Sign in to follow this  
Sherry

FINE PRINT of Verified Fan Presale

4 minutes ago, Synj said:

We had prepared, we had studied, we had done trial runs to make sure we knew where to click, presale code on the clipboard ready to ctrl-V, joined the waiting room immediately and sat for an hour and not even a sniff at 1 GA ticket for either one of us from the first second?

It's worth keeping in mind - it takes tickets a moment to populate through the system, so just because it's supposed to be onsale at 10:00am doesn't mean that all of the inventory has made it through the system yet.  For both this tour and the 2015, at exactly 10:00am, I wasn't able to get GA tickets, but at around 10:10am, they started showing up for me.  So I'd always advise to keep on checking beyond the initial "no seats that match your request" notice.

6 minutes ago, Synj said:

I'll try again in the Citi Presale, public sale, wait for drops, wait for additional shows to be added.

The problem with this tour is that there will be no public sale - only Verified Fan.  They sell Verified Fan as a one step process, but it's actually a two-step process, and this isn't advertised often or well.  The first step is to verify that you're a fan and not a bot, and many people will pass this test and make it to step two.  Step two is running a lottery to give codes for ticket access to a select few of the verified total, and only those lottery winners are selected to receive codes to have a chance to purchase tickets.  So Ticketmaster will determine, in advance of the "public sale" date, who is allowed to buy tickets and who is not, and if you don't get a code, then you can never, ever try to buy tickets for that show.  I think this is going to be a major disaster when people realize this next week.  People who are used to going to one or multiple U2 shows buying through the general onsale are going to be shocked when they're informed by TicketMaster that they don't even get a chance to try to buy a ticket.

1 minute ago, Crazyu2fan said:

they will address the issue and make it right like they did in 2005. Per Larry's statement.

What are you referring to re: 2005 and Larry's statement?

Again, not being snide, just curious what you're talking about.

1 minute ago, vertigojds said:

It's worth keeping in mind - it takes tickets a moment to populate through the system, so just because it's supposed to be onsale at 10:00am doesn't mean that all of the inventory has made it through the system yet.  For both this tour and the 2015, at exactly 10:00am, I wasn't able to get GA tickets, but at around 10:10am, they started showing up for me.  So I'd always advise to keep on checking beyond the initial "no seats that match your request" notice.

I tried for an hour straight...still trying LOL!

1 minute ago, Synj said:

What are you referring to re: 2005 and Larry's statement?

Again, not being snide, just curious what you're talking about.

go look it up.. it was a similar situation as this. 

5 minutes ago, Crazyu2fan said:

go look it up.. it was a similar situation as this. 

Let's hope.

2 hours ago, kavanbJDE said:

'Verified fan' being run by Ticketmaster is like asking Hitler to run the Nuremberg trials.!!!! the music industry is corrupt to the core!!!!

I am going to say that you not getting concert you tickets you want is slightly less of an affront than the Holocaust.  Perhaps you should re-evaluate your moral equivalencies.  

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the excellent post and helping to clarify this fiasco. It's a very sad day to not get tickets and to feel so helpless. "And some days have bouncers and won't let you in"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sherry said:

So, looking at this, it was an algorithm used by Ticketmaster that determined if "you've got the gifts to get me through the gates of that mansion." The algorithm apparently didn't take into account number of years of loyalty to U2.com, number of U2 concert tickets you've purchased through your TM account, if you've bought stuff through the U2.com fan shop, or the like. Not sure what the algorithm it was!

But good people, loyal to U2 for decades were shut out of the ticket buying for this tour. Is that how the band truly wants to reward it's loyal of loyals? Is this how the band wants their legacy to be remembered - by letting a computer algorithm determine the legitimacy of their fan base? This is absurd!

So, yeah - the fans who were shut out don't have a leg to stand on at the moment, and I can understand why the mods are having to dig out of a backlog longer than they've ever had to do before becuase it wasn't crystal clear to the fan club what it all meant - that we were entering a LOTTERY system through verification. That having an assigned presale group wasn't the confirmation...that setting up your account wasn't enough. That in some cases, being a member of the fanclub since its inception online wasn't enough. It's a tough pill to swallow and it's justified.

