Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

paoladegliesposti

Achtung Baby: why?

8 hours ago, BigBunny said:

I knew why it was cut, it's just such a shame as the edit is so obvious on the vhs/dvd. Edge goes from being onstage (I think he's singing Numb?) the next moment he's taking a ride on the ZOO TV camera :blink: talk about a magic trick.

this is the first time I've seen this footage live, 2018... only 24 years since I got the vhs :Zoo_Dish: better late than never ;)

Yes - I understand why it was cut on the VHS too; however, when the DVD was released, the "controversy" had long since passed - PUT THE SONG BACK IN!

The same problem happens with the "Send In The Clowns" section during "The Electric Co." on the "Live At Red Rocks" show. The original VHS kept the section in (by excluding "The Electric Co." on the packaging setlist - clever idea that... ;) - however, on the DVD, they cut it due to a royalty being due if it had stayed in. Two problems there: 1) Why are the original publishing-rights holders being so anal-retentive about "Send In The Clowns"? U2's including that bit increases the profile of the song which would invariably bring in more sales for it later. 2) If the royalty demand can't be dismissed, why doesn't U2 just pay it? It can't be that much. With the edit, Bono leaves the stage and mystically comes back moments later to rousing applause - what exactly is the crowd cheering? A successful bathroom break? Why we aren't allowed to know on the DVD version that the crowd is so pumped because Bono had just come back from climbing to the top of the stage to sing the "Send In The Clowns" section is just annoying... PUT IT BACK IN!

Maybe BluRay releases in the future will fix these needless problems. One hopes anyway...

1 hour ago, dmway said:

Yes - I understand why it was cut on the VHS too; however, when the DVD was released, the "controversy" had long since passed - PUT THE SONG BACK IN!

The same problem happens with the "Send In The Clowns" section during "The Electric Co." on the "Live At Red Rocks" show. The original VHS kept the section in (by excluding "The Electric Co." on the packaging setlist - clever idea that... ;) - however, on the DVD, they cut it due to a royalty being due if it had stayed in. Two problems there: 1) Why are the original publishing-rights holders being so anal-retentive about "Send In The Clowns"? U2's including that bit increases the profile of the song which would invariably bring in more sales for it later. 2) If the royalty demand can't be dismissed, why doesn't U2 just pay it? It can't be that much. With the edit, Bono leaves the stage and mystically comes back moments later to rousing applause - what exactly is the crowd cheering? A successful bathroom break? Why we aren't allowed to know on the DVD version that the crowd is so pumped because Bono had just come back from climbing to the top of the stage to sing the "Send In The Clowns" section is just annoying... PUT IT BACK IN!

Maybe BluRay releases in the future will fix these needless problems. One hopes anyway...

Royalty money might not be the problem. It could be that the copyright holder of “Send in the Clowns “ just doesn’t want the song included in the DVD and won’t change his mind for any amount of money, so U2 either has to put out a choppy DVD or get sued for using the song without permission. Copyright is a minefield.

2 hours ago, dmway said:

I haven't seen Red Rocks in ages. I did have the vhs in the early 90's but I can't remember seeing Bono climb anywhere?

10 hours ago, Europa_Thomas said:

Royalty money might not be the problem. It could be that the copyright holder of “Send in the Clowns “ just doesn’t want the song included in the DVD and won’t change his mind for any amount of money, so U2 either has to put out a choppy DVD or get sued for using the song without permission. Copyright is a minefield.

I have actually heard that before. I wonder why it made the cut in the original VHS version then - surely it would have been just as problematic back then...

9 hours ago, BigBunny said:

I haven't seen Red Rocks in ages. I did have the vhs in the early 90's but I can't remember seeing Bono climb anywhere?

Well, Bono was notorious for scaling parts of the stage in U2's early career - so much so that they rest of the band started taking him to task for it! :D

Yes, he does actually go on top of the stage roof while Edge is playing his solo (it isn't shown) - the thing is he doesn't even sing the actual lyrics of the song either. He just compliments the crowd to the tune of "Send In The Clowns" - this of course makes the omission even sillier.

Check out about 3 1/2 minutes into this clip:

7 hours ago, dmway said:

Well, Bono was notorious for scaling parts of the stage in U2's early career - so much so that they rest of the band started taking him to task for it! :D

Yes, he does actually go on top of the stage roof while Edge is playing his solo (it isn't shown) - the thing is he doesn't even sing the actual lyrics of the song either. He just compliments the crowd to the tune of "Send In The Clowns" - this of course makes the omission even sillier.

Hahah, I can just picture the guy’s lecturing their crazy front man:

Edge: Amps? Check

Adam: Lights? Check 

Bono: Microphones: Check 

Larry: Helmet? Check 

Bono: Helmet?

Larry: Yeah, we don’t want you spilling your brains all over the stage if you lose your grip 

Bono: OK, “Dad.” (Takes helmet without much enthusiasm, but puts it on. But when he climbs the rigging, he strips off the helmet and tosses it into the audience for a big finish, and the lucky girl who catches it treasures it, wears it to every U2 concert and uses it to teach her kids about U2’s awesomeness.)

8 hours ago, dmway said:

I have actually heard that before. I wonder why it made the cut in the original VHS version then - surely it would have been just as problematic back then...

I didn’t know it was in the video copy, and in that case, I’ As mystified about the cut as you.

9 hours ago, dmway said:

thanks for posting that video. from memory I don't remember him going on the roof. I bought the vhs in 1992 maybe? I don't have the dvd of it. 

