bigwave

U2.com 2018 Subscription FAQ Thread

2 minutes ago, dmway said:

Agreed. MANY more shows will be added.

Just looking at the second half of the tour from Montreal to Newark, they play a show, then the next show is four days later. It follows this pattern all the way until the end. There is no way they are only playing 7 shows in 25 days (counting inclusively) in this relatively small part of North America (i.e., Southern Quebec/Ontario to Washington, D.C.). Every concert announced so far during this part of the tour will very likely have a second date at/near the ones currently announced - MSG will very likely have two more. If I were a betting person, June 23 or 30 would be a very likely 'Saturday Night Live' appearance.

Just keep your eyes open...

Saturday Night Live wraps up the season in May, so more likely Jimmy Fallon if he is working that week.

53 minutes ago, kseguin said:

People have to realize that the E&I tour, so far, is a small tour.  15 shows announced so far.  Tickets are in HIGH demand.  On the I&E tour, between London and NYC there were more shows than the E&I tour (so far).

Last time in NYC there were 8 shows, so you have an 8 times better chance of the tickets you wanted.

Let's all sit back and hope for more shows being announcec.

I think this was a tes tof teh VF system, did not go so well.  They will ahve to tweak TM's VF algorithm and maybe there are some reasons that people did not get codes.

I understand what you’re getting at, but the reality is that tickets are still available in the presales for the limited shows announced so far.  The initial shows of each city should always favor the Experienced group.  The sad fact is that there are Innoncence members out there who became a member in the last few minutes before registration closed that have presale tickets while Propaganda-era Experienced members did not even get a code.  Damn, not even a code.  Think about that.  Forget about getting the tickets with the code.  They didn’t even get a code.  Wow.  Just wow.  

• Upvote 1

I have never had a presale ticket purchase issue ever....I have always been able to buy a ticket using my code during presale...until now, I was in experience group, which ifelt lucky to have....tried for GA's for 1 show (DC) and at 10am there were no tickets....never ever, all day...that is some kind of bullshit!! so, I do not have a ticket even with the experience code

3 hours ago, u2fan1019 said:

did they make you go to will call to pick up your ticket? 

The day of the show they had a small tent table set up outside the stadium, not sure how they do it for arena shows. 

I don't blame the band. 

I blame the scalpers who caused the band to go in this direction. I blame Live Nation and TM for being greedy. I have been a life long fan and a long time member. I did not get tickets today. While I know I can probably get tickets during the general sale, and that I can use my codes for any possible added dates (Chicago), I'm honestly done. I will no longer renew my membership. 

This band is my church. Right now I feel like my church has abandoned me. 

And that breaks my heart. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, dmway said:

Agreed. MANY more shows will be added.

Just looking at the second half of the tour from Montreal to Newark, they play a show, then the next show is four days later. It follows this pattern all the way until the end. There is no way they are only playing 7 shows in 25 days (counting inclusively) in this relatively small part of North America (i.e., Southern Quebec/Ontario to Washington, D.C.). Every concert announced so far during this part of the tour will very likely have a second date at/near the ones currently announced - MSG will very likely have two more. If I were a betting person, June 23 or 30 would be a very likely 'Saturday Night Live' appearance.

Just keep your eyes open...

2 hours ago, Chrisshroyer said:

Saturday Night Live wraps up the season in May, so more likely Jimmy Fallon if he is working that week.

Ah! I forgot about that! Indeed - Fallon will have them on again (and always) in a heartbeat. :)

I am sorry to hear people missed out due to technical glitches etc, but I am guessing even having a code doesn’t guarantee a ticket…doesn’t it just make you more competitive?  Surely even with a code, does the demand outweigh the availability? Genuinely no idea about this because the last time I saw U2 was before the days of the presales and they NEVER come to the region where I live!  It seems sensible to offer a refund to people who missed out because of a technical glitch - new things are being tried here and there will be bugs to iron out, so to say it is just a money making exercise could be considered a bit unfair.   I equate joining up to get in the presales to paying a bit like paying more for a lotto ticket with a couple of extra numbers - at the end of the day it is a choice and if successful the reward outweighs the risk . 

