Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
bigwave

U2.com 2018 Subscription FAQ Thread

Recommended Posts

I never mind paying the fan club fee...it's pretty much the only membership I always keep up on.  I don't think it is outrageous to "pay to play."  They do include downloads and special surprises, that alone is worth the price for me. A few times I was on the losing side of first opportunity tickets, but I found other ways to get tickets. I hope everyone that wants to see them will end up with tickets. If you don't get hold of them now, check resale on Ticketmaster closer to the show date. Social media is also a great way to score tickets closer to show-time, lots of U2 fan sites will have ticket sales between fans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gringo said:


I don't know Mon. Look I mean no disrespect, we're just talking here, but....

The whole point of the Verified Fan system is to check whether or not these are genuine people, and have eXPERIENCE of seeing the band before. Someone who's been a fan since 1980 is going to wonder why (if) they aren't in the experience group or didn't get a presale code, or the presale code didn't work, when that is literally the point of being a Verified Fan - ie. someone who really wants to come and see the band and be part of an audience that loves to watch them and has done so for a long time.

I appreciate that you can't always fit everyone in, and that there is a certain amount of hysteria around this time every tour, but if the point of this whole thing is to weed out scalpers and get the tickets to die hard fans, whether they be newbies or oldies, then the question remains, did it work? Judging by some of the responses I'd say not.

To anyone who got tickets they wanted, then great. I'm pleased for you, and I hope you have a great concert(s). You win some you lose some. But to those who lost out for no good reason then my heart goes out to you.

And yes, seconded. The Mods have done a great job: bigwave, mich, max. Beers are on me should we ever meet.

I agree with gringo, one has to look at the Verified Fan system and see if it worked or not.  While nothing can be 100%, what was the success rate of this VF system? Granted, there might be a much higher percentage of folks who had problems who are posting, but it doesn't seem like this new system worked as stated.

For fans, and members of the club, one of the biggest reasons we are members is to take advantage of presales. It's something that the band/management do to encourage people to subscribe. It is benefit to those willing to pay for the privilege.  When members who paid their hard-earned money for that privilege experience the frustration and ultimately, do not get what was promised--like not receiving a presale code--then they might vent their feelings here. 

For many of us who have loved the band for decades, or even a couple of years, we also know the challenges of trying to score tickets to the biggest band in the world.  It can be hard.  Sometimes we don't get tickets, like myself, and come to these forums for answers, advice or maybe just a little empathy.  I never thought I had the right to U2 tickets, although I did whatever I could to get them.  It's gotten harder.  This time around I'm less hopeful although it's still too early to make any predictions.

And yes, for the fortunate that got tickets, I'm happy for you, too.  For those of us that are without tickets but remain optimistic, hopefully a little luck will come our way.

I third the motion to recognize the Mods (bigwave, mich, max) to performing the unenviable task of calming the angry masses. Drinks on me as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Rich T. said:

Not only are they certain to add shows at most cities, but Ticketmaster is likely to release more tickets to the existing "sold out" shows.  It's happened for me before that I just checked on some random evening a few weeks after the fact, to find that GA tickets were available (and were then gone 5 minutes later after I made my purchase).

Well, I will hope for the best.  If I get tickets, I'll be seeing them at SAP Center, too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly think this verified fan nonsense is complete bs, in the way it was heralded to stop scalpers.

Especially given the ridiculous decision to allow people in the Citi pre-sale 4 tickets. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎01‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:49 PM, bigwave said:

 

Been waiting 24 hours and have had 2 replies asking me to wait 12 hours and that someone would help, this aint right folks FFS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One unanswered item...how will drops work now? I usually source my tickets through drops close to the show date, often a day or two out, once the stage has been put in. As we have two red zones this tour (one reason for the reduced GA distribution) I'd suggest GA drop potential is quite high until things sort themselves out. I can't see TM reaching out to waitlisted verified fans (that would cost money) so I assume drops will be an old fashioned free for all. Or not?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, chrissy1967 said:

