jreed

U2 has one album left in them after Experience

In my defence We’re taking our 12 yo daughter to see TSwift.As for any flack.......I’ll just shake it off

Edited by doctornickriviera

23 minutes ago, doctornickriviera said:

In my defence We’re taking our 12 yo daughter to see TSwift.As for any flack.......I’ll just shake it off

You dirty dog!  You throw me a baited hook like that and it turns out to be a lure?  Are you kidding me?  Your daughter???  You are not going to see Taylor Swift for your own self?   Trixter.  You are a dirty dog!   Why not make it your son?  You couldn't of fibbed a wee tiny bit so I could maintain some scrap of my manliness? 

Now I gotta go bitch about the presale which did not affect me because these mods are incredible.  I had no problems but still I must do something to carry forth with my life.  It's all your fault. I went for that barb like  a silly guppy.  I was even hoping to bring Coldplay into the mix.  (I hang my head in shame and must sign out of U2.com because secretly I want Zayn to show up with Taylor and see them sing I Don't Wanna Live Forever live.)  Thanks a lot.  lol

(No disrespect to anyone who got ornery about the presale and posted what they were feeling.)

Edited by Manohlive

13 hours ago, doctornickriviera said:

I have no son.

I presumed so.  I was trying to be funny by poking fun at myself but it did not work.  I hope you have a great time at the concert with your daughter.

Edited by Manohlive

On 10/02/2018 at 8:45 AM, doctornickriviera said:

Our 14 yr old is also in TSwift and she has two tickets for a concert at Wembley in the summer.

Lucky for us that I have a cousin who is willing to take her to the concert!

This thread is ageist. You don't have to stop doing things just because you hit a certain age and sit in a rocking chair all day. If the band want to play into their 80s or beyond, there is nothing wrong with that. Music is not a professional contact sport. You can play music at virtually any age. People who see you can't because you have gray hair or lines on your face our obviously equally or more interested in the visual of how the artist looks as opposed to how they sound. Also staying active is the healthy option as the band gets older. The more active and engaged you are, the healthier you will be and the longer you will live. 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2018 at 2:05 PM, STING said:

This thread is ageist. You don't have to stop doing things just because you hit a certain age and sit in a rocking chair all day. If the band want to play into their 80s or beyond, there is nothing wrong with that. Music is not a professional contact sport. You can play music at virtually any age. People who see you can't because you have gray hair or lines on your face our obviously equally or more interested in the visual of how the artist looks as opposed to how they sound. Also staying active is the healthy option as the band gets older. The more active and engaged you are, the healthier you will be and the longer you will live. 

Sitting in my rocker listening to my 432 Hz ? music.☺

I admit as I get older it seems sometimes easier to just let the cobwebs set in. Life is an art in itself I suppose. ?

On 12/02/2018 at 7:05 PM, STING said:

Cherish Every Breath you take Sting. At your age you have no idea if it will be your last and you become a spirit in a material world.......??

Edited by doctornickriviera

Interesting OP.

I don't think we need to count, compare or calculate.

I think the question for the artist is, Does the artist have anything to communicate? If they feel they do....then I hope they send the transmission. It doesn't matter if no one receives. What matters is having something to transmit. A light in the dark, even if no one is looking.

Just musing on some more SOI/SOE connections to previous work...

The most affecting line in "Little Things" (for me) is "Sometimes, I'm full of anger and grieving, so far away from believing any sun will reappear". I sense a clear double meaning in sun/Son, and it puts me in mind of a bold, 21-year old singing "Open up to the Lamb of God.....He's coming back, O believe Him!" (or "I believe it!" in some live performances).

I remember (MANY years ago, lol) being so struck by a young punk-agitator making such a confident claim on a rock album, and that I'd never heard anything like the album "October". (Of course I hadn't! None of us had.) So when I think of the conversation between Bono's younger and older self in "Little Things" it is especially poignant: The confidence in "Tomorrow" was so strong and infectious that the doubts in "Little Things" have an equal weight in the opposite direction. And I was young and invincible when I first heard "Tomorrow" and now.... not so much. I know I didn't express that well, I just wanted to talk about my favorite new U2 song.

