bigwave

U2.com 2018 Subscription FAQ Thread

@Turkued I agree with much of what you are saying. I went through the Springsteen on Broadway fiasco. Got nothing; standby but no codes for either round. I did end up with lottery tickets for tonight! Thrilled and excited about that one! 

I also went through VF for the Harry Potter play and again, neither my husband nor I got anything. Try explaining that one to a 13 year old who writes Harry Potter fanfiction in what little spare time she has.

I had no problems getting part of what I wanted for this tour - I have 2 GA tickets in hand right now. I am happy about that. I would have been happier if I had been able to get the three tickets I actually wanted (one for the 13 year old, one for her father, one for me). I have a code for the Citi presale and hope to grab a third ticket then.

There are two major problems with the U2 presale right now. First - it should not have been a lottery for fan club members. I understand the "we can't guarantee access" language because they know there are resellers among the fan club membership and they wanted the ability to weed them out. But they should have been up front about the fact that it was going to be a lottery for everyone else - before they asked us for another $40. Let us decide if we are willing to pay that much for a lottery ticket (my answer, given my prior experience with VF, would have been no). I have a suspicion that the lottery decision was made by Ticketmaster, based upon the number of signups vs. the number of tickets available.

Second - ticket limits. 2 tickets for fan club members and 4 for Citicard holders? I happen to be both, but that makes absolutely no sense. It was a 2 ticket limit for the 2015 tour, also an arena tour and that is understandable, on some level, given the limited quantity of seats available. But make the limit consistent across the presales. And make it 4, please.

Ticketmaster is a monopoly and acts like it. Hence, the screwups and technical gliches of not having sites ready to launch on time, endless dropped sales, etc. They have exclusive contracts with almost all of the major venues in the US and Canada. You can't use MSG or Barclays without using TM. And U2 can't play NYC without going to MSG. It's a fight we have been losing for 20+ years. And that's as much as I can say in language that can be used outside of a hockey locker room.

Vent over, thanks for listening.

Good luck to all! May everyone eventually get what they want.

@mich40 @Max Tsukino @bigwave And many, many thanks to the moderators here - you do what seems to be an almost impossible job. Thank you for your assistance, patience, and good humor.

Edited by bgans
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Turkued said:

I've now been through three Verified Fan processes. The first one was a disaster, TM more or less acknowledged mistakes were made and did the right thing for those of us impacted during the second go round. That was Springsteen.

The VF process went smoothly for me this time, Innocence, as well until I tried to get tickets. From "please try again" to "another fan beat you to the tickets" I've never had this trouble taking tickets from selection to checkout. If the tickets are in the box ready for checkout they should be there if you don't dwadle for purchase. That doesn't seem to be a VF problem, one more of TM.

Just wanted to add to this, hopefully to be helpful.

TM most definitely did not so the right thing with the second Springsteen onsale.  I got standby twice, and was never given a code.  Meanwhile, there were people who got codes in both sales (I know some). If you got tickets in the first sale, you never should have been eligible again in the second sale.  They handled it badly...

Also, for any onsale, never use that TM “you can see your tickets, oops they are gone” page.  That will always be gone by the time you go to buy them.  I was using that on my iPad, and the regular “find the best seats for me” screen (but narrowing the selection to GA) on my laptop.  I eventually got two single GAs on my laptop, and never got a GA to load ito buy on the iPad, after it said multiple times that they were available and I had selected them. In my experience those pick your seats screens only work if you are buying tickets for something that has already been on sale for a while.  Hopefully that will help people in future onsales.

The whole Verified Fan thing is a nightmare.  I have always been able to get tickets in the past at onsales, but was never even got a chance/code by VF to buy Springsteen tickets in my hometown in a venue 2 miles from where I live.  At least I have the option of the cancellation line, but for people coming from far away, that is not an option.

It’s a shame that U2 used VF and a lottery for the fan club, and members didn’t get codes.  And I agree that it was not clear when you bought the membership that it was a lottery to get a code, even as a fan club member.  

4 minutes ago, eaburke said:

Just wanted to add to this, hopefully to be helpful.

TM most definitely did not so the right thing with the second Springsteen onsale.  I got standby twice, and was never given a code.  Meanwhile, there were people who got codes in both sales (I know some). If you got tickets in the first sale, you never should have been eligible again in the second sale.  They handled it badly...

Also, for any onsale, never use that TM “you can see your tickets, oops they are gone” page.  That will always be gone by the time you go to buy them.  I was using that on my iPad, and the regular “find the best seats for me” screen (but narrowing the selection to GA) on my laptop.  I eventually got two single GAs on my laptop, and never got a GA to load ito buy on the iPad, after it said multiple times that they were available and I had selected them. In my experience those pick your seats screens only work if you are buying tickets for something that has already been on sale for a while.  Hopefully that will help people in future onsales.

The whole Verified Fan thing is a nightmare.  I have always been able to get tickets in the past at onsales, but was never even got a chance/code by VF to buy Springsteen tickets in my hometown in a venue 2 miles from where I live.  At least I have the option of the cancellation line, but for people coming from far away, that is not an option.

It’s a shame that U2 used VF and a lottery for the fan club, and members didn’t get codes.  And I agree that it was not clear when you bought the membership that it was a lottery to get a code, even as a fan club member.  

It seems that you, like me, live in NYC. I managed to score lottery tickets for SoB. I absolutely never thought it was possible - not after two years of trying and failing for Hamilton lottery tickets. I entered the Springsteen lottery a few times, for nights when I knew I was able to go. What do you know, I got the text yesterday morning saying I won. Back row of the mezzanine, but in the house. Give it a shot - what's the worst that will happen? Good luck!