On a different note, after seeing Zootopia going “to have a bit of a lie down”, I took a moment to reflect and asked myself what I would miss if U2.com wasn’t there.  Why do I even pay a subscription fee?  Personally, there is more on offer here than a ticket code. If you read above, I clearly don't pay for the presales.  The subscription gifts (I tend not to buy deluxe anything because my kids tend to suck all my disposable income right out of me) are nice and usually pretty good quality.  I also pay to meet people in the forums and have some fun with cartooning and bad puns.  Of course I also pay because it gives me a chance to get a ticket if (a big if) the band decides to ever visit this part of the world – that is a bonus.  I am not lucky enough to have seen 60+ shows in my 35-ish years as a fan (someone on social media was complaining on missing out having seen 66 shows over a similar time period..and saying she deserved better from the band.  66 shows!!! wow!), so perhaps I am more used to missing out and can keep perspective.  For me the subscription is a cool way of somehow getting closer to the buzz without actually being there – get together with like-minded people who gather in a (cyber)space and enjoy it all together.   I applaud the Zootopia mods, who do a great job in organizing the live feeds when a show is on, and for all the work they put into the community – it is pretty cool really and I am very grateful for it.  So for me, the subscription is valuable even without the presale.  If the fun runs out and I choose not to pay, then I will probably end up spending that money on Lego, which I would end up standing on in the middle of the night when i go check on the kids.   Clearly I think U2.com is money better spent!

• Confused 1

I love how the fans are hearing nothing but crickets from the band and the management......maybe it’s time for an apology to the die hard fans who were boned by this presale. Took my money, promised me a code and then oops. ? way to keep the tickets out of the hands of fans! 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Chrisshroyer said:

I did RedZone for TJT and it was well worth it.  There is a special spot to pick up your RedZone stuff.  However, it goes to Will Call if you don't pick it up by a certain time.  I did GA this time for the LA show in May  I think the stage set up is the same for I&E and I think somewhere in the middle was better place to be when i had GA for those shows at the Forum in 2015.  They spend a lot of time on the b-stage and on the catwalk and in the cage/video screen thing.  So glad Lakers/Clippers/Kings have them at the Forum.  It's smaller and a great arena.  

Yep GA for the Forum is perfect. I also did it for I&E and it was fine. I arrived not so early and head a great position very close to the catwalk. I think Red Zone is a rip. Maybe worth for TJT but for smaller arenas not worth it unless you have the money to burn.

• Like 1

By the way, I am sure more shows will be added. For the LA show they are happening with  11 days between Las Vegas and Chicago. So for sure LA will have at least two more shows added. I just don't understand why they just announced one show for the big markets.

They know tickets will be sold out quickly. So why not have more shows already planned so people can make their plans in advance. The LA show is o a Tuesday but I would rather go for a Friday or weekend. 

2 hours ago, U2Girl1966 said:

I don't blame the band. 

I blame the scalpers who caused the band to go in this direction. I blame Live Nation and TM for being greedy. I have been a life long fan and a long time member. I did not get tickets today. While I know I can probably get tickets during the general sale, and that I can use my codes for any possible added dates (Chicago), I'm honestly done. I will no longer renew my membership. 

Your thoughts sum up my own for the most part.

The one notable exception is I absolutely do blame the band. You can’t be the “biggest band in the world” and allow this debacle. Did U2 suddenly become meek? Does their influence hold no sway? They couldn’t say no to any of this?

The responsibility for this is U2’s in my eyes, and their silence thus far is disgraceful. They have no problem sounding off about everything else in the world.

Where are they now? No sort of announcement or statement here. On Twitter? Anywhere? Like I said disgraceful. This is the kind of thing they drag others over the coals for. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jfp612 said:

The one notable exception is I absolutely do blame the band. You can’t be the “biggest band in the world” and allow this debacle. Did U2 suddenly become meek? Does their influence hold no sway? They couldn’t say no to any of this?

The responsibility for this is U2’s in my eyes, and their silence thus far is disgraceful. They have no problem sounding off about everything else in the world.

Where are they now? No sort of announcement or statement here. On Twitter? Anywhere? Like I said disgraceful. This is the kind of thing they drag others over the coals for. 

This post is a bit off. If you really think that the band members themselves are or should be responsible for their own ticket sales, that's just not understanding the basic ways bands that reach the level of U2 operate.

When bands get beyond local bar-band stage, you get proper management - in fact, that's why management exists in the first place, i.e., to take care of the nuts-and-bolts of the business end of things so that the band can concentrate on their music (in the studio and a live setting). They will be involved at a distance, in a broad-brushstroke kind of way, but not in day-to-day operations. And, frankly, that's the way it should be.

