Sign in to follow this  
bigwave

U2.com 2018 Subscription FAQ Thread

19 minutes ago, Hoachy said:

It is 12 years since we all received this from Larry, I am not sure that things sound that much better for a lot of people in this presale. From some posts it sounds as if the U2.com membership has been useless in securing tickets for them and has failed to address the problems Larry highlighted below in 2005. I know U2 care about their fans but when you eventually create something so complex, corporate and complicated to "protect" fans from scalpers then it may be time to go back and think up the ticketing process all over again.

"This is not something that I would normally do, but I feel that I have to do something to redress this situation. There was a mess up in the way the tickets were distributed through U2.com for the Vertigo pre-sale. Some of it was beyond our control, but some of it wasn’t. I am now in the process of figuring out a way of distributing the tickets for our intended return to North America in the fall. The only fair way of doing this, is to give U2 Propaganda members, who are now U2.com members, priority in the queue. After that, people will be given priority in the order in which they joined. Many people who joined U2.com and didn’t get tickets are understandably angry. They now have the option to get a full refund of their subscription fee. The idea that our long-time U2 fans and scalpers competed for U2 tickets through our own website is appalling to me. I want to apologise to you who have suffered that. If your U2.com pre-sale experience has left you disappointed, I hope this will go some way towards reassuring you of our total commitment to our audience. Slainte Larry. 

By the way, a note to those so-called U2 fans who are quick to accuse U2 of unseemly behaviour, I’ve only got two words for you…"

So what has gone wrong the management has changed and probably gone with the highest bidder to secure the selling of tickets and they don't give a shit about fans just ££££££££££.I've been a fan club member since 1987 and used to get tickets in my hand before the public even knew U2 were playing.It's always been a struggle to get tickets for U2 in a general sale and this is why we are all members of the U2 fan club.We still haven't received our gift for this year yet and we won't even no what gift we will get for 2018 but If I do not receive a presale code and get my two tickets to one gig.I will be very pissed off and will not be renewing in 2019.I just think U2 have gone to corporate and the price of tickets + booking fee is pricing out the normal working man  and woman.Rant over and good luck to everyone who wants tickets. 

28 minutes ago, jimbull said:

I bet the band does not know of the problems that everyone is having.... The press needs  to get on this.

I bet the band does.  I got second row from the extra tix code for Vertigo as I was a Prop member.  This was after getting great tix in Chicago.  I think they'll address it.

2 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

I bet the band does.  I got second row from the extra tix code for Vertigo as I was a Prop member.  This was after getting great tix in Chicago.  I think they'll address it.

I hope so!

48 minutes ago, Turkued said:

In revenge, in Europe let's hope Barclays sponsors the tour with a pre-sale that knocks the Americans out!

We have those here too...sorry.

:)

1 hour ago, jeepster65 said:

thanks for the reply though, just gutted that my bucket list moment of seeing a band I first seen in 1980 in MSG being taken from me, very angry as I have spent weeks planning my trip from Scotland

There's still the opportunity in the general onsale on Monday to fill your bucket.

22 minutes ago, colincooper said:

it may be time to go back and think up the ticketing process all over again.

I agree.  I miss the days of getting my butt out of bed at 4 AM and standing in line at record stores so I could get good seats.  Not many are willing to do that in January in Wisconsin and the diehard fans got the seats.

started a thread in the zoo subscribers general forum but won't let me post link here!, if you had no luck at all and presale did not work your way, please add you name in there, thank

12 minutes ago, malaboo said:

thanks for the reply though, just gutted that my bucket list moment of seeing a band I first seen in 1980 in MSG being taken from me, very angry as I have spent weeks planning my trip from Scotland

They will probably add more shows to MSG so maybe you shall see them!

16 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

I agree.  I miss the days of getting my butt out of bed at 4 AM and standing in line at record stores so I could get good seats.  Not many are willing to do that in January in Wisconsin and the diehard fans got the seats.

I have very fond memories of camping out overnight for U2, REM, Rolling Stones.... Sure, it was a pain in the ass, but it was part of the experience that kids today will never have.

