U2Community

Tonight's St. Louis Show Cancelled

26 minutes ago, onlyluv said:

Please reschedule

Yes, please! I drove all the way up from Dallas for this show... but I'll come back!

• Like 2

I'm feeling so sad for everyone who will now miss out, but I can very well understand the cancellation. I do hope they'll be able to reschedule somehow ...

Not complaining totally but I missed Indy because someone hits us on the Interstate and now this...glad I canceled the rental car and hotel in time. Sad for those already there - and who were going to see them for the first time. Maybe they could send ticket holders a bootleg DVD of a JT show? Hint hint. Keep reminding people it isn't a U2 decision per se - more a math problem. Needs security that would have worked the show on the streets later - and with businesses closed if the goal of the protestors is to disrupt - even peacefully - they would certainly head to the Dome.

Edited by badsilver
Wordy

It's the right decision, although I am sympathetic to the people who traveled from out of town to St. Louis.

The protests and the reason people are protesting right now in St. Louis is far more important than a concert. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, POP_Muzik said:

The protests and the reason people are protesting right now in St. Louis is far more important than a concert. 

I agree that the concert needed to be cancelled due to lack of sufficient security.  As for the second part of the post, the victim was dealing heroin.  He led the police on a high speed chase (80-90 mph) on city streets.  He rammed the police car multiple times.  He was shot when reaching for his gun.  Other shootings might be reason for protests, but I don't see it in this case.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, beaveman said:

I agree that the concert needed to be cancelled due to lack of sufficient security.  As for the second part of the post, the victim was dealing heroin.  He led the police on a high speed chase (80-90 mph) on city streets.  He rammed the police car multiple times.  He was shot when reaching for his gun.  Other shootings might be reason for protests, but I don't see it in this case.

The victim was ALLEGEDLY dealing heroin.  The victim had a gun planted on him by the indicted officer.  The indicted officer said "i'm going to kill this motherfucker" before approaching Anthony Lamar Smith's vehicle or seeing this imaginary weapon.  The indicted officer was carrying and used a weapon that he was not authorized to have on duty.  No officer is empowered to be judge, jury, & executioner.  No human deserves to be shot in the street this way.  #blacklivesmatter  #anthonylamarsmith  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Had tickets to the show tonight and am extremely disappointed but in my heart feel this was the right decision.  Was hoping the show would be rescheduled but it doesn't appear that will be the case.  Regarding my city of St. Louis, I can agree with peaceful protesters but those that just want to be violent and destructive, I will never understand how destroying your city helps bring resolution to any situation..  Praying for peace.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, mksiggy75 said:

The victim was ALLEGEDLY dealing heroin.  The victim had a gun planted on him by the indicted officer.  The indicted officer said "i'm going to kill this motherfucker" before approaching Anthony Lamar Smith's vehicle or seeing this imaginary weapon.  The indicted officer was carrying and used a weapon that he was not authorized to have on duty.  No officer is empowered to be judge, jury, & executioner.  No human deserves to be shot in the street this way.  #blacklivesmatter  #anthonylamarsmith  

Yes, thank you for posting the facts. The gun planted also only had the cop's fingerprints on it. He killed Lamar Smith 6 inches away from him, and shot him 5 times.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Very sad news, two friends traveled from Dallas very early in the morning, they are very disappointed, they say that literally nothing is happening, they are there in St. Louis and they don´t see any protest.

I feel sad today.  I feel bad for the local St Louis fans, for the fans who traveled a long distance and especially those fans attending their first U2 concert (I attended my first U2 concert this year).  If anyone traveled from hurricane affecting areas I feel bad for you.  U2 transcends politics and their music allows us to find common ground, whether we are left, right or independent.  I'm looking forward to the San Diego show and thanks for allowing me express myself.  Stay safe St Louis. 

Of course, one can't take risks with safety precautions on an event of such scale - especially when the world is in such a shape... I understand the band just followed the security recommendations provided by promoter who based the decisions on the information from police force and the venue. Still pissed by the fact they had to cancel just when the worst part was already over... It could have been pretty scary on Friday, but flew in to St Louis this morning, was walking around the downtown for hours - haven't seen the slightest sign of riots or protests so far. No blocked roads, no enhanced police presence, no broken windows - nothing of sorts. City life looks completely back to normal. Went up the Arch, visited the Old Courthouse (which was one of scenes of protest yesterday) - it's business as usual. For me as an outsider, city looks completely peaceful, even lazy. Checked the news about the protesters blocking West County Center Mall, but apparently it was entirely peaceful demonstration. Even so, it was on the outskirts of the city, 15 miles away from The Dome...

