bigwave

U2.com 2018 Subscription FAQ Thread

4 hours ago, economicformula said:

You know, I get capitalism. I'm self employed. But I really feel when you have a great life, when your fans have likely provided you " 500 quid each by now "( per show based on present costs ), isn't it just simple greed to keep upping the price and profits ? Rhetorical. Just venting. I appreciate this isn't an ideal world, but with our band being an idealistic bunch while growing up and older, can't we expect at some point they just say, ' f -ck it, we have everything we need, our sponsors kick ass financially, lets get a tour out there at $75 a pop '. Get every fan that could not go, in and make a statement. Bare bones effects if necessary and take a bit out of pocket and 'write it off '. It just seems right and what not so many years ago we would think pretty natural move by these guys and their management. I'm lucky. I'm grateful I can get to their shows at the moment but I am blown away....absolutely blown away at the process and the costs. I am participating in insanity because these guys have meant so much to me from year 18 to present, 53.

100% Agree. Plus, $40 for a membership for the opportunity to get 2 tickets, but then when you don't get them ... why did I pay $40? I got 2 GAs from the Citi presale, but not the Verified U2 $40 presale. wtf. 

1 hour ago, chrissy1967 said:

I never mind paying the fan club fee...it's pretty much the only membership I always keep up on.  I don't think it is outrageous to "pay to play."  They do include downloads and special surprises, that alone is worth the price for me. A few times I was on the losing side of first opportunity tickets, but I found other ways to get tickets. I hope everyone that wants to see them will end up with tickets. If you don't get hold of them now, check resale on Ticketmaster closer to the show date. Social media is also a great way to score tickets closer to show-time, lots of U2 fan sites will have ticket sales between fans. 

Yeah, I can see your point. But now, having experienced this ticketmaster fiasco (no GAs in the first seconds of a "fan-only" sale) i can pretty much say the ONLY reason to purchase a membership is to get exclusives. Other than that, i've never seen arenas have tickets for sale BEFORE the real fans do. That to me, is pretty greedy from both parties.

4 minutes ago, unforgettableu2 said:

@Manohlive & Cork vegan...

Yes, addressing Manohlive first....

I agree, scalping is terrible on all levels...for the band and for the fans....neither benefits....

But, how else do I approach this situation when I want to see my favorite band of 34 years.....in which I take legal and necessary steps to procure GA tickets....only to have none available or access to? My first concert was at 12 years old, unforgettable fire......Joshua tree (lottery system), Zoo TV(nightmare to get tickets) Paid $1,000 for balcony. ECT. ECT. ECT. Repeat rise....same ole same ole routine.....I expect this crap....and been enduring it all these years.....the anxiety I get every tour....I am getting too old for this!

As for Your statement @ Cork vegan...

I just can't comprehend the ticket master corks(no pun intended).....I had  4 Ga tickets....that paralyzed my screen....for 15 minutes....then....Gone of the face of the earth. And, sadly, that was more opportunity/quantity available (ever), than via U2 fan pre sales....

I just don't get it....

I'm truly sorry you lost your tickets.  That has happened to me with other concerts and it sucks.  I am really sorry.   I don't know what the answer to scalping is.  I call my representatives.  I report tix being scalped to U2.com mods.  We had two extra tickets for Matchbox Twenty and could not give them away.  We tried for well over an hour and were asking nothing as they were comps.  I had bought better seats right up front.  The only people who wanted the seats were scalpers.  "Okay, but you have to go in the venue with us so these cannot be resold.", was my answer.  "Well, I'm waiting for my girlfriend to get here so we both can go.", was the usual response.  We finally found one gentleman who came down last minute to see if he could get a ticket.  He was a very happy man.  He got in for free.  I could have easily scalped them but did not.  I do what I can to stop scalpers.  I don't know how else you approach the situation and I'm not judging anyone who buys inflated priced tickets. 