I never mind paying the fan club fee...it's pretty much the only membership I always keep up on.  I don't think it is outrageous to "pay to play."  They do include downloads and special surprises, that alone is worth the price for me. A few times I was on the losing side of first opportunity tickets, but I found other ways to get tickets. I hope everyone that wants to see them will end up with tickets. If you don't get hold of them now, check resale on Ticketmaster closer to the show date. Social media is also a great way to score tickets closer to show-time, lots of U2 fan sites will have ticket sales between fans. 

some people wanting to travel to the other part of the world to see them, you cant do that with no tickets

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am still finding it hard to believe that this tour U2.com has intentionally decided that after  12 years or more allowing paid subscribers a few guaranteed tickets each tour that they would change this to a lottery system for subscribers and not be clear about it.

I think it was an error and a mistake. I think they decided to do VF fan for the general sales and in turn instead of dealing with the sub sales separately were convinced by TM that they could easily handle both. I believe subs were all supposed to be guaranteed 2 tix.   I believe the lesser powers that be at U2.com were under the impression that the paid subs were guaranteed a code for their subsciption as they have been ALWAYS!

Live Nation runs this site and owns TM. They thought they could deal with it. They could not. Corporate miscommnication. I remember the Vertigo sales as well. in 2005 Website and online tech was nothing like it is today. I understood problems then because the tech was a problem. Now there is no excuse. I am sorry for all the fans here that were unable to get what they paid for - a chance to buy some tickets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got the codes for both the u2  fan presale and citi fan presale NO LUCK for GA for Nashville!

I actually had 4 Ga tickets via Citi & was unlocked  in "waiting for verification" for 15 minutes, then lost it.

Called Ticket master...nothing they could do....

All that was available was $300+ tickets, or behind the stage....

No thanks.....I've been a fan or 34 years.....and tickets have always been a sore spot for me.....because I never have had equal opportunity for GA tickets. I have always had to outsource them...whether by ebay or scalper, because I can't get them Via the fan pre-sales.

It defeats the whole purpose, right????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shouldnt long standing fan club members be able to buy more than 2 tickets? Why is it that Citi Card holders can buy 4? What happened to the loyalty! Got my code over a day late after venting and refuse to pay over 600 for a VIP ticket because thats the only way to get a good seat! Never thought I would say this but I will not be spending money to travel and see them this tour! If they come locally to Florida maybe! Its ashame that this has happened! Maybe they should learn from Pearl Jam and how they run their fanclub! They dont tour with a big production and keep costs down but they always sellout! Maybe next tour keep the big rig at home, cater to your loyal fans and make it more about the music again! We dont need the fancy lights after all of these years, weve seen them already!

2 hours ago, james busick said:

While this presale was obviously a disaster for many, it probably worked perfectly for thousands.  I still don’t believe that it was a lottery for paid U2.com members. Something obviously went wrong, but I doubt that TM or the band would consider it to be the unmitigated disaster that it is being portrayed as here. Maybe I’m wrong, but the vast majority of people who got the tickets they wanted won’t bother to comment here so we have no way of knowing if the people who got shut out are in the minority.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I called TM today to see if I can get a code since I was told I was going to get a code and then I was denied a code. I was told that sorry you were not selected to get a code. I told them that they have sent codes to  other people who are in the same situation. They did not care. I don't know what to do now. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Oh, I am in the Experience group and have had an account since they went to  the internet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, unforgettableu2 said:

I have always had to outsource them...whether by ebay or scalper, because I can't get them Via the fan pre-sales.

