Sign in to follow this  
clopes

How does Ticketmaster VerifiedFan REALLY work?

21 hours ago, clopes said:

Of course this assumes that Ticketmaster can actually weed out only and all bots/scalpers and that their random selection is truly random.  And based upon decades of history, a lot of us are skeptical.

Aye, there's the rub. :-)

Some new insight is that the Ticketmaster event pages say things like this:

Verified Fan Onsale
Start: Mon 11/20/17 10:00 am EST
End: Mon 11/20/17 11:59 pm EST

So to me that means that the period in which the people who are randomly chosen have to make their purchase has a defined end time and as I suspected after this time the remaining tickets must be freely available first-come first-served as they always have been.

It's such a shame that they thought by using this new verified fan system that tickets wouldn't get to touts. There's more tickets on stubhub etc. now than there was on the last two tours after they did the presales. So the verified fan system does not work.

It's my opinion that TM keep back loads of tickets to give to stubhub, getmein, seatwave etc. and let them sell the tickets at massively inflated prices for their own benefit.

47 minutes ago, DBUGGY said:

It's such a shame that they thought by using this new verified fan system that tickets wouldn't get to touts. There's more tickets on stubhub etc. now than there was on the last two tours after they did the presales. So the verified fan system does not work.

It's my opinion that TM keep back loads of tickets to give to stubhub, getmein, seatwave etc. and let them sell the tickets at massively inflated prices for their own benefit.

And even more than an opinion, TM has no credible way of denying that this isn't the case!
I mean, pure as a TM business model it seems that the more tickets on these secondary markets, the better it is for them...

On 11/2/2017 at 7:05 PM, clopes said:

Note: I didn't post this to the "North America Leg 1" forum because my topic is not specific to Leg 1 or any particular city/date, although it seems to be specific to North America.

So for the general public onsale (in North America), it seems that 100% of all tickets that would normally be available for the public to purchase on Ticketmaster will only be sold to people who have registered for their VerifiedFan program.  

And from reading about this program, it seems to be a way to:

1. Change the way in which people get tickets from first-come first-served to random selection (in part -- see below).  It was not obvious to me until I read their FAQ several times but there is simply no way to purchase tickets unless you have been randomly chosen.  A side point is that since this is so different/new, I'm not sure why it isn't stated at the top of related web pages in giant text.
  2. Perhaps actually "verify" that someone is a "fan" and not a reseller or scalper.  
  3. Prevent Ticketmaster's servers from crashing.

So here are some questions:

a) Ticketmaster states repeatedly that EVEN if you are randomly selected to have the chance to purchase tickets, those tickets are not guaranteed.  My interpretation of this is that say there are 10,000 tickets that will be available for a show.  They will randomly select some number of people that is LARGER than 10,000.  The question is why would they do this and how much larger?  At first it seems silly, because it will just trigger a subsequent first-come first-served race like we have today.  But I suppose they need to account for people who are randomly selected but cannot complete a purchase due to declined credit cards, no longer wanting to attend, logistical issues making the purchase promptly, etc.  But is that all that it is, or do they seriously purposely select more people because they actually want to sustain a first-come first-served market for some other reason?  A complicating factor is that of course people value venue sections differently and so yes your particular preferred section may be sold out but I am ignoring this aspect of it for now.

Side note: why don't they just do it in timed phases instead.  In other words, randomly select exactly 10,000 people.  Give them 1 hour to complete the purchase.  If only 9,000 people manage to do this, then randomly select 1000 more people after the first hour and give them 1 hour (or maybe 2 hours due to the short notice) to make their purchase.  Continue this for a few hours until the number of tickets left is insignificant.  Now you've avoided people getting selected and then later being disappointed,. 

b ) Do they really verify that people are "fans" in some way other than the natural weeding out of non-fans that would happen as a result of the change in process?

c) When does the VerifiedFan sale end?  What is unclear to me is what happens if a concert does not have pre-registered demand that exceeds the supply.  In other words, say a show does not sell out on the first date of being on sale to the VerifiedFans.  A few days (or hours or weeks or months) later, Ticketmaster must be switching to regular first-come first-served because random selection does not make sense when the set of people who want to purchase tickets is ever-changing (after the on sale date) unless they release tickets in weekly batches or something crazy like that.  Plus by this time the published deadline for registration is by definition in the past.  