Also, the opening line of "Song for Someone" reminds me of "Falling at Your Feet", which is maybe my all-time favorite U2 song. "Every face that's spoiled by beauty is falling at your feet" is pretty easy to understand. However, "You have a face not spoiled by beauty..." could either mean beauty didn't spoil your face OR could be a tongue-in-cheek way of saying you're not beautiful. Since it may be about his wife, I'm hoping it's the former, lol.

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:05 AM, STING said:

IMHO, I don’t believe this thread is ageist. I think what the OP was saying was that the band has reached the highest peak and if they decided to hang them up, they would be going out on top.  They have achieved what very few bands have and they have brought us tremendous excitement along the way.

I’ve been a fan for a very long time and never have considered the end of the line, until recently.  Bono’s health and the band’s age are factors in considering how much longer can they go.  If the passion, imagination and discipline are still there, then I say, “hell yes.”  But, writing and recording a new album is one thing; going on a world tour is another.  While I believe our boys still have something left in the tank, I just don’t know how much.  Will they still tour in their 60s and 70s?  I have no idea, but I do know that it doesn’t get easier.

I’ve also considered that this next tour might be my last rodeo.  The cost—while I can still afford—has grown siginificantly.  I’ve gone from strictly GA tickets to Reserved Seats over the years.  It wasn’t just summoning up the stamina for the long day that GAs require; it’s the availability of friends who can do that as well.  We all started out as teenagers and many of us are parents now, consequently, time is also a limited resource besides money and energy.  My first U2 ticket was $22.50; this upcoming tour was $478—each.  I just don’t know how much longer I can go.

Whatever they decide, they’ll do it together.  If they have 2 – 3 more tours in them, awesome.  I’m not sure if I’ll go, but I’ve said that before, too.  My view has changed and not going isn’t the tragedy it was when I was in my 20s.

12 hours ago, Stellaria said:

I sense a clear double meaning in sun/Son

I have mentioned my belief that Bono is a master lyricist/poet/writer in quite a few posts. I speak with no authority save valuing my own opinion. I called him Sophocles good. I should have said great. Oedipus, by itself and as a trillogy,.has so many different possible meanings I'm still trying to figure it out.  This is what I love about Bono and his lyrics. That couble meaning he does so well and so often that it seems effortless, can also go multi-directional   It is the thing I most admire about his writing.  I had not gotten past the anger and grieving...so far from believing... that I had not gotten to the part about the Son or Sun.  I like how you did sun/Son. I don't wish to impose that upon anyone. I listened to the song a few times since, thinking about your post.  He does not sing Son or Sun.  He sings...that many song will reappear.  I thought, 'Oh, no. I like it better the other way.'.  Something was nagging at me so I brought up the lyrics to see if I was hearing them correctly. In retrospect, it doesn't even matter because both directions mean the same thing to me. I went the Sun/Son direction because it's what I believe, yet it's not what he sings.  Again, this is not to impose any belief on any person. He weaves his Catholicism into so much, yet it is not Catholocism for someone of a different belief or faith.  He does it so well that all of us can relate and be moved or challenged or whatever he is intending, pretending or portending. 

I really like your post, Stellaria.  

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1

Bono and company will be recording in a nursing home.  No need for them to end until someone gets really sick or dies.  Same goes with me, I will be listening to U2 until I die.

Bono and company will be recording in a nursing home.  No need for them to end until someone gets really sick or dies.  Same goes with me, I will be listening to U2 until I die.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, eyesoftheworld said:

Now that is feckin funny. :D

Nice one.

I'm not sure that I see U2 ever making an official statement about retiring or breaking up.  I think if that were going to happen, it would have happened already.  I think the band have almost certainly had some behind-the-scenes rough patches over the years, but I think they've clearly worked through them.  If anything, I think it's more likely that one day, new music just stops showing up. 

But on the other hand, I could also see them doing this as long as they're physically capable of doing it.

I mean, Bruce Springsteen is 68 years old, and will be 69 in the fall.  In 2016, I saw him do three shows in a row at the new Giants Stadium where he played four hours each night.  Not like two hours with an intermission and then rounded up to four hours, but actually four hours from the moment he walked onstage until the moment he walked off it.  He was just turning 67 at the time.  And it wasn't a fluke; almost every show from the Summer 2016 tour ran 3 1/2 hours, and a handful touched the four hour mark or blew past it.  Those were the longest shows he had played in his career, which is incredible to think about - he plays about an extra hour now than he did twenty years ago!  Great production values, too.  He doesn't have a stage as elaborate as U2, but he has a huge array of screens for the outdoor shows, pretty big screens for the indoor shows too, and the videography during the shows is absolutely incredible.

