bigwave

U2.com 2018 Subscription FAQ Thread

Recommended Posts

If I worked for U2 and I had labored over TJT vinyls, in any way shape or form, I might well need a straight jacket right about now.  Oh my gosh...vinyl for 2018!  Am I evil for laughing?  I hope not...

I have not and will not play my TJT vinyls.  I still like them and think they are very cool.   I like this one too.  I love that we are getting that awesome Desire remix.  I have the remix single somewhere but can't find it.  May I presume a 'high quality' download is also going to be available or is that too much?  I'm so sorry.  I cannot help but laugh at the irony of all of this.  I don't care what the gift is.  Doing this is the best part.

I mean no disrespect to anyone frustrated about vinyls or presales or missing renewals or forced renewals or anything negative.  There's a lot of really intense stuff going down right now.  It's fun to laugh and that's all I'm doing.  No disrespect or shade is intended.

 

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, I've had some time to decompress, but more has to be said...

I used to really look forward to the annual gift. I liked every single one ever released until "U2 Duals" (I know a lot of people here agree with that assessment - it was so roundly panned here that we actually got a response on-site about it). After "Duals", they came up with good gifts again, but now this is the third time in four years that they have released something mainly on vinyl, with only an mp3 option for those who have no interest whatsoever in vinyl. This is not good service. We all pay exactly the same dues - we ought to have the right to be equally satisfied with the gift (that we pay for).

Now, don't get me wrong - if you like vinyl and are happy with the vinyl, that's great and I'm genuinely happy for you. However, the rest of us are entitled to be happy as well. What was released for the 2015 and 2017 gifts (the early-career Dublin show and the JT singles) were good ideas; however, only releasing them in vinyl with a consolation mp3 as the only other option is just wrong. It is cheaper today to create factory-pressed silver CDs than vinyl - that's a fact. The music medium infrastructure today for CDs is what the infrastructure was for vinyl back in the early 80s and before. If the site doesn't want to produce both, why doesn't the option exist for us to get a CD-quality download so that we can make our own CDs? Lossless and WAV files can be easily and without cost be converted to mp3s. Everyone wins this way.

So, a few questions - why can't we choose the format of the music, if music is the gift in any given year? We really ought to be given the explicit choice. This would be very economical for the site as well. For example, the JT singles were made and posted to every paid-up U2.com member (well mostly, I know some are still waiting). Some people like vinyl; many don't - so why is everyone getting the same thing sent to them regardless? This is cost-ineffective in two ways - since vinyl cost more to produce than CDs, why would you send vinyl to those who would prefer CDs? Also, secondly, it costs more in postage to send vinyl than CDs - so, again, why would you pay the extra postage to send someone vinyl who would prefer CDs when it would be much cheaper to send these people CDs? The current practice defies basic common sense...

Another point - who exactly chooses what the gift is each year anyway? It's quite clear that we have no input whatsoever. There were a couple of threads here which collected people's thoughts on what would make a nice gift for 2018 - some were facetious, others were overly ambitious, but most were made sincerely - and the sincere ones were very good ideas. However, as we have just seen yet again for 2018, our opinions here did not make any substantive impact at all. I don't think anyone proposed/would have proposed what has been offered.

Now, there is something right about this gift - celebrating the 30th anniversary of Rattle and Hum was a good idea. However, this 2018 gift can't be the best possible idea to celebrate it. I may be wrong, but I sense that there is not an infinite appetite for remixes here. If I may be blunt, this appears to have been formulated to be relatively simple to create, not so much to be special to have.

So, a few humble suggestions for the present and the future:

If this gift is set in stone, could we please have downloads in suitable quality (lossless or WAV) so that we who prefer CDs can make our own CDs? (These higher-quality downloads can be converted to mp3s easily as well.)

In the future, could we please be part of the process of what the gift ends up being (both in the content and, in the case of music, the format)? This is a completely reasonable request. It would even save money both in manufacturing and in posting. I feel we have been led down the garden path a bit this year - it was at least implied, if not explicitly said, that our wishes for this year's gift would be listened to. If this in fact happened, I don't know how we can't be greatly confused by what ended up being offered.