Edited by Manohlive

4 minutes ago, gypsyangel said:

100% Agree. Plus, $40 for a membership for the opportunity to get 2 tickets, but then when you don't get them ... why did I pay $40? I got 2 GAs from the Citi presale, but not the Verified U2 $40 presale. wtf. 

I Know.....I've been a citi card member for 25 years....so I thought great, another opportunity to get GA tickets...."4" to be exact....and I did, briefly have them, before being kicked off by ticket master processing error. But, the point is, I still had some thread of a opportunity versus 0% with U2 fan presale tickets.

10 minutes ago, u2diehardperez said:

Yeah, I can see your point. But now, having experienced this ticketmaster fiasco (no GAs in the first seconds of a "fan-only" sale) i can pretty much say the ONLY reason to purchase a membership is to get exclusives. Other than that, i've never seen arenas have tickets for sale BEFORE the real fans do. That to me, is pretty greedy from both parties.

Yes....basically.....I love the exclusives.....but, Ticket Sales have been a poor experience with me in general.

Im from the UK, Maybe I'm wrong but I aint even bloody heard of Citi card, how can they get tix versus verified fans, worst decision ever

is it only Americans who can get this card??????????????

19 minutes ago, unforgettableu2 said:

I agree, scalping is terrible on all levels...for the band and for the fans....neither benefits....

I'm very sorry you lost those tickets.  I hope something good happens and you get what you want without paying a fortune.

5 minutes ago, unforgettableu2 said:

@Manohlive & Cork vegan...

Yes, addressing Manohlive first....

But, how else do I approach this situation when I want to see my favorite band of 34 years.....in which I take legal and necessary steps to procure GA tickets....only to have none available or access to? My first concert was at 12 years old, unforgettable fire......Joshua tree (lottery system), Zoo TV(nightmare to get tickets) Paid $1,000 for balcony. ECT. ECT. ECT. Repeat rise....same ole same ole routine.....I expect this crap....and been enduring it all these years.....the anxiety I get every tour....I am getting too old for this!

As for Your statement @ Cork vegan...

I just can't comprehend the ticket master corks(no pun intended).....I had  4 Ga tickets....that paralyzed my screen....for 15 minutes....then....Gone of the face of the earth. And, sadly, that was more opportunity/quantity available (ever), than via U2 fan pre sales....

I just don't get it....

It's such a travesty that this is the state we are in.  I despise scalpers with heat of a nova.  Yet I understand that they exist because of the very nature of high demand items.  In this regard, the band/management/fans are all in agreement that they should go away.  I'm not sure if LN/TM are in bed with them or not, but if they are not then I'm sure they would like the scalpers to go away, too.

For those of us not lucky enough to get tickets--and it seemed like luck was a factor here--going to the scalpers is our only option.  If additional shows are added, great, and I will try score tickets.  But if not, it's posting my need for X-amount of tickets on these boards, and hopefully finding a kind soul (and they are here) who will sell them to me, go to the scalpers, or not go.

I must say that my dissatisfaction is very high this time around and I might not go, even if I can afford the price-gouging amount charged by the folks at StubHub.  There's little in life that causes me anxiety anymore--been around too long and seen too much--but holy hell, trying to get U2 tickets is still one of them,

It's like I tell my friends, I love the band so much and am glad they've been so successful all these years, I just wish they were a little--not a lot--less popular.

4 minutes ago, unforgettableu2 said:

Yes....basically.....I love the exclusives.....but, Ticket Sales have been a poor experience with me in general.

All I know is U2 needs to fix the unintended consequences of this fiasco.

• Like 1

Just now, jeepster65 said:

Im from the UK, Maybe I'm wrong but I aint even bloody heard of Citi card, how can they get tix versus verified fans, worst decision ever

Citibank is one of the largest banks in the US. Citi cards are just the credit cards issued by that bank and you need a US Government issued Social Security Number to get one. Legal resident non-citizens can be issued SSNs, with the right paperwork (people with student visas, work visas, Green Cards). 

