Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

febottini

Dispatch Update - 2017 Subscriber Gift (Was '2017 Subscription Gift Announced')

I thought of an acceptable gift for 2018, rather than the bag of sheet mentioned above.

How about a bluray of U23D?  I'd be psyched to get that.

15 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I agree.  The only thing I can discern is maybe they are waiting for the presales to end before they address things.  These presales are still a mess, as you stated.  Maybe they're really busy rehearsing for the tour and don't let this stuff filter through to them while preparing for a tour.  Perhaps this or that. I don't know.  All I can do is guess based on the little we do know.  It seems very out of character for this band to let all this go and not address it.  I'm still waiting to see what they do. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.  I have been a member for a long time, too.  I still think Prop people should get first go at anything, however; it seems to be a lost cause.  Now I'm listed as joining in 2009 and it riles me.  I completely understand how you feel.  It's nice to hear from someone else who has been with them for decades.  I'm not negating new members.  It irritates me that Prop gets negated, because we were the first.  That being said, we obviously decided to stick with them.  I'm still waiting to see how they address all of this. 

I think it important to separate and start taking these promoters to task because they are making a lot of money.  It's time promoters start taking responsibility for their actions.  I think the only way that's ever going to happen is if we call them out on it and raise our voices collectively.

I agree. Whether it's the promoters, Live Nation or whoever. Own up to his COMPLETE mess!! It would be nice if us Prop members were given some kind of preference, but that definitely is not the case. Yes, newer members are great, but what about us 'old timers'??? I will never give up on U2, but I do have to say this all has left a TERRIBLE taste in my mouth. I will always go see them when they tour, but with these outrageous prices I am extremely limited on how many shows I can go to. I say with much sadness. I still don't have a ticket for any US shows.

6 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I thought of an acceptable gift for 2018, rather than the bag of sheet mentioned above.

How about a bluray of U23D?  I'd be psyched to get that.

I have been asking this, too. Not sure if U2 holds the rights to that film though.

Surely an acceptable gift for 2018 would be to actually receive the gift from 2017 with a full refund of our subscription fee and some form of compensation. In most consumer cases if you don't get what was promised you're entitled to a refund and in some cases compensation. Surely that is the least we deserve. What with this on going issue, stupid ticket prices, lack of pre sale codes to name but a few issues, it seems the wheels have begun to come off the U2 empire. Instead of Bono trying to make poverty history why not give the fans who've got you to where you are a bit of respect and treat them not as a never ending cash machine.? Just wondering why the moderators haven't escalated these issues to a higher being? Or if they have why hasn't anything been resolved. Would be nice to hear other people's views on this.

1 hour ago, flashmanbrum said:

Surely an acceptable gift for 2018 would be to actually receive the gift from 2017 with a full refund of our subscription fee and some form of compensation. In most consumer cases if you don't get what was promised you're entitled to a refund and in some cases compensation. Surely that is the least we deserve. What with this on going issue, stupid ticket prices, lack of pre sale codes to name but a few issues, it seems the wheels have begun to come off the U2 empire. Instead of Bono trying to make poverty history why not give the fans who've got you to where you are a bit of respect and treat them not as a never ending cash machine.? Just wondering why the moderators haven't escalated these issues to a higher being? Or if they have why hasn't anything been resolved. Would be nice to hear other people's views on this.

As we have stated several times and per the FAQs:

What is the status with the 2017 subscriber gift ? 
Following dispatch of initial orders, there were unexpected delays in production of the four 10” discs which form the new limited edition collection The Joshua Tree Singles Vinyl Collection: 1987 & 2017. Production is now underway again and dispatch of the gift will begin again in early February. We’ll email you as soon as your copy hits the post so that you know when to expect it. Don’t forget, qualifying Subscribers can download all 8 tracks today from the Account Info page.

1 hour ago, flashmanbrum said:

Just wondering why the moderators haven't escalated these issues to a higher being? Or if they have why hasn't anything been resolved.

We have and the U2comteam is aware of this and any other issue that is being raised on the board...