  I know it is very easy to say this, but the more you support scapers/ebay, the worse it's going to get.  I'm not criticizing you nor am I suggesting what you do.  Everyone and their brother has started scalping tickets, if even a few, to pay for their tickets or make even more money.  I don't know what the answer is.  I call my representatives and tell them both sides can agree that scalping is not good and maybe they could do something. (In America here)  It's only one call, but if everyone who got left out of the presale called...maybe they'd listen with it being an election year.  It's been on the floor a couple times, but nothing came out of it that I know of, however; it's gotten so much worse.  I think they should shut down secondary ticket brokers.  It's an uphill battle, but I call nonetheless.  It is generally a much shorter wait than calling TM.  :)

Edited by Manohlive
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was fortunate enough to get tickets on Tuesday, however I do have something weird to report.....

On my first attempt I had two tickets sitting right there in my cart but when I hit "confirm" I got a message that another fan had beat me to the tickets and to try again. How can those tickets be snatched when I was checking out with them?

This has never happened to me in all my concert going days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, nitz1 said:

I am still finding it hard to believe that this tour U2.com has intentionally decided that after  12 years or more allowing paid subscribers a few guaranteed tickets each tour that they would change this to a lottery system for subscribers and not be clear about it.

I think it was an error and a mistake. I think they decided to do VF fan for the general sales and in turn instead of dealing with the sub sales separately were convinced by TM that they could easily handle both. I believe subs were all supposed to be guaranteed 2 tix.   I believe the lesser powers that be at U2.com were under the impression that the paid subs were guaranteed a code for their subsciption as they have been ALWAYS!

Live Nation runs this site and owns TM. They thought they could deal with it. They could not. Corporate miscommnication. I remember the Vertigo sales as well. in 2005 Website and online tech was nothing like it is today. I understood problems then because the tech was a problem. Now there is no excuse. I am sorry for all the fans here that were unable to get what they paid for - a chance to buy some tickets.

This whole texting your presales code method really confounds me.  BTW, I still haven't gotten my code, although I stopped hoping for it about an hour after tickets went on sale here in S.F.

My biggest complaint is: how do you advise TM that you didn't get a code--on the day that you were supposed to get it--in time for them to text you a new code? Trying to call them before the sale totally didn't work, due to high call volumes.

I much prefer getting a code by email days before the sale.  This way if I didn't get an email, I could contact someone at TM or U2.com and they could research it, and give me one.  But not getting a text and not being able to get anyone on the phone on the day of the sale is stupid.

I'm totally fine with pay-to-play and have been for twenty years.  If for any other reason (although there are many) is the peace of mind knowing that I'd get in early.  What is so frustrating is seeing how poorly this was executed.  And yeah, I know that the overwhelming majority of folks who got tickets aren't posting here.

Edited by 504jumper
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 504jumper said:

...

My biggest complaint is: how do you advise TM that you didn't get a code--on the day that you were supposed to get it--in time for them to text you a new code? Trying to call them before the sale totally didn't work, due to high call volumes.

...

At the suggestion of another post here, or on my twitter feed (I can't recall 100%), I sent a DM to @TMFanSupport a couple of hours before the presale started. They didn't get back to me at all.

I also sent a DM to the Canadian TM support and they DID get back to...20 minutes after the presale started.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i do not care about scalpers, america is the land of plenty and ...money !

if you can get money because some people can afford paying several hundred dollars, whats the matter ?

its the law of supply and demand, only basic capitalism, what else ?

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 504jumper said:

This whole texting your presales code method really confounds me.  BTW, I still haven't gotten my code, although I stopped hoping for it about an hour after tickets went on sale here in S.F.

My biggest complaint is: how do you advise TM that you didn't get a code--on the day that you were supposed to get it--in time for them to text you a new code? Trying to call them before the sale totally didn't work, due to high call volumes.

I much prefer getting a code by email days before the sale.  This way if I didn't get an email, I could contact someone at TM or U2.com and they could research it, and give me one.  But not getting a text and not being able to get anyone on the phone on the day of the sale is stupid.

I'm totally fine with pay-to-play and have been for twenty years.  If for any other reason (although there are many) is the peace of mind knowing that I'd get in early.  What is so frustrating is seeing how poorly this was executed.  And yeah, I know that the overwhelming majority of folks who got tickets aren't posting here.

