Sherry

FINE PRINT of Verified Fan Presale

9 minutes ago, dugadams said:

Sherry - thank you for posting.  It is sad that it has come to this and my guess is there will be MORE tickets on the secondary market than ever before and we will pay... because that is what we do. 

I challenge you Sherry - and the other folks at AT U2 to do something.  I know you love your access and do not want to rock the boat - but someone needs to be covering this (this brilliant post is not up on that site) 

Politics be damned - please get a petition or SOMETHING going on a fan site that the band will pay attention to.  Like it or not, that is At U2. 

If you do it the band might not show up at your next party... but what the hell is the point of the site if not to help fans reach the band?

We are doing something right now - we're doing our best to get up the chain of command with as many fan stories, as many examples and the like to let them know this is as bad - or worse - than 2005. We can't fix what has happened, but we're working hard to find an amenable agreement about it. The band's PR is notified, and we're doing what we can. There's nothing we can report on right now.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sherry said:

We are doing something right now - we're doing our best to get up the chain of command with as many fan stories, as many examples and the like to let them know this is as bad - or worse - than 2005. We can't fix what has happened, but we're working hard to find an amenable agreement about it. The band's PR is notified, and we're doing what we can. There's nothing we can report on right now.

THANKS SO MUCH! Sherry.  And us Fans need to keep hitting them via social media and any other means possible.

• Like 1

With respect... U2.com is a product managed by LiveNation.  Ticketmaster is owned by LiveNation.  These aren't separate entities.  So there's really no excuse for any of this, and I'm not really satisfied with the answer that so-and-so from this company didn't understand what so-and-so from that company meant.  LiveNation offered U2 a fortune to buy their fanclub and touring business, and U2 accepted.  This puts the responsibility jointly on both parties.

The quality of customer service went down significantly when LiveNation took over, and following Guy Oseary taking over for Paul McGuinness, the band and their management are no longer accessible or answerable to fans.

I am disappointed as well. I was part of the Innocence group and had 3 devices positioned to ticketmaster at 10:00 a.m. The Innocence Group did not open up until at least 10:06 a.m., and there were no GA seats available. The seats that are farthest away are priced at $330! I can't afford this. As a long time fan, fan club member and consumer of U2, this is hard to swallow.

I got two tickets for the San Jose show yesterday with absolutely no problems, and it makes me feel bad for those who did not.  I thought renew, link, and accept SMS messages and you were "go to go".  Realizing now that it was a lottery system in place makes me feel like I"m in bed with the devil.  I sincerely hope as dates and legs get added to this tour that maybe the band can scrap this Verified Fan thing and go back to the previous system, which may not have been perfect, but certainly didn't discriminate among the fans.  Scalping will always be a part of ticket buying there is no way it can't be.  That industry needs it and vice versa. Hopefully U2 fans that have been denied will get restitution.

1 minute ago, buzz2 said:

Scalping will always be a part of ticket buying there is no way it can't be. 

It's actually really easy to stop scalping, but no one has the will to do it.

You make all tickets will-call only.  The person buying the ticket is the only one who can pick up, must show both the credit card used and a matching photo ID, and they must enter the venue immediately upon picking up.  Credit card entry (CCE) is an attempt to do this, but the rules aren't enforced evenly, so it doesn't do what it's supposed to.  Though the rules state it's not allowed, Ticketmaster does allow you to use a prepaid credit card for these purchases, which don't have any corresponding ID.  Venues rarely check the full ID, they just scan the credit card.  If they enforce the rules, including turning people away for having a disposable credit card and non-matching ID, scalping becomes impossible. 

You can't scalp an airline ticket.

Ticketmaster and the venues just need to treat tickets for shows the way tickets for air travel are treated and scalping would be finished overnight.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Brilliant 1

So U2.com made us re up our subscription  EARLY to get a CODE that we never get? 

9 years paying subscription fees plus the extra one they made me buy for presale. 10 minutes after presale starts STUB HUB has tons of tickets for sale. Not buying it. Someone needs to be fired. Maybe a class action law suit will make them wake up

Edited by THENEWYORKTONY

7 minutes ago, vertigojds said:

Ticketmaster and the venues just need to treat tickets for shows the way tickets for air travel are treated and scalping would be finished overnight.

Yes I agree, but that is if TM really wanted to end it in the first place. Even they are in the "Resale" business and scalping for TM means greater demand for tickets and more reason to charge more per ticket.

• Upvote 2

The right to fair treatment / innocent until proven guilty seems to be a thing of the past. Being 'verified' is meaningless if you are later out of the cut due to an unsubstantiated  / random  reason. 

I got a code in the experience lottery yesterday but nevertheless  find this whole thing paints a vulgar picture of what this band represent. 

Trully trumped off.

1 hour ago, hughfan said:

If I remember, the Bruce Springsteen Broadway Ticketmaster Verified Fan process, which I entered,  was clear and concise.  You will be entered into a fan lottery to receive a code via text.  There was no confusion, the verbiage explicitly said you were entering a lottery.  There as clear instructions that you should have your phone handy but that you might not receive a code text.   So when tickets when on-sale,  I had my phone handy but did not receive a code.  So I thought I lost the lottery, but at least I was prepared for this outcome.  Bruce Springsteen ended up adding shows and another round of tickets went on sale about one week later.  You did not have to re-enter the lottery, your name was still in the hopper.  I actually got a text with a code during this round and was able to go to ticketmaster to search for tickets.

Does anyone know if you need to be registered thru TM Verified Fan now for possible added shows?  I haven't done that process as I do not want tix to the currently announced shows on sale and don't want to possibly take up a spot that should go to someone actually wanting to buy now.  But if they will pull from same original batch of registrations...