Well, as I said already, I used to really look forward to these gifts; at first, the ideas were really good. However, in recent years, I don't think it is unfair to say they have been a bit underwhelming.

Please let us have more input into these (pre-paid) gifts...please...

 

  • Brilliant 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dmway said:

 I liked every single one ever released until "U2 Duals" (I know a lot of people here agree with that assessment - it was so roundly panned here that we actually got a response on-site about it). After "Duals", they came up with good gifts again,

The i+e prints were a huge let down for me. I've gone past the age when I hang band posters on my wall.

The 2018 gift surprised me. Not what I expected but I'm sort of ok with it. Three remixes and some photographs? Sounds a little skimpy, but *shrugs* alright.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CorkVegan said:

The i+e prints were a huge let down for me. I've gone past the age when I hang band posters on my wall.

The 2018 gift surprised me. Not what I expected but I'm sort of ok with it. Three remixes and some photographs? Sounds a little skimpy, but *shrugs* alright.

Well, me too - I was trying to be kind about that one (i.e., the prints) because that was more expensive to create (in terms of time as well as cost).

On the second, IMHO, underwhelming, but could be salvageable IF proper quality downloads were forthcoming. I live in hope...

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dmway said:

 

On the second, IMHO, underwhelming, but could be salvageable IF proper quality downloads were forthcoming. I live in hope...

 

I think that "underwhelming" sums it up perfectly.

Also lossless downloads really should be the norm. The sound quality of vinyl paired with 320kps mp3's is a head scratcher and smacks of "Feck it, it'll be grand. Throw it out there."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have the original 12” single, pity they could not have come up with even a few live tracks from Lovetown tour

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very disappointed with this, which most fan who collected vinyl who already have, I wonder if we get Rattle and Hum 30th Anniversary Box Set In October this year

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not a single rarity on this ? Just the exact same remixes as the original release... This is a huge let down. And the original vinyl is not that hard to find (even cheaper than a re-subscription)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm upset with some stuff too.  My complaint is how many people got screwed in the presale and gave up after signing up and paying for a subscription.  I've been thinking about this.  The only way I see us changing anything is to raise our voices collectively.  Maybe there is a way each of us can write a letter about our concerns and have them all delivered at once?  Each of us could present what we want and how we will respond as consumers if something doesn't give?  It's just an idea that hasn't left my head so I'm presenting it here.  We are Zootopia.  I do not believe that does not matter.  Perhaps it's time to make ourselves known as one group and not a bunch of individual ticket purchasers or whatever is applicable.  I still believe our argument is with Live Nation.  They own U2.com.  It's sad but it is as it is.  It would be cool if we could figure out a positive response to a bunch of negative things.  

Why would they have mods ask us what we want for the 2018 gift and give something that most would not like?  Was that just pascification while they got the vinyls going again?  I'm not saying it was but who knows at this point?  Someone out of touch with the vibe of Zootopia is making decsions on some level.   I'm fine with the gift. The second I saw vinyl and only three remixes, I knew there'd be discontent.  Any idiot could have seen that one.  It'll become another U2 collectible that gets passed onto my Godchildren. It will not be used.  I don't much care as I enjoy other aspects of U2.com more. It's still seems a very silly idea.  C'mon, guys... this is the best or the least you can do?

They are obviously not getting the discontent of many in Zootopia.  Let's make our voices heard.  We'd need to figure out an effective way which does not break any rules or cause upheaval.  

Edited by Manohlive
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

I'm upset with some stuff too.  My complaint is how many people got screwed in the presale and gave up after signing up and paying for a subscription.  I've been thinking about this.  The only way I see us changing anything is to raise our voices collectively.  Maybe there is a way each of us can write a letter about our concerns and have them all delivered at once?  Each of us could present what we want and how we will respond as consumers if something doesn't give?  It's just an idea that hasn't left my head so I'm presenting it here.  We are Zootopia.  I do not believe that does not matter.  Perhaps it's time to make ourselves known as one group and not a bunch of individual ticket purchasers or whatever is applicable.  I still believe our argument is with Live Nation.  They own U2.com.  It's sad but it is as it is.  It would be cool if we could figure out a positive response to a bunch of negative things.  