This is why people like myself kept asking questions - this is why @bigwave came on our ATU2 podcast to answer questions. This is why we questioned...everything....! And still, we're facing this situation which, quite frankly, is worse than 2005 because this time it wasn't the scalpers who kept the loyal fans out of the concert - it was Ticketmaster themselves with their algorithms. It's not a perfect system, but it shut out some very good, loyal people who have traveled the world to see this band - and who most likely will be forced to pay a scalper for their tickets. In this way, the statement of "U2 cares about their fans and they are committed to making every effort possible towards getting tickets into the hands of fans only." hurts more than ever to so many shut out of the process.

What I bolded and underlined is the problem in a nutshell. Ticketmaster. Once U2 got in bed with Live Nation and Ticketmaster with their horrible verified fan program then the fans were screwed. Ticketmaster is nothing but a monopoly. They're the largest ticket distributor owned by the largest promoter (Live Nation). Both companies known for horrible customer service and incompetence. The day Ticketmaster gets some real competition and stops acting like a monopoly will be the best day for anyone who goes to live shows.

The verified fan program is nothing short of a disaster since the horrible recaptcha garbage they force fed us. I only got a code because the mods here stepped in. Thank goodness for @mich40or I would've been royally screwed and what I wanted was still there yesterday. Then I just received a code via text at 12:47 CST today. If the mods hadn't stepped in, I would've gotten the table scraps because that's all that's left now. I feel for the people who never got a code or someone to help them. This has been a nightmare presale for most people involved. Not to mention the 4 hours I lost from work yesterday dealing with this hot mess.

The problem with the verified fan program is that it doesn't even allow certain fans to even have the opportunity to get a ticket. That's sheer stupidity. You are shutting out your best customers which means Ticketmaster is either completely ignorant or doesn't give a damn. The scalpers will always, always be one step ahead of the game. They know who gets shut out on the verified program. So, they created multiple accounts with no buying history so they could get a code. Ticketmaster then shuts out fans who have bought a lot of tickets in the past thinking they're scalpers when in fact they are their best customers. Anytime Ticketmaster thinks they have one upped the scalpers, the scalpers are already two steps ahead of them.

Edited by 2000_man
Messed up quoted area

Thanks for this post.  Can I also please point out, since someone in this thread stated otherwise, that the mods are volunteers, not employees of U2.com? I imagine they are in a really tough spot right now. It's clear they were busting their tails trying to help fans out, and that they had not been given correct information.  Hats off to them for trying to help as much as they can. I'm disappointed for all the hard core, honest fans with just one U2.com membership who did not get a code.  It doesn't seem fair at all.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vertigojds said:

They're part of a system that's grown more difficult, more inconvenient, more expensive and less transparent for U2 fans.  Again, I don't think they're bad people, but they are part of a system that is the problem.

are we now. thanks for speaking for us. At us. No need in future. Try talking to us.

26 minutes ago, Gjachts said:

I am going to say that you not getting concert you tickets you want is slightly less of an affront than the Holocaust.  Perhaps you should re-evaluate your moral equivalencies.  

I meant as in you don't get the culprits/criminals to police themselves!!!! Jesus. do we have to be so anally PC all the time???? I hardly think this is insensitive and most people see what I meant instead of you insinuating I meant it's on the same level of gravity!!! 

2 minutes ago, bigwave said:

Couple of points, yes some of the answers I gave (my interpretations, not there in ANY official capacity - as I stated in the podcast) - some of the facts I were given were not correct. And in fact I would go further, I was misled on some things which I relayed on that episode. for which I have asked the atu2 guys an opportunity to go back on to explain.

We mods are not employees of ticketmaster, we are fans.

And, respectfully, you're being used and put in an impossible situation.  I honestly believe it would be better if this was a paid position that came with responsibilities and authority over those responsibilities.  It is unfair for you to be asked to speak on behalf of someone who is using the good will that you've established in the community to disseminate falsehoods.

4 minutes ago, bigwave said:

Whilst I understand your frustration at the moment, yours and many others, I am not the enemy. Mods are not the problem.

I would argue that the problem is that there aren't people in authority who have the ability to do anything.  I don't think you, Bigwave, are specifically the problem, but I think that perhaps having the mods be unpaid volunteers instead of Ticketmaster employees empowered to address issues is a problem.

5 minutes ago, bigwave said:

We put up with a lot of crap from all sides, and plenty of good stuff. We are not angels. We are not perfect. But we are the best you have, so don't kick us when things are going not the way you like it. We may kick back.