I have a Citicard, so I was able to register for and get a code for the Citi presale. I agree with you though. Fan club subscribers should have been treated far better than they were and much better than the Citicard members.

1 minute ago, bgans said:

Citibank is one of the largest banks in the US. Citi cards are just the credit cards issued by that bank and you need a US Government issued Social Security Number to get one. Legal resident non-citizens can be issued SSNs, with the right paperwork (people with student visas, work visas, Green Cards). 

I have a Citicard, so I was able to register for and get a code for the Citi presale. I agree with you though. Fan club subscribers should have been treated far better than they were and much better than the Citicard members.

so if you don't live in the USA, you are at a loss

that don't seem very fair to me, but its ridiculous that certain card holders get 4 tix whilst paid up members get DIDDLYSQUATT

thanks for the reply though, just gutted that my bucket list moment of seeing a band I first seen in 1980 in MSG being taken from me, very angry as I have spent weeks planning my trip from Scotland

In a pinch...they always dump tickets closer to the show for anyone who does not not have to travel and is willing to gamble.  You will get GAs and some of the best seats in the house the day of the show.  In Chicago/Milwaukee, they dump them between 2-6 AM; 9-11 AM; 12-3 PM.  These times are approximate and differ.  I have some health challenges and often do not know if I can go until the day of the show. (I'm fine)  I'm always looking and trying and get amazing seats just about every time.  I've never not seen GAs released the day of a U2 show where I live.  Of course, this will be the one they don't!   j/k   I posted this before but am repeating it.  It's also a great option when one decides another show is needed because the first one was so great.  I'm gonna stop posting on here but it's an option worth considering.  I hope everyone gets their GAs/seats.  Maybe they'll figure this out and have another presale for the shows they are going to add.  I hope so.   Good luck.

1 minute ago, jeepster65 said:

Citibank is one of the largest banks in the US.

Why someone is entitled to a pesale because they have a credit card is beyond my comprehension.  Citibank has presales for most shows in America.

No offense is intended to anyone who has a Citibank card and got in on the presale.  I just think it's unfair to people who have less.

• Brilliant 1

It is 12 years since we all received this from Larry, I am not sure that things sound that much better for a lot of people in this presale. From some posts it sounds as if the U2.com membership has been useless in securing tickets for them and has failed to address the problems Larry highlighted below in 2005. I know U2 care about their fans but when you eventually create something so complex, corporate and complicated to "protect" fans from scalpers then it may be time to go back and think up the ticketing process all over again.

"This is not something that I would normally do, but I feel that I have to do something to redress this situation. There was a mess up in the way the tickets were distributed through U2.com for the Vertigo pre-sale. Some of it was beyond our control, but some of it wasn’t. I am now in the process of figuring out a way of distributing the tickets for our intended return to North America in the fall. The only fair way of doing this, is to give U2 Propaganda members, who are now U2.com members, priority in the queue. After that, people will be given priority in the order in which they joined. Many people who joined U2.com and didn’t get tickets are understandably angry. They now have the option to get a full refund of their subscription fee. The idea that our long-time U2 fans and scalpers competed for U2 tickets through our own website is appalling to me. I want to apologise to you who have suffered that. If your U2.com pre-sale experience has left you disappointed, I hope this will go some way towards reassuring you of our total commitment to our audience. Slainte Larry. 

By the way, a note to those so-called U2 fans who are quick to accuse U2 of unseemly behaviour, I’ve only got two words for you…"

Just now, Manohlive said:

Why someone is entitled to a pesale because they have a credit card is beyond my comprehension.  Citibank has presales for most shows in America.

