toyoracer

Last tour for a while?

I have seen others bring it up online that this could be the last tour for awhile (awhile meaning beyond their usual time of 4-6 yrs). With the IE tour in 2015, JT tour in 2017, and the EI tour set for next year, I'm sure the guys are going to be tuckered out. Also, they have been working on Songs of Experience for what seems like forever and now that it is close to being released. Creatively, they may be winding down. Mentions of Bono's health scare that The Edge mentioned in an interview also is a concern. Let's all enjoy this tour the best way we can. Sorry if this came off like a Debbie Downer post. I was just wondering if anyone else is thinking the same thing.

And they might take this tour to Europe, of course, but then perhaps Australia and even back to South America  and add shows in the States on the back end so could be out there a while.  So yeah I was thinking the same thing - better soak it all in this time 

I confess to having occasionally thought that if the band was going to pack it in, the Innocence and Experience albums would be the ideal way to wrap it all up. I sure hope that's not the case, but they've really done everything there is to do in Rock n Roll, and eventually everybody retires.  Probable?  Maybe not.  But definitely possible.  And more likely now than after No Line. I treat every tour as if it could be the last one. When it eventually is over, fewer regrets that way.

Interesting to see that I'm not the only one who had this thought. At some point over the summer I began to feel that the end was drawing closer. The JT tour seemed like a victory lap revisiting past glories. It was pitched as a response to the current political climate but actually didn't seem to contain any more political content then previous tours. 

Talk of Bono's health concern is also a factor. He's been through a great deal physically in the last few years and I wonder how many more tours he can commit to. 

Look up the recent interview at the end of the Joshua Tree 2017 tour with Dutch interviewer Ruud De Wild on Youtube. 2 parts.  Bono & The Edge seem pretty optimistic about the future for U2 and seem to look at this upcoming album as another era for the band, where the songwriting is about to get really interesting and the band feels that they can really tap a well to sustain them for a long time to come.  Interesting stuff.

yup, watched that interview with interest at the time.  I guess my feeling is, if band members wanted to pack it in, the summary to date that is Songs of Innocence and Experience would be good timing.  I remain optimistic that you are right and they have a lot more they want to say and sing.  But someday this will all end, and we're closer to that point now than in the past.  Gotta enjoy it while we can.  

11 hours ago, zooropamofo said:

Look up the recent interview at the end of the Joshua Tree 2017 tour with Dutch interviewer Ruud De Wild on Youtube. 2 parts.  Bono & The Edge seem pretty optimistic about the future for U2 and seem to look at this upcoming album as another era for the band, where the songwriting is about to get really interesting and the band feels that they can really tap a well to sustain them for a long time to come.  Interesting stuff.

I saw that interview, too, and it gave me hope. But like BillHenderson said above, we are closer to the end now than in the past. Reason why I'm trying to make up for lost time and see them as many times as I can on these tours, if I can even get a ticket for this tour.