53 minutes ago, bgans said:

@Turkued ...

Second - ticket limits. 2 tickets for fan club members and 4 for Citicard holders? I happen to be both, but that makes absolutely no sense. 

Money grab by the band's management and the band themselves.

Pure and simple.

I'd like to hear other possible reasons, but nothing obvious comes to mind. The partnership with Citi sure as hell isn't keeping ticket prices down.

6 hours ago, monica martino said:

Everyone should stop saying I deserve a ticket because I've been to x shows in my x years of being fans and I spent x buying this and that 

There's no loyalty card

It's not someone fault if born later or started to love the band later

There's no class A and B

Be happy of what you got so far and say thanks to God or whoever you want for the fact 

Let me add a huge thanks to max Mich and bigwave 

They're volunteers not employees

I don't know Mon. Look I mean no disrespect, we're just talking here, but....

The whole point of the Verified Fan system is to check whether or not these are genuine people, and have eXPERIENCE of seeing the band before. Someone who's been a fan since 1980 is going to wonder why (if) they aren't in the experience group or didn't get a presale code, or the presale code didn't work, when that is literally the point of being a Verified Fan - ie. someone who really wants to come and see the band and be part of an audience that loves to watch them and has done so for a long time.

I appreciate that you can't always fit everyone in, and that there is a certain amount of hysteria around this time every tour, but if the point of this whole thing is to weed out scalpers and get the tickets to die hard fans, whether they be newbies or oldies, then the question remains, did it work? Judging by some of the responses I'd say not.

To anyone who got tickets they wanted, then great. I'm pleased for you, and I hope you have a great concert(s). You win some you lose some. But to those who lost out for no good reason then my heart goes out to you.

And yes, seconded. The Mods have done a great job: bigwave, mich, max. Beers are on me should we ever meet.

Its such a disgrace being a lifetime member to the U2 fan club and not getting a passcode until a day and a half later!  The only answer I got when I called was the fine print says there is no guarantee!  All of the red zone and any decent seats have already been sold but it's funny how you could buy VIP seats  because there are a lot of them available for $700! They are using the term VIP to scalp their own tickets!  What happened to caring about your dedicated fans! This is a disgrace and comes off as a money grab !

Edited by islander2004

5 minutes ago, GMAN75 said:

anyone get the Citi text for their presale?

Yes. It came a little before 7am EST. Hopefully it works. I only want one GA ticket.

Curious to see how the Citi one goes and if there are more seats. I didn't get my code for that.

4 minutes ago, GMAN75 said:

Curious to see how the Citi one goes and if there are more seats. I didn't get my code for that.

9:01, code worked, "nothing available" You didn't miss anything.

1 minute ago, GMAN75 said:

Nothing????

Change that. I got what I wanted - but on my phone, not my laptop. A single GA for Nassau Coliseum. Whew. I don't need or want anything else.  I suspect there was a delay in getting the website updated relative to the app.

Good luck to everyone!

5 minutes ago, bgans said:

9:01, code worked, "nothing available" You didn't miss anything.

For which show? Are all of those Citi presales 9 am venue time or 9 am eastern?

27 minutes ago, edgebenson said:

Got 4 GA for Philly.  Why 4 for Citi and 2 for Fan club.  Doesn't make sense.  

How did you get those, I was on right away and nothing. That Philly website sucks.

Edited by deflep6202

7 minutes ago, Kevinslatteryu2 said:

Can't believe there is a four ticket limit allowed for Citi presale. 

A disgrace. I will always love the music, but I'm really starting to hate the U2 business.

1 hour ago, enriquediaz said:

Money grab by the band's management and the band themselves.

Pure and simple.

I'd like to hear other possible reasons, but nothing obvious comes to mind. The partnership with Citi sure as hell isn't keeping ticket prices down.

You know, I get capitalism. I'm self employed. But I really feel when you have a great life, when your fans have likely provided you " 500 quid each by now "( per show based on present costs ), isn't it just simple greed to keep upping the price and profits ? Rhetorical. Just venting. I appreciate this isn't an ideal world, but with our band being an idealistic bunch while growing up and older, can't we expect at some point they just say, ' f -ck it, we have everything we need, our sponsors kick ass financially, lets get a tour out there at $75 a pop '. Get every fan that could not go, in and make a statement. Bare bones effects if necessary and take a bit out of pocket and 'write it off '. It just seems right and what not so many years ago we would think pretty natural move by these guys and their management. I'm lucky. I'm grateful I can get to their shows at the moment but I am blown away....absolutely blown away at the process and the costs. I am participating in insanity because these guys have meant so much to me from year 18 to present, 53.

5 minutes ago, deflep6202 said:

How did you get those, I was 9n right away and nothing. That Philly website sucks.

I am from the area so pretty familiar with that site.  You are right, not user friendly

4 minutes ago, enriquediaz said:

A disgrace. I will always love the music, but I'm really starting to hate the U2 business.

This. I think ever since live nation become involved the corporate cash grab has ramped up as we progress through the tours.

16 minutes ago, edgebenson said:

I am from the area so pretty familiar with that site.  You are right, not user friendly

Trade? Wound up with very cheap but excellent uppers. I need that GA though:D

4 minutes ago, deflep6202 said:

Trade? Wound up with very cheap but excellent uppers. I need that GA though:D

I wish I could.  Sorry.  If something changes, I will reach out

I just can't pull the trigger on 325 tickets even though they are good seats.  Anybody else feel the same way?

• Like 1