Why would they have mods ask us what we want for the 2018 gift and give something that most would not like?     I'm fine with the gift. The second I saw vinyl and only three remixes, I knew there'd be discontent.  Any idiot could have seen that one.  It'll become another U2 thing that gets passed onto my Godchildren.  It will not be used.  I don't much care as I enjoy other aspects of U2.com more. It's still seems a very silly idea.  C'mon, guys... 

They are obviously not getting the discontent of many in Zootopia.  Let's make our voices heard.  We'd need to figure out an effective way which does not break any rules or cause upheaval.  

Great idea if we could even have a poll on if you are happy with 2018 or not, I would have been happy with two cd of I and E Tour even the Paris concert on two cds would have been better than this,

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All,

I am subscribed until Jan 2019 and I received the Joshua Tree vinyls as the 2017 subscription gift.

My question is will I receive the 2018 gift (U2 3D Dance Mixes) as the information on my accounts says that I have already redeemed my gift but this was for the 2017 gift (Joshua Tree vinyls).

My eyes make a circle

Hopefully someone can help me out

Thanks :u2-1383:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hank134 said:

Hi All,

I am subscribed until Jan 2019 and I received the Joshua Tree vinyls as the 2017 subscription gift.

My question is will I receive the 2018 gift (U2 3D Dance Mixes) as the information on my accounts says that I have already redeemed my gift but this was for the 2017 gift (Joshua Tree vinyls).

 

 

Hi Hank!

When buying membership for 2018 there was an option to choose either the 2017 JT vinyls or the then unannounced 2018 gift. Can you remember which you opted for? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, about 5 minutes thought went into that subscriber gift didn't it. More effort has gone into trying to "sell the idea" of giving us 3 remixes that most of us already have and don't want again. For me, two of them were rubbish the first time around and although Desire was listenable, I already have it on other official releases. This is just hugely disappointing, much like those giant I&E lithographs that I've never even looked at.

Dance remixes are a very acquired taste, and for me they are just a big no. Barring the very rare exception, they generally murder what was essentially a good song and make it unlistenable.

If Rattle & Hum was going to be commemorated with a subscriber gift, why not use some of the real treasures that sit in the bands vault from that time that us fans would really love. A vinyl of tracks that were not used on the album or in the movie maybe? Audio, or even better, a DVD of a full show from the LoveTown Tour. 

As a (very) long time subscriber (you'll note I never post), I'm adding my two cents-worth, with the very small hope that if enough of us have moan about this, something might change before they go spending loads of our money on putting this thing into production.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again, 3 years in a row, more vinyl, why not give the choice of cd or vinyl, i know they will be available to download but not the same without the packaging, will someone who makes these decisions please take note, not everyone wants vinyl, and 3 years in a row is more than enough. Highly disappointed again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should have been a choice between vinyl and cd, 3 years in a row vinyl, i would prefer cd dont have a record player and wont be getting one, disappointed again this year

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, CorkVegan said:

Hi Hank!

When buying membership for 2018 there was an option to choose either the 2017 JT vinyls or the then unannounced 2018 gift. Can you remember which you opted for? 

 

Hi CorkVegan

I opted for the unannounced 2018 gift,cause the JT vinyls was the 2017 gift when I renewed.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No imagination. I don’t mind the whole vinyl thing, because you are able to download. My issue with it is the lack of imagination when choosing the track listing? Some proper rarities, would have being nice. I would never have guessed that it would have being this poor? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Hank134 said:

Hi CorkVegan

I opted for the unannounced 2018 gift,cause the JT vinyls was the 2017 gift when I renewed.

 

You should receive it. 

  • Brilliant 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we open a poll of here to vote, maybe if one of The Moderators could do it?