I wonder if it's presales like this that keep Springsteen away from fan club stuff. Surely he and Landau hear about this kind of thing.

16 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

Honestly, I don't miss those days. The lack of other responsibilities that allowed me to get up at 4am (or stay up until 4am) was fun on one level. These days, that is simply impossible, regardless of how much I may want to see a concert - a dog that is looking for a walk at 5:45 every single morning and a teenager who needs to be rousted out of bed at 6:45 for school (or sometimes earlier for hockey games) makes for a different, more complicated life, but one that I wouldn't trade for anything. OK, the work that ties me to a computer 6+ hours a day is something I could do without, but that's what's paying for these tickets.

57 minutes ago, enriquediaz said:

This is their twitter account: @TicketmasterCA

(No idea about email.)

Thanks. When I first saw @TicketmasterCA I thought it was an email address.  Just realized it was a Twitter handle.  I really don't tweet, but now considering it so that I can have another way of finding out what's going on with tickets.

1 hour ago, Manohlive said:

yeah I remember queuing in 1987 for Glasgow tickets to go with my Edinburgh tickets and having an absolute ball with the folks around me, I didn't have to have a $40 membership for maybe a chance of tickets every few years and the guys in the queue were always up for a song and a laugh. The Good old days. 

With the volume of tickets they are selling you would expect a certain percentage of problems to occur and with a band where they have previous experience of a ticketing fiasco you would expect a little extra care to be taken to make sure that it didn't happen again. Yet in the case it would almost appear that the mix of their attempts to thwart the scalpers and the corporate tie-ins and album tie-ins have placed extra unnecessary pressure on the ticketing process. As a Scottish member hoping for some Scottish shows there was a definite lack of clarity about how we should go about it and how the ticketmaster tie-in would affect  fans outside North America which caused more hassle and unrest among fans. The Management team need to review this for next time.

(Sorry mate I removed a line here because I misunderstood the last part of your post, apologies.) 

Edited by Hoachy
  • Brilliant 1

1 hour ago, Hoachy said:

It is 12 years since we all received this from Larry, I am not sure that things sound that much better for a lot of people in this presale. From some posts it sounds as if the U2.com membership has been useless in securing tickets for them and has failed to address the problems Larry highlighted below in 2005. I know U2 care about their fans but when you eventually create something so complex, corporate and complicated to "protect" fans from scalpers then it may be time to go back and think up the ticketing process all over again.

"This is not something that I would normally do, but I feel that I have to do something to redress this situation. There was a mess up in the way the tickets were distributed through U2.com for the Vertigo pre-sale. Some of it was beyond our control, but some of it wasn’t. I am now in the process of figuring out a way of distributing the tickets for our intended return to North America in the fall. The only fair way of doing this, is to give U2 Propaganda members, who are now U2.com members, priority in the queue. After that, people will be given priority in the order in which they joined. Many people who joined U2.com and didn’t get tickets are understandably angry. They now have the option to get a full refund of their subscription fee. The idea that our long-time U2 fans and scalpers competed for U2 tickets through our own website is appalling to me. I want to apologise to you who have suffered that. If your U2.com pre-sale experience has left you disappointed, I hope this will go some way towards reassuring you of our total commitment to our audience. Slainte Larry. 

By the way, a note to those so-called U2 fans who are quick to accuse U2 of unseemly behaviour, I’ve only got two words for you…"

I remember this well - Unfortunately - a new website and platform were built for the 360 tour and if you look at the date you have been a member since, I believe it only goes back as far as that new site date which was 2009. I know mine says 2009 and I have been a member since like 2001. So seniority will now work up to a point - but not prior to that date - I agree - this is the only way it should be done. And in no way should you be able to sign up for a membership the day before a presale and get a code - even if it is delayed one day! The site and TM have promoted this the last 2 tours and that is just a money grab.

1 hour ago, Turkued said:

Same here. That happened to me several times and was absolutely frustrating. This TM interface really stinks.

This happened to me yesterday as well, three times!!! Still ticketless!! 