3 minutes ago, buzz2 said:

Yes I agree, but that is if TM really wanted to end it in the first place. Even they are in the "Resale" business and scalping for TM means greater demand for tickets and more reason to charge more per ticket.

Exactly.  I find it so disingenuous when they say that they're making efforts to stop scalping.  They make a fortune on the resale business just through their own site, let alone their other partnerships.

Full disclosure: the presale worked for me yesterday.  But I feel almost guilty because in the past, presales worked for everyone, not just a select few.  And the presale with verified fan allowed me to select regular delivery and to get the tickets mailed to me - so absolutely no scalping protection on those seats.  I won't be scalping them obviously but I'm sure people will be.

33 minutes ago, vertigojds said:

With respect... U2.com is a product managed by LiveNation.  Ticketmaster is owned by LiveNation.  These aren't separate entities.  So there's really no excuse for any of this, and I'm not really satisfied with the answer that so-and-so from this company didn't understand what so-and-so from that company meant.  LiveNation offered U2 a fortune to buy their fanclub and touring business, and U2 accepted.  This puts the responsibility jointly on both parties.

The quality of customer service went down significantly when LiveNation took over, and following Guy Oseary taking over for Paul McGuinness, the band and their management are no longer accessible or answerable to fans.

I agree with this - unless you have an active hand in the day-to-day, you would just assume what you're being told is OK. I feel Larry will speak out on this in the coming days...they'll have to. This is right up there with 2005. There are too many entities involved, though - under McGuinness, he ran a tight ship with regard to this. With Live Nation, you have to have LN talking to TM who has to talk to Maverick who has to talk with band "representatives" before the band themselves get involved. There's  plenty of finger pointing - but at the end of the day,  it's the fans who got screwed...again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vertigojds said:

But I feel almost guilty because in the past, presales worked for everyone, not just a select few. 

I am totally feeling this. Maybe I should take a shower.

10 minutes ago, mrsdobbler said:

Does anyone know if you need to be registered thru TM Verified Fan now for possible added shows?  I haven't done that process as I do not want tix to the currently announced shows on sale and don't want to possibly take up a spot that should go to someone actually wanting to buy now.  But if they will pull from same original batch of registrations...

I have that question out there too - what happens for added shows? Do we have to go through all of this again??? So far, no reply - presumably because they're still figuring this set of shows out. I find it difficult to believe they're only doing 1 night in key cities like Chicago, LA, Boston and NYC.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, mrsdobbler said:

I think it's a little bit of an unknown at this time.

For the Springsteen Verified Fan thing on Broadway, people who entered for the first set of dates who didn't get a code did not need to re-enter for a chance at the second set of dates.  Fans who did get a code for the first set of dates had to re-register if they wanted a chance to win a code for the second set of dates.

For Ed Sheeran's Verified Fan tour, additional registration periods were held for added dates.

So I would guess that if you registered previously for an existing date, it may carry over for a new date, but it also may not.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sherry said:

I find it difficult to believe they're only doing 1 night in key cities like Chicago, LA, Boston and NYC.

I have heard rumour that a second date will be added in San Jose.

i feel so sorry for our fellow fans from the states...not looking forward for european presale..maybe until then they will figure out they messed it all up and need to reconsider how they treat their most loyal fans. This today was a complete fiasco !!

4 minutes ago, Sherry said:

I agree with this - unless you have an active hand in the day-to-day, you would just assume what you're being told is OK. I feel Larry will speak out on this in the coming days...they'll have to. This is right up there with 2005. There are too many entities involved, though - under McGuinness, he ran a tight ship with regard to this. With Live Nation, you have to have LN talking to TM who has to talk to Maverick who has to talk with band "representatives" before the band themselves get involved. There's  plenty of finger pointing - but at the end of the day,  it's the fans who got screwed...again.

I think at the end of the day, the band is responsible - they've hired LiveNation to do business in their name.  They've hired Guy Oseary, a manager known more for grabbing every last dollar than for fostering community relations.  To be clear, these are legitimate business choices, but U2 have always acted as if music was more than a business for them.  Their actions over the last few years have shown that something has changed and that they no longer hold to this philosophy.  In and of itself, that's fine, even if it's not a choice I would have made in their shoes.  But to act as if you care about the fans and not the money, when every business decision in recent years has favored maximizing revenue over customer service and transparency, it's hard not to feel that something has gone very wrong.

Meanwhile, this presale nonsense (and the Verified Fan nonsense that will follow during the general onsales as well) have managed to distract the conversation from the fact that U2 are charging $325 for upper level tickets.

• Like 1

I don't mean to sound petulant, but both my mom and I were "lucky" enough to win the presale lottery and couldn't even buy 1 GA ticket between us.

We had prepared, we had studied, we had done trial runs to make sure we knew where to click, presale code on the clipboard ready to ctrl-V, joined the waiting room immediately and sat for an hour and not even a sniff at 1 GA ticket for either one of us from the first second?

I love this band and I love live music, but it's bad enough to pay these exorbitant prices, it's worse when the exorbitant prices become astronomical through scalpers.

I'm not going to settle for subpar tickets, nor am I going to pay through the nose for "decent" seats. I'll try again in the Citi Presale, public sale, wait for drops, wait for additional shows to be added. If that doesn't work, I'm just going to have to sit this one out.

And no one will care.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crazyu2fan said:

i truly hope the band makes a statement and addresses this situation. Sooner rather than later.

I don't mean this as a snide remark toward you but what are they going to say? "Thanks for another sell out tour!"

Edited by Synj

2 minutes ago, Synj said:

I don't mean this as a snide remark toward you but what are they going to say? "Thanks for another sell out tour!"

they will address the issue and make it right like they did in 2005. Per Larry's statement.