Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JPollett

Politics Not Wanted

I don't mind the band raising one issue during the gig and it can be a good thing to make people think. However, Bono is taking it too far these days. Although they've been political from the early days, it's obvious when looking back over the years that more and more politics/causes are being brought into each tour as the years progress. More music and less preaching please Bono.

Again and again this comes up and usually by a very vocal few.  I get it and I think the band does too.  There are lots of reasons people are into U2, they may listen just to hear Larry's drumming and I think U2 wants to welcome all.  But for the vast majority of U2 fans, we actually do listen to the lyrics and have followed the band and their positions on issues over many years (every album liner references organizations they directly support such as Amnesty, Greenpeace and of course One).  For anyone who has actually listened to the lyrics to their songs over the years/decades or heard the band's commentary on social/political issues over such time, to really be as offended as the OP by anything in the JT 2017 tour is just absolutely bewildering to me.  I just don't get it. 

Oh and I genuinely think that U2 were purposefully subdued with their social statements this tour (more implied than direct),  If you really want to know how they feel about US politics, pull up a video of desire or bullet from one of their shows last fall during the election cycle.