3 hours ago, Zoonation76 said:

There will probably be almost double the amount of shows.  Which is why I am waiting.  Looking at the schedule they will likely play 4 at MSG alone.  And like others have said, the fan community for U2 is incredible.  I got floor tickets for the tour opener at face value the week before the show because of how great the community is.  If you are willing to invest the time, you will get GA's.  

I just wish they would be honest about what they are doing.  Or, at a minimum, don;t spew non-sense to us like they actually give a shit about the "real" fans.  They don't.  They so very clearly don't.  They leverage us.

Agreed.  It's like you wrote in another comment:  they might as well sell die-hards the crappy seats, because the other seats/GA will sell themselves to the general public.  Don't fall for that trap.  There is always a way.

13 minutes ago, Rich T. said:

Agreed.  It's like you wrote in another comment:  they might as well sell die-hards the crappy seats, because the other seats/GA will sell themselves to the general public.  Don't fall for that trap.  There is always a way.

That's reassuring. I'll keep the faith. Hoping the add a 2nd to San Jose.

1 minute ago, 504jumper said:

That's reassuring. I'll keep the faith. Hoping the add a 2nd to San Jose.

I'll be amazed if they don't.  But even for the May 7 date, they will release more GA tickets (maybe even on the day of show), and if you show up in the morning at the venue, some U2 fan will have an extra ticket.  It "never" fails.

1 hour ago, Manohlive said:

Good post.  I remember camping out for Zoo TV with my sister at World Music Theatre in Tinley Park, suburb if IL since they didn't play SF that tour.  Was great slept outside, got good seats.  there was no GA then.  Now it's all digital and controllable.  Can you imagine what it will be like when all money is digital, no cash lol.  This is nothing compared to what's coming.  But yeah those were the days!

2 hours ago, jimbull said:

I bet the band does not know of the problems that everyone is having.... The press needs  to get on this.

Bono's an investor in shopping malls in tinbuktu financed with money he is sheltering from tax (his choice) in Malta, and you think he doesn't know that his touring company is rigging the system to maximize profit?  

I've got some swamp land to sell ya...

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Rich T. said:

I'll be amazed if they don't.  But even for the May 7 date, they will release more GA tickets (maybe even on the day of show), and if you show up in the morning at the venue, some U2 fan will have an extra ticket.  It "never" fails.

Good to know. I'm going to need 2 (one for the lady) and I'm hoping it doesn't come down to the day of.  GA tickets are an all-day affair.  The last time I did them in San Jose was Vertigo '05 and I got there in the morning to secure a bracelet.  Not sure how GAs are handled at SJ now, but I'd like to lock them up before so that I can schedule the time off (and the lady, too).  GAs always require a little prep-work.

But this is good stuff, Rich T, thanks, man.  BTW, my name is Rich, too.

1 hour ago, Rich T. said:

Agreed.  Most of us are travelling to go to the show anyway and should be relatively flexible given the dates are 7 months+ away.  The key is to be patient and wait for the added shows.  given all the uproar, maybe they throw the diehard fans a bone and open up even half as many GA's as they did for Citi ;)  I want red zone tickets (old, don't like to wait in lines) and those seem way harder to get this time around.  we'll see.

God himself couldn't convince me that this whole thing wasn't completely deliberate though.  Like I said, leveraging diehards is the easiest way to hedge your bets out fo the gate when booking a new tour.  And that is exactly what they did.  Charged us to do it too.  I suspect the tickets get allocated like this after tour announced:

1.  announce about 50% of the shows you plan on doing if you have the demand pegged right.

2.  Immediately make deal with secondary markets.  Spread the risk.  Let them try and gauge demand and price the tickets to maximize profit.  Give them a bunch of awesome seats though.  They deserve it!

3.  Set aside the best seats for the rich people who can't be bothered and will pay $650 for a crap buffet and cheap wine to go along with their souvenir lanyard.  Most won't show up for it anyway.   The "Platinum Package"!  lol

4.  Stir up the diehard fan base.  Con them (that's right, I said "con") into thinking that they will have early access to good tickets if they shell out another $50 for the fan club.