1 hour ago, mich40 said:

As we have stated several times and per the FAQs:

What is the status with the 2017 subscriber gift ? 
Following dispatch of initial orders, there were unexpected delays in production of the four 10” discs which form the new limited edition collection The Joshua Tree Singles Vinyl Collection: 1987 & 2017. Production is now underway again and dispatch of the gift will begin again in early February. We’ll email you as soon as your copy hits the post so that you know when to expect it. Don’t forget, qualifying Subscribers can download all 8 tracks today from the Account Info page.

Doesn't matter how often you repeat it, the fact is that there a lot of people out there who haven't received their gift yet and are rightly pissed off by that....

3 minutes ago, shakyfan said:

Doesn't matter how often you repeat it, the fact is that there a lot of people out there who haven't received their gift yet and are rightly pissed off by that....

we are in the group of people who haven't received it (in my personal case, the issue doubles as in this country, the postal service is slower than molasses)...

2 hours ago, Max Tsukino said:

We have and the U2comteam is aware of this and any other issue that is being raised on the board...

If possible, I would respectfully ask that the following suggestion be passed up the food chain to The Powers That Be:

In the event of delays on future membership packages (or even additional delays on the 2017 vinyl package), it would be greatly appreciated if the Fan Club could reach out to fans directly with an email.  While I appreciate that the information was available in this forum, I am not the one responsible for the delay, so it doesn't seem right that I should be the one responsible for researching why the package hasn't arrived.

With every other company that I have ever placed an online order for, if there was a delay, the company reached out to me via email to alert me of the delay.  Since the membership package is part of the paid U2 subscription, I feel that it would be appropriate for U2.com to have taken the initiative to actively reach out to fans with an email update, rather than passively providing the information in a way that makes fans have to look for it.

It's especially troublesome because U2.com seems to have no issue sending multiple emails when there's an opportunity to purchase something, whether it's concert tickets or official merchandise or new music.  Since we have already purchased this fan club membership, and since the email system does appear to work, a mass email sent to subscribers with a general update would be my preferred method of receiving this information.

None of this takes away from my appreciation for that information being posted here (and I do appreciate that) - I merely wish to say that I believe the information should have been shared by other methods as well.  While I check my email daily, I do not check this forum daily, and I am sure there are subscribers who don't visit the forum section at all.

Thank you kindly for your consideration of this suggestion.

11 hours ago, u2rone said:

I still don't have a ticket for any US shows.

There were GA tickets available for Indy and Minneapolis TJT shows the whole time.  I presumed they were not, looked and found them.  That seems to be the only affordable way of seeing them multiple times...find the GAs.  They always appear if you look hard enough.

19 hours ago, vertigojds said:

It's especially troublesome because U2.com seems to have no issue sending multiple emails when there's an opportunity to purchase something, whether it's concert tickets or official merchandise or new music.

I could not agree more.  Everyone is doing this nowadays.  It's so irritating to delete one and have it reappear.  I'm defensive of this band but that is downright infuriating.  Stay out of my inbox if I've already deleted you.  Don't be figuring out my other emails because that makes me not even consider a purchase, no matter who you are or what it is.  Huge pet peeve.  It was especially bad this past holiday season.  I need to reiterate that I don't care about the 45s being late.  It's been addressed.  They will arrive when they arrive.  I forgot about the lithographs and suddenly one day there was this wonderful surprise awaiting me.  I didn't know what they were.  Maybe that will happen this time too.  The mods go out of their way to help us.  Please don't make them suffer our frustrations.  They've been very cool to me and several others in these threads.  They are polite even when they could make us look like fools for not reading or searching before we  post.

10 hours ago, tvgio.com said:

I have been asking this, too. Not sure if U2 holds the rights to that film though.

I never thought of the rights.  I presumed.  That might make sense of why it's not been released.  May I ask why you think they might not own the rights? Was it the 3D technology?  I've no idea how I'd search that on the internet.  I'm really, really, really hoping your answer is not that Live Nation might own the rights.  Prepare for the worst and hope for the best that they do not?

