jreed

U2 has one album left in them after Experience

On 11/19/2017 at 5:49 PM, judas1 said:

Also, we've never seen a rock band. that have been on top for long, 40 years, been best friends for the entire time, made so much money, made so many relevant albums, (with some hiccups, according to them and critics ( not most of us U2 fans), sold out so many tours, been a media darling with no fallouts or distractions, make sure that their causes work and are relevant, seem to really enjoy what they are doing, and don't just go through the motions of being in a rock band, and had the best manager in the business

That is a very good point.  I can't think of another band where all of this is true.  It's got a be addictive to play and have all of us going nuts and singing and jumping and dancing.  Perhaps the question should be how long can we do that?  haha

• Like 1

I don't know why anyone would sit there and wonder if this is the last album.  They have been saying that about U2 since the 90's.  In the old day's,  lot's of bands broke up, and most of them got back together, if they weren't dead, or a drug addict.  U2 circumvented that, by not being drug addicts, or breaking up.  They took some real time off between albums, and it helps that they actually made some real money and could have afforded not to tour all the time.  If you were them, why would you retire, it's easy to say, I've made my millions and I want to retire, but put yourself in their position.  They have made the money, the glory etc, they all have their side projects, so they can't say, all I've done is the music and I need something more.  They take time to smell to flowers.  Why wouldn't you continue doing this, at your pace, as they have done, until you aren't able to do it.  Everyone is living into their 80's and 90's, and these guys have the best in medical care.  Sit back and enjoy the ride, and if they come out one day and say this is it, mourn or do whatever you have to at the time. There is so much more to to enjoy than mourning the death of your favorite band, when they haven't even given you a reason to think they want to retire.  If you really look at it in another light, there gust bust the asses when they want to make an album and when they are off, they are enjoying their lives in the south of France.

Enjoy life my friends, there is more out there in life, if you look.

• Like 3

These kind of predictions about the final tour/final album of a big band are pretty common.   U2 are now in a very very small and special group of still-active multi-generational bands who continue to make original music and can sell out a tour in minutes.  Their only rival in this respect is the Rolling Stones (massive Stones fan btw, hopefully seeing them live this year too!).  The Stones will stop, just like AC/DC did, when one of them passes.  While they can still sing and play, they'll continue doing what they love  What else could they do?  Same goes for U2. From what I saw at Twickenham last year, they still sound great live. What possible reason would there be to stop now?  The Stones btw haven't released an original album since A Bigger Bang in 2005.  But they have toured relentlessly, albeit in smaller and slower-paced way, since their 50th anniversary celebration in 2012.  I can easily visualise U2 continuing like this for another ten to fifteen years.   The comparator bands in the OP don't stand up to scrutiny (Beatles: stopped touring in 1966, split in 1970/Led Zep: split after Bonham's death in 1980, 11 year career.  Nirvana: seriously?!  Saw them live, terrible.  Cobain was a physical and emotional wreck and wanted out, had he not killed himself, I think In Utero would've been it anyway).

Edited by bf2152
More rants

Has anyone studied the Ticketmaster maps for the shows?

Thousands of seats unsold.  $680 for a "platinum" seat?  $330 to sit up top?  $106 for behind the stage?

It's sad.  This is not "selling out in minutes."

They are wonderful, yes.  God willing, I will see my 50th show in May.

But let's be honest.  They appear to be over-rating themselves.

As far as the Stones go, I don't get the criticism.  They have been very strong in the live shows I've caught in the past 3-4 years.  Always fun and exciting.  Charlie Watts is astonishing.

On 01/02/2018 at 12:06 AM, Manohlive said:

That is a very good point.  I can't think of another band where all of this is true.  It's got a be addictive to play and have all of us going nuts and singing and jumping and dancing.  Perhaps the question should be how long can we do that?  haha

Depeche mode are close to it in there own right maybe not as media fronted thou as far as being on top and making albums depeche have a massive fan base all over Europe and America and are still going strong.

On 2/1/2018 at 10:30 AM, bf2152 said:

Beatles: stopped touring in 1966, split in 1970

You probably know this, however; the Beatles were forced to stop touring because they could not hear themselves play due to all the screaming girls.  I'm still amazed how good they sounded playing on the rooftop for Let it Be.  They sounded great. 

• Thanks 1

On 01/02/2018 at 8:06 AM, Manohlive said:

MetallicA. a band that stuck together through the loss of a friend & band mate Cliff Burton RIP (1962-1986) a band that Bono acknowledges are way better than U2 in everyway heh.gif.e0dfb842c92528d46fb88c54c26e36f5.gif

"it was the f*cking Cow Palace!" you tell him Larry.

• Like 2

On 2/3/2018 at 2:26 PM, John908 said:

Depeche mode are close to it in there own right maybe not as media fronted thou as far as being on top and making albums depeche have a massive fan base all over Europe and America and are still going stro

I would love to go see them live.  I could not when they were in Chicago last.  Depeche Mode and The Cure are the two huge eighties bands I still want to see live.

On 2/1/2018 at 5:26 PM, detroitalan said:

Charlie Watts is astonishing.

I heard Mick Jagger speak of them timing Charlie to a metronome and that he was perfect.  They were all astounded how truly great he was.

I hope the band go on for another 20 years. Then maybe Australia will get to see them again. ?

