Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

febottini

Dispatch Update - 2017 Subscriber Gift (Was '2017 Subscription Gift Announced')

On 1/30/2018 at 2:20 PM, james busick said:

Fair enough point.  I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that many/most people listen to much/most of their music from a mobile device with earbuds these days.  With that setup, studies have found that the difference between mp3 and the lossless formats is undetectable to the vast majority of human ears.

I don't think that study took into account the difference between those who grew up listening to vinyl and then cds versus those who came of age in the mp3 era.  I can tell the difference immediately.  Even on Youtube, I'm searching for a higher quality sounding video or performance or song for at least half of what I seek.  That being said, I'm listening to older as well as newer stuff.

3 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I don't think that study took into account the difference between those who grew up listening to vinyl and then cds versus those who came of age in the mp3 era.  I can tell the difference immediately.  Even on Youtube, I'm searching for a higher quality sounding video or performance or song for at least half of what I seek.  That being said, I'm listening to older as well as newer stuff.

Fully agreed. I can hear the difference as plain as day.

I'm convinced that those who claim they can't hear a difference at all either have compromised hearing and/or attention spans. Or, they are just so used to compressed sound through lousy earbuds so much that they think that's the way music is supposed to sound (a true tragedy). If you listen to uncompressed (or at least, less compressed) sound with proper speakers or headphones, the difference is profound.

I am desperately trying to find my old turntable  It was a Dual from West Germany.  I don't want to have a buy a new one.  We listened to vinyl at Christmas.  There's that extra oomph when the needle hits.  Either a person hears it or not, I've noticed.  I've still got my 45 of Don't Let The Sun Go Down on Me, among others.  I paid 149 pennies for it.  I was so small I didn't know the poor lady would have to count them, but they were patient.  A digital single is 20 cents less today.  The math speaks for itself.  I wish vinyl was less today.  :(

Wish I could hear the sound quality but I'm still bloody waiting for last year's gift to arrive? this whole episode is a disgrace, and I won't be renewing my subscription. U2 obviously don't need lifelong fans anymore. Just hope new subscribers get treated better but I wouldn't hold out much hope, its all about the money now. Pretty sure plenty more disgruntled fans out there just a pity my association with U2 will have to end this way. 

12 hours ago, flashmanbrum said:

Pretty sure plenty more disgruntled fans out there just a pity my association with U2 will have to end this way.

I did some research and there is a guy from Live Nation who is promoting this tour.  It was the first one to use the Verified Fan thing and have people link fan club accounts with Ticketmaster accounts.  He dropped the ball.  I don't think it was the band.  I also think that a huge amount of people joined this website, as paying members, this past year for the presale(s).  There were two presales...one for TJT and now EI.  We've never had that before...two presales in one year with two different tours.  They ran out of the 45s, which are the gift for this past year.  It seems demand outweighed supply and they did not print enough of them.  So what? (That is a rhetorical question-not a dig at your frustration.)  Once people started asking about the delay...the mods posted the information only to have more and more people asking without reading what the mods posted several times.  It's easy to miss reading something,  I've done it many times.  However, the info about the gifts was posted ASAP.  I don't think the delay was intentional or them not caring.

I know it can be frustrating, however; Live Nation is responsible for promoting this tour and the presale.  Ticketmaster is not even to blame. I've read a bunch of different sources.  I've asked many people who work in ticketing.  They all said it is on the promoter, not Ticketmaster, and certainly not the band. I'm not defending Ticketmaster. I was told they take all the crap and will not tell anyone it's someone else who is to blame.  It is the man from/and Live Nation who caused the presale debacles.  They still don't have it sorted out and it is months later.  Blaming the band is silly.  Why would they not care about us?  It makes no sense.  Do you really need those 45s so badly that you want to leave this all with a bad taste in your mouth?  Maybe let it settle, get the 45s and see how awesome the shows are before you come to any decisions?  They've always made up for their mistakes in the past. They've openly admitted them and taken the responsibility without passing the buck.   I say give them another shot.  Once these shows start...the tone of this website is going to change. It's already begun for those who are not worried or seriously bummed about their tickets.  I watch and read it every tour.  We are crabby and then we are elated once the tours begin.  I do not believe that U2 cares more about money than they do the fans.

