Sign in to follow this  
Sherry

FINE PRINT of Verified Fan Presale

19 hours ago, Jerry Ray said:

I haven’t been able to follow all the discussion on the problems this time around, but my gut feeling is that two things are getting conflated - being “verified” as a non-scalper (the algorithm deciding who can buy tickets) and getting a code through the lottery.

Maybe I’m just trying to make sense where there is none, but it doesn’t seem like not getting a code after being “verified” means that Ticketmaster decided that you were a scalper, it means that you aren’t a scalper but just didn’t win the lottery.

The fact that not all U2 members got a code this time sucks, and it doesn’t seem like that was communicated clearly, but maybe the scalper verification thing helped in that regard?  (Not to say there aren’t a lot of tickets on the secondary market, but maybe they were bought by people who appeared to be fans to the algorithm?)

JRjr

The part about not being a scalper, and not "winning the lottery" is what makes no sense.  Isn't that what the fan club is all about?  Not having to hope you get into the system for a chance to get tickets.  It seems that joining the fan club is designed to guarantee you *access* to the presale. Doesn't mean you'll get the precious GA or the tix you want, but you are supposed to be guaranteed a chance. 

My read of the fine print was that it would be 2 layers of security, meaning everyone in the fan club should have had an opportunity to be verified by TM as not a bot or scalper, and then if verified, they would get a code.  The point of adding the TM verified layer seemed to me a way to try to weed out the scalpers that purchased fan club membership.  It did not seem that the intent was to then add a third lottery layer, (1) fan club, (2) verified, (3) lottery among those fan club members that were verified.  Other verified events had the lottery element, e.g., Springsteen on Broadway.  But that element of random selection shouldn't have been the case here for fan club members.  Maybe I misunderstood the intent . . .

I'm fortunate I was able to get a Boston ticket through the club.  But I had to give up my second club ticket to a friend who fell victim to the verified garbage and didn't get a code despite 15+ years as a member here.  No worries as he will help me out for additional dates since he got things sorted and received a code after the initial onsale thanks to the mods here.  But that snafu should not have happened.

Doe anyone think U2 is NOT being paid to be the verified guinea pig?

For the fans my ass

When you look at the Ticketmaster verified page it is obvious U2 is getting paid for using it and promoting it

Edited by dugadams

4 minutes ago, Gjachts said:

Where has it been confirmed that the U2.com members that were verified were placed in a lottery?  

It has not been - it was a bull shit story 

they messed up - plain and simple 

and even if someone has maintained 10 U2 accounts year after year and paid the fee - it should not matter. They want to sell as many memberships for free money as possible.  

19 hours ago, peggy said:

I didn't get tickets either yesterday, but it is not the bands fault. It is tour management and their trusting in, and contract with TicketMaster.

Peggy i disagree the band have a say in things down the line and make the decisions.. It's their name here on the bill. The band are well aware of what is going on and granted not right away but are. Case in point as have been mentioned by several people of the very similar fiasco in 2005/Vertigo tour.. I posted the article about Larry's statement on the matter.. Once they made the statement they rectified the situation.

1 hour ago, Gjachts said:

Where has it been confirmed that the U2.com members that were verified were placed in a lottery?  

many fans contacted TM  while the presales were going on and they told them that this is the case. All verified fan sales on TM for presales and general sales are lottery in terms of who gets a code.  When you register for shows on TM, they send you a confirmation email that states the lottery system.. This is how Verified Fan  works on TM.

On 11/15/2017 at 11:20 AM, Sherry said:

So, yeah - the fans who were shut out don't have a leg to stand on at the moment, and I can understand why the mods are having to dig out of a backlog longer than they've ever had to do before becuase it wasn't crystal clear to the fan club what it all meant - that we were entering a LOTTERY system through verification. That having an assigned presale group wasn't the confirmation...that setting up your account wasn't enough. That in some cases, being a member of the fanclub since its inception online wasn't enough. It's a tough pill to swallow and it's justified.

I'm confused, is this really a true lottery system, or is it merely the algorithm trying to skim the scalpers and bots off the top?  I listened to BigWave on the podcast and my understanding was that as long as the algorithm didn't have reason to identify you as a scalper, then you'd get a code.   Now, I can still understand some complaints about the nuts and bolts of how to implement that - false positives by the algorithm and such.  I'm not saying that's small potatoes.  BUT, that is different than a true lottery system where it's truly random - i.e. simply an attempt to manage by numbers.   Am I understanding this wrong?   And even though Sherry's quote does include a reference to being randomly selected - that link is to the Ticketmaster VerifiedFan Presale, not the U2.com Verified Subscriber presale.