Edited by joetracey1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lovely, I will put this next to the one I bought in 1988!!

And didn't they just go on a Joshua tree tour...even an audio of the tour?  They used to do that but don't know why they don't anymore.  For a band that always says "Live is where we live" they never release any live stuff anymore.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I’m more concerned that the president of the USA is threatening Russia on Twitter. I’ve  quite liked living in a world without the fear of nuclear annihilation..,

  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, skapus said:

Lovely, I will put this next to the one I bought in 1988!!

And didn't they just go on a Joshua tree tour...even an audio of the tour?  They used to do that but don't know why they don't anymore.  For a band that always says "Live is where we live" they never release any live stuff anymore.

 

I sure we can buy the Live DVD or Box Set of The Joshua Tree 2017 Tour before the end of the year so they wont it give it to us as a gift

Edited by joetracey1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, dmway said:

OK, I've had some time to decompress, but more has to be said...

I used to really look forward to the annual gift. I liked every single one ever released until "U2 Duals" (I know a lot of people here agree with that assessment - it was so roundly panned here that we actually got a response on-site about it). After "Duals", they came up with good gifts again, but now this is the third time in four years that they have released something mainly on vinyl, with only an mp3 option for those who have no interest whatsoever in vinyl. This is not good service. We all pay exactly the same dues - we ought to have the right to be equally satisfied with the gift (that we pay for).

Now, don't get me wrong - if you like vinyl and are happy with the vinyl, that's great and I'm genuinely happy for you. However, the rest of us are entitled to be happy as well. What was released for the 2015 and 2017 gifts (the early-career Dublin show and the JT singles) were good ideas; however, only releasing them in vinyl with a consolation mp3 as the only other option is just wrong. It is cheaper today to create factory-pressed silver CDs than vinyl - that's a fact. The music medium infrastructure today for CDs is what the infrastructure was for vinyl back in the early 80s and before. If the site doesn't want to produce both, why doesn't the option exist for us to get a CD-quality download so that we can make our own CDs? Lossless and WAV files can be easily and without cost be converted to mp3s. Everyone wins this way.

So, a few questions - why can't we choose the format of the music, if music is the gift in any given year? We really ought to be given the explicit choice. This would be very economical for the site as well. For example, the JT singles were made and posted to every paid-up U2.com member (well mostly, I know some are still waiting). Some people like vinyl; many don't - so why is everyone getting the same thing sent to them regardless? This is cost-ineffective in two ways - since vinyl cost more to produce than CDs, why would you send vinyl to those who would prefer CDs? Also, secondly, it costs more in postage to send vinyl than CDs - so, again, why would you pay the extra postage to send someone vinyl who would prefer CDs when it would be much cheaper to send these people CDs? The current practice defies basic common sense...

Another point - who exactly chooses what the gift is each year anyway? It's quite clear that we have no input whatsoever. There were a couple of threads here which collected people's thoughts on what would make a nice gift for 2018 - some were facetious, others were overly ambitious, but most were made sincerely - and the sincere ones were very good ideas. However, as we have just seen yet again for 2018, our opinions here did not make any substantive impact at all. I don't think anyone proposed/would have proposed what has been offered.

Now, there is something right about this gift - celebrating the 30th anniversary of Rattle and Hum was a good idea. However, this 2018 gift can't be the best possible idea to celebrate it. I may be wrong, but I sense that there is not an infinite appetite for remixes here. If I may be blunt, this appears to have been formulated to be relatively simple to create, not so much to be special to have.

So, a few humble suggestions for the present and the future:

If this gift is set in stone, could we please have downloads in suitable quality (lossless or WAV) so that we who prefer CDs can make our own CDs? (These higher-quality downloads can be converted to mp3s easily as well.)

In the future, could we please be part of the process of what the gift ends up being (both in the content and, in the case of music, the format)? This is a completely reasonable request. It would even save money both in manufacturing and in posting. I feel we have been led down the garden path a bit this year - it was at least implied, if not explicitly said, that our wishes for this year's gift would be listened to. If this in fact happened, I don't know how we can't be greatly confused by what ended up being offered.