And, to follow that up, he's now in the middle of a Broadway residency where he does five shows a week for a period that's lasting about 14 months.  I saw the Broadway show this week, and that was 2 1/2 hours!

Granted, not everyone is Bruce Springsteen, but he's proof that you can do this at a very high level even in your late 60s.  Springsteen still runs around the stage, crowd surfs, and acts like a man decades younger.  And you know what?  He pulls it off.

I saw Bob Dylan last November and it was also an incredible show.  He's a very different kind of performer, much more reserved, but the musicianship on display by him and his band was impressive and I was utterly moved by the show.  And he's in his mid-70s.  I saw Paul Simon a couple years ago, also in his mid-70s, and he played a fantastic show - the musicianship on display was fantastic and his voice is as wonderful as ever.

On 4/10/2018 at 3:38 PM, 504jumper said:

I don’t believe this thread is ageist. I think what the OP was saying was that the band has reached the highest peak and if they decided to hang them up, they would be going out on top. 

How has it been determined that they are at their highest peak?  People said that with The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby and Zooropa, yet look at what they've done since. They said this band was dead with the 'flop' of Pop, yet it's many Zootopians favorite U2 album. (it's one of my faves) No offense, 504jumper; I'm not addressing you in particular.   How do any of us know this band is at their artistic peak?  I measure them by their music.  I think they just released some of their best.  That's just my opinion.

One could argue that the Beatle's peaked with Sgt. Pepper's, yet look at all the great music they put out after that album.  I don't like this, 'They should hang it up.', attitude.  They're gonna do whatever they are gonna do as they deem fit, or so it seems to this fan.  I'll be with them all the way.  They are great musicians, songwriters and one of the best bands in the history of rock and roll.  Why are we discussing their end?  I don't understand this thread.  I'm not knocking anyone expressing their opinion, but why are we discussing the  finality of something so awesome and in the middle of yet another triumph?  They'll be time enough to discuss this after the fact. Some of us will be dust when that happens.  If we want to discuss the end, why not address THE end.  We're all gonna die.  So what? Why not enyoy what we have here and now?  None of us can say they are at their peak.  Only they can determine that.  They show no sign of fading away anytime soon. If anything, they've amped it up with SOE. This thread has bothered me since its inception.  No offense to whomever started it.  My dog is 17 years old.  I don't dwell on him dying.  I thank God for every day I have with him right now.  Does one pass a rose and not enjoy the wafting of its perfume because it's only going to wilt one day?  Perhaps I'm missing something or misunderstanding this thread.  I don't like discussing the end whilst in the middle of something great.     this is harsh but just my opinion...no shade intended.

16 hours ago, vertigojds said:

Granted, not everyone is Bruce Springsteen, but he's proof that you can do this at a very high level even in your late 60s

Yes.  Nick Cave is 60, still putting out his best work and touring.  And by touring I mean breaking your heart, rearranging your brain and stepping on your shoulders.  He's incredible.

They should do a Beatles and go out with a swan song that was Abbey Road or The Doors LA Woman album a perfect end to there careers. My first thought was perhaps teaming up with Eno and Lanois again to create there best album since The Joshua Tree but can they really make it work together again after what happened with No Line On The Horizon?

2 hours ago, realgonekid said:

They should do a Beatles and go out with a swan song that was Abbey Road or The Doors LA Woman album a perfect end to there careers. My first thought was perhaps teaming up with Eno and Lanois again to create there best album since The Joshua Tree but can they really make it work together again after what happened with No Line On The Horizon?

What exactly happened?  They made an experimental album that didn't sell as well as their more mainstream work.  That doesn't exactly sound like the end of the world to me.  It just sounds like it wasn't their most successful work.

8 hours ago, vertigojds said:

What exactly happened?  They made an experimental album that didn't sell as well as their more mainstream work.  That doesn't exactly sound like the end of the world to me.  It just sounds like it wasn't their most successful work.

I concur.  I love No Line On the Horizon.  I'm not crazy about Boots.  There are still a lot of songs I listen to, often on a daily basis, off No Line.  It's interesting how one person sees it one way and another hears it the other.  Cedars and White as Snow are two of my favorite U2 songs.  Breathe kicks serious ass.  Moment of Surrender...not even gonna touch how great that song is.