So its now 44 week since i re-subscribed last year and still waiting on my JT gift - totally unacceptable!!!

4 hours ago, jfreel said:

So its now 44 week since i re-subscribed last year and still waiting on my JT gift - totally unacceptable!!!

They just announced the 2018 Subscriber's gift-a bag of sheeet.  At least we won't mind waiting for that one.  

Why is this an issue - surely someone at u2 can push the buttons to get this out to the fans quicker?

On 18/01/2018 at 5:53 PM, Tflyer90 said:

At this point I am just starting to wonder when I should ask for a refund on my non-received item. I paid for something back in January of 2017, it is now January 2018 and I am still waiting for the singles. If I ordered these from any store that was the same caliber that U2 is as a band I would have a FULL refund at this point (not to mention my item already). There really is no excuse to deliver the singles to some of the people who ordered them all over the world and not others. Systematically it makes no sense for them to say they had a limited number which they ran out of and the length you've been a subscriber had nothing to do with who they sent them to. What did they do randomly pick names out of a hat when they realized they were short stocked? It's ridiculous! I had the same issues when I ordered the JT30 set and they told me it was delayed because they ran out of the stock and had to order more! How can you continue to make the same errors over and over?!?!!!

Maybe they're (meanIng the senders) putting the items on discogs - secondary sales - like they do with tickets LOL....

I can't believe this is still on going, I've still not received mine and certainly won't be paying anymore money to this badly run business.  It's alright people saying its not the band's fault but its there name at the top of the page. Surely this whole fiasco could and should have been sorted a long,long,long time ago. They are certainly quick enough in reminding us our subscription needed renewing and taking the money. It's about time someone took ownership of the problem and sorted it out. For those of you who have already resubscribed lets hope whatever the gift is that you receive it before 2020. I'm going to enjoy the U2 concert in October but it will be the last one as I feel let down by a band I've followed for years and spent my hard earned money going to see and buy there albums etc. They obviously don't need loyal fans anymore.

I sent another email this is the 3rd but this time I asked for a refund as I didn't get what I paid for,guess what I got the same email they sent the last time word for word telling me they will start shipping in February,if they get another batch in.

so the only thing I can take out of this shambles is  that there are an enormous amount of un satisfied customers who have sent emails which are not being read but a standard reply is just being sent out.

Well I m now 56 weeks in since I subscribed , I can understand that the gifts couldn’t be sent until after the actual live concerts but even still it’s not rocket science, at cut off point 1 say September we have X thousand subscribers who have redeemed so order that amount at the press, simple as.....I could understand recent subscribers say after September not getting theirs yet, to not have even had something despatched in 56 weeks is a disgrace, and interesting when feb becomes April, may, or even later.

CD's are going away...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/best-buy-is-pulling-cds-from-stores-and-people-are-freaking-out/ar-BBIK9Ej?li=BBnb7Kz

If you care about the art of the liner note and are a believer in a tangible, physical format, go out and invest $100 in a decent turntable!

If you're happy with soulless digital files, I support your requests also, though.  :)

On 5/11/2017 at 3:17 PM, CorkVegan said:

Have you listened to music on vinyl? If not do yourself a favour and try it if you can.

It really is superior to digital no question. Sure there may be some pops here and there but it's a small drawback considering the fuller sound you experience.

I'm very excited about this gift. Ideally I'd prefer the downloads to be in FLAC but you can't always get what you want.

Agreed. I think anyone who doesn't think vinyl sounds as good, must have been listening to one of those 90's albums "released on vinyl for the first time" that was just basically pressed from a recording of the CD. Either that or they need a better sound system... 

Anyone who hasn't put the headphones on, dropped the needle, and kicked back with an open gatefold and liner notes you can read without a magnigying glass hasn't truly lived (IMHO)  :P

On 5/4/2017 at 8:49 AM, Musicality said:

Vinyl will never sound as good as music on digital formats. With that in mind, this gift is crap, given that most people don't have turntables.

Regardless of the apparent success of Record Store Day, vinyl sales make up 5% of the albums market, which is tiny.

if you don't have a turntable, how can you say that?

