Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AnaSpanishEyes

The right thing

Let’s go back to 2001, when U2 released Walk on, or 2009, during the 360 tour, when they asked us fans to bring masks of Aung San Suu Kyi to concerts and wear them during performances of "Walk On" in support of her, which we did.

Let’s back to the Innocence and experience tour, where they talked about the Syrian refugees, where they asked us: “What do you want? A Europe with its heart and its eyes opened or a Europe with its borders closed to mercy? What do you want?”

And Bono himself answered to that question: “ All I want... A place called home… Somewhere safe…”

They’ve been supporting many causes all over these years and using their relevance to involve all of us on them.

Today in Myanmar, thousands of people are being slaughtered, raped, forced to leave their homes and everything they have for saving their lives. The Rohingya people suffers a genocide and the de facto head of government, Aung San Suu Kyi (awarded with the Nobel Peace Prize) talk about “violence on both sides”.

Malala Yousafzai:  “Over the last several years, I have repeatedly condemned this tragic and shameful treatment. I am still waiting for my fellow Nobel Laureate Aung San Suu Kyi to do the same. The world is waiting and the Rohingya Muslims are waiting."

Desmond Tutu: “For years I had a photograph of you on my desk to remind me of the injustice and sacrifice you endured out of your love and commitment for Myanmar’s people. You symbolised righteousness.

“Your emergence into public life allayed our concerns about violence being perpetrated against members of the Rohingya. But what some have called ‘ethnic cleansing’ and others ‘a slow genocide’ has persisted – and recently accelerated.

“It is incongruous for a symbol of righteousness to lead such a country. If the political price of your ascension to the highest office in Myanmar is your silence, the price is surely too steep.”

Bono is keeping silence, he use to have an opinion about anything, but not a single word about this, not a “Hey Suu Kyi I’m sure you can do better than this” neither a message of support to those suffering over there.

Does this mean they were wrong on supporting ASSK when she was imprisoned? Absolutely no.

But it’s time to hear Bono and the guys speaking loud and clear about this.

If they don’t, what will be the reaction the next time U2 “champion” a cause or person?

I know there’s a release soon and maybe they are worried about how saying anything would affect it, but they didn’t use to care about that when it was about doing the right thing.

I find the band's silence on this issue quite disturbing.  Some kind of statement of clarification of their position from the band seems fitting, especially since they used the concert forum to ask fans to support this woman.  Although I can't imagine this is the case, their silence seems to indicate a continued support for her regime.  I am at such a loss wondering why U2 has chosen to remain silent.

On ‎20‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 10:30 PM, seanface said:

I find the band's silence on this issue quite disturbing.  Some kind of statement of clarification of their position from the band seems fitting, especially since they used the concert forum to ask fans to support this woman.  Although I can't imagine this is the case, their silence seems to indicate a continued support for her regime.  I am at such a loss wondering why U2 has chosen to remain silent.

Fully agree. Given their support for Aung San Sue Kyi, you would think they would say something.

They've also lauded Malala and Tutu, so you might expect them to voice support for their statements as well as for the refugees generally.