Sign in to follow this  
AMT1979

Placing blame where it really belongs -- fans

There's plenty of anger on this board, and rightfully so.  But what seems to be missing from the discussion is the role that some fans play.  Those who buy tickets from scalpers share some of the blame, as do those who grab up extra tickets with their presale codes and then sell them at a mark-up on Craigslist later.  I saw that happen at one of the JT30 shows.  Since the ticket limit was 4 instead of 2, we happened to be standing next to someone who bought 4 and sold the extra 2 on Craigslist.   

So, let's have some standards here, folks.  If you know right now that you cannot go to the show, don't buy tickets.  If you know that you're going alone, don't buy two just because you think you can make a quick buck later on the extra ticket.  Leave it for someone who can go.  And don't buy tickets from scalpers.  Personally, I would rather miss a show than give money to a scalper.  I wish more people felt the same way.

**stepping off my soapbox now**

• Upvote 1

I think the Dave Matthews Band does something clever to discourage people from scalping tickets purchased from their fanclub.  All of their fanclub tickets are printed on special paper different from the usual Ticketmaster tickets, and each ticket has the membership number of the fan who purchased them, which makes it a lot easier for them to track tickets as they're listed on eBay and other sites.  If you get caught reselling a ticket for anything above face value, you lose your membership.  They also have a seniority system; I've been a member since they opened in 1999.  In theory, I could make good money trying to scalp those tickets, but moral issues aside, it's not worth the chance that I could lose my ticketing privileges forever.

For the 2015 and 2017 tours, with the exception of New York state where Credit Card Entry is illegal, I think all fanclub tickets and all GA tickets were CCE only and weren't allowed to be transferred, which has the potential to eliminate scalping.  Ticketmaster and the venues have a little work to do to make CCE truly scalper-proof, but it's a good idea that just needs a little fine tuning and enforcement of the rules already listed.  For this presale, it didn't seem that those restrictions were in place anymore.

I'm certainly a fan of policies that make it so that fan club holders are the only ones who can use fan club tickets.

while what you say is totally true, that in no way excuses TM and U2 from totally pooching the system designed to stop that.

2 minutes ago, dwenn said:

while what you say is totally true, that in no way excuses TM and U2 from totally pooching the system designed to stop that.

^^^^^^  This , Ticketmaster doing their own scalping is terrible ........  now with this verified thing they have the keys to the Castle .

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dwenn said:

Can't argue with that.

I think fan club tickets should be pretty limited so that only the fanclub member who bought them can use them.  CCE is meant to do this.  The problem is that Ticketmaster and the venues allow for loopholes that shouldn't exist.  Ticketmaster allows this by letting people purchase with a disposable credit card, even though the fine print says that's not allowed, in practice, they don't stop it.  And the venues usually don't religiously check ID and credit cards, so they're not looking to crack down on people exploiting loopholes.  Enforce the rules as they already exist on the books, and that would take a huge chunk out of scalping.

1 hour ago, vertigojds said:

I think the Dave Matthews Band does something clever to discourage people from scalping tickets purchased from their fanclub.  All of their fanclub tickets are printed on special paper different from the usual Ticketmaster tickets, and each ticket has the membership number of the fan who purchased them, which makes it a lot easier for them to track tickets as they're listed on eBay and other sites.  If you get caught reselling a ticket for anything above face value, you lose your membership.  They also have a seniority system; I've been a member since they opened in 1999.  In theory, I could make good money trying to scalp those tickets, but moral issues aside, it's not worth the chance that I could lose my ticketing privileges forever.

For the 2015 and 2017 tours, with the exception of New York state where Credit Card Entry is illegal, I think all fanclub tickets and all GA tickets were CCE only and weren't allowed to be transferred, which has the potential to eliminate scalping.  Ticketmaster and the venues have a little work to do to make CCE truly scalper-proof, but it's a good idea that just needs a little fine tuning and enforcement of the rules already listed.  For this presale, it didn't seem that those restrictions were in place anymore.

I'm certainly a fan of policies that make it so that fan club holders are the only ones who can use fan club tickets.

I like Pearl Jam's way of doing it. You put in a request for tickets at a specific show and what section and then you either get the tickets or don't. Usually you do. You still have the public onsale to try and get tickets too. Then you have to pick up the fan club tickets at will call on the day of the show. Now you could go out on the street and sell them, but trying to unload tickets on the day of the show a couple of hours before show time usually isn't going to be a payout for a scalper. They make all their money months/weeks in advance not on the day of the show.

The verified fan program is nothing but hot garbage. Ticketmaster is only excluding fans of the band. Scalpers will always get their tickets. Also, the ticket prices aren't set by the band. That is set by the promoter. The band has already made their money. It's the promoter who is inflating the costs of the tickets trying to make their money back (and then some). In this case, it's Live Nation who also owns Ticketmaster. How convenient.

Edited by 2000_man

CCE is bull crap. I'm buying tickets (hopefully) for a show six months from now in a different city. Things happen in life. If I can't attend the show I should be able to sell them. 

As far as 'caring' about their fans, Pearl Jam walks the walk. $20/ year. Affordable tickets.

U2?  It's all about the dollars, euros, and pesos. Achtung, baby.

Edited by nlhouden
add text

Has any band ever tried just selling the tickets through a sealed bid auction type setup?  I always thought that could be a good solution where the biggest fans would bid more and set the price. And since the bids set the actual market price it would mean less profit and opportunity for scalpers who count on the actual value of the tickets being worth more than the initial sales price. 

What I was thinking is you go to a website prior to a deadline and select the number of seats and area of the arena/stadium where you would like those seats and what you are willing to pay and give them a credit card number. During auction time the computer just goes down the list from highest to lowest filling each section from best to worst seats. 

Edited by seanclv