• Haha 1

God ,this is a thoroughly depressing epitaph of a thread...The lads aren't even halfway through a tour and they've been retired ,split up and carted off to the rest home for the mega rich. Music is in their blood ,and Live music is their heartbeat.

In a few months time I go to see a 74 year old Roger Waters in the Point Depot ,a 74 year old that is still writing , and creates tours to match U2 ,there is nothing preventing U2 doing the same .Lets face it ,with their back catalogue they'll never be short of material.personally I look forward to the Joshua Tree 50  ,just hope to hell I can get 4 GA's for the Croke park gigs

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/31/2018 at 4:41 PM, robc said:

I agree the stadium tour was supposed to be I@E not Joshua but circumstance , not just Trump took over , Adams baby , Bono's health and so on .....  

That is interesting.  I had never heard of this.  I never conceived IE being a stadium tour.  I thought it was meant for indoors.  Thanks for posting and to the original poster as well.  Very interesting to try to conceive IE in a stadium.  Would the screen have been bigger?  If so, how would it have worked with them getting inside?  Would their images have been magnified?  Sure must be fun to design that stuff; lots of headaches and worries but seeing it all come off as well as they do must be an incredible feeling.

4 hours ago, redgavexile said:

God ,this is a thoroughly depressing epitaph of a thread...The lads aren't even halfway through a tour and they've been retired ,split up and carted off to the rest home for the mega rich. Music is in their blood ,and Live music is their heartbeat.

Thank you!  In two sentences you said what I've spent paragraphs preaching.  

On 07/02/2018 at 10:07 AM, Manohlive said:

I would love to go see them live.  I could not when they were in Chicago last.  Depeche Mode and The Cure are the two huge eighties bands I still want to see live.

depeche mode are absouletly superb live..

On 03/11/2017 at 9:51 PM, yardie said:

Great first post.;)

Would agree with some of that - but sure 50 is the new 40, and 70 is the new 50. It's not an age thing for me - it's quality of the music - but U2 have climbed that tree that very few do - any release is now an 'eagerly awaited release!'

It's a good place for them to be. And, y'know what? It's not a bad place for fans of their music to be too.

The thing for me about this band is - my life, original line up, health is with them n me thus far - that's not the norm - when's something going to give!:mellow:

personally i agree what most of what u said  thou i would like 2 albums before they went one being an accoustic of there greatest hits with an intimate tour small venues yeah i know tickets would be like gold thou maybe 2 to 400 thousand venues small stage maybe the size of the b stage then go out with a bang full world tour everywere not just london every city with a stadium i myself think they did 360 just to soon thats the one i would love to see them retire on big bold beautiful to me that tour was the stage show peaked would take hell of allot to top it..

On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 2:18 PM, BigBunny said:

MetallicA. a band that stuck together through the loss of a friend & band mate Cliff Burton RIP (1962-1986) a band that Bono acknowledges are way better than U2 in everyway heh.gif.e0dfb842c92528d46fb88c54c26e36f5.gif

"it was the f*cking Cow Palace!" you tell him Larry.

METALLICA was in PARIS last september 8  .......... Amazing Metallica & their Metclub "Family" are Amazing ...

One Year Later U2 Will be in Paris ... with their U2Fans

Poster Paris 08 09 2017.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John908 said:

depeche mode are absouletly superb live..

It is ironic because they just announced a show in Chicago, which is near Milwaukee where I live.

May I say I'm choosing to go see Justin Timberlake over Depeche Mode and remain a self respecting member of U2.com?  :huh:

Edited by Manohlive

On 2/1/2018 at 5:26 PM, detroitalan said:

As far as the Stones go, I don't get the criticism.  They have been very strong in the live shows I've caught in the past 3-4 years.  Always fun and exciting.  Charlie Watts is astonishing.

The Stones cost $600 to see when they played Summerfest in Milwaukee.  Those were not platinum seats.  Those were any decent seat.  I wanted to see them just to see Mick dance and strut.  The only act I might consider for that price would have been The Three Tenors.   I am not arguing when I ask what the difference is in that the Stones charge more than U2 does and their productions are impotent next to U2.  I don't care how big the stage is.   I won't pay $600 to see Hamilton and I want to see it more than anything; possibly ever.  Those are face value seats as well.  I keep going for the ten buck lottery tickets.

If you say the Stones sound great, I'm willing to take it at face value and be glad I was wrong when I said they suck.  That being said-I am confused by your criticism of U2 charging $300+ when the Stones charge twice that and none are platinum seats.  I am not arguing.  I can't follow your reasoning.  Am I confused?  It happens. I will not take offense if it is, yet again, my reality. 

Edited by Manohlive

8 hours ago, doctornickriviera said:

I’m seeing Taylor Swift soon...........

That just made my day.  I'm laughing so hard.  I'd like to see her too.  Thanks for being willing to take the potential flack.  lol

12 hours ago, electricco said:

METALLICA was in PARIS last september 8  .......... Amazing Metallica & their Metclub "Family" are Amazing ...

One Year Later U2 Will be in Paris ... with their U2Fans

Poster Paris 08 09 2017.jpg

great poster, they have a different poster for every gig. looks like Cthulu is in this one. the only thing I don't like about MetallicA's new stage is that it's quite small. if you aren't on the rail in GA or have a great seat they will look tiny. I'd rather them get rid of the drones (though they do look cool) and have the usual screens with footage of them.

James-Hetfield-metal.gif.a0a9d66f79661f785d74788c577b2d91.gif