shule

Do you feel as being ripped of ?

Hello to all you nice u2 fans !

the last few years/tours i just have this feeling as being ripped of from our favourite band...ticket prices rocketing, merchandise prices as they are all designer pieces, etc., delivery fees as if you ordered a train and not t-shirt, waiting for your

order for months...

And now the newest, needing to renew a valid subscription in order to get a presale code (for only 2 tix), needing to order the cd or vinyl to get 2 more codes, the whole additional time, stress, costs, searching for accurate information ?

Certain EU countries are valid for this preorder, certain not (but all paying the same)...a lot of disappointments lately...and the stuff i heard from SOE so far is not promising either. Is it worth it ? 

Don't they realise that they are not gaining so many new fans and they should really take more care about the existing ones ?

All of this is leaving a bitter feeling...unfortunately.

• Like 1

You are not alone. Just saw ticket prices 329 dollars for all good seats along the entire length of the video screen. Get real that is shocking.

Over 600 dollars for a night out with your friend,its laughable.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, alanelise said:

You are not alone. Just saw ticket prices 329 dollars for all good seats along the entire length of the video screen. Get real that is shocking.

Over 600 dollars for a night out with your friend,its laughable.

What venues are showing price by seats/sections?  Has anyone else seen this?

Ridiculous.  Even GA prices are starting to creep up every tour. 

Like Bono always says. "Thanks for giving us a great life!"

13 hours ago, afg said:

What venues are showing price by seats/sections?  Has anyone else seen this?

Boston is showing thsoe prices , it's insane , i could afford the summer tour but may have to skip this one :(

My current income/budget does not include concert tickets or fan subscriptions. I will wait until the CD is released...yes, I still purchase and use them. For me, I have to keep remembering it all about the music...recorded music. I still love 'em.

:JT_Logo_03:

Edited by natural11
  • Like 1

Totally feeling like membership is now a scam to just get $20 extra per ticket out of me.. 

• Like 1

The prices have been out of control since U2 sold their touring business to Live Nation, and the few restraints that were in place during the early years of that deal (2009-2011) all but disappeared with Guy Oseary became their manager. 

I think that it takes a lot of effort to actually deal with pricing and price ranges and seat categories and all that stuff, and in years past, the band (or their management) actually did this.  Larry had hinted after PopMart by saying that he was done with that.  I don't think U2 have intentionally decided to screw people.  I think they simply took their eye off the ball and made a deal where they get paid an obscenely high flat rate for doing a show, and since Live Nation promised that, Live Nation now has to figure out a way to make it happen.  There's almost certainly something in the contract stipulating that floor seats will be general admission and at the lower price range, so Live Nation is looking to make up for each of those lower priced tickets by raising the price of a seat somewhere else, rather than excepting a smaller but still extremely high profit margin.

My hope is that this will eventually backfire and force the band to reconsider this approach.

Though they're not nearly as good of a band, I wanted to mention something interesting I saw with Maroon 5, who are favorites of my wife's.  As long as I've known my wife, they've sold out every time they've played at Madison Square Garden, and it's always been a near-instant sell-out and a hard ticket to get at face value.  They were never cheap.  When I first took her to see them in 2013, I think it was $100 a ticket, and when I took her back in 2015, that had creeped up to $150 a ticket.  They just put tickets onsale for shows next year, and the pricing is out of control compared to previous tours.  Everything on the floor is, at minimum, $200, with some tickets having face value of over $500.  Everything on the lower level is a minimum of $200, with many being priced much higher.  On the upper level, first 14 rows are $150 each (with some front row upper level seats priced at $350), the next eight or ten rows are $100 each, and then the last couple rows were $80.  I completely forgot about the onsale, and figured when I checked later in the day that it would be all sold out.  I was surprised to discover that there were plenty of tickets on the floor, the lower level, and the upper level.  The only thing really sold out was the $80 tickets in the back row - those are completely gone.  But there are tons of $200 floor and lower level tickets, and plenty of $100 and $150 upper level tickets.  Looking at the interactive seat map, it looks like close to 50% of the tickets are still available.  I think they also have one of those LiveNation deals.  They're gonna play the show, and the promoter has already guaranteed them the money.  But the promoter can't take a loss off 10,000 tickets not selling at all, and they wouldn't want the band to go out to that, so I wouldn't be surprised if (very quietly) prices are adjusted for the remaining tickets.