On 2/5/2018 at 2:02 AM, Manohlive said:

I did some research and there is a guy from Live Nation who is promoting this tour.  It was the first one to use the Verified Fan thing and have people link fan club accounts with Ticketmaster accounts.  He dropped the ball.  I don't think it was the band.  I also think that a huge amount of people joined this website, as paying members, this past year for the presale(s).  There were two presales...one for TJT and now EI.  We've never had that before...two presales in one year with two different tours.  They ran out of the 45s, which are the gift for this past year.  It seems demand outweighed supply and they did not print enough of them.  So what? (That is a rhetorical question-not a dig at your frustration.)  Once people started asking about the delay...the mods posted the information only to have more and more people asking without reading what the mods posted several times.  It's easy to miss reading something,  I've done it many times.  However, the info about the gifts was posted ASAP.  I don't think the delay was intentional or them not caring.

I know it can be frustrating, however; Live Nation is responsible for promoting this tour and the presale.  Ticketmaster is not even to blame. I've read a bunch of different sources.  I've asked many people who work in ticketing.  They all said it is on the promoter, not Ticketmaster, and certainly not the band. I'm not defending Ticketmaster. I was told they take all the crap and will not tell anyone it's someone else who is to blame.  It is the man from/and Live Nation who caused the presale debacles.  They still don't have it sorted out and it is months later.  Blaming the band is silly.  Why would they not care about us?  It makes no sense.  Do you really need those 45s so badly that you want to leave this all with a bad taste in your mouth?  Maybe let it settle, get the 45s and see how awesome the shows are before you come to any decisions?  They've always made up for their mistakes in the past. They've openly admitted them and taken the responsibility without passing the buck.   I say give them another shot.  Once these shows start...the tone of this website is going to change. It's already begun for those who are not worried or seriously bummed about their tickets.  I watch and read it every tour.  We are crabby and then we are elated once the tours begin.  I do not believe that U2 cares more about money than they do the fans.

:D

The only thing the band can be faulted for here is signing the deal with Live Nation. Now Live Nation promotes the shows, and as the parent company of Ticketmaster, handles ticketing, as well as all merch for U2 and, while I'm not 100% sure of this, they run u2.com also (see very bottom of u2.com home page), which would include subscriber gift.

So... Live Nation should be the source of all angst, not the band directly.  Just sayin'

It's now February 2018 and I have yet to receive the vinyl singles that were part of the January 2017 package. What's going on?

3 minutes ago, vertigojds said:

It's now February 2018 and I have yet to receive the vinyl singles that were part of the January 2017 package. What's going on?

from u2.com:

UPDATE JANUARY 2018
Following dispatch of initial orders in December, there were unexpected delays in production of the four 10” discs of The Joshua Tree Singles Vinyl Collection: 1987 & 2017. Production is now underway again and dispatch will resume in early February. We’ll email you as soon as your copy hits the post so that you know when to expect it. 

It's frustrating, I know...

Thanks for sharing that. 

At the least, it would have been nice if the fanclub emailed that information directly to subscribers. 

If you place an order from, say, Ticketmaster or Amazon and your order is delayed, they'll email you to let you know. It would be nice if the fanclub extended the same courtesy to paying members. 

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 2:02 AM, Manohlive said:

Even if all of this is true, it STILL does NOT explain the fact that Bono, Edge, Larry or Adam has not made any type of statement to their fans(none I've seen or heard of anyway). I'm not just talking about the issue of not getting our gifts, but mainly about the HORROR of the presale codes not given in time to be able to use them. The US presales were a DISSASTER!!!!!! And it looks like some of the European were as well. They had plenty of time to fix the problem. I always thought the 'boys' truly cared about us. But I'm beginning to wonder where their loyalty is at the moment. I've been in the fan club for 30 years and it's just NOT the way things have been handled in the past. With that said, I'm still hoping more dates will be added in the US and I will be able to see them again. With the prices soaring I just won't be able to see multiple shows(she says with a VERY sad face).