Edited by zooclemson
  • Like 1

also, I can't get over the thru the roof pricing on 1st level - 3rd level seat pricing.  325 each? Thats really insane.. And to think back in the day U2 was all about keeping their pricing down and having the best seats at the lowest prices.  Now that is pretty much history. at least with seats.. GAs seem to be about the same. Never had problems with U2 presales in the past. this a first for me. I find it crazy that the GAs were non existent for a lot of the shows esp DC.. There were none available on tuesday and yet they were all on stubhub at stupid crazy high prices.. This verified fan thing does not deter scalpers it promotes them.

40 minutes ago, Crazyu2fan said:

many fans contacted TM  while the presales were going on and they told them that this is the case. All verified fan sales on TM for presales and general sales are lottery in terms of who gets a code.  When you register for shows on TM, they send you a confirmation email that states the lottery system.. This is how Verified Fan  works on TM.

The ticketmaster customer service staff didn't understand the difference between verified subscriber and verified fan and gave out incorrect information..  verified subscriber is brand new, starting with this U2 tour..  if you are "verified" as a subscriber, you're supposed to get a code, guaranteed.  there was no lottery.  i can say this with 100% certainty.   the "verified fan" thing is what ticketmaster is trying to promote.  that is what they used for the citi and public sale.  that is a true random lottery.

Just got off the help line ... again.... (wait... im laughing as im typing "help"). this whole farce has been nothing but bollocks!!! definitely letting my membership run out this year... whats the point anymore? when we are no longer guaranteed access to pre-sale? U2 and U2 fan club you are freakin kidding yourselves here.. just beyond disappointed and  I feel shafted by people I have been extremely loyal to over the years. BOO!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, nina5158 said:

Just got off the help line ... again.... (wait... im laughing as im typing "help"). this whole farce has been nothing but bollocks!!! definitely letting my membership run out this year... whats the point anymore? when we are no longer guaranteed access to pre-sale? U2 and U2 fan club you are freakin kidding yourselves here.. just beyond disappointed and  I feel shafted by people I have been extremely loyal to over the years. BOO!

I sent a note to U2.com expressing disappointment, and requesting the early renewal of my membership be cancelled.  I told them I have stuck with my membership through non-touring years solely to get best possible access to GA tickets, and that I won't be renewing unless I visible changes are made for future pre-sales.  Under current management, losing  fanclub revenue is the only thing I can think of that could change minds.

started a thread in the zoo subscribers general forum but won't let me post link here!, if you had no luck at all and presale did not work your way, please add you name in there, thanks

• Upvote 1

As a general thought, I predict renewed subscriptions in the US will drop dramatically in the next subscription round. 

5 hours ago, dugadams said:

Guess which website still hasn't posted anything? 

Everything atu2 has been doing has been through Twitter right now. Fan stories have been shared via Twitter. My initial post here was originally shared on the atu2 twitter feed as official reporting. The presales have yet to conclude, information is still being gathered and an article will be written soon.

4 hours ago, zooclemson said:

I'm confused, is this really a true lottery system, or is it merely the algorithm trying to skim the scalpers and bots off the top?  I listened to BigWave on the podcast and my understanding was that as long as the algorithm didn't have reason to identify you as a scalper, then you'd get a code.   Now, I can still understand some complaints about the nuts and bolts of how to implement that - false positives by the algorithm and such.  I'm not saying that's small potatoes.  BUT, that is different than a true lottery system where it's truly random - i.e. simply an attempt to manage by numbers.   Am I understanding this wrong?   And even though Sherry's quote does include a reference to being randomly selected - that link is to the Ticketmaster VerifiedFan Presale, not the U2.com Verified Subscriber presale.

What was explained to Bigwave to share on the podcast was not the case, so he was given bad information, imho. Some legit fan club members were accused of being a scalper when they called Ticketmaster / Live Nation about the fan club code issue. The U2.com Verified Subscriber presale language did not include the Ticketmaster Verified presale language - thus the confusion regarding the "random selection." This signals to me that whoever with U2.com responsible for that text was not aware of what Verified Fan really meant, nor mirrored that text. Ultimately, the Verified Fan rules are Ticketmaster's, so just because U2.com didn't list the fine print, the sale is still subject to the fine print of the one doing the sale - which is Ticketmaster. This is where some of the confusion and, ultimately disappointment is based. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sherry said:

Everything atu2 has been doing has been through Twitter right now. Fan stories have been shared via Twitter. My initial post here was originally shared on the atu2 twitter feed as official reporting. The presales have yet to conclude, information is still being gathered and an article will be written soon.

