Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

febottini

Dispatch Update - 2017 Subscriber Gift (Was '2017 Subscription Gift Announced')

Free gifts have never particularly worried me, there have often been delays over the years but they have ALWAYS turned up eventually. No point popping at the mods on here they don't organize the deliveries :-)

Thanks for the update Max.  i had inquired several times but this is the first time I actually wandered into the forum section and I figured I'd get some answers there.  I got annoyed when I looked on ebay and saw the set for sale.  That means that they were sent out.  I did not know about these issues in the background.  Thanks for the infomation.  I just did not know if I was passed over  or maybe they were sent out during Hurricane Harvey and undelivered etc etc etc.

Like I mentioned in my original post, I was a first time subscriber and i left my subscription run out because after a year i still had not received the promised gift nor received any replies to my inquiries.  I hope this does not affect them sending my gift that I'm not a current subscriber.  i'd hope not.

I still haven't received The Joshua Tree Singles Vinyl Collection: 1987 & 2017. However on my profile page it says "You have redeemed your gift."

When can I expect it to finally arrive?

6 minutes ago, BEUS84 said:

I still haven't received The Joshua Tree Singles Vinyl Collection: 1987 & 2017. However on my profile page it says "You have redeemed your gift."

Sounds like you are one of the ones whose vinyl will be sent out sometime in February.

6 minutes ago, ally33 said:

Sounds like you are one of the ones whose vinyl will be sent out sometime in February.

Me too. Still waiting. It's particularly irksome as there are copies on ebay (already). 

2 hours ago, BEUS84 said:

I have not received mine and I guess it will appear in February. But I have a request: instead of a vinyl please make the next gift a VHS or Beta cassette of some show. Makes as much sense to me ;)

11 hours ago, Vienis said:

I have not received mine and I guess it will appear in February. But I have a request: instead of a vinyl please make the next gift a VHS or Beta cassette of some show. Makes as much sense to me ;)

That's pretty funny :), but vinyl has definitely made a comeback.  I personally don't have a turntable and don't intend to jump back into vinyl at this point in my life, but I still enjoy collecting some vinyl just for the artwork.  The music on this vinyl collection is available for download and all of U2's music is available for streaming anyway, so the fact that this is on vinyl makes no difference in my opinion.

On 1/28/2018 at 2:47 PM, KEV ANGELL said:

Free gifts have never particularly worried me, there have often been delays over the years but they have ALWAYS turned up eventually. No point popping at the mods on here they don't organize the deliveries :-)

Yeah, I really don't understand all of the rage over this.  I have not received mine yet either.  When it gets here it gets here.  I'll be happy to have it, but it really won't make any difference in my life.

1 hour ago, james busick said:

That's pretty funny :), but vinyl has definitely made a comeback.  I personally don't have a turntable and don't intend to jump back into vinyl at this point in my life, but I still enjoy collecting some vinyl just for the artwork.  The music on this vinyl collection is available for download and all of U2's music is available for streaming anyway, so the fact that this is on vinyl makes no difference in my opinion.

Well, I'll jump back in here, as it was one of my very favorite points of discussion back when this set was originally announced. :)

If they provided lossless or at least WAV downloads for any music they gave to us, there would be no problem for anyone. Those who want vinyl could be happy with the vinyl; those who don't want vinyl aren't stuck merely with lossy mp3s. The songs are originally recorded in a lossless fashion - why not release them that way? If they are determined not to release CD versions in addition to the vinyl, at least let us have the downloads in CD-quality WAV versions. Those who want mp3s can easily convert both lossless and WAV files into mp3s and without cost - it's a bulit-in function with iTunes, for example. Everyone wins.

Still waiting for mine as well, but since they will just be artwork for me, they come when they come...