I think they are a bit harsh with the copyright for 'Send In The Clown' because Bono just sings a snippet of the melody and he changed the words to "I love this crowd" B)

Achtung baby is easily my favourite album. Listening to it now, it doesn't sound dated which is testament to it.

When I went away to university in 96 it was the only U2 album on the duke box. So I used to always pick so cruel as it was the longest song. Love that song and would love to hear it live. I love the version of Bono singing it at Hansa for the from sky down video.

Would love a 30 year tour with the same staging.

3 hours ago, Europa_Thomas said:

I didn’t know it was in the video copy, and in that case, I’m as mystified about the cut as you.

Yes - it was really befuddling because everyone who had ever seen that show on MTV (it was on ALL THE TIME back when the concert was recent) knows that scene very well - it's one of the visual (and musical) highlights of the show. In fact, irony of ironies, the picture on the front cover of the VHS and DVD (and CD/cassette/vinyl) of "Under A Blood Red Sky" is from this very part of the song! :D

Well, maybe we'll be able to have it again someday...

1 hour ago, jonno77 said:

Achtung baby is easily my favourite album. Listening to it now, it doesn't sound dated which is testament to it.

When I went away to university in 96 it was the only U2 album on the duke box. So I used to always pick so cruel as it was the longest song. Love that song and would love to hear it live. I love the version of Bono singing it at Hansa for the from sky down video.

Would love a 30 year tour with the same staging.

This was discussed on another thread, but I hope for the same thing. I have no idea if they would even consider it, but, with the success of the JT anniversary tour, the other top-selling album that sounds great from start to finish and would also sound great played in its entirety live would be AB.

They never played all of JT live back when it was a new album, nor did they play all of AB during ZooTV (but on some legs on that tour they did get close - but never start to finish); I think they would find the same positive reception for AB all the way through as they got for JT last year. In any case, I hope they are at least considering it as a possibility for their next tour or two after SOE.

Yeah I agree, I think it would be really well received. Doubt they'll do it tho - their touring schedule has been aggressive with 3 tours in 3 years. And if rumours are to believed next is songs of ascent which they'll tour.

Saying that though prior to I&E they were taking 3-4 year breaks after each tour since zoo. So take 3 year break, 2021 and 30 years, so fingers crossed.

13 hours ago, Grande 3:16 said:

Didn't they have to pay a whopping fine back in the day for Send In The Clowns?

I read it was 50 grand. back in 1983 that would've been a "smack in the mouth and it all went south" heh.gif.dc500ce3b07c62085df6ac404797ddd8.gif

Back to the original post/question - very simply for me it was THE album that got me into U2, The Fly completely blew my head off. At a time when I 'knew' U2, had the Joshua Tree and Unforgettable Fire, that took it all to another level. Such a different sound. Not just to TJT but to EVERYTHING else around at the time, new, fresh, exciting. Bono's personas on the tour, Zooropa sweeping in as an icing on the cake - how can a band reinvent themselves like that?!. Boom. Cha. Just a phenomenal time for the band, and for me :-). I've seen them 20 times live...but never caught the Zoo! I am going to be ecstatic if they play an AB tour a la JT2017!!!

On 11/23/2017 at 12:44 AM, paoladegliesposti said:

For me this is one of the best song of the album. Lyrics are a clear photograph of the described era. Thank U2 For this true song!

Squeeze the handle, blow out the candle.

Thank you for posting!

1 minute ago, Stellaria said:

U2 generally, and this song specifically, is a major reason I'm a follower of Christ. Because of U2's faithfulness to sing truth, I get to go to Heaven and live forever. I've seen many posts in recent days from folks attributing their faith to Billy Graham (who just passed). It is estimated he personally spoke to over 210 million people. How many have U2 reached? And how many have heard and believed because of it? Just thinking out loud here.

Much love to you all!

U2 have reached me spiritually too. I didn’t convert because of them, but when I struggled with my faith, God reached out to me through U2, my favorite band, and saved me from despair.God bless U2, Billy Graham (RIP), and everyone who believes because of them.

You all talking about ACHTUNG BABY has made me put on the cd again. This is against my routine, because when a new U2 cd is out I usually only listen to the new stuff. It is so difficult to learn to appreciate a new U2 cd for me when I keep comparing it to the older stuff. But I am very thankful you all start talking about ACHTUNG BABY AGAIN, because with all of your inspiring posts about ACHTUNG BABY these magnificent feelings inside of me keep rising up! Because I LOVED and I still LOVE ACHTUNG BABY so much!!!

This forum works really like a time travel machine sometimes with wonderful memories flowing to the top again... Thinking back when ACHTUNG BABY was first released I recall it was an exhiliariting time for U2 fans. I have never in my life waited with more longing for a record release than that of ACHTUNG BABY. I still remember where I was ( in my run down student dump) when I first heard The Fly. Fortunately my student room was in an attic, without neighbours, so I could play The Fly at full volume, which I did hundreds of times. To be honest, ACHTUNG BABY is the ONLY U2 cd of which I lIke EVERY song. And I will only play it in the perfect order it is.

I want to thank the original poster of this ACHTUNG BABY thread. I really get enthused now about thinking why we cant make a seperate forum item for EVERY U2 cd. Every U2 fan has its own fondest U2 memories starting with some of the many U2 cd's. For me it really started with the Joshua Tree, but my love for U2 actually exploded with ACHTUNG BABY.  All my teenage frustrations had found a way to free themselves through singing out loud the lyrics of ACHTUNG BABY.

Oh how I wish U2 could pull another one of like ACHTUNG BABY....