Sign in to follow this  
Jason D Newport Bch, CA

Qualcomm Parking/Trolley Tips for Friday?

Any parking tips for getting in and out of Qualcomm in the least stressful way?

Driving down from the OC Friday afternoon and staying with friends in Clairemont, but won't get there until about 5:30 PM. 

We were thinking Uber to Old Town, then trolley in, but how will that be on the way out?

- How long can it take to get in and out of the out circle with normal parking?  
- How can we get inner circle parking and can we get in quickly around 7:00 PM?
- Is it an easy Uber ride in and then take the trolley out?  (I saw a lot of Uber zombies waiting around after Rose Bowl and I don't want to be one of them) 

Thanks for any tips and looking forward to seeing some, er, a lot of the U2 fam in GA Friday...especially those of us making that crawl down the 5 freeway. 

If driving, be aware that on a friday, the concert traffic will be competing with rush hour traffic, which backs up on I8 east and on I15 on a good day.  Plus, I bet a lot of people will be heading over after they get off work friday, making it even worse (rather than taking a half day off for example).  So driving in at 5-ish or later you are very likely to hit a lot of traffic so don't expect  just drive right in.  Get there in the afternoon if you can and hang out/tailgate.  Getting in quickly to the inner circle parking ring at 7pm, I wouldn't bet on it.  At that time you are more likely to be further out in the lot. 

If driving I'd recommend trying for the west entrance off Friars and not try to get there directly via the I15 exits to Friars to the main entrance which will have the biggest bottleneck.  Years ago we would always use that west entrance for SDSU football games and at least back then it was smoother getting in. 

I've never used Uber (or Lyft) to get to the stadium so I cant comment on that. 

The trolley would be a good idea.  They usually run extra trains for special events.  It will be busy, but there are multiple stops west of the stadium (all the way into downtown) that you could hop on at.  Just be aware that the trolley will have a long line when leaving the stadium at the end of the show. 

We're staying at the Town and Country Inn in Mission Valley which appears to be right next to the Fashion Valley Trolley stop. We plan on taking that to and from the Stadium. I am looking at Google Maps and it looks like there are some walking/bike trails along the San Diego River that would get you most of the way to/from the stadium. Can any locals speak to the saftey/practicality of walking back along those trails if the westbound trolley line is redonkulous? 

Edited by seanclv

1 hour ago, seanclv said:

We're staying at the Town and Country Inn in Mission Valley which appears to be right next to the Fashion Valley Trolley stop. We plan on taking that to and from the Stadium. I am looking at Google Maps and it looks like there are some walking/bike trails along the San Diego River that would get you most of the way to/from the stadium. Can any locals speak to the saftey/practicality of walking back along those trails if the westbound trolley line is redonkulous? 

I've never walked them personally but I think generally mission valley is relatively safe.  Because they are kind of secluded, late at night the usual safety precautions apply, maybe just watch out for the occasional homeless person?  It might be a bit far of a walk to the TnC (looks like about 3 miles at least)? 

Also you cant just walk out of the stadium parking lot in the SW corner because its fenced and blocked by residences.  So you'd have to walk up to Friars road and west along Friars and then maybe the side streets to Qualcomm Way and access the trail from there.   Unless someone knows of some "shortcuts" (over/through fences and such).

Or you could try walking partway to the next trolley stop behind Ikea or the next one on Qualcomm and get on the Trolley there, assuming you could squeeze yourself into an already packed trolley?

On 9/21/2017 at 12:16 PM, seanclv said:

It's a longer walk than you think! The trolley will be hectic but they ru it extra. Take the trolley from the fashion valley stop.

On 9/21/2017 at 12:16 PM, seanclv said:

Take the trolley , dont walk, that area can have many homeless caps and there is currently a hepatitis issue .

Trolley worked out ok. I noticed as we were taking the trolley to the stadium that it would have been a very long and complicated walk. It was a bit of a wait to leave the stadium on the trolley, but it didn't appear the parking lot was emptying any quicker. 

When we were taking the trolley earlier in the day to go sightseeing, some local was telling us that we should be carrying hand sanitizer and washing our hands frequently due to the hepatitis issue. 

On 9/24/2017 at 8:45 PM, seanclv said:

Trolley worked out ok. I noticed as we were taking the trolley to the stadium that it would have been a very long and complicated walk. It was a bit of a wait to leave the stadium on the trolley, but it didn't appear the parking lot was emptying any quicker. 

When we were taking the trolley earlier in the day to go sightseeing, some local was telling us that we should be carrying hand sanitizer and washing our hands frequently due to the hepatitis issue. 

Cool.  We drove in, and getting out was a mess.  There were police on the streets directing traffic where they weren't needed, and no police where they really were needed.  Nobody was directing traffic anywhere in the lot either.  Hope you had a great time!