U2Girl1966 is exactly right - LiveNation and/or Ticketmaster are to blame here. Like many U2 fans, I was apprehensive when Paul McGuinness was no longer the manager and LiveNation took over - I feared that things just like this might happen, i.e., their business end would become more impersonally corporate. And they have to a degree.

I'm still impressed that the website is as responsive as it is - the moderators have to take all of the venting, both fair and unfair, even when they aren't responsible for the problems and often can't directly do anything to fix the problems. The reason they take it is that they are U2 fans like the rest of us.

Now, I remember quite clearly when Larry himself apologized to the fans on-stage at the Grammys about the pre-sale fiasco at the beginning of the Vertigo tour. The band was not responsible for that - evil, bot-planting hackers were - but Larry spoke out in a very public setting to apologize. He didn't have to do that.

If the band finds out about what has happened so far, they may very well speak out about it. I'd applaud them for doing so, but I certainly would never condemn them for not doing so. It's not in their wheelhouse; it IS in LiveNation's and/or Ticketmaster's, though. If neither of them say anything, they should be roundly criticized.

Finally, about their "sounding off about everything else in the world" - I don't think that a pre-sale snafu rises to the level of something like genocide in Myanmar. The band has every right to air grievances about a leader they lobbied very hard for for years, especially when the silence there is so disturbing and disappointing. There will be more dates for their tour and those who haven't gotten tickets yet will have more opportunities to get tickets. There are plenty of places to lay blame for the ticket sales so far, but the band certainly doesn't deserve any.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, U2Girl1966 said:

I don't blame the band. 

Agreed. The band can only do so much. They don't control infrastructure or make policy. But this is a bit of a black eye for them. I also blame Live Nation and TM. These guys are lame. We're talking one of the biggest bands in the world, selling what a very limited and high demand product, and this is how it's sold. Totally lame.

Hope springs eternal, so I will wait for more news.

4 hours ago, edge2u said:

I understand what you’re getting at, but the reality is that tickets are still available in the presales for the limited shows announced so far.  The initial shows of each city should always favor the Experienced group.  The sad fact is that there are Innoncence members out there who became a member in the last few minutes before registration closed that have presale tickets while Propaganda-era Experienced members did not even get a code.  Damn, not even a code.  Think about that.  Forget about getting the tickets with the code.  They didn’t even get a code.  Wow.  Just wow.  

Yeah, I didn't get a code. Stared stupidly at the screen wondering what to do next. Tried calling TM's toll-free number, no luck. Confirmed my account was set up correctly, check. Confirmed my mobile number was correct. It's 10:23 pm here in S.F. and no code, no email, even though I used the Help link provided by the Mods.  Nothing. Not even a general email apologizing to those who didn't get a code.  The sad part is, I don't expect one. These guys suck they same way certain large corporations suck.  They're the only game in town and they know we know it. 

10 hours ago, 504jumper said:

love_and_light, I'm right there with you. I didn't even get a code, so couldn't buy tickets. I suspect that even if I did, my experience would be much like yours and others in this forum. I gave up trying to figure out what was going with my code (or lack of it) and have also resigned to the fact, that I might miss e+i 2018. I know there is still a change that I'll get tickets, so try again on Monday. Again, I'm not hopeful.

I saw JT once at Levi's Stadium and consider myself lucky to have gone.  i+e 2015 was a great tour and I was fortunate enough to have good seats.

Alas, my heart is breaking, too. Trying to get U2 tickets is one of the very few things in life that gives me a little anxiety. This time around was pretty stressful and ultimately disappointing.

I still love our lads from Dublin, but this time around I may have to watch them from afar. 

Thanks for sharing too... Here we are,, ticket-less... fans that have made the band and their music a huge part of our daily lives., I'm happy I have though, I believe I'm a better person because of them:) Glad you saw them in Santa Clara, I saw a few shows as well....amazing times! I'm in LA so I hope new dates are added here, and in other cities.

I just tried again and now it's telling me my code in invalid... I wonder if it got stolen? Oh well... I'll be meditating on the moment of surrender:)

Peace!