Had tickets for tonight's show to celebrate my 50th birthday.  I completely understand the cancellation, but I really wish they had just postponed, maybe add a date at the end of the tour.  My sister and I were really excited to relive The Joshua Tree concert we saw in 1987 at the St. Louis Arena.

Heartbroken. My husband and I were going to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary with this concert. I understand why it was cancelled, but it is a shame that criminal malcontents have to ruin a enjoyable evening for tens of thousands of U2 fans.

I may be in Australia, but to speak out as a U2 fan?

I feel for U2 and feel for the fans.

For fans looking forward to see the worlds best band U2, and some fans that had to travel so far to see U2, and get told it's cancelled.

It would be so upsetting for the fans, and if I was there I would be too, speaking as a fan.

But I would feel more for U2, that would not have been a easy decision to make. And one that would not be taken lightly.

U2 are fantastic. The way they think of their fans and as in the way they get involved with them, and to think of their safety so fans don't get hurt.

U2 are pretty special to put fans first before themselves.

To cancel the concert is the right decision, it just isn't worth someone getting hurt, or someone's life. If there is not enough security it should be cancelled no matter how much it hurts fan.

You must put yourself in their shoes to understand. If something happened and you said the show must go on when you know it is dangerous, if something happened it wouldn't be a nice feeling knowing you could of stopped the concert. You would never forgive youself.

You made the right decision U2 thank you for thinking of the fans safety, and also for your safety.

Your safety is important fans, as fans safety is important to you.

All the best to the fans, and all the best to you U2.

Love you with all my heart U2. :u2-1383: :wub:  :wub: :wub: :wub: Karen.

It is very sad that the show was cancelled, but I agree with the decision for public safety.  I DO NOT agree with the violence that has erupted, but I DO agree with the reasons behind the protest.  Those committing acts of violence are wrong...not everyone protesting are thugs.  

Edited by angelofharlem4u2

I feel like U2 re-scheduling the concert would be an incredibly important gesture from the band.  I know that as artists they are not required to do anything beyond make music and sell it, but this Joshua Tree tour is as much a plea to America to fulfill its promise as a country as it is a rock concert. As a resident of a suburb of St Louis I know this region needs to hear this message more than ever after Ferguson and this weekend.   It is a very divided city right now (in a very divided country).  

Again, I know it's not U2's job but the city could use the boost that the concert would bring economically as well.  This was supposed to be a big weekend for STL - a sold out Ed Sheeran concert was also cancelled today.  

Even though I don't always agree with Bono's methods (not a fan of some of the former Presidents he likes to hang with) I love U2 for their commitment to social justice as much as their music and I suppose I hold them to a higher standard than I guess I should.  

All that said, I am also probably being a little selfish because I am severely disappointed the show was cancelled!  

• Upvote 2

On 9/16/2017 at 12:57 PM, mksiggy75 said:

Did you watch the video? I did. If he wasn't doing anything wrong why would he run like he did? He hit the cop car, damn near ran them over, and takes off driving at speeds over 80 mph on city streets. The gun wasn't planted, where's the officer going to hide a gun of that size as to not be seen on him? Smith was a drug dealer and a thug, plain and simple. He been arrested several timesCourt records show he had a criminal record that included convictions for unlawful possession of a firearm and drug distribution. At the time of the shooting, he was on probation for a theft charge related to a 2010 crime in the St. Louis suburb of Ferguson. Heroin was found in the car. He ran because as a felon if you're caught with heroin and a firearm, you are doing time period. Free ticket back to the big house. Here's some advice, when stopped by the police, be polite, do exactly as they tell you, and you'll be just fine. Because without a police force what you'll have is anarchy. If BLM wants to protest something, tell em to pick any democratic controlled city like say Chicago and protest the killings there, heck they only had 10 killed and 32 wounded this past weekend. Oh I forgot, black on black crime doesn't matter.....

• Like 1

We traveled five hours to attend the concert only to have it cancelled.  I completely understand and agree with the decision to cancel.   But why not reschedule?   This is an opportunity for U2 to be the U2 of the Joshua Tree, Under a Blood Red Sky, and a voice of compassion and reason when a city like St. Louis needed it.     Not to mention 40,000 fans who may never get the chance to see this tour now.    I personally will likely not see the concert now, and I am (selfishly I know) very upset and disappointed.   Please reschedule, don't simply walk away from this.

• Upvote 1