I'm expressing some concerns I have about a service I have paid money for, for instances where I feel that what was promised was not delivered.  I don't think it's appropriate to issue threats for expressing dissatisfaction with a paid service that hasn't worked as advertised.

12 minutes ago, vertigojds said:

Is this a verifiable fact?

If it's true, that's almost worst.

U2.com is not fan site - it is a business that U2 has contacted LiveNation to run.  The people working on the site should be professionals who are compensated for their time and given responsibilities for which they are held accountable.  Having a system where LiveNation gets unpaid "volunteers" to do the job of paid employees, without giving them any of the authority or autonomy that comes with being an actual employee, is a lose-lose proposition.

you are starting to annoy me. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, bigwave said:

are we now. thanks for speaking for us. At us. No need in future. Try talking to us.

The U2.com website, as run by Live Nation, is a problem.  The mods moderate the U2.com forum, which is part of the U2.com website run by Live Nation.  So yes, the mods are part of a system which has problems.  Didn't say the mods are a cause of the problem, simply that they are part of a system that has problems.

1 minute ago, bigwave said:

you are starting to annoy me. 

I'm sincerely sorry that you are annoyed.  I am not trying to target you.  I am expressing concerns about a system that is not running as well as I believe it should be, or as well as it used to run.

Edited by vertigojds

1 minute ago, vertigojds said:

The U2.com website, as run by Live Nation, is a problem.  The mods moderate the U2.com forum, which is part of the U2.com website run by Live Nation.  So yes, the mods are part of a system which has problems.  Didn't say the mods are a cause of the problem, simply that they are part of a system that has problems.

ok, so you have had your say on mod bashing. Now stop. Not a request.

1 hour ago, Sherry said:

We are doing something right now - we're doing our best to get up the chain of command with as many fan stories, as many examples and the like to let them know this is as bad - or worse - than 2005. We can't fix what has happened, but we're working hard to find an amenable agreement about it. The band's PR is notified, and we're doing what we can. There's nothing we can report on right now.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! Maybe there's still a way to salvage this catastrophe. Or at least stop it from happening in Europe and ROW. The last 2 days are only a small taste of what's going to happen during general sale. I'm still scarred from Springsteen. It's a helpless, hopeless, desperate feeling. And I'm nowhere near a Springsteen diehard.

Just now, stateless said:

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! Maybe there's still a way to salvage this catastrophe. Or at least stop it from happening in Europe and ROW. The last 2 days are only a small taste of what's going to happen during general sale. I'm still scarred from Springsteen. It's a helpless, hopeless, desperate feeling. And I'm nowhere near a Springsteen diehard.

In theory, they could lift the verified requirements for future dates.

I think the big problem with the Verified approach - which I think was created with the best of intentions - is that it's portrayed as a one-step process when it's really a two step process.  In the first step, TM tries to sort out real accounts from bots and scalpers, and that's a great thing.  But the second, less publicized step, is that they then select only a handful of people who passed verification to receive codes for purchases.

I think in the future, it would be better and more fair for everyone if TM verified who was real and who was a bot, but then issued codes to everyone who passed verification, instead of running a lottery to determine which verified people should get codes for purchases.  This would weed out bots and scalpers, and then give all people who are actually fans an equal chance to try and get tickets.  Right now, it doesn't seem like fans are getting that equal chance, and I think that's the more troublesome part.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dugadams said:

Sherry - thank you for posting.  It is sad that it has come to this and my guess is there will be MORE tickets on the secondary market than ever before and we will pay... because that is what we do. 

I challenge you Sherry - and the other folks at AT U2 to do something.  I know you love your access and do not want to rock the boat - but someone needs to be covering this (this brilliant post is not up on that site) 

Politics be damned - please get a petition or SOMETHING going on a fan site that the band will pay attention to.  Like it or not, that is At U2. 

If you do it the band might not show up at your next party... but what the hell is the point of the site if not to help fans reach the band?

A petition is a great idea.

Not trying to stir the pot, but it seems to me that thousands (or tens of thousands) of tickets were sold and a couple of dozen of people are upset about the system.  That doesn't seem to be that bad of a ration.  

Between what the tour calendar looks like and past history, I am willing to bet more shows will be added.  Why don't you wait until the entire process is completed before declaring it all a failure.