I’m with you as well . I never miss a u2 show but I guess I am this tour and to be completely honest I’m sick of these high priced tickets and all the people who know how to work this system to benefit them self’s . A true fan stands for hours on hours and to be honest it’s not worth it anymore.  I’m 51 years old and the people in charge of the line ups are fans and go to both nights of the show and us normal people have to wait around waiting for guidance while they seen the same show over and over . Pasdenda  line ups were the worst I have seen ever.  The best was the forum it was done by the forum and it was fair to the fans show up and get a wrist band with a number and come back and line up in 3 hours . They should all be like that.

• Like 2

Everyone should stop saying I deserve a ticket because I've been to x shows in my x years of being fans and I spent x buying this and that 

There's no loyalty card

It's not someone fault if born later or started to love the band later

There's no class A and B

Be happy of what you got so far and say thanks to God or whoever you want for the fact 

Let me add a huge thanks to max Mich and bigwave 

They're volunteers not employees

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, monica martino said:

Everyone should stop saying I deserve a ticket because I've been to x shows in my x years of being fans and I spent x buying this and that 

There's no loyalty card

It's not someone fault if born later or started to love the band later

There's no class A and B

Be happy of what you got so far and say thanks to God or whoever you want for the fact 

Let me add a huge thanks to max Mich and bigwave 

They're volunteers not employees

Yep.. All this negativity around the pre-sales is astounding to me.  How did we become such a self-important society that people we feel we are owed something for choosing to spend our money on music, merchandise and fan clubs.  No matter where you look, someone is a bigger, more loyal fan than yourself. Perhaps that person has never had the opportunity or cash to attend a single concert.  Is that person less deserving?  Statements such as “I have been a fan for 30 years and therefore I am owed a code” when you have ultimately chosen to spend your dollars on (let’s face it) yourself….is incomprehensible to me.  I don’t think any of us buy any piece of merchandise or attend a show thinking “There you go boys…enjoy the cash!” as opposed to feeling satisfaction for ourselves. 

Edited by brendo1704
bad english and an overstated point
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, chrissy1967 said:

The day of the show they had a small tent table set up outside the stadium, not sure how they do it for arena shows. 

I had a nice experience with that. When you received Propaganda magazine, there was a flyier with the tour and you had to sign your prefered cities. I choose Elevation Torino 2001 and Barcelona. I was in the italian tent table outside the stadium, I show my ID..., my credit card..and then they say my credit card is not necessary... I ask why, because it was not charged before the show, and they say me that's an invitation!! So what?? they told me I was a huge fan since the Propaganda beginning and they knew I'd attended many  shows with Propaganda system , and organization had decided to invite some few fans that came abroad.. incredible!! isn't it?

now, 'Stranger things' are happening with fans...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dmway said:

This post is a bit off. If you really think that the band members themselves are or should be responsible for their own ticket sales, that's just not understanding the basic ways bands that reach the level of U2 operate.

When bands get beyond local bar-band stage, you get proper management - in fact, that's why management exists in the first place, i.e., to take care of the nuts-and-bolts of the business end of things so that the band can concentrate on their music (in the studio and a live setting). They will be involved at a distance, in a broad-brushstroke kind of way, but not in day-to-day operations. And, frankly, that's the way it should be.

U2Girl1966 is exactly right - LiveNation and/or Ticketmaster are to blame here. Like many U2 fans, I was apprehensive when Paul McGuinness was no longer the manager and LiveNation took over - I feared that things just like this might happen, i.e., their business end would become more impersonally corporate. And they have to a degree.

I'm still impressed that the website is as responsive as it is - the moderators have to take all of the venting, both fair and unfair, even when they aren't responsible for the problems and often can't directly do anything to fix the problems. The reason they take it is that they are U2 fans like the rest of us.

Now, I remember quite clearly when Larry himself apologized to the fans on-stage at the Grammys about the pre-sale fiasco at the beginning of the Vertigo tour. The band was not responsible for that - evil, bot-planting hackers were - but Larry spoke out in a very public setting to apologize. He didn't have to do that.

If the band finds out about what has happened so far, they may very well speak out about it. I'd applaud them for doing so, but I certainly would never condemn them for not doing so. It's not in their wheelhouse; it IS in LiveNation's and/or Ticketmaster's, though. If neither of them say anything, they should be roundly criticized.