On 2/6/2018 at 8:02 PM, dmway said:

Yeah, I'm bored enough to bite on this topic further! :D

If you like vinyl, that's great! It does seem to be the "in" thing at the moment...

HOWEVER, there are advantages to CDs (and digital, if we're talking about lossless or WAV downloads, NOT mp3s) :

1) No static - some people have a romantic attachment to snap, crackle, and pop; they can indeed be pleasing sounds. However, if I really want to hear them, I'll just have a bowl of Rice Krispies...

2) No flipping over a disk half-way through an album - this is the major advantage, IMHO. You can hear an album that was meant to be a whole (in most cases) in one sitting.

3) True portability - CDs and digital can be played virtually anywhere. I have yet to see a turntable for a car or an "iTurntable" that one can use while walking, exercising, etc. (If they made one though, think of how quickly your arms would grow really strong!)

4) (Semi-)permanence - the simple fact is that, since there is physical contact between a record needle and the vinyl itself, the vinyl does begin to wear out with each and every playing. That never happens with CDs/digital. Yes, if you go fully digital, a hard-drive crash can ruin your world, but it can also be recovered with a little fore-planning. Of course, streaming services being all the rage right now, you don't even have to worry about storage (but you're probably listening to crappy mp3s, so there's a trade-off there).

What I really have been liking over the past 10 - 15 years are the deluxe boxsets for albums, like those for AB and JT. They have full album-sized graphics, if you like the romance of having something tangible to hold while listening to the music. And, you get all those great extras. Best of both worlds really...

Now, before you think that I don't appreciate vinyl because I'm "age-challenged", so to speak, I can assure you that I'm not. :) I was one of those in the 80s who traded in his very bulky vinyl collection to have CDs instead. Yes, there is a bit lost in the artwork department, but you still have it if that is important to you with CDs - squinting isn't that hard. ;) The no-visuals-at-all argument against digital I agree with; thus, my preference for CDs (i.e., at least you still have some artwork).

The cost of a good turntable is usually more than $100. If you get one that is portable, you only have mono sound (unless it's a really souped-up portable one). If you get a turntable, that is just step one, unless you are always going to listen to your vinyl on headphones. If you want to hear it out loud, then you need an amplifier and proper speakers as well - both are several hundred dollars each.

And, then there's the cost of new vinyl albums today as well. For example, if I wanted SOI from the U2.com shop, I would be charged $12.99. If I want the same album on vinyl, it's $34.99. This is not an isolated occurrence. New vinyl today is more expensive than CDs were even when it was a new medium back in the 80s! This is my major objection to vinyl today - the albums are just too expensive.

So, if you like vinyl, good for you! BUT, if you don't, you have very compelling arguments for your position as well. :)

hey, i'm not arguing taste. to each his own, whatever floats your boat. we all listen to music in different ways... i was just attempting to retort to that old argument that vinyl doesnt sound as good...

p.s.- if you know where to look, you can still find vinyl reasonably priced... the new release, newly pressed vinyl are definitely overpriced marketing tactics, but for me, a guy who unloaded much of his vinyl back in the day for the revolutionary cd. replacing that collection can get costly, but if I can replace an old album for $10 or buy the download for $10, I'm taking the record. My choice...

That said, I will also say that I'm not much of a space-aged, digital whiz kid and don't know much about the mp3/flac/wav/etc... to me, they're all downloads!  :)

39 minutes ago, gpmalecki said:

hey, i'm not arguing taste. to each his own, whatever floats your boat. we all listen to music in different ways... i was just attempting to retort to that old argument that vinyl doesnt sound as good...

p.s.- if you know where to look, you can still find vinyl reasonably priced... the new release, newly pressed vinyl are definitely overpriced marketing tactics, but for me, a guy who unloaded much of his vinyl back in the day for the revolutionary cd. replacing that collection can get costly, but if I can replace an old album for $10 or buy the download for $10, I'm taking the record. My choice...

That said, I will also say that I'm not much of a space-aged, digital whiz kid and don't know much about the mp3/flac/wav/etc... to me, they're all downloads!  :)

I'm 22 and I agree, physical is always better. Although I don't have a vinyl record player (mine died a few years ago), I buy vinyls from time to time, and of course, CDs (I have 650 of them). And although I like to listen to a few tracks online before buying, I most of the time buy the ones I like.

10 minutes ago, Thomas_List said:

Has anyone in Germany already received the member gift for 2017?

Thanks

Germany, no gift received yet... hope dies last ;) 

16 hours ago, Max Tsukino said:

we are in the group of people who haven't received it (in my personal case, the issue doubles as in this country, the postal service is slower than molasses)...

In Colombia it's the same with our national post service :( 

2 hours ago, valentin_sappy said:

I'm 22 and I agree, physical is always better. Although I don't have a vinyl record player (mine died a few years ago), I buy vinyls from time to time, and of course, CDs (I have 650 of them). And although I like to listen to a few tracks online before buying, I most of the time buy the ones I like.

I'm 39 and I continue buying CD's, DVD's and I'm starting with vinyls now (I have only 5 vinyls), even I have included my musical collection in my home insurance :D

5 hours ago, gpmalecki said:

Oh, I'm with you there - there is nothing better than the initial play of a new vinyl album on a good stereo - pure heaven. :) Vinyl is much better than mp3s and , depending on one's taste, even WAV files (it's not better than lossless one though - that's just physics).

I'm not against the reappearance of vinyl in the marketplace - if people want it, more power to them. I just don't want it to come at the full expense of CDs and higher-quality digital downloads (WAV and lossless downloads). It would be a tragedy if the music-buying public only had access to vinyl, mp3s, and streaming services exclusively.

As far as physical formats are concerned, I'm a big fan of DVD-Audio, Blu-ray Audio, and, my personal favorite, SACD (Super Audio CD). All of these formats (properly mixed and mastered, of course) blow away any other format. SACD is especially good in preserving analogue warmth in the sound of the original music - DVD-A and Blu-Ray-A can sound a bit overly bright to those who grew up with and prefer analogue sound from vinyl. I hope when U2 goes to an audiophile format for their albums that they choose SACD, but either/both of the other two really deliver the full spectrum of the music.

I'm just not in the mood to have/buy vinyl again. I've already done that in my life, and I've catalogued the disadvantages in my post above. If regular CDs go tragically away someday, I'll be getting digital and audiophile versions of music exclusively.

So, in summary, if the band are going to distribute vinyl exclusively for their gifts to us (which we actually pay for with our annual dues), PLEASE give us the option of having our download be in a format worth having (WAV and/or lossless). Let's hope that the powers-that-be will listen.

19 hours ago, vertigojds said:

If possible, I would respectfully ask that the following suggestion be passed up the food chain to The Powers That Be:

In the event of delays on future membership packages (or even additional delays on the 2017 vinyl package), it would be greatly appreciated if the Fan Club could reach out to fans directly with an email.  While I appreciate that the information was available in this forum, I am not the one responsible for the delay, so it doesn't seem right that I should be the one responsible for researching why the package hasn't arrived.

With every other company that I have ever placed an online order for, if there was a delay, the company reached out to me via email to alert me of the delay.  Since the membership package is part of the paid U2 subscription, I feel that it would be appropriate for U2.com to have taken the initiative to actively reach out to fans with an email update, rather than passively providing the information in a way that makes fans have to look for it.

It's especially troublesome because U2.com seems to have no issue sending multiple emails when there's an opportunity to purchase something, whether it's concert tickets or official merchandise or new music.  Since we have already purchased this fan club membership, and since the email system does appear to work, a mass email sent to subscribers with a general update would be my preferred method of receiving this information.

None of this takes away from my appreciation for that information being posted here (and I do appreciate that) - I merely wish to say that I believe the information should have been shared by other methods as well.  While I check my email daily, I do not check this forum daily, and I am sure there are subscribers who don't visit the forum section at all.

Thank you kindly for your consideration of this suggestion.

+1

17 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I never thought of the rights.  I presumed.  That might make sense of why it's not been released.  May I ask why you think they might not own the rights? Was it the 3D technology?  I've no idea how I'd search that on the internet.  I'm really, really, really hoping your answer is not that Live Nation might own the rights.  Prepare for the worst and hope for the best that they do not?

Seems the rights are split. 

"The film was produced by 3ality Digital and distributed by National Geographic Entertainment [...] U2 control the ancillary rights to U2 3D along with the record label Universal Music Group, Universal Music Group and they have stated that additional rights such as those for a home video release will not be optioned until home video technology can meet the same digital 3D standards as cinema.[61] Owens said in a 2007 interview that there were plans to release the film to a 3D home video format,[15] however, the press release for the 2015 Spain re-release stated that U2 3D has been licensed exclusively for theatrical release, and will not be distributed in television, internet, or other home video formats.[85]"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/U2_3D#Distribution

1 hour ago, dmway said:

Oh, I'm with you there - there is nothing better than the initial play of a new vinyl album on a good stereo - pure heaven. :) Vinyl is much better than mp3s and , depending on one's taste, even WAV files (it's not better than lossless one though - that's just physics).

I'm not against the reappearance of vinyl in the marketplace - if people want it, more power to them. I just don't want it to come at the full expense of CDs and higher-quality digital downloads (WAV and lossless downloads). It would be a tragedy if the music-buying public only had access to vinyl, mp3s, and streaming services exclusively.

As far as physical formats are concerned, I'm a big fan of DVD-Audio, Blu-ray Audio, and, my personal favorite, SACD (Super Audio CD). All of these formats (properly mixed and mastered, of course) blow away any other format. SACD is especially good in preserving analogue warmth in the sound of the original music - DVD-A and Blu-Ray-A can sound a bit overly bright to those who grew up with and prefer analogue sound from vinyl. I hope when U2 goes to an audiophile format for their albums that they choose SACD, but either/both of the other two really deliver the full spectrum of the music.

I'm just not in the mood to have/buy vinyl again. I've already done that in my life, and I've catalogued the disadvantages in my post above. If regular CDs go tragically away someday, I'll be getting digital and audiophile versions of music exclusively.

So, in summary, if the band are going to distribute vinyl exclusively for their gifts to us (which we actually pay for with our annual dues), PLEASE give us the option of having our download be in a format worth having (WAV and/or lossless). Let's hope that the powers-that-be will listen.

yeah... i don't know what happened with dvd-audio... when i worked for warner-elektra-atlantic in the early 00's, they put a few releases and it seemed like it would become the next big format, and it seemed to have fizzled just as quickly...

5 hours ago, gpmalecki said:

yeah... i don't know what happened with dvd-audio... when i worked for warner-elektra-atlantic in the early 00's, they put a few releases and it seemed like it would become the next big format, and it seemed to have fizzled just as quickly...

Yes - a shame really about DVD-Audio. SACD also has only been embraced by a few record labels in the US (Capitol, A&M, and Columbia (to a lesser degree)), but the industry as a whole really should have taken it on board. The record industry outside of North America has embraced it and their fans are very happy about it. Jazz and Classical music labels worldwide have embraced all of the audiophile formats as well. I hope Blu-Ray audio can be more successful. One of these formats should be available at all times anyway.

Here's hoping for high-quality-sounding music... :)

5 hours ago, tvgio.com said:

Seems the rights are split. 

"The film was produced by 3ality Digital and distributed by National Geographic Entertainment [...] U2 control the ancillary rights to U2 3D along with the record label Universal Music Group, Universal Music Group and they have stated that additional rights such as those for a home video release will not be optioned until home video technology can meet the same digital 3D standards as cinema.[61] Owens said in a 2007 interview that there were plans to release the film to a 3D home video format,[15] however, the press release for the 2015 Spain re-release stated that U2 3D has been licensed exclusively for theatrical release, and will not be distributed in television, internet, or other home video formats.[85]"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/U2_3D#Distribution

I wonder why it's not out yet because 3D Blu-Ray exists and is very good.

Maybe someday...