills said:

Due to schedule conflicts, I am not able to attend the concert in San Diego. It broke my heart not to be able to see U2 in my hometown (like I did 30 years ago). My husband saw how devastated I was so he booked a flight and rooms in St. Louis and told me in May to get the tickets!!  I was over the moon with excitement of actually seeing U2 in concert, in a city I've never been, and with my husband.  To find out that morning that the concert was cancelled was a huge blow.  We were stuck in a city where most of the businesses were closed due to protests, it was 90 degrees and humid, and all I wanted to do was go home and cry!  While we were refunded for the concert tickets, we wasted a lot of time and money on flights and hotels in a city that didn't want our patronage!!!  I hope someday I will get the chance to see U2 again.......

Scare Pig steps of St. Louis.jpg

Sitting on the steps under the Arch trying to explain to this little Scare Pig that we will not be seeing U2 as planned

• Sad 1

Live in STL. And though I completely understand both the cancellation and the rights of the protesters; it was kind of an ordeal getting to see this show. I had tickets to Louisville, but could not attend because of family issue; so was thrilled when STL was added to the schedule. Have been waiting 30 years to see this; was 17 when the first tour occurred and did not get to see it. Understand if there will not be another STL show, but would it be possible to schedule one more show somewhere in the Midwest? Chicago again; Kansas City; Louisville; Cincinnati.......?  But as others have mentioned; what a wonderful opportunity for the band to bring some light into this city that is struggling so much. 

• Upvote 1

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 6:50 PM, kevin_hogan said:

I feel sad today.  I feel bad for the local St Louis fans, for the fans who traveled a long distance and especially those fans attending their first U2 concert (I attended my first U2 concert this year).  If anyone traveled from hurricane affecting areas I feel bad for you.  U2 transcends politics and their music allows us to find common ground, whether we are left, right or independent.  I'm looking forward to the San Diego show and thanks for allowing me express myself.  Stay safe St Louis. 

Rode out Irma in Saint Mary's GA.  Many houses flooded but fortunately mine was spared.  Many friends watched as the water took away what they treasured ... their dreams.  Went 3 days with no power but when power came back on, washed our clothes and headed to StL for the concert.  Verdict announced as we were arriving into city.  Hotel and city was guarded by National Guard. 

StL WAS my home town.  I grew up in StL.  Lived in Ferguson during my high school years ....  wanted to relax and enjoy U2 in my home town .... StL is no longer the great city I grew up in ... StL is no longer my home .... I will no longer call it my home.  Stl is dead to me .... 

On September 16, 2017 at 11:04 PM, MoJoanne said:

Heartbroken. My husband and I were going to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary with this concert. I understand why it was cancelled, but it is a shame that criminal malcontents have to ruin a enjoyable evening for tens of thousands of U2 fans.

I'm right there with you, MoJoanne.  I bought, for the first time ever in my life, a pair of VIP tix for our 20th wedding anniversary.  

I knew what was happening in STL... and since we were traveling from the Milwaukee, WI area, I checked my email to make sure things were still 'a go'.  At 7:54 am Saturday morning I see a message from Ticketmaster:  "We want to ensure you have a great time at U2 and are clear about how to best get IN! Have fun!"

A 6 hour drive later... We checked our email when we reached the hotel, only to see this message that was delivered at 9:20 am:  "Hello VIPs, Live Nation and U2 regrettably announce their St. Louis show scheduled for tonight, September 16, 2017 has been cancelled."  Wow... so close but I guess it wasn't meant to be. 

My sincere respect to those that made this decision.  I just feel like I missed out on a wonderful experience.

Quick comment, I agree no one should be shot down in their car.   But, why does everyone forget, he ran from the police "Why?"  Let's say he was a heroin dealer, think about all of the people or children that die from heroin in this country!  Who is protecting them, who is protesting for them!  

As he sped away from the police at 80 mph.  How many people did he put at risk.  Innocent people were put into danger.  If a family got hurt or killed by this chase, I doubt if you would see thousands of people protesting about their lives and death.

My father taught me and I have taught my son, if you get pulled over obey the police, do what they ask you to do.  If you have nothing to hide, aren't a smart ass to authority or have a chip on your shoulder like you are entitled for everything, you will avoid conflict and eliminate your risk of being hurt.  I can tell you I have been pulled over before, ask for driver license and insurance etc.  I didn't mouth off, I didn't get out the car and run, I didn't speed away. And nothing happened, I got a speeding ticket, which I deserved.  

Whatever color you might be it doesn't matter!  If you break the law!!!!!!  That is your choice!!!!!!   Once YOU cross the line and do this, YOU put yourself at risk to be hurt or god forbid killed.........This country needs to wake up, protect and protest for people that are lawful do the right thing.  VS.  others that are criminals.

My wife, son and I were going to the concert in St.Louis, it was his first concert.   It is too bad that one man made a CHOICE to run for HIS crimes.  AND 40,000 hard working citizens, law abiding people get taken for granted,   U2 fans should have protested for people that "CHOOSE NOT TO BREAK THE LAW"!   

Also, if people don't understand - The tax payer "YOU & ME" are paying for all these protests and riots!  Police protection, national guard etc.  "WAKE UP AMERICA"

Would have really enjoyed that concert with my family!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Brilliant 1

What I cannot understand is why the people "protesting" had to get violent and destroy the property of people who are completely unrelated to this whole situation. I understand peaceful protests, but not the violence.

4 years ago, I found my biological half sister, and we were planning to go to the U2 show together. I drove up from Dallas (10 hours away) to her home in Missouri. It was supposed to be a really special thing - getting to share a U2 show with my sister... but violent people had to ruin that opportunity for us.

There were so many people who came from far away to attend the show in St. Louis. It upsets me that the show has just been completely cancelled - rather than rescheduled. We don't deserve that just because a small percentage of people behaved badly.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, satsignal said:

St. Louis needed this show. U2 have played in war zones before it could've been an Epic night. 

I'm sure the band wanted to play - this was a LiveNation decision.