5.  Do the diehard pre-sale first.  Only make available the tickets that occupy the promoter's sweet spot (weak tickets at maximum prices).  These are your second deckers on the side in the 10th row + or your back of the arena lower deckers for $325 that only a rich person or an idiot would buy.  Many diehards will bite though.  Exploit the fuck out of that.

6.  have a second presale with your corporate bed buddies.  Bought and paid for.  Second hedge here.  Give them (Citi) lots of tickets as these are more casual fans.  4 tickets for these people instead of the 2 for the diehards.  Way better access to cheap floor tickets too.  These people aren't paying $325 for crap tickets.  Are you kidding me?  Sell, sell, sell! 

7.  General sale.  Time to start really turning a profit.  Release a small amount of tickets that haven't already been addressed in points 1-6.  Well, except for point 4.  release those.  they are overpriced shitty tickets anyway.  some people will buy them!  Make it difficult enough to get good tickets that it stirs up demand and people start talking.  Hopefully funnel people to the platinum roast beef dinner and barely drinkable wine tickets.

8.  Add shows.  people are talking.  Repeat steps 1 -7 for those.  Maybe throw the diehards a bone on the added shows, but maybe not if demand is through the roof.  they will find a way to get to the show anyway...

9.  As show draws closer both the promoter and the secondary market start dropping prices to close the delta.  Bigger risk here for the secondary market.  Osery and co. already made their money on that block of tickets before one was sold to the public.  And, Osery and Co only really have to get rid of the seat/roast chicken/all-the-StellaArtois-you-can-drink tickets.  Those will be dropped in price right up until showtime.  (see: Arcade Fire)

Anyway, this is business.  I get it.  But don't piss on our leg and tell us it is raining.  It is really distasteful to pretend you care about the fans, when all you really care about is drinking that '86 Chateau Petrus next summer on whatever Yacht you and Bono stumble onto hungover (does Bono even get hungover?) after partying the night away in his Castle in Eze.

Just sayin...

• Brilliant 1

54 minutes ago, 504jumper said:

Good to know. I'm going to need 2 (one for the lady) and I'm hoping it doesn't come down to the day of.  GA tickets are an all-day affair.  The last time I did them in San Jose was Vertigo '05 and I got there in the morning to secure a bracelet.  Not sure how GAs are handled at SJ now, but I'd like to lock them up before so that I can schedule the time off (and the lady, too).  GAs always require a little prep-work.

But this is good stuff, Rich T, thanks, man.  BTW, my name is Rich, too.

From one Rich to another, I hope (and believe) you'll score your tickets.  I treat GA as an all-day affair as well, starting at 8:00 AM.  There are a few total fan(atics) who get there the night before, but it doesn't actually improve any outcomes for where you end up standing against the catwalk.  If you get there in the AM,  to get the bracelet or stamp, then you can be right up against the catwalk for the show.  In 2015 in San Jose they let you come back at 5:00 PM for entry into the arena, but it's worth heading around to the back around 1:00 PM to see if the "lads" come out to shake hands and sign things.

33 minutes ago, Zoonation76 said:

Agreed.  Most of us are travelling to go to the show anyway and should be relatively flexible given the dates are 7 months+ away.  The key is to be patient and wait for the added shows.  given all the uproar, maybe they throw the diehard fans a bone and open up even half as many GA's as they did for Citi ;)  I want red zone tickets (old, don't like to wait in lines) and those seem way harder to get this time around.  we'll see.

God himself couldn't convince me that this whole thing wasn't completely deliberate though.  Like I said, leveraging diehards is the easiest way to hedge your bets out fo the gate when booking a new tour.  And that is exactly what they did.  Charged us to do it too.  I suspect the tickets get allocated like this after tour announced:

1.  announce about 50% of the shows you plan on doing if you have the demand pegged right.

2.  Immediately make deal with secondary markets.  Spread the risk.  Let them try and gauge demand and price the tickets to maximize profit.  Give them a bunch of awesome seats though.  They deserve it!