Update: see below here for the apparent answer

d) Several people below feel that this change takes away a perceived advantage to long-time avid fans who would normally use their awareness of and experience with the first-come first-served process to have a bigger chance of getting tickets.  Is this fair?  Is it actually what is going to happen?  Is it something that Ticketmaster and/or U2 wants to happen?  Is it just a perceived loss of control in something that was actually always largely random to begin with?

Note: I understand that there will be a lot of licensed re-sellers just like always, and scalpers will defeat this easily, and that the program has already had numerous issues with prior shows for other artists.

Just take a look on this!!!...like every time, "official sites" or "licensed sites", selling with abrupt prices.. How could this come???,i'm very angry, since i couldn't get GA tickets on this last presale

stub hub.png

Edited by achtung237

According to Ticketmaster the Verified Fan Onsale dates for the NY show at MSG are right up until the day of the show...

Verified Fan Onsale
Start: Mon 11/20/17 10:00 am EST
End: Mon 06/25/18 08:00 pm EDT

14 hours ago, afg said:

According to Ticketmaster the Verified Fan Onsale dates for the NY show at MSG are right up until the day of the show...

Verified Fan Onsale
Start: Mon 11/20/17 10:00 am EST
End: Mon 06/25/18 08:00 pm EDT

Given how incredibly bad they are at communicating accurate information, who knows what this means.  It could be that it's just wrong or it could be that they will somehow implement an ongoing random selection process for 6 months.  See my thoughts on this in the original post that started this thread.

3 hours ago, clopes said:

Given how incredibly bad they are at communicating accurate information, who knows what this means.  It could be that it's just wrong or it could be that they will somehow implement an ongoing random selection process for 6 months.  See my thoughts on this in the original post that started this thread.

But isn't this how Verified Fan Sales also works for other artists/events?  Has anyone used this before who can comment on it?

you guys are talking as if verified fan was actually designed to prevent scalping..  it's not..  that's a ruse.  it was created as a way for ticketmaster to gather valuable potential customer contact information.  think about it..  even if you don't end up purchasing a ticket on their site, they just got you to either sign up for a brand new ticketmaster account, or use your old account to sign up for future advertising emails/texts.  win-win for them.  it also allows them to see how much demand potential there is for an upcoming tour, and raise prices if they feel necessary.  

i'm sure most of the artists truly believe in it.  but make no mistake, if it's not something that could help ticketmaster's bottom line, they wouldn't have created it.  it's all about the $$$$$$$$

I just got off the phone with TM, another 30 min of my life spent with this...the rep SWORE that although there are concurrent sales for Verified and General Public that if our codes do not arrive again (I know mine won’t, I’m 0/2–Verified but never received codes for Experience and Citi) that the public can get tickets without a code. So the only thing I can imagine is that maybe the Verified fans would get better seats or more tickets allotted? This whole thing is totally confusing. I’m at a loss and I’m usually the queen of getting tickets. ?

11 hours ago, afg said:

But isn't this how Verified Fan Sales also works for other artists/events?  Has anyone used this before who can comment on it?

Yeah, there will be no general onsale, so the Verified Fan Sale will technically be open until showtime, but open only to those who have a code.  In all likelihood, the concert will sell out almost immediately, so whether or not the webpage remains open for you to run a search probably won't make much difference one way or the other. 

1 hour ago, lmnoiu said:

it's not..  that's a ruse.  it was created as a way for ticketmaster to gather valuable potential customer contact information. 

I'm not sure that I agree with this.  I've had a Ticketmaster account online since Ticketmaster launched a website however many thousands of years ago that was.  I use it regularly to purchase tickets.  When I registered for Verified Fan, I provided the Verified Fan webpage with the exact same information that's already on my Ticketmaster account.  They didn't get any information from me that they didn't have already.  I suspect that's true with most, if not all, people signing up for this.