1 hour ago, dmway said:

Well, I'll jump back in here, as it was one of my very favorite points of discussion back when this set was originally announced. :)

If they provided lossless or at least WAV downloads for any music they gave to us, there would be no problem for anyone. Those who want vinyl could be happy with the vinyl; those who don't want vinyl aren't stuck merely with lossy mp3s. The songs are originally recorded in a lossless fashion - why not release them that way? If they are determined not to release CD versions in addition to the vinyl, at least let us have the downloads in CD-quality WAV versions. Those who want mp3s can easily convert both lossless and WAV files into mp3s and without cost - it's a bulit-in function with iTunes, for example. Everyone wins.

Still waiting for mine as well, but since they will just be artwork for me, they come when they come...

Fair enough point.  I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that many/most people listen to much/most of their music from a mobile device with earbuds these days.  With that setup, studies have found that the difference between mp3 and the lossless formats is undetectable to the vast majority of human ears.

49 minutes ago, james busick said:

Fair enough point.  I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that many/most people listen to much/most of their music from a mobile device with earbuds these days.  With that setup, studies have found that the difference between mp3 and the lossless formats is undetectable to the vast majority of human ears.

...not to belabor the issue, but majority is not all. I'm one of those who definitely hears the difference.

My original point still holds as well. If the assumption isn't made up front that mp3s are "good enough", everybody can get what they want and be satisfied. We have paid the same money in yearly dues; we should also get the same satisfaction from the musical offerings. That's my point.

(Also, if the majority of people listen to most of their music digitally, why is vinyl being offered at all? ;)

41 minutes ago, dmway said:

...not to belabor the issue, but majority is not all. I'm one of those who definitely hears the difference.

My original point still holds as well. If the assumption isn't made up front that mp3s are "good enough", everybody can get what they want and be satisfied. We have paid the same money in yearly dues; we should also get the same satisfaction from the musical offerings. That's my point.

(Also, if the majority of people listen to most of their music digitally, why is vinyl being offered at all? ;)

Point valid and well taken.  Vinyl offering is definitely based on trend or what might or might not be fad.  The vinyl resurgence has been going on for several years now, so it appears to be back to stay at some level.  It would be interesting to know if it is any more difficult to provide lossless digital.  If not, then my guess is that since mp3 is good enough for most people they're just not that concerned about satisfying the few. 

On 24/1/2018 at 3:07 AM, popmart_1 said:

Done , lets see what happens

I got a (standard) letter from them telling they'll investigate the case. Did you got one as well?

Hi max ,just to clear this up I can't see anything that says you were the guilty one,but as you delete a lot of posts maybe the one that says you were the guilty one has been deleted,pity I didn't see it.

21 hours ago, clarky46 said:

Hi max ,just to clear this up I can't see anything that says you were the guilty one,but as you delete a lot of posts maybe the one that says you were the guilty one has been deleted,pity I didn't see it.

posted are never deleted. Some get hidden / reviewed, usually with a note to the person who posted with a reason (not always, for instance duplicate posts are simple hidden without need to notify). Some get merged together and a link left on each forum to the merge.

On 1/29/2018 at 1:47 PM, BEUS84 said:

I am in this particular boat too - hope the Feb news is correct - really think that the lack of comms / trackability on this is a bit poor

Haven't received mine either. CS when asked simply copy and paste the news entry. 2017 came and went, early february come and go, not to mention codes and presale debacles for members, new and old. Not happy about the current situation after 21 years of Propaganda and u2.com

On 1/28/2018 at 3:47 PM, KEV ANGELL said:

It's not free though...we are paying for our fan club subscription and part of what we pay includes the gift. If it was "free" it wouldn't be for the paid subscribers only and all the free users on here would be getting them as well...

I'm not condoning people getting angry at the mods but I think people have every reason to be tired of this runaround that the customer service is giving us. There is no reason that all these different people should be receiving conflicting answers.  

I received mine in December, live in the UK. It is just what it is a vinyl album set. I completely forgot it was coming. I don't have a record player so they are on top of my cd rack.