On the other hand, the singer Pink is going on tour, and her prices are even higher than Maroon 5, possibly even higher than U2 (for her tour, they even charge an extra premium for aisle seats!), and that show at Madison Square Garden is completely sold out.  I didn't realize that Pink was a bigger draw than Maroon 5, but based on these numbers, I guess she is.

Unfortunately, it's not just U2.  So when U2's management or Live Nation looks around and sees that newer acts, lesser known acts, acts with younger fanbases, acts who don't have the critical success or enduring popularity that U2 have had can get these prices, they must ask themselves "Why aren't we seeing U2 tickets for that price too?"  In the past, it seemed that there was some mechanism for some kind of restraint.  That mechanism no longer exists.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

To be fair to u2 , the stage setups they have come up with over the years have been very innovative and the arena setup for GA is particularly good. 

In terms of setlists I do have a bit of a worry after mtv Trafalgar Square - the new songs fit well with some of the songs many hardcore fans have been hoping would be retired from the set long ago.

If the songs from Trafalgar Square plus the new album made up the lion share of the new sets It may be a tour I would sit out. 

Totally agree. It's pure greed. We are paying more and more and not getting our money's worth anymore. I still haven't received my subscription gift yet they want to take my money for everything as quickly as possible. This may actually be the first time I don't go and see the band live since 1992 which will be the most disappointing thing ever.

I'm in the camp of, "This is what it costs these days".  Prices are supply and demand.  If they weren't selling out each and every show, it would be fair to say the tickets are overpriced.  But so long as they're selling out, pricing to "what the market will bear." is a reasonable approach.   And I echo the comments that at least U2 is spending on the show and tech to support it.  The Innocence tour staging, screen and sound system was the most innovative thing anyone's done on an arena tour that I am aware of.  I think their sound system won awards and is being adopted by others.  The end to end stage gave up precious space that could have been sold to ticket buyers, but turned all those seats at the"other end" of the arena into great seats for part of the show.  And the screen for innocence....well nothing has come close in other arena tours.  And then for this year's JT tour, they come out with the biggest, highest def screen ever, with outstanding visuals.  

Sure, the ticket prices are crazy.  But when performers can't make money selling albums anymore, it is driving prices up for everyone as pointed our above.  At least U2 is trying to continually improve and innovate the experience.  

All of the best reserved seats go to VIP AND SPECIAL packages for excess of $500.  There were no reserved seats in Vegas in the center lower sections in the experience sale-NONE! So, $75 to $332 are the cheap seats! Most of the money is going to U2 rather than scalpers-better, but makes the show for the wealthier.

the idea of real fans getting the GA seems fair and correct. But, so many cities seemed to have little or no GA for even the experience group (could not get Vegas GA). So many companies, arena special fans and others skimming tickets- the regular fan has no chance.

the saying, 'if you want to dance, you gotta pay the band' has gotten rougher.

23 hours ago, BillHenderson said:

" But when performers can't make money selling albums anymore, it is driving prices up for everyone as pointed our above.  At least U2 is trying to continually improve and innovate the experience.  "

Spot on with this statement BillH!

It is difficult for musicians to make money on album sales now with online streaming, downloading etc...the fact that U2 has given away their albums for "free" (once through iTunes - which for some odd reason people freaked out about, and then with this album that comes free with a ticket) is showing that the album sale is not where they will make their money.

Now I am not a big concert goer, except for U2 which I've seen probably 50+ shows, and I agree the efforts they put into innovative shows is absolutely amazing.  And the emotion they bring to the show to me is why I go. 

Precisely!  Couldn't have said it better myself.  I'm not at 50 shows, but I have never once walked out of one of their shows thinking to myself, "Well, that was not good value", and I've paid more each time. I don't mind paying premium prices for premium products - and compared to others their prices aren't really a premium to other acts. 

I don't mind the price - but jeez, you'd think they could've got the fan purchase process figured out by now.  That drives me nuts each time, although in this case it was better than most for me albeit that is not true for some.  That's probably why they have such a big lag between ticket sales and shows.  By the time you get to the show, you've forgotten most of the stress, anxiety, frustration and increasingly anger about their inability to get it right.