2 hours ago, u2rone said:

it STILL does NOT explain the fact that Bono, Edge, Larry or Adam has not made any type of statement to their fans(none I've seen or heard of anyway

I agree.  The only thing I can discern is maybe they are waiting for the presales to end before they address things.  These presales are still a mess, as you stated.  Maybe they're really busy rehearsing for the tour and don't let this stuff filter through to them while preparing for a tour.  Perhaps this or that. I don't know.  All I can do is guess based on the little we do know.  It seems very out of character for this band to let all this go and not address it.  I'm still waiting to see what they do. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.  I have been a member for a long time, too.  I still think Prop people should get first go at anything, however; it seems to be a lost cause.  Now I'm listed as joining in 2009 and it riles me.  I completely understand how you feel.  It's nice to hear from someone else who has been with them for decades.  I'm not negating new members.  It irritates me that Prop gets negated, because we were the first.  That being said, we obviously decided to stick with them.  I'm still waiting to see how they address all of this. 

I think it important to separate and start taking these promoters to task because they are making a lot of money.  It's time promoters start taking responsibility for their actions.  I think the only way that's ever going to happen is if we call them out on it and raise our voices collectively.

4 hours ago, gpmalecki said:

If you care about the art of the liner note and are a believer in a tangible, physical format, go out and invest $100 in a decent turntable!

If you're happy with soulless digital files, I support your requests also, though.  :)

3 hours ago, gpmalecki said:

Agreed. I think anyone who doesn't think vinyl sounds as good, must have been listening to one of those 90's albums "released on vinyl for the first time" that was just basically pressed from a recording of the CD. Either that or they need a better sound system... 

Anyone who hasn't put the headphones on, dropped the needle, and kicked back with an open gatefold and liner notes you can read without a magnigying glass hasn't truly lived (IMHO)  :P

Yeah, I'm bored enough to bite on this topic further! :D

If you like vinyl, that's great! It does seem to be the "in" thing at the moment...

HOWEVER, there are advantages to CDs (and digital, if we're talking about lossless or WAV downloads, NOT mp3s) :

1) No static - some people have a romantic attachment to snap, crackle, and pop; they can indeed be pleasing sounds. However, if I really want to hear them, I'll just have a bowl of Rice Krispies...

2) No flipping over a disk half-way through an album - this is the major advantage, IMHO. You can hear an album that was meant to be a whole (in most cases) in one sitting.

3) True portability - CDs and digital can be played virtually anywhere. I have yet to see a turntable for a car or an "iTurntable" that one can use while walking, exercising, etc. (If they made one though, think of how quickly your arms would grow really strong!)

4) (Semi-)permanence - the simple fact is that, since there is physical contact between a record needle and the vinyl itself, the vinyl does begin to wear out with each and every playing. That never happens with CDs/digital. Yes, if you go fully digital, a hard-drive crash can ruin your world, but it can also be recovered with a little fore-planning. Of course, streaming services being all the rage right now, you don't even have to worry about storage (but you're probably listening to crappy mp3s, so there's a trade-off there).

What I really have been liking over the past 10 - 15 years are the deluxe boxsets for albums, like those for AB and JT. They have full album-sized graphics, if you like the romance of having something tangible to hold while listening to the music. And, you get all those great extras. Best of both worlds really...

Now, before you think that I don't appreciate vinyl because I'm "age-challenged", so to speak, I can assure you that I'm not. :) I was one of those in the 80s who traded in his very bulky vinyl collection to have CDs instead. Yes, there is a bit lost in the artwork department, but you still have it if that is important to you with CDs - squinting isn't that hard. ;) The no-visuals-at-all argument against digital I agree with; thus, my preference for CDs (i.e., at least you still have some artwork).

The cost of a good turntable is usually more than $100. If you get one that is portable, you only have mono sound (unless it's a really souped-up portable one). If you get a turntable, that is just step one, unless you are always going to listen to your vinyl on headphones. If you want to hear it out loud, then you need an amplifier and proper speakers as well - both are several hundred dollars each.

And, then there's the cost of new vinyl albums today as well. For example, if I wanted SOI from the U2.com shop, I would be charged $12.99. If I want the same album on vinyl, it's $34.99. This is not an isolated occurrence. New vinyl today is more expensive than CDs were even when it was a new medium back in the 80s! This is my major objection to vinyl today - the albums are just too expensive.

So, if you like vinyl, good for you! BUT, if you don't, you have very compelling arguments for your position as well. :)