8 hours ago, vertigojds said:

They should do a Beatles and go out with a swan song that was Abbey Road or The Doors LA Woman album

This is not to argue your opinion:  If the Beatles went out with Abbey Road, we'd have no Let It Be.  The Doors ended with LA Woman because Jim Morrison died.  I'm not sure that would have been their last album had he not.  I remember hearing where they got hold of him and told him how well the album was doing, etc. He had sheltered his self in Paris by then. It did not seem like it was their last album, from what Ray Manzarek said, but JM was gone shortly after that.  I agree that LA Woman is a phenomenol album.  I still love playing The Cars Hiss By My Window on the guitar.  It's a lot of fun mixing up the dynamics and the riff is not that difficult.  I thought I was the coolest person on this Earth when I figured it out in 1980.  Where did the last 38 years go and how did they pass by so quickly?  Thanks to my parents for letting me turn my music up to 11.

Edited by Manohlive

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 11:02 PM, Manohlive said:

How has it been determined that they are at their highest peak?  People said that with The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby and Zooropa, yet look at what they've done since. They said this band was dead with the 'flop' of Pop, yet it's many Zootopians favorite U2 album. (it's one of my faves) No offense, 504jumper; I'm not addressing you in particular.   How do any of us know this band is at their artistic peak?  I measure them by their music.  I think they just released some of their best.  That's just my opinion.

One could argue that the Beatle's peaked with Sgt. Pepper's, yet look at all the great music they put out after that album.  I don't like this, 'They should hang it up.', attitude.  They're gonna do whatever they are gonna do as they deem fit, or so it seems to this fan.  I'll be with them all the way.  They are great musicians, songwriters and one of the best bands in the history of rock and roll.  Why are we discussing their end?  I don't understand this thread.  I'm not knocking anyone expressing their opinion, but why are we discussing the  finality of something so awesome and in the middle of yet another triumph?  They'll be time enough to discuss this after the fact. Some of us will be dust when that happens.  If we want to discuss the end, why not address THE end.  We're all gonna die.  So what? Why not enyoy what we have here and now?  None of us can say they are at their peak.  Only they can determine that.  They show no sign of fading away anytime soon. If anything, they've amped it up with SOE. This thread has bothered me since its inception.  No offense to whomever started it.  My dog is 17 years old.  I don't dwell on him dying.  I thank God for every day I have with him right now.  Does one pass a rose and not enjoy the wafting of its perfume because it's only going to wilt one day?  Perhaps I'm missing something or misunderstanding this thread.  I don't like discussing the end whilst in the middle of something great.     this is harsh but just my opinion...no shade intended.

Manohlive, I believe that determination is defined by the individual and collectively as fans. But as fans, each of us will feel that certain albums were their best and others less than their best. I measure them by their music, too. The sheer totality of their creations are simply staggering and deserving of the highest praise.

And I agree that "they're gonna do whatever they are gonna do as they seem fit". I--as well as the rest on this thread--were commenting on that the OP wrote. I think discussion was started given the recent news about Bono's health scare (and I still don't know what that was) and the fact that road ahead is much shorter than the road behind. I think the discussion of their end is not necessarily their death (of any band member) but their retirement.

Now I believe that none of us wants to see that day come. And I agree, that it would be their decision alone and I wouldn't have it any other way. However, as our beloved boys from Dublin age, it's natural to think about how much longer they will go. If that discussion should not happen here, I don't know where it could happen. If one were to say, "it should not happen at all", I'd respectfully reply, "why not?". It can be troublesome for some of us here--myself included--but in end, we're just talking.

As I've gotten older, I've thought about my own end more than ever before. Granted I don't dwell on it, either. I watch my friends and family members who are my generation, experience health issues and other life maladies (divorce, bankruptcy, death of a loved one, etc.). I lost my father to cancer at an early age (high school), so for me, I find myself thinking about endings more than most of my friends. I look at my mom--who's in her early 70s--and I wonder how much longer I will have her. It's a reminder for me to tell her how much I love her. I didn't do much of that with my dad, and I regret it.

Anyway, I think you make a great point in all of us focusing on what we have right now and how we should enjoy the band--in all of its awesomeness--while they are still here. I didn't take any shade from your post.

I'm totally looking for to Experience + Innocence 2018.