Finally, about their "sounding off about everything else in the world" - I don't think that a pre-sale snafu rises to the level of something like genocide in Myanmar. The band has every right to air grievances about a leader they lobbied very hard for for years, especially when the silence there is so disturbing and disappointing. There will be more dates for their tour and those who haven't gotten tickets yet will have more opportunities to get tickets. There are plenty of places to lay blame for the ticket sales so far, but the band certainly doesn't deserve any.

i agree with you completely, except for the part about not condemning them if they don't speak out...didn't the band hire these people ? are we LN, TM or U2 fans ?

2 hours ago, brendo1704 said:

Yep.. All this negativity around the pre-sales is astounding to me.  How did we become such a self-important society that people we feel we are owed something for choosing to spend our money on music, merchandise and fan clubs.  No matter where you look, someone is a bigger, more loyal fan than yourself. Perhaps that person has never had the opportunity or cash to attend a single concert.  Is that person less deserving?  Statements such as “I have been a fan for 30 years and therefore I am owed a code” when you have ultimately chosen to spend your dollars on (let’s face it) yourself….is incomprehensible to me.  I don’t think any of us buy any piece of merchandise or attend a show thinking “There you go boys…enjoy the cash!” as opposed to feeling satisfaction for ourselves. 

No one here is paying $50+ a year for the occasional gift package. You subscribe to a fan club in order to get first access to tickets. I'm sure u2.com is covered somewhere in the legalese of it all, but the general understanding for most fan clubs (and for 3 decades of U2 fandom) is that fan club subscription = early access to tickets. If that's no longer the case, then u2.com should make that abundantly clear. If it's really going to be this poorly executed where most fans can't even get codes let alone use then, then maybe they should quit doing fanclub presales altogether leave the presales for Citi customers, since they already are getting higher ticket quantities over paying fan club members...

• Like 1

I've now been through three Verified Fan processes. The first one was a disaster, TM more or less acknowledged mistakes were made and did the right thing for those of us impacted during the second go round. That was Springsteen.

The VF process went smoothly for me this time, Innocence, as well until I tried to get tickets. From "please try again" to "another fan beat you to the tickets" I've never had this trouble taking tickets from selection to checkout. If the tickets are in the box ready for checkout they should be there if you don't dwadle for purchase. That doesn't seem to be a VF problem, one more of TM.

The band knows when and where shows will be added, perhaps with an exception or two. More dates should have been announced from the start. In fact, I chose Tulsa and St. Louis specifically because they are unlikely to have added dates (although I could be wrong; after the stadium cancellation I'd think St. Louis deserves two shows, although the schedule doesn't indicate that so far). 

Back to VF: I'm concerned about the rumours that those Verified for the U2.com sales will automatically be excluded from the general sale. That wouldn't be right, both from the 4 ticket versus 2 ticket issue and because if the premise is this program's purpose is solely to weed out touts those U2.com members already verified are perhaps the least likely folks out there to be touts.

I wait for the general sales but am doing so with the following revelation: this is the last VF for me. Far too stressful and takes far too much time. This entire process is pushing me to pay over the top to buy tickets from StubHub in the future. At current price levels this Verified Fan (I've always been Verified and eventually received a code and tickets) would rather pay the extra StubHub fees than go through this again. Of course, that could change if the general sales go smoothly, TM learn from their mistakes (as they have in the past) and improve their software once you are in the sale. In Europe I avoid TM wherever possible ( when going to Europe  vendors such as Eventim and See always work for me) so it's more than just VF: it's pretty much everything about the TM experience. VF just causes all of us to have more interaction with them and, for me at least, I'm willing to pay the price in the future to go elsewhere to avoid that. VF driving fans to touts: unintended consequence of Verified Fan?

Edited by Turkued

I think people have to remember there are only 15 stadium shows, roughly 300,000 tickets.  There is a huge demand.  In all likelihood more shows will be added, plus Europe for sure.  If it goes like it has before your codes will be good for the added shows.  Don't panic yet.

On the I&E tour there were 8 shows in NYC and 8 in London, combined more than the current 15 shows announced.  So for NYC there is a huge demand, clearly the demand is greater than the supply.

The schedule has room for more shows, I am sure more will be added.

I think they only announced the 15 shows and are testing the VF system.  Hopefully they can make the corrections, announce more shows, give out more codes and make more people happy (not likely to make everyone happy).

Prices are in line with other major acts, check out the prices for the Eagles for Paul McCartney!!!