svoot

Will there be Additional Tour Dates in US (2018)

they may have finally got too greedy.  none of the shows are even close to selling out (except for Montreal and NYC).   the absurd hoops to jump through (which did not have any effect at all (see ebay/stubhub/etc) combined with a price point that is just out of touch means none of these shows have sold out.  how do you add more, when no one is willing to pay 3$400 to sit in the second deck for the first night?

they just keep doing really stupid things.  it is like they are magnets for bad press.  but they do it to themselves.

I'd separate out the issue of whether the verified process worked to slow down scalpers/bots versus whether prices are too high or not.  My sense is that the system did work far better than past sales to limit scalpers - limit, not prevent being the key. For scalpers to game the new system, they needed both memberships in the fan club and one cell number per membership.  That starts to run up costs and complexity in a way that isn't easy to work around.  In my case, despite not working my way to the correct site until 15 or 20 minutes after the Experience presale had started, I still got some Red Zones, and my daughter got good seats in the lower level at the start of the Innocence presale. Some past sales all of those good tickets were gone much faster.  Fewer scalpers?  I think so.  Prices too high?  Possibly. 

i have some swamp land to sell you if you think that general fans navigated the code fiasco just for the privilege to buy general onsale tickets faster than the scalpers did.  not a chance.  When was the last time a general arena tour by U2 did not announce multiple additional dates the day the general onsale started?   Hell, they barely even announced many shows to start with.  They screwed this up royally.  on every level.  And, it is going to cost them a few more shows.  Watch.

Can't wait for the egg on the face moment where they have to, gulp, let casual fans just sign onto ticketmaster and, you know, try and buy tickets to a concert!

Go have a look through the secondary market sites and tell me that scalping was prevented on any level.   Although, my own theory is that Osery/TM/Live Nation are in bed with those entities anyway.  They  bought and paid for thousands and thousands of tickets before any fan even knew what the dates would be.

Edited by Zoonation76

So which shows are going to get cancelled later due to poor ticket sales..........errrrrr.......I mean "circumstances beyond the band's control."

None will be cancelled.  They will do the same thing that Arcade Fire had to do (under Live Nation).  Drastically reduce the prices of tickets as the shows approach.  Arcade Fire shows were still half empty, but you could get the tickets initially reserved in the "platinum package" - at $450 a piece - for $125 5 days before the show.

U2 can likely drum up enough demand on the existing shows that the drop won't be that drastic, but given this roll out, I doubt many second shows get added.  We may see a couple new cities (Toronto, Vancouver, etc) with traditional strong demand, but second shows in existing cities outside of NYC and CHI seem unlikely given this colossal fuck up.

1 minute ago, Zoonation76 said:

None will be cancelled.  They will do the same thing that Arcade Fire had to do (under Live Nation).  Drastically reduce the prices of tickets as the shows approach.  Arcade Fire shows were still half empty, but you could get the tickets initially reserved in the "platinum package" - at $450 a piece - for $125 5 days before the show.

U2 can likely drum up enough demand on the existing shows that the drop won't be that drastic, but given this roll out, I doubt many second shows get added.  We may see a couple new cities (Toronto, Vancouver, etc) with traditional strong demand, but second shows in existing cities outside of NYC and CHI seem unlikely given this colossal fuck up.

yeah, most events do dynamic pricing or they just sell them off to brokers for a discounted fee and take their losses. I would expect U2 will have to drop just a bit in price.

• Like 1

I am thinking that the more casual fans not necessarily following the news about the verified fan process were unaware of the deadline for registering by Saturday for the public on sale today. Therefore they were unable to buy tickets and that's why there are so many unpurchased tickets right now. But now those people have been on the Ticketmaster site and have seen that there is a requirement to register for the next round of public on sale dates, they will do that and more people will purchase tickets. That's my theory.

2 minutes ago, Clear31 said:

yeah, most events do dynamic pricing or they just sell them off to brokers for a discounted fee and take their losses. I would expect U2 will have to drop just a bit in price.

They will not "drop the price" per se, but they will release some of the VIP Party package tickets for regular sale - the $500+ tickets will quietly drop back to being $300 (the lanyards, party passes, drink tickets, etc. will vanish too).

Holding out for a Toronto show, personally. Montreal would have been way too pricey for me, as I'm on the east coast and have no friends/relatives in MTL. I'd be very surprised if they don't schedule a stop in TO at some point... With the way these tickets seem to be selling, though, who knows? It's crazy that there hasn't been a second MSG date added yet. I never would have thought that the Bell Centre would get a second show before MSG...

I hope I don't end up regretting my decision! The only tour I've missed over the last seventeen years was JT30, because the timing wasn't right and  also because it didn't feel right seeing U2 with no new material on board.

Edited by svdl2012

2 hours ago, Zoonation76 said:

they may have finally got too greedy.  none of the shows are even close to selling out (except for Montreal and NYC).   the absurd hoops to jump through (which did not have any effect at all (see ebay/stubhub/etc) combined with a price point that is just out of touch means none of these shows have sold out.  how do you add more, when no one is willing to pay 3$400 to sit in the second deck for the first night?

they just keep doing really stupid things.  it is like they are magnets for bad press.  but they do it to themselves.

True- they can't seem to Get Out Of Their Own Way!

• Brilliant 1

$325+ for almost all unobstructed lower level seats and the nicer upper level seats...  Who is scalping who again?  All the verified crap to "stop scalping" was just a misdirection to make you forget about their absurd pricing.

In my opinion, the VerifiedFan hoops stopped casual fans from buying, not scalpers. Scalpers cleaned up on GA. They don't buy nosebleed or overpriced seats, they buy tickets to maximize profit, and that's GA since they can now have them mailed. 

Terrible planning and the fans get screwed. I was really looking forward to this tour but never saw a single Chicago GA ticket in Innocence, Cute or general sale. 

The prices are definitely what deterred me. I got the Verified Fan code for LA but $300+ for an upper level seat is completely ridiculous. That's a different city! I can pay $100. I'd pay $150 in my own city. But I can't pay $300 for upper level in a city I'd have to travel to!

Hoping for a show in Western Canada. Vancouver, Calgary or Edmonton pls! Can't afford to fly to Montreal.