3.  Set aside the best seats for the rich people who can't be bothered and will pay $650 for a crap buffet and cheap wine to go along with their souvenir lanyard.  Most won't show up for it anyway.   The "Platinum Package"!  lol

4.  Stir up the diehard fan base.  Con them (that's right, I said "con") into thinking that they will have early access to good tickets if they shell out another $50 for the fan club.

5.  Do the diehard pre-sale first.  Only make available the tickets that occupy the promoter's sweet spot (weak tickets at maximum prices).  These are your second deckers on the side in the 10th row + or your back of the arena lower deckers for $325 that only a rich person or an idiot would buy.  Many diehards will bite though.  Exploit the fuck out of that.

6.  have a second presale with your corporate bed buddies.  Bought and paid for.  Second hedge here.  Give them (Citi) lots of tickets as these are more casual fans.  4 tickets for these people instead of the 2 for the diehards.  Way better access to cheap floor tickets too.  These people aren't paying $325 for crap tickets.  Are you kidding me?  Sell, sell, sell! 

7.  General sale.  Time to start really turning a profit.  Release a small amount of tickets that haven't already been addressed in points 1-6.  Well, except for point 4.  release those.  they are overpriced shitty tickets anyway.  some people will buy them!  Make it difficult enough to get good tickets that it stirs up demand and people start talking.  Hopefully funnel people to the platinum roast beef dinner and barely drinkable wine tickets.

8.  Add shows.  people are talking.  Repeat steps 1 -7 for those.  Maybe throw the diehards a bone on the added shows, but maybe not if demand is through the roof.  they will find a way to get to the show anyway...

9.  As show draws closer both the promoter and the secondary market start dropping prices to close the delta.  Bigger risk here for the secondary market.  Osery and co. already made their money on that block of tickets before one was sold to the public.  And, Osery and Co only really have to get rid of the seat/roast chicken/all-the-StellaArtois-you-can-drink tickets.  Those will be dropped in price right up until showtime.  (see: Arcade Fire)

Anyway, this is business.  I get it.  But don't piss on our leg and tell us it is raining.  It is really distasteful to pretend you care about the fans, when all you really care about is drinking that '86 Chateau Petrus next summer on whatever Yacht you and Bono stumble onto hungover (does Bono even get hungover?) after partying the night away in his Castle in Eze.

Just sayin...

I think you've got it pretty much figured out.  Our job as fans is to explore every avenue to get the seats we actually want, by using patience and cunning, unless we are part of the fortunate ones (like I was this time) to actually get 2 GA tickets in return for the extra $40.

22 hours ago, edge2u said:

I understand what you’re getting at, but the reality is that tickets are still available in the presales for the limited shows announced so far.  The initial shows of each city should always favor the Experienced group.  The sad fact is that there are Innoncence members out there who became a member in the last few minutes before registration closed that have presale tickets while Propaganda-era Experienced members did not even get a code.  Damn, not even a code.  Think about that.  Forget about getting the tickets with the code.  They didn’t even get a code.  Wow.  Just wow.  

Please don’t assume that just because someone is in Innocence group they just signed up right before registration. Of course first dibs should go to people who didn’t have a lapse - but sometimes it happens. My annual renewal is in December so my lapse was only a few days. I’ve accepted the penalty of being in Innocence group for three tours now. In each of these instances, tickets were available on resale sites before Innocence presale even opened. That means there are some people in the first group who are buying and selling. Is it fair that a scalper who doesn’t let his membership lapse can buy tix before a fan in Innocence has the chance to buy? Nope - but how do you stop that? It’s never going to be perfect because there will be true fans caught up in the fray. But I’ll submit that there may be some folks in both groups (who are probably not commenting) that have an idea of why they weren’t sent codes. Important that the holes be fixed that resulted in  true fans not getting codes so this doesn’t happen again. I am curious how so many people get GA tix for many shows in a tour, if they are sold out during presale and the limit is 2 or 4? I’ve accepted that I get one good show and general public choice for the rest - I’m clearly doing something wrong. 

To me, one of the best solutions would be to cancel any tickets that show up on Stubhub at inflated prices or whatever without any refund. Seems like a pretty easy solution to me.