Again, I know you do not want to risk party guests and no one wants to lose special access, but I would THINK you would act now to prevent this shit storm from happening when the new dates come out.  But that's just me?

you can do better - show us you care more about the fans than your access - you guys parade around it your At U2 "Staff" shirts and acting like it is a real job... how about being half of a journalist? 

Edited by dugadams

4 hours ago, Crazyu2fan said:

Peggy i disagree the band have a say in things down the line and make the decisions.. It's their name here on the bill. The band are well aware of what is going on and granted not right away but are. Case in point as have been mentioned by several people of the very similar fiasco in 2005/Vertigo tour.. I posted the article about Larry's statement on the matter.. Once they made the statement they rectified the situation.

I still have the E-mail he sent out to us! I guess its just hard for me to believe that they knew TicketMaster was going to hold back the GA's from us............Who knows, maybe they are just tired of the same faces on the floor.

45 minutes ago, dugadams said:

Again, I know you do not want to risk party guests and no one wants to lose special access, but I would THINK you would act now to prevent this shit storm from happening when the new dates come out.  But that's just me?

you can do better - show us you care more about the fans than your access 

That is very unfair to atU2.. They are fans themselves, and are equally frustrated.  Sherry has posted here, and been vocal on the Twitter feed.  What would a ranting article possibly accomplish?

46 minutes ago, peggy said:

I still have the E-mail he sent out to us! I guess its just hard for me to believe that they knew TicketMaster was going to hold back the GA's from us............Who knows, maybe they are just tired of the same faces on the floor.

Holding back GA = people forced to buy more expensive seats if they want to see the show.  The GA's are reasonably priced and will sell regardless.   The same is not necessarily true for a $390 ticket. I would like to believe that's not the intent of U2, but I would think Ticketmaster and LiveNation has this down to a science.

Edited by bjornlodd

10 minutes ago, bjornlodd said:

That is very unfair to atU2.. They are fans themselves, and are equally frustrated.  Sherry has posted here, and been vocal on the Twitter feed.  What would a ranting article possibly accomplish?

They could put up a petition to STOP this ridiculous bull shit 

atU2 lauds their position as something real with shirts and talk of being "fired."   They take themselves very serious.  Time to step up.

8 minutes ago, dugadams said:

They could put up a petition to STOP this ridiculous bull shit 

atU2 lauds their position as something real with shirts and talk of being "fired."   They take themselves very serious.  Time to step up.

I'll leave it as disagreeing to disagree.  Based on the reactions here and on Twitter, it should be obvious to the U2 organization that they alienating their fans.  A petition from atU2 or other fansite will (in my opinion) not add anything to that conversation.  Constructive and diplomatic feedback through atU2's contact may, and Sherry has indeed indicated they are doing that. 

1 hour ago, dugadams said:

you can do better - show us you care more about the fans than your access - you guys parade around it your At U2 "Staff" shirts and acting like it is a real job... how about being half of a journalist? 

You are directing your anger at the wrong place.

The people who ultimately and finally signed off and agreed the process are responsible for the situation. Not fansites, nor forum Mods

Also journalists (good ones at least) wait for the facts to shake out, wait until the end of the event in question, and collate information with suggestions to make sure this won't happen again.. as opposed to firing off in-the-heat-of-the-moment rants. I very much understand why you are angry, and I would be too in the circumstances, buts lets direct it to the people actually responsible. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, markreed said:

You are directing your anger at the wrong place.

The people who ultimately and finally signed off and agreed the process are responsible for the situation. Not fansites, nor forum Mods

Also journalists (good ones at least) wait for the facts to shake out, wait until the end of the event in question, and collate information with suggestions to make sure this won't happen again.. as opposed to firing off in-the-heat-of-the-moment rants. I very much understand why you are angry, and I would be too in the circumstances, buts lets direct it to the people actually responsible. 

To add to this, from the @U2 fansite About/FAQs:

"This site is not produced by, nor affiliated with, any or all members of U2 and/or its management. This site is produced by U2 fans for U2 fans"

Is this your main job? Do you run this site for a living?

No. Everyone on staff "works" for @U2 as a volunteer/hobbyist. 

53 minutes ago, bjornlodd said:

Holding back GA = people forced to buy more expensive seats if they want to see the show.  The GA's are reasonably priced and will sell regardless.   The same is not necessarily true for a $390 ticket. I would like to believe that's not the intent of U2, but I would think Ticketmaster and LiveNation has this down to a science.

Ticketmaster convinced themselves that the U2 "loyal Followers", would be willing and happy to pay the big bucks. Boy, did they Ever miss judge us!!

At U2 = sad. 

In spite of the staff shirts 

they think they are special. 

They are proving otherwise this week