5 minutes ago, skeegan68 said:

I just got off the phone with TM, another 30 min of my life spent with this...the rep SWORE that although there are concurrent sales for Verified and General Public that if our codes do not arrive again (I know mine won’t, I’m 0/2–Verified but never received codes for Experience and Citi) that the public can get tickets without a code. So the only thing I can imagine is that maybe the Verified fans would get better seats or more tickets allotted? This whole thing is totally confusing. I’m at a loss and I’m usually the queen of getting tickets. ?

The Ticketmaster rep you spoke to was misinformed.  For some artists, like Ed Sheeran, they did a Verified Fan presale, followed by a public onsale that required no registration or code.  That's probably what the person you were speaking to was thinking of.  However, this is being run like the Verified Fan sales for Springsteen On Broadway and Harry Potter On Broadway.  Verified Fan is the only way to purchase tickets - if you do not receive a code (as I did not for either of those events), you will not be allowed to purchase tickets for that show, ever.  There will not be a moment when the website opens up for non-code sales, and there will not be an opportunity for tickets to be purchased by people without codes at a later time. 

Verified Fan is essentially a two-step process, but they advertise it as if it was only one step.  In the first step, they check your account to try to make sure you're not a bot or scalper.  Once you've passed that check, then the second step of the process is randomly selecting people to receive codes to purchase tickets with.  They keep this hidden in the fine print.  In my opinion, the first step of the Verified Fan process is a worthwhile endeavor, but the second step is ludicrously unfair.  Ticketmaster decides, in advance, whether you should have the chance to buy a ticket, and if it decides that you shouldn't, that's it, and there's simply never an opportunity for you to try.

That's what I object to.  I desperately wanted to attend Springsteen On Broadway and was not selected for a code.  I do not mind as much that it sold out and I didn't give a ticket.  I mind it a lot that I wasn't even allowed to try to buy a ticket.

38 minutes ago, vertigojds said:

I'm not sure that I agree with this.  I've had a Ticketmaster account online since Ticketmaster launched a website however many thousands of years ago that was.  I use it regularly to purchase tickets.  When I registered for Verified Fan, I provided the Verified Fan webpage with the exact same information that's already on my Ticketmaster account.  They didn't get any information from me that they didn't have already.  I suspect that's true with most, if not all, people signing up for this.

Trust me...  They have an ulterior motive, and it's money.  It's a business, so that's not surprising.  Like I said, even if you already have an account, many people will click the check boxes opting in to their spam email/texting.  I know one band I signed up for required you to agree to receive texts related to marketing.  And it allows them to gauge demand for pricing, adding shows, etc.

4 hours ago, skeegan68 said:

the rep SWORE that although there are concurrent sales for Verified and General Public ... that the public can get tickets without a code. So the only thing I can imagine is that maybe the Verified fans would get better seats or more tickets allotted? 

Doesn't quite add up.  

4 hours ago, vertigojds said:

Yeah, there will be no general onsale, so the Verified Fan Sale will technically be open until showtime, but open only to those who have a code.  In all likelihood, the concert will sell out almost immediately, so whether or not the webpage remains open for you to run a search probably won't make much difference one way or the other. 

But did you see the other show above where the timing is very different and the Verified Fan sale only lasts for one day?  I see you mention Ed Sheeran maybe as an example that is similar to this one where there was ultimately a regular public onsale with no registration.

And the question remains as to what they will do if a show does not sell out immediately.  Logically, the above is the way to deal with that.

4 hours ago, vertigojds said:

Verified Fan is the only way to purchase tickets - if you do not receive a code (as I did not for either of those events), you will not be allowed to purchase tickets for that show, ever.  There will not be a moment when the website opens up for non-code sales, and there will not be an opportunity for tickets to be purchased by people without codes at a later time. 

Why would they give Verified Fans a 6+ month window to make a purchase for this NYC show after only sending out codes once at the beginning of that six month period?  That does't make sense to me.

Edited by clopes

16 hours ago, clopes said:

But did you see the other show above where the timing is very different and the Verified Fan sale only lasts for one day?  I see you mention Ed Sheeran maybe as an example that is similar to this one where there was ultimately a regular public onsale with no registration.

And the question remains as to what they will do if a show does not sell out immediately.  Logically, the above is the way to deal with that.

16 hours ago, clopes said:

Why would they give Verified Fans a 6+ month window to make a purchase for this NYC show after only sending out codes once at the beginning of that six month period?  That does't make sense to me.