Well, as I said already, I used to really look forward to these gifts; at first, the ideas were really good. However, in recent years, I don't think it is unfair to say they have been a bit underwhelming.

Please let us have more input into these (pre-paid) gifts...please...

 

 

8 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I'm upset with some stuff too.  My complaint is how many people got screwed in the presale and gave up after signing up and paying for a subscription.  I've been thinking about this.  The only way I see us changing anything is to raise our voices collectively.  Maybe there is a way each of us can write a letter about our concerns and have them all delivered at once?  Each of us could present what we want and how we will respond as consumers if something doesn't give?  It's just an idea that hasn't left my head so I'm presenting it here.  We are Zootopia.  I do not believe that does not matter.  Perhaps it's time to make ourselves known as one group and not a bunch of individual ticket purchasers or whatever is applicable.  I still believe our argument is with Live Nation.  They own U2.com.  It's sad but it is as it is.  It would be cool if we could figure out a positive response to a bunch of negative things.  

Why would they have mods ask us what we want for the 2018 gift and give something that most would not like?  Was that just pascification while they got the vinyls going again?  I'm not saying it was but who knows at this point?  Someone out of touch with the vibe of Zootopia is making decsions on some level.   I'm fine with the gift. The second I saw vinyl and only three remixes, I knew there'd be discontent.  Any idiot could have seen that one.  It'll become another U2 collectible that gets passed onto my Godchildren. It will not be used.  I don't much care as I enjoy other aspects of U2.com more. It's still seems a very silly idea.  C'mon, guys... this is the best or the least you can do?

They are obviously not getting the discontent of many in Zootopia.  Let's make our voices heard.  We'd need to figure out an effective way which does not break any rules or cause upheaval.  

 

8 hours ago, joetracey1 said:

Great idea if we could even have a poll on if you are happy with 2018 or not, I would have been happy with two cd of I and E Tour even the Paris concert on two cds would have been better than this,

 

7 hours ago, beppecuoco said:

So won't be there the choice between vinyl and CD?

If you don't have a deck? :unsure:

 

4 hours ago, Mangel said:

Well, about 5 minutes thought went into that subscriber gift didn't it. More effort has gone into trying to "sell the idea" of giving us 3 remixes that most of us already have and don't want again. For me, two of them were rubbish the first time around and although Desire was listenable, I already have it on other official releases. This is just hugely disappointing, much like those giant I&E lithographs that I've never even looked at.

Dance remixes are a very acquired taste, and for me they are just a big no. Barring the very rare exception, they generally murder what was essentially a good song and make it unlistenable.

If Rattle & Hum was going to be commemorated with a subscriber gift, why not use some of the real treasures that sit in the bands vault from that time that us fans would really love. A vinyl of tracks that were not used on the album or in the movie maybe? Audio, or even better, a DVD of a full show from the LoveTown Tour. 

As a (very) long time subscriber (you'll note I never post), I'm adding my two cents-worth, with the very small hope that if enough of us have moan about this, something might change before they go spending loads of our money on putting this thing into production.

 

 

 

3 hours ago, Tracks said:

Should have been a choice between vinyl and cd, 3 years in a row vinyl, i would prefer cd dont have a record player and wont be getting one, disappointed again this year

 

2 hours ago, joetracey1 said:

Can we open a poll of here to vote, maybe if one of The Moderators could do it?

This is why I have been posting so often about these deficiencies, i.e., I was confident that many felt exactly the same way, but were just metaphorically/literally gritting their teeth but refraining from saying anything. I think our collective teeth are hurting too much and they need a break...

Some of the problems of any membership of any group can be tricky to navigate, but the ones that exist here should be awfully easy to rectify. I know the mods care as much as we do (or they wouldn't be mods), but it seems that the higher-ups just don't care at all.

I'm going to ask again because I think that we would all like to know - who exactly chooses the gift each year? It is crystal clear that our preferences are not part of the equation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.