I just called them -- I think I am in the exact situation you are in-- and they told me I was out of luck and would not be getting a code. Long term fans are absolutely getting screwed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone find it interesting that they have not added any additional dates to the cities already announced?  There is a week open between MSG and Chicago.  There are days open after Chicago.  By now, don't they usually add dates?  Maybe they'll delay adding them and get this straightened out so there can be another presale for all who missed out on this one?  One can hope...   If memory serves me, they already added extra shows to Chicago for the IE tour at this point of the presales.  It seems weird not one extra show has been announced.  There are so many days padded in between cities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, enriquediaz said:

At the suggestion of another post here, or on my twitter feed (I can't recall 100%), I sent a DM to @TMFanSupport a couple of hours before the presale started. They didn't get back to me at all.

I also sent a DM to the Canadian TM support and they DID get back to...20 minutes after the presale started.

I didn't think to DM Canadian customer support, but it's good to know. What's their email address?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Manohlive said:

Does anyone find it interesting that they have not added any additional dates to the cities already announced?  There is a week open between MSG and Chicago.  There are days open after Chicago.  By now, don't they usually add dates?  Maybe they'll delay adding them and get this straightened out so there can be another presale for all who missed out on this one?  One can hope...   If memory serves me, they already added extra shows to Chicago for the IE tour at this point of the presales.  It seems weird not one extra show has been announced.  There are so many days padded in between cities.

I'm sure they will announce additional dates, but after the public on-sale. There's still tickets to sell for the first nights when the public on-sale arrives. I'm sure they want to almost sell these out completely before announcing additional dates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, trielen29 said:

i do not care about scalpers, america is the land of plenty and ...money !

if you can get money because some people can afford paying several hundred dollars, whats the matter ?

its the law of supply and demand, only basic capitalism, what else ?

With all due respect, I could not disagree with you more.  I despise scalpers.  They are half the reason concerts have gotten so outrageously expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jimbull said:

I just called them -- I think I am in the exact situation you are in-- and they told me I was out of luck and would not be getting a code. Long term fans are absolutely getting screwed.

Yeah, we're gonna have to wait until Monday. But it's not looking good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cpp203 said:

I'm sure they will announce additional dates, but after the public on-sale. There's still tickets to sell for the first nights when the public on-sale arrives. I'm sure they want to almost sell these out completely before announcing additional dates.

I think so too.  I'm hoping they can arrange a presale for U2.com fans who got shut out of this one.  I cannot see U2 not being upset about this presale.  When there were problems with the Vertigo presale, Larry posted a sincere apology.  I think they also gave us something it's probably best not to mention here.  I have no inside information but don't want to start rumors either.  There's got to be someone who remembers what they did but they did something.  I do not buy that the band does not care and it's just about millions of dollars.

Edited by Manohlive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to know what we can do. Are we just totally screwed by U2.com and Ticketmaster? How hard is it to give a long term fan who has never let their fan club membership lapse... a code for the chance to purchase tickets? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Manohlive & Cork vegan...

Yes, addressing Manohlive first....

I agree, scalping is terrible on all levels...for the band and for the fans....neither benefits....

But, how else do I approach this situation when I want to see my favorite band of 34 years.....in which I take legal and necessary steps to procure GA tickets....only to have none available or access to? My first concert was at 12 years old, unforgettable fire......Joshua tree (lottery system), Zoo TV(nightmare to get tickets) Paid $1,000 for balcony. ECT. ECT. ECT. Repeat rise....same ole same ole routine.....I expect this crap....and been enduring it all these years.....the anxiety I get every tour....I am getting too old for this!

As for Your statement @ Cork vegan...

I just can't comprehend the ticket master corks(no pun intended).....I had  4 Ga tickets....that paralyzed my screen....for 15 minutes....then....Gone of the face of the earth. And, sadly, that was more opportunity/quantity available (ever), than via U2 fan pre sales....

I just don't get it....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...