I can't really answer that.  All I can say is that Ticketmaster and U2 have announced that all tickets for this tour will be sold via Verified Fan, that there is no "public onsale" without Verified Fan.  Obviously they can reserve the right to change their minds, but it would seem that they are doing this on the same model as the "Springsteen on Broadway" show where, if you do not get selected for a code, you do not have the ability to go onto Ticketmaster to purchase seats.

@Max Tsukino, @mich40, @bigwave,

Any of you have a sense for answers to the questions that this thread poses?  They are pretty much summarized in the original post.  Of course Ticketmaster is probably the only one who knows for sure but the answers we get from a typical customer service rep there are not consistent and not particularly informative.  And I get the sense that the folks at u2.com/help would just defer to Ticketmaster. 

I find it strange because I don't understand what choices about the ticket sale process are determined by "the band" (or whoever they have hired to run the tour - is that LiveNation?) vs determined by the ticket seller (Ticketmaster).  I understand that LiveNation and Ticketmaster are sort of the same company but as a consumer it just seems very strange that there is no way to get answers about such fundamental questions from "the band" and instead have to ask the ticket seller where the person that you talk to seems to have absolutely no insight into these sorts of big questions.

Note: in the past I have tried to contact u2.com/help about non-subscriber non-presale questions and they always defer to TM.  Hence the above confusion.

The presales are outside the perimeters of our moderation duties. While we try to answer what we can and help where we can, at this time we can only direct you to Customer Service to answer your questions. 

33 minutes ago, mich40 said:

The presales are outside the perimeters of our moderation duties. While we try to answer what we can and help where we can, at this time we can only direct you to Customer Service to answer your questions. 

@mich40 This entire thread is about the public sale of tickets via VerifiedFan and not about the presales at all. 

Edit: there have been side conversations about the presale but it wasn't the point of the thread

Edited by clopes

29 minutes ago, clopes said:

@mich40 This entire thread is about the public sale of tickets via VerifiedFan and not about the presales at all. 

Edit: there have been side conversations about the presale but it wasn't the point of the thread

My apologies. Trying to read and respond to many different things. But the answer is that you need to contact Ticketmaster with questions about the general sale. 

I've noticed that some of Ticketmaster's published timings for the Verified Fan sale have changed.  At this point, every show sold by Ticketmaster says that the Verified Fan sale ends on the concert date except for the one in Nashville on 5/26/18, which still claims only a 1-day Verified Fan sale:

Verified Fan Onsale
Start: Mon 11/20/17 10:00 am CST
End: Mon 11/20/17 11:59 pm CST

On 06/11/2017 at 8:10 PM, mich40 said:

Traditionally, once they get the stage in the venue, they will have small batches of tickets to release based on spacing. They are usually unannounced (unless a fan sees it and announces it) and go very quickly. 

This worked well for Dublin 2015 for the last show. Literally bought the tickets the day before in the way to the penultimate concert of the set of 4 at the 3 arena. 

Ticketmaster requires us to register separately for each individual show to which we want VerifiedFan access.  Does that mean each show has its own independent random selection process and that a fan will receive a separate code for each show to which he/she registered AND was selected?  Or is there a single random selection process across all shows and if a fan is selected, that fan will receive a single code which will work on all of the shows to which he/she registered?

53 minutes ago, vertigojds said:

You get a separate link and a separate code for each show that you're selected for. 

Strange then that when they sent out "You’ve Been Selected For U2 Verified Fan Onsale" emails earlier tonight, it seems each person got only one and it did not identify a specific show.  

Then hopefully it will be clear as to which code goes with each show.  For the presale, the code was sent all by itself in a separate SMS from the link or any other context.

So if they do that for the general sale, and they send the codes very rapidly, it may not be clear which code goes with which show because it is quite possible to receive SMS messages in a different order than they were sent (especially if they are sent rapidly)

So is it says there is a 4 ticket limit per access code.  So that means you can buy 4 tickets for each show you registered for?  Or is it a 4 ticket limit total for all shows?

Also, can I make four purchases for one ticket each?  Or can I only use that access code for one order?

Edited by afg