No offense is intended to anyone who has a Citibank card and got in on the presale.  I just think it's unfair to people who have less.

or people from outside the country that cant have a Citi card

I am very angry about this, and don't want to disrespect anyone so apologies in advance, but my favourite band have fucked up royally, do they not know the lengths we have to go to in order to see them across the world

Could be worse I suppose, I could be in Australia

1 hour ago, CorkVegan said:

I was fortunate enough to get tickets on Tuesday, however I do have something weird to report.....

On my first attempt I had two tickets sitting right there in my cart but when I hit "confirm" I got a message that another fan had beat me to the tickets and to try again. How can those tickets be snatched when I was checking out with them?

This has never happened to me in all my concert going days.

Same here. That happened to me several times and was absolutely frustrating. This TM interface really stinks.

25 minutes ago, jeepster65 said:

In revenge, in Europe let's hope Barclays sponsors the tour with a pre-sale that knocks the Americans out!

Just now, Turkued said:

In revenge, in Europe let's hope Barclays sponsors the tour with a pre-sale that knocks the Americans out!

Fuck any bank sponsoring it mate, how much money do they need!!!!!

52 minutes ago, gypsyangel said:

What show did you get GA for during Citi?

18 minutes ago, Hoachy said:

It is 12 years since we all received this from Larry, I am not sure that things sound that much better for a lot of people in this presale. From some posts it sounds as if the U2.com membership has been useless in securing tickets for them and has failed to address the problems Larry highlighted below in 2005. I know U2 care about their fans but when you eventually create something so complex, corporate and complicated to "protect" fans from scalpers then it may be time to go back and think up the ticketing process all over again.

"This is not something that I would normally do, but I feel that I have to do something to redress this situation. There was a mess up in the way the tickets were distributed through U2.com for the Vertigo pre-sale. Some of it was beyond our control, but some of it wasn’t. I am now in the process of figuring out a way of distributing the tickets for our intended return to North America in the fall. The only fair way of doing this, is to give U2 Propaganda members, who are now U2.com members, priority in the queue. After that, people will be given priority in the order in which they joined. Many people who joined U2.com and didn’t get tickets are understandably angry. They now have the option to get a full refund of their subscription fee. The idea that our long-time U2 fans and scalpers competed for U2 tickets through our own website is appalling to me. I want to apologise to you who have suffered that. If your U2.com pre-sale experience has left you disappointed, I hope this will go some way towards reassuring you of our total commitment to our audience. Slainte Larry. 

By the way, a note to those so-called U2 fans who are quick to accuse U2 of unseemly behaviour, I’ve only got two words for you…"

I bet the band does not know of the problems that everyone is having.... The press needs  to get on this.

1 minute ago, jeepster65 said:

Fuck any bank sponsoring it mate, how much money do they need!!!!!

Apparently a lot more than they have now. I was just trying to point out the obvious: One? In ticket distribution they are pitting region against region, class against class...

Instead of bashing Stubhub, folks may want to glance at that paragon of anti-scalping, Ticketmaster, at their TicketsNow site ( http://www.ticketsnow.com/resaleorder/u2-tickets/event/892?EID=892 ). They are able to verify the legitimacy of the resales because they sold the friggen tickets in the first place! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 504jumper said:

I didn't think to DM Canadian customer support, but it's good to know. What's their email address?

This is their twitter account: @TicketmasterCA

(No idea about email.)

1 minute ago, sbeck said:

What show did you get GA for during Citi?

I got a single GA for Nassau Coliseum during the Citi presale.

I had gotten 2 GAs for that show in the eXperience presale (for hubby & me) and wanted a third so our daughter could come with us. It would have been great if I'd only had to go through the process once, as a Fan Club member. In the end, I got what I wanted, but I know how lucky I was. This was a mess and I know that a lot of people were not as lucky as I was. 

yeah got 2 Chi and 2 STL cheap 41's in the CIti, NOT behind the stage.  Never tried to GA, didn't think they would even be possible to get in the Citi.  thanks for update.  Awesome to know there were GA out there for Citi.  Shocked but nice to know.