febottini

Dispatch Update - 2017 Subscriber Gift (Was '2017 Subscription Gift Announced')

On 9/21/2017 at 3:32 PM, Frankaz said:

We all await news of the fabled toilet brush.

Don't believe The Hype.....they operate some shady Feedback !

Waiting too :mellow: Any news? By this time anybody has the vinyls already?

On 5/4/2017 at 12:58 AM, dmway said:

I don't have a turntable either and I don't want to buy one. I guess they will be "art" to look at like the other vinyl I have gotten from the site...sigh...

I have a humble request for the powers that be.

If you don't want to release CD versions of music releases, could you at least release LOSSLESS downloads and not just mp3's? Even WAV files would be infinitely preferred to mp3's. I would love these songs on CD; if you don't/won't release them that way, at least allow us the option to create CDs of the songs ourselves - lossless versions and/or WAV versions would allow us to do so. Those who want mp3's can easily convert lossless files and WAV files to mp3's - there are plenty of free programs/apps that let people do that. mp3's are compressed and lossy - PLEASE allow us to have access to the full-spectrum sound (or at least CD-quality versions) of the songs.

Thank you.

Please forgive my bumping this thread by quoting my own post from a few months ago. However, with the small break between San Diego and Mexico City, I'm sure that this must be being worked on at the moment. (One hopes so, anyway...)

Pretty please, U2 and/or LiveNation and/or anyone else involved in the decision-making process - please... :)

It was supposed to be shipped in September 

Then we can start moaning for next year's gift :lol:

Believe it or not, but this morning I had a feeling the gift was coming our way. 

12 hours ago, hew_ said:

no news yet? :unsure:

Here:

On 21/09/2017 at 1:32 PM, Frankaz said:

We all await news of the fabled toilet brush.

As of right now, we do not have details. When we know something, it will be posted in here. 

Not yet. We'll let you know as soon as we know something. 

21 minutes ago, mich40 said:

Not yet. We'll let you know as soon as we know something. 

Thank you! :) Do you know if the powers-that-be have taken the following to heart?

On 5/4/2017 at 12:58 AM, dmway said:

I have a humble request for the powers that be.

If you don't want to release CD versions of music releases, could you at least release LOSSLESS downloads and not just mp3's? Even WAV files would be infinitely preferred to mp3's. I would love these songs on CD; if you don't/won't release them that way, at least allow us the option to create CDs of the songs ourselves - lossless versions and/or WAV versions would allow us to do so. Those who want mp3's can easily convert lossless files and WAV files to mp3's - there are plenty of free programs/apps that let people do that. mp3's are compressed and lossy - PLEASE allow us to have access to the full-spectrum sound (or at least CD-quality versions) of the songs.

Thank you.

I wasn't the only one who was hoping for this kind of download and/or alternative versions that weren't in mp3 format. Well, one can hope...

Tracks are available for download. Go to your account page for link. Nice surprise in a bad news week! 

4 hours ago, dmway said:

Thank you! :) Do you know if the powers-that-be have taken the following to heart?

I wasn't the only one who was hoping for this kind of download and/or alternative versions that weren't in mp3 format. Well, one can hope...

I do know that the new downloads are available on your account page now. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mich40 said:

Woop woop! Still no toilet brush though :(

13 hours ago, mich40 said:

Oh, thank you! :) They are there.

*sigh*...with a file size of 83MB, they are almost certainly mp3s. :(

Why do people think that mp3s are the digital equivalent of vinyl or CDs? They just aren't. They are FAR inferior...

Yet another kiss-off to those here who don't have and don't want a turntable. Releasing a CD version and/or a CD-quality download is the easiest thing. U2.com has released some really great things for their subscribers over the years, and I'm very grateful for those; however, the recent turn to releasing vinyl with crappy mp3 downloads is really disrespectful to very many long-term subscribers who pay $40/$50 a year every year who have absolutely no interest in vinyl.

Well, here's to hoping it will change someday... :unsure:

48 minutes ago, dmway said:

Why do people think that mp3s are the digital equivalent of vinyl or CDs? They just aren't. They are FAR inferior...

No one thinks mp3 is the digital equivalent of CDs or even vinyl... but everyone knows the format is very convenient, just like everyone knows that jpeg is not the equivalent of an actual photo yet it's still widely used...

3 hours ago, Max Tsukino said:

No one thinks mp3 is the digital equivalent of CDs or even vinyl... but everyone knows the format is very convenient, just like everyone knows that jpeg is not the equivalent of an actual photo yet it's still widely used...

Agreed, but if "convenience" were the main goal, wouldn't one want to canvass the opinion of the membership about what they would prefer, instead of having a format imposed upon them? We literally have paid for the right...

WAV files and lossless files are very easily (and completely without cost) converted to mp3s. Everyone wins. The original songs were recorded in a lossless fashion - why not distribute them that way? It requires more effort to convert them to mp3s.

All of us here appreciate high-quality music - that's why we're U2 fans. Is it too much to ask to hear our band's music in a format worth hearing, in a format which lets us hear the full spectrum of what The Edge, Bono, Larry, and Adam create?

• Like 1

Does anyone have an idea as to when the 2017 subscription gift is getting mailed? In May when I placed the order it said late September, it is now mid-October and I got the digital tracks but no update as to when the vinyl would come. Any clues or ideas?

We do not have any additional information at this point. As soon as we have details, it will be posted in here. 

• Thanks 1

I guess when you break it down, these are the most expensive four MP3's I've ever bought.

$6.25 - With Or Without You (1987)
$6.25 - With Or Without You (Live 2017)
$6.25 - I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For (1987)
$6.25 - I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For (Live 2017)
$6.25 - Where the Streets Have No Name (1987)
$6.25 - Where the Streets Have No Name (Live 2017)
$6.25 - In God's Country (1987)
$6.25 - In God's Country (Live 2017)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$50.00

Of course, if you count the fact that I already have the 1987 remasters in the Joshua Tree box set, it seems even more ridiculous:

$12.50 - With Or Without You (Live 2017)
$12.50 - I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For (Live 2017)
$12.50 - Where the Streets Have No Name (Live 2017)
$12.50 - In God's Country (Live